What's new

India may transfer some Migs to Srilanka: Source

Tejas cannot be sold to SL as engines are western and are restricted for SL ...
According to who? Since when was Sri Lanka under a Western arms embargo? The SLAF operates the AMERICAN C-130, Bell 206,212, 412 and the IAI Kafir (powered by a GE engine also).

Or do you just want this to be true?

I too don't see this being all that likely for a number of reasons, primarily the fact that Sri Lanka's capital expenditure in its defence budget is almost negligable.

+ Sri Lanka will never have a blue water navy.

Yes you are correct as thats what even i have thought initially. But seems USA has been courting Sri Lanka especially as they had emphasized the USN role and India's role in Indian Oceanic Region for protecting trade and economic interests. US support in UNHRC issue in favor of Sri Lanka was in response to Prez Sirisena implementing the advisory of USA about Defence part. When Samatha Power visited Sri lanka, the US press release had this small release para

The military relations do not include - as it is a well known fact - Foreign Military Sales (FMS) and International Military Education Training program (IMET) extended to Sri Lanka under the US State Department Appropriation Act each year but well beyond that.

Enhancing military relations, as the State Department press release noted, is beyond the sale of military equipment and training as such facilities are extended when Sri Lanka was in an internal battle with a secessionist movement Tamil Tigers. An enhanced FMS and/or IMET at this juncture is not required as the secessionist war was completed about five years ago but normal military equipment sales.

What i do believe is at best Sri Lankan Navy can grow but blue water capability looks a bit ambitious. Perhaps to keep China out of Sri Lanka and looking for a US logistical support in Southern India or in Sri Lanka, USA may be support Prez Sirisena's ambition of building a Navy

In fact Prez Sirisena after visit to Thailand and USA has always spoken about more military cooperation between Sri Lankan navy and forces of countries he had visited. But he rarely ever mentioned the other defence forces like Air Force.

So topdown approach seems Naval expansion.. Ambition may be blue water capabilities but that may require very long time perhaps 3+ decades and a much larger economy to support such a ambition. but in next decade or so 4-6 ships from India or may be few more from other sources or second hand ships purchase seems to be the primary focus. Add to that some US supported normal military purchases mostly naval.

This implies no funds for SLAF..

Next time offer more benefits and keep the deal confidential to block İndia threatening the customer to cancel the deal.
Also double check your gear to ensure no sabotage occurs for bahrain airshow since tejas would rival your fighter and they seem to use every opportunity in or out of the book.

You Sir make it sound like Tom Clancy Splinter Cell mission for Raw to sabotage JF 17s.. Have some faith in your security establishment.. A low brow stuff like that wont make India get Tejas customers.. A healthy competition is far desirable than underhanded tactics..
Like i said SLAF never had money and their budget was already limited by Prez Sirisena. Even with a line of credit they are locked up for their naval acquisitions for next 4-5 years.. post that its upto JF 17 marketing team to pull up the sales deal.

Yes you are correct as thats what even i have thought initially. But seems USA has been courting Sri Lanka especially as they had emphasized the USN role and India's role in Indian Oceanic Region for protecting trade and economic interests. US support in UNHRC issue in favor of Sri Lanka was in response to Prez Sirisena implementing the advisory of USA about Defence part. When Samatha Power visited Sri lanka, the US press release had this small release para

The military relations do not include - as it is a well known fact - Foreign Military Sales (FMS) and International Military Education Training program (IMET) extended to Sri Lanka under the US State Department Appropriation Act each year but well beyond that.

Enhancing military relations, as the State Department press release noted, is beyond the sale of military equipment and training as such facilities are extended when Sri Lanka was in an internal battle with a secessionist movement Tamil Tigers. An enhanced FMS and/or IMET at this juncture is not required as the secessionist war was completed about five years ago but normal military equipment sales.

What i do believe is at best Sri Lankan Navy can grow but blue water capability looks a bit ambitious. Perhaps to keep China out of Sri Lanka and looking for a US logistical support in Southern India or in Sri Lanka, USA may be support Prez Sirisena's ambition of building a Navy

In fact Prez Sirisena after visit to Thailand and USA has always spoken about more military cooperation between Sri Lankan navy and forces of countries he had visited. But he rarely ever mentioned the other defence forces like Air Force.

So topdown approach seems Naval expansion.. Ambition may be blue water capabilities but that may require very long time perhaps 3+ decades and a much larger economy to support such a ambition. but in next decade or so 4-6 ships from India or may be few more from other sources or second hand ships purchase seems to be the primary focus. Add to that some US supported normal military purchases mostly naval.

This implies no funds for SLAF..
I'm sure the Sri Lankans can devlop a very capable greenwater navy but never a blue water navy- they simply don't have the capacity nor do they require one. Blue Water navies are all about power projection and expedtionary deployments far from your own shores, what use does Sri Lanka have for such capabilities? I just can't see it.

It's like saying Belgium or Ecuador should build blue water navies(both have far larger nominal GDPs than Sri Lanka right now by the way).

Not even the PN will become a blue water navy and their capacity is FAR larger than Sri Lanka's.

Published January 14, 2016
SOURCE: IDRW NEWS NETWORK (INN)

33wxyjd.jpg

After transferring Mi-25 Attack Gunships to Afghanistan on request of Afghan President recently, India is deliberating if a Srilankan request to provide fighter jets for their air force can be taken up after India forced Srilanka to reconsider their decision on making the purchase of Sino-Pakistan developed JF-17 fighter jets.

Well, informed Sources in air force close to idrw.org have informed us that instead of offering Homegrown LCA-Tejas to Srilanka, IAF may transfer some of Upgraded Mig-27 along with Spares to Srilankan Air force at FOC ( Free of Cost).

Srilankan Air force already operates Mig-27 purchased from Ukraine and Russia in past and HAL/IAF have helped train Pilots/Aircrew while Srilankan Military was on offensive against LTTE, Mig-27s along with Kfir fighter jets played crucial roles in Bombing LTTE targets in the last phase of the Civil war.

Indian Air forces already have plans to retire older un-upgraded Mig-27s from its fleet this year on wards and also have plans to phase out upgraded Mig-27s by 2019 along with Mig-21s.
Published January 14, 2016
SOURCE: IDRW NEWS NETWORK (INN)

33wxyjd.jpg

After transferring Mi-25 Attack Gunships to Afghanistan on request of Afghan President recently, India is deliberating if a Srilankan request to provide fighter jets for their air force can be taken up after India forced Srilanka to reconsider their decision on making the purchase of Sino-Pakistan developed JF-17 fighter jets.

Well, informed Sources in air force close to idrw.org have informed us that instead of offering Homegrown LCA-Tejas to Srilanka, IAF may transfer some of Upgraded Mig-27 along with Spares to Srilankan Air force at FOC ( Free of Cost).

Srilankan Air force already operates Mig-27 purchased from Ukraine and Russia in past and HAL/IAF have helped train Pilots/Aircrew while Srilankan Military was on offensive against LTTE, Mig-27s along with Kfir fighter jets played crucial roles in Bombing LTTE targets in the last phase of the Civil war.

Indian Air forces already have plans to retire older un-upgraded Mig-27s from its fleet this year on wards and also have plans to phase out upgraded Mig-27s by 2019 along with Mig-21s.

Good for Srilanka if true. As they don't have any threat in near future. they might create one by going against India to get JF-17.
2ndly, now they can wait and choose between better end product I.e. block-3 vs mki 2.

not bad for India as they now gain some time and come with a product which can compete JF17. But there current position will further detoriate and they will now gonna live with even more lower number as they already down many fighters.

not good for Pakistan as they loose a confirm deal and had to compete again tegas on which they have clear edge right now. Plus this will be an ice breaking order which surely lead to many more order.

As far as block3 vs mki2 is concerned, tejas gonna be equip with more diverse resources while JF17 will have more time and opportunity to be a combat proven platform.

That's only my view.

Indeed, transfering old/phased-out MiGs (21s or 27s) to the SLAF makes much more sense at this stage than the sale of the LCA. Within 3-5 years there are going to be hundreds of former IAF MiGs ready to be scrapped, put on roundabouts, made gate guardians, gifted to technology colleges etc so why not transfer to a freindly nation if they want them? The GoI set the precedent with the Mi-25s to Afghanistan.

Actually this thing came to my mind when the Pakistani members were saying that with JF-17 PAF is giving SLaf some J-7, then why can't gave MIG-21, which have so many retired, and is license manufaturing all the spares including Engine from raw material.

I am in favour of raising Afghanistan Airforce with fixed wing aircraft -- Mig-27 as ground attack, and Mig21 for CAS, and Mig 21UB for training of pilots. India should gave them to Afganistan for free instead of scrapping.

I'm sure the Sri Lankans can devlop a very capable greenwater navy but never a blue water navy- they simply don't have the capacity nor do they require one. Blue Water navies are all about power projection and expedtionary deployments far from your own shores, what use does Sri Lanka have for such capabilities? I just can't see it.

It' like saying Belgium or Ecuador should build blue water navies(both have far larger nominal GDPs than Sri Lanka right now by the way).

