What's new

India - Pakistan conflict analysis - aims, tactics, strategy, results

Continuing the previous post

Op Mailed Fist was an ambitious plan whose objective may possibly be investing Amritsar. If Pakistan was able capture or even lay siege to Amritsar it may well have brought a favourable outcome to her war aims ; which neither Gibraltar nor Grand Slam could achieve. The plan was also kept as top secret even from senior officers till 6th September.
It also appears that IA was unable to locate the 1st Armd. Divn and thus was truly taken by surprise.
So it seems that the plan had a reasonably good chance of success, it achieved surprise, drove back attacking forces in disorder and pressed home with alacrity could very well keep the demoralised troops of 4th mtn under pressure and achieve its aims. Speed was vital for it’s success.
However just as Grand Slam PA again gave IA a breather. Khem Karan which was to be the launchpad for the armoured Blitzkrieg was captured only on 8th . This gave IA the vital time needed to gather up her battered units and stiffen them up for the upcoming invasion. It also gave India to make defensive preparations which as it turned out was just enough to blunt the only PA counterstroke of the war
@Joe Shearer ,@PanzerKiel

@Joe Shearer
any plans for launch of PA riposte?

Yes Sir, although I am bed-ridden, I have finished the draft, and requested a friend to look through it; hope to upload the remaining portion covering XI Corps by tomorrow/day after. I am sorry about the delays, but it has been a difficult time.

The narrative is covered up to the failed attempts to attack Kasur once again, in the vain hope that there would be a numbed response.

Yes Sir, although I am bed-ridden, I have finished the draft, and requested a friend to look through it; hope to upload the remaining portion covering XI Corps by tomorrow/day after. I am sorry about the delays, but it has been a difficult time.

The narrative is covered up to the failed attempts to attack Kasur once again, in the vain hope that there would be a numbed response.

Do please get well soon.

Do please get well soon.

It's an incurable disease, dear Sir; it's old age! Even a year ago, I had twice this animation and energy.

Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni, nec pietas moram
rugis et instanti senectae
adferet indomitaeque morti......

Alas, friend Postumus,
The years glide swiftly by,
Nor will righteousness give pause,
To wrinkles, to advancing age,
Or to invincible Death.

How I wish I had made your acquaintance even a year earlier.

@meghdut

This is indicative of the kind of 'normalisation' we discussed. The Pakistan Army point of view has to be included to give us a balanced narrative. Note the impact on 15 Division in general, and on 16 Punjab in particular, as specific themes that need incorporation when dealing with 15 Division and with 7 Division.

Coming to PA 10 Division.
They overall mounted a good defence of their area. Their rehearsals and thorough briefing did pay off. Initial allocation of resources, initial dispositions and location was Divisional reserves were also sound.

The most outstanding feature of 10 Division battle was their sound perception of IA ops. For this Divisional staff should be lauded.

Launching of Divisional reserves (22 Brigade) within 48 hours from an unexpected direction not only reflects on the accurate reading of the battle but also GOC's boldness. Due to the aggressive posture of 10 Division, IA 15 Division was thrown off balance.

However, 10 Division made some mistake as well...like units were frequently broken and dished out. Dograi debacle could have been avoided if the integrity of 16 PR could have been ensured. Its depth company, which was from another unit, vacated the defences without informing 16 PR which had dire consequences later on.

PAF and PA artillery played their customary roles and were instrumental in all the engagements.

@meghdut

This is indicative of the kind of 'normalisation' we discussed. The Pakistan Army point of view has to be included to give us a balanced narrative. Note the impact on 15 Division in general, and on 16 Punjab in particular, as specific themes that need incorporation when dealing with 15 Division and with 7 Division.
Okay I got it.

Back
Top Bottom