What's new

India - Pakistan conflict analysis - aims, tactics, strategy, results

@PanzerKiel @Joe Shearer
General K.M Arif(VCOAS and man behind Pak response to Brasstacks) writes in his book, Khaki Shadows that GoP had authorised the raising of a new Corps HQs for Offensive operations. The new Corps would've been compromised of 1st Armd div and 7ID. But when the file was presented before Musa Khan, he rejected if saying: We don't want another lieutenant general to be lurking around in the GHQ" !
This means that there were no budgetary constraints as far as this issue is concerned.
Imagine if there was a corps hq to handle the ops in Khem kharan, almost all of the reasons (on PA's side) for the debacle would've been brushed aside...

@PanzerKiel @Joe Shearer
General K.M Arif(VCOAS and man behind Pak response to Brasstacks) writes in his book, Khaki Shadows that GoP had authorised the raising of a new Corps HQs for Offensive operations. The new Corps would've been compromised of 1st Armd div and 7ID. But when the file was presented before Musa Khan, he rejected if saying: We don't want another lieutenant general to be lurking around in the GHQ" !
This means that there were no budgetary constraints as far as this issue is concerned.
Imagine if there was a corps hq to handle the ops in Khem kharan, almost all of the reasons (on PA's side) for the debacle would've been brushed aside...
Did you have a look at the discussion guided by @PanzerKiel?

Did you have a look at the discussion guided by @PanzerKiel?
I spent almost 2-3 months to read the whole discussion very carefully almost a year ago. Has helped alot in maturing of thoughts and clearing of misconception. It was better than any book written on Indo-Pak wars due to brevity and being devoid of emotions.

I spent almost 2-3 months to read the whole discussion very carefully almost a year ago. Has helped alot in maturing of thoughts and clearing of misconception. It was better than any book written on Indo-Pak wars due to brevity and being devoid of emotions.
My point was based on that narrative.

There were two phases to that battle, were there not? One phase where the Indian forces penetrated to Kasur and were very badly bruised. The second was when they fell back behind the border, and took up positions between the Khem Karan road and Amritsar, and were attacked by armour. Do you remember?

My point was based on that narrative.

There were two phases to that battle, were there not? One phase where the Indian forces penetrated to Kasur and were very badly bruised. The second was when they fell back behind the border, and took up positions between the Khem Karan road and Amritsar, and were attacked by armour. Do you remember?
Yes I do.
I will try to post pictures of maps from LTG Mahmud's book tomorrow

Yes I do.
I will try to post pictures of maps from LTG Mahmud's book tomorrow
That would be lovely, but I was coming up to the question you posed.

What, in your opinion, after reading that account, went right at Kasur? What went wrong?

Similarly, what went right at Khem Karan (let us call it that, although events took place a little up the Amritsar road)? What went wrong?

Looking at these four sets of circumstances might give you a strong foundation from which to consider if the Corps formation might have solved the problem, or not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom