What's new

India refuses to attend Saarc conference in Pakistan

It is simple Sir...economics cannot be held hostage to political bickerings...things have to move...the future is extra national unions such as European Union...it is prudent for India to explore trading unions with BD, China, Nepal, Bhutan, Burma, Vietnam and Thailand etc.., while Pakistan can do the same with central asia and middle east.
Countries are leaving and thinking about leaving European Union as well sir.

Countries are leaving and thinking about leaving European Union as well sir.

And we see what is happening with UK's economy, already pound is down by 31%. Bigger markets make less transactional costs and more economics of scale/learning and that will attract more investments.

UK leaving the EU is less to do with economics and more with immigration

And we see what is happening with UK's economy, already pound is down by 31%. Bigger markets make less transactional costs and more economics of scale/learning and that will attract more investments.

UK leaving the EU is less to do with economics and more with immigration
But they CLAIM they will be back. The market prediction is the same. This is something only time will tell.

But they CLAIM they will be back. The market prediction is the same. This is something only time will tell.

Economics say something else. One of the big component of international trade is tariff and other extraneous costs. A trade union reduces it, and an economic union eliminates it. That reduction or elimination of extraneous costs acts as a big incentives for investors as they get higher return. And for corporates, they can pass that cost reductions to consumers and moreover a bigger markets means more revenues.

Economics say something else. One of the big component of international trade is tariff and other extraneous costs. A trade union reduces it, and an economic union eliminates it. That reduction or elimination of extraneous costs acts as a big incentives for investors as they get higher return. And for corporates, they can pass that cost reductions to consumers and moreover a bigger markets means more revenues.
I understand (the best i can as i am no economist) however what i am trying to say is that nations are STILL experimenting with that (like UK did) and it will be only after a few months that the real effects will be clear.

India refuses to attend Saarc conference in Pakistan
By Kamran Yousuf
Published: August 23, 2016
Indian Finance Minister Arun Jaitley. PHOTO: NDTV

ISLAMABAD: Indian Finance Minister Arun Jaitley will not travel to Pakistan for this week’s ministerial conference of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) countries, officials said on Tuesday.

In a latest sign of simmering tensions between the two neighbours, diplomatic sources confirmed to The Express Tribune that the Indian finance secretary will not represent his country at the SAARC finance ministers meeting in Islamabad on August 25.

Kashmir unrest: SAARC summit shrouded in uncertainty

The decision to not send Jaitley suggests growing tensions between the two countries.

Finance Minister Ishaq Dar was believed to have been ready to receive his Indian counterpart at the airport in an attempt to create a better atmosphere for the SAARC conference.

Earlier this month, Indian Home Minister Rajnath Singh traveled to Islamabad to attend the SAARC interior ministers meeting. However, his visited ended in more hostilities between the two neighbours as they used the SAARC platform to accuse each other over the ongoing violence in Indian controlled Kashmir.

The Indian decision to downgrade its representation at the SAARC finance ministers meeting is seen as a setback and may not augur well for the summit that Pakistan is set to host in November.

Rest in peace SAARC: The tug of war between India and Pakistan

The fate of the key regional summit is shrouded in uncertainty due to a seething diplomatic tiff between Pakistan and India over unabated brutalities of Indian security forces in the disputed Himalayan region of Kashmir.

The Saarc summit is scheduled to take place in Islamabad in November. Though the meeting is more than two months away, Pakistani officials are unsure if it will go ahead as planned in the wake of escalating tensions between Pakistan and India.

India, like other countries, had earlier confirmed its participation, said the official who spoke to The Express Tribune on condition of anonymity because he is not authorised to speak to the media on the record.

Since 2004, this is the first time Pakistan is hosting the Saarc summit. The then Indian prime minister, Atal Behari Vajpayee, had travelled to Islamabad after months of tensions between the two countries. Vajpayee’s meeting with President Gen Pervez Musharraf on the fringes of the summit led to a major breakthrough as the two sides agreed to resume bilateral dialogue to discuss all outstanding issues, including Kashmir.

The problem with SAARC

However, this time the situation appears to be different as relations between the two countries have gone from bad to worse over the past few weeks. The main cause of friction is the ongoing unrest in Indian Kashmir. New Delhi is upset over Islamabad’s ‘aggressive diplomacy’ on Kashmir by highlighting human rights violations being committed by Indian security forces in the disputed valley.

In an attempt to counter Pakistan’s move, Indian Prime Minister Modi in his Independence Day speech accused Islamabad of committing human rights violation in Balochistan.

Kashmir not internal problem of India: Organisation of Islamic Cooperation

Officials said Modi’s rhetoric suggested that he might not travel to Pakistan for the Saarc summit. However, officials said a visit of India’s Finance Minister Arun Jaitely for this week’s Saarc ministerial conference in Islamabad would give a clear indication whether or not Modi would participate in the summit.
From doctored threads to Doctored headlines...

India did not refuse to attend the SAARC meeting in Pakistan... India will send its Fiance Secretary in SAARC finance Minister's conclave... No opportunity for Pakistani Finance Minister to invite ministers for Lunch and then vanish claiming that he has a meeting... like Pakistani Interior Minister did in Inter Minister's conclave.

I understand (the best i can as i am no economist) however what i am trying to say is that nations are STILL experimenting with that (like UK did) and it will be only after a few months that the real effects will be clear.

Countries understand the enormous benefits of economic unions, but economic unions also mean loss of jobs in certain sectors to other countries in that union that can produce the goods for lesser costs. So countries weight the long term benefits with short term losses to form an opinion towards joining an economic union. Yes, for this precise reason, experimenting whether to join a union will be there. But, in spite of UK's case, I believe the prevalence of unions will grow.

Countries understand the enormous benefits of economic unions, but economic unions also mean loss of jobs in certain sectors to other countries in that union that can produce the goods for lesser costs. So countries weight the long term benefits with short term losses to form an opinion towards joining an economic union. Yes, for this precise reason, experimenting whether to join a union will be there. But, in spite of UK's case, I believe the prevalence of unions will grow.
That is what you beleive sir. All i am saying that the reality will be disclosed in a few months, a year or two max. Till then i wont bet on it. However that is my personal choice and surely you are free to make yours. :)

So much for hopes and claims of debate and discussion and the "door" being open and all. :(

@Joe Shearer @hellfire @Levina @WAJsal
When was the last time you were humiliated by someone?
For how long did you hold that grudge?
Did you react? if so, how?
If not, why?

Arsalan bro, we are not talking of 2 individuals here, these are 2 nations with millions of people. The common sentiment of the nation has to be honored, every political party obliges to it.
The door to peace is open and will remain open, be assured. But i expect Pak govt and military to build bridges and not burn them.
It was not so long back that our HM was humiliated in a SAARC meeting held at Pakistan, that incident will stay as a razor sharp knife in the memory of my countrymen. Anyone with a lil self respect would have reacted to such incident, so did our politicians.

When was the last time you were humiliated by someone?
For how long did you hold that grudge?
Did you react? if so, how?
If not, why?
As a person? Not so sure really but i do know i am not one who will hold grudge against someone for too long. :)
As a nation, well i face it every day. Dont you see this all over the forum? :) Lolz

Arsalan bro, we are not talking of 2 individuals here, these are 2 nations with millions of people. The common sentiment of the nation has to be honored, every political party obliges to it.
The door to peace is open and will remain open, be assured. But i expect Pak govt and military to build bridges and not burn them.
It was not so long back that our HM was humiliated in a SAARC meeting held at Pakistan, that incident will stay as a razor sharp knife in the memory of my countrymen. Anyone with a lil self respect would have reacted to such incident, so did our politicians.
As for HM being humiliated, you have read the details as well. Asking question is not humiliation! That is what the meetings are for! To discuss the issues to resolve them, to highlight the problems we think the nations face and go give words to the sentiments of the nation those ministers and gov. officials represent! There was no need to read too much into that situation to begin with as long as it was disagreement we are actually trying to resolve here. I do not see how top officials from both sides sitting on a table and buttering each other and agreeing with every thing will resolves the things we call "problems".
Also by keeping the door open, one is being the bigger brother and claiming to sit and talk out all the pending problems and work out a solution. We say that the door is open, you say the door is open! You claim that we humiliated your HM, we claim that your HM or Gov. walked out of this round of talk! Where is that "open door" ? All i see if bickering and blaming!

Its because we don't offer the vegetarian menu, the grass is pretty green though in Islamabad.

hahaha
jo ch nsar ne kutty wali ki hai us k bahad to modi kdr ata hai

As a person? Not so sure really but i do know i am not one who will hold grudge against someone for too long. :)
As a nation, well i face it every day. Dont you see this all over the forum? :) Lolz

As for HM being humiliated, you have read the details as well. Asking question is not humiliation! That is what the meetings are for! To discuss the issues to resolve them, to highlight the problems we think the nations face and go give words to the sentiments of the nation those ministers and gov. officials represent! There was no need to read too much into that situation to begin with as long as it was disagreement we are actually trying to resolve here. I do not see how top officials from both sides sitting on a table and buttering each other and agreeing with every thing will resolves the things we call "problems".
Also by keeping the door open, one is being the bigger brother and claiming to sit and talk out all the pending problems and work out a solution. We say that the door is open, you say the door is open! You claim that we humiliated your HM, we claim that your HM or Gov. walked out of this round of talk! Where is that "open door" ? All i see if bickering and blaming!

But in here people took that as a humiliation.
I think you knows that like in Pakistan things are already changed a lot in India .For a lots of Indians,bilateral relation with Pakistan is just a waste and burden .Majority of them like to reduce our relations with Pakistan.
Unlike previous generations of people and leaders that saw before 1947 ,new generation youths dont like when someone questions our integral part of nation.
Pakistan is doing that same thing again and again which causes much hates among Indians .In addition things like Pathankot,26/11 even affects people to people relations

Pakistanis is feeling much disturbed when our PM merely mentions that HR violations in Balochistan .Samething here when you mentions about Kashmir.

If things goes like this people themselves will say to reduce our relation with your nation.
Sir they wont say the same when that comes to China.Because we have a lots of commercial business with them.
But when it comes to Pakistan neither a good relation nor a good trade

Bimari ilaj say behtar hai..
bimari ko dour hi rahna chahiyay..

But in here people took that as a humiliation.
I think you knows that like in Pakistan things are already changed a lot in India .For a lots of Indians,bilateral relation with Pakistan is just a waste and burden .Majority of them like to reduce our relations with Pakistan.
Unlike previous generations of people and leaders that saw before 1947 ,new generation youths dont like when someone questions our integral part of nation.
Pakistan is doing that same thing again and again which causes much hates among Indians .In addition things like Pathankot,26/11 even affects people to people relations

Pakistanis is feeling much disturbed when our PM merely mentions that HR violations in Balochistan .Samething here when you mentions about Kashmir.

If things goes like this people themselves will say to reduce our relation with your nation.
Sir they wont say the same when that comes to China.Because we have a lots of commercial business with them.
But when it comes to Pakistan neither a good relation nor a good trade

if i spread my both hands on opposite direction and gather all kind of galiyan and gifted to modi will be honor to him but the way indian respect him you be surprise...
sikhs and muslims all over india wants to have good relations with Pakistan i dont know where in world you are living i have seen from us to far east they work together live together rather than other nationalities..
i have indian friends they almost from every part of india... i belive you talking about for those who grew up in front of TV or RSS camp...
you cant take one step further if you indians wont solve kashmir's issue.. and you know either you wont play cricket with Pakistan, involve in SL team attack, beat pakistani actors comedians or singers.. dont send your deligations to Pakistan, you cant do more than what you have done.... we still standing there where you left the issue, you wanna run around in circles keep running...
Kashmir is unsolve issue between Pak and ind..

Back
Top Bottom