Not even the PN will become a blue water navy and their capacity is FAR larger than Sri Lanka's.
You my bro is 100% bang on target but Prez Sirisena is ambitious.. You already know how and who helped him to Presidency.. So dont be surprised if he parroting a jargon used by the influencer/helper .. LOL

To me personally, i think over time, i see perhaps after Deigo may be a base in Sri Lanka for US.. USN takes care of SL Blue water "aspirations".. US gets a base the place they wanted.. India supports that and gets goodies and support.. SLnavy gets a capable navy... Prez Sirisena is happy.. SL gets continuous USA support internationally..

LOL

I am in favour of raising Afghanistan Airforce with fixed wing aircraft -- Mig-27 as ground attack, and Mig21 for CAS, and Mig 21UB for training of pilots. India should gave them to Afganistan for free instead of scrapping.
The trouble with the Aghans is their very limited capacity to absorb such equipment. Right now they are stretched just feilding a limited numer of helicopters and turboprob trainers. Fast jets are not a priority for them and I think that is understandable. That said, a few MiG-27s would be a great addtion to their air force in a few years given its legendary CAS capability, the MiG-21 has almost no utility to them for the foreseeable future.

Good for Srilanka if true. As they don't have any threat in near future. they might create one by going against India to get JF-17.
2ndly, now they can wait and choose between better end product I.e. block-3 vs mki 2.

not bad for India as they now gain some time and come with a product which can compete JF17. But there current position will further detoriate and they will now gonna live with even more lower number as they already down many fighters.

not good for Pakistan as they loose a confirm deal and had to compete again tegas on which they have clear edge right now. Plus this will be an ice breaking order which surely lead to many more order.

As far as block3 vs mki2 is concerned, tejas gonna be equip with more diverse resources while JF17 will have more time and opportunity to be a combat proven platform.

That's only my view.

Very balance answer

The trouble with the Aghans is their very limited capacity to absorb such equipment. Right now they are stretched just feilding a limited numer of helicopters and turboprob trainers. Fast jets are not a priority for them and I think that is understandable. That said, a few MiG-27s would be a great addtion to their air force in a few years given its legendary CAS capability, the MiG-21 has almost no utility to them for the foreseeable future.

You know how about HAL IJT project potential customers be Afghanistan and Sri Lanka?

I don't believe in this news untill I see MIB or MOD or PMO saying this.

Indian media has a history of writing anything and everything under the pretext of " SOURCES ".

You my bro is 100% bang on target but Prez Sirisena is ambitious.. You already know how and who helped him to Presidency.. So dont be surprised if he parroting a jargon used by the influencer/helper .. LOL

To me personally, i think over time, i see perhaps after Deigo may be a base in Sri Lanka for US.. USN takes care of SL Blue water "aspirations".. US gets a base the place they wanted.. India supports that and gets goodies and support.. SLnavy gets a capable navy... Prez Sirisena is happy.. SL gets continuous USA support internationally..

LOL
I really don't think so bro. I'm just thinking logically and a lot of the above is contingent on Prez Srisena but he has, at most, 10 years in office? (could be 5) that is absolutely no time to transform the SLN into anything close to a blue water force, not even into a greenwater force.

Look at the current base of the SLN- they have no submarines, the majority of their navy is effectively a coast guard utilising small patrol vessels, in fact their flagship is a former IN OPV (INS Sarayu). No offence to the SLN but the Indian and Chinese Coast Guards put them to shame.

A blue water navy will have submarines (typically SSNs), LHD/LPD, air craft carriers, FSS etc etc this would take DECADES to acquire and HUGE sums of money (tens, if not hundreds of billions of USD). Today Sri Lanka's entire defence budget (CAPEX and OPEX) stands at around $2.5 Billion/year- you can't build a blue water navy with such limited funds, their navy would get, in a best case scenerio, $300 million a year in CAPEX, the Saryu class NOPVs that are larger than anything the SLN currently operates cost around $100 million each- think about that bro.

There will only be 5-6 blue water navies in the world by 2030-40, not everyone can have one nor do they require one.

You know how about HAL IJT project potential customers be Afghanistan and Sri Lanka?
As long as it isn't forced down the throats of the IAF (who now don't need it) then I'm happy :D

If HAL could arm the IJT then it could be quite an attractive COIN aircraft and very well suited for the Afghans or Sri Lankans.

So changes are just planned on MK1A ... even prototype with all the right configuration is not ready ... so means MK1A will take half a decade atleast to fly ... and you dancing that Tejas has AESA lolzzz
MK1A is MK1 with AESA( A stand for AESA). Only changes apart from FOC version of mk1 will be AESA radar instead of MMR and few little electronic tweaks.

Srilanka will never gonna be a blue water navy. Both India and US will ensure that Lanka gets enough so they won't be dependent on China but they should remain dependent to them and wouldn't be able to shift into Chinese block.
Both US and India don't want Chinese presence in srilanka.

If Srilanka play there card wisely they can get a lot from both US and India.

Srilanka will never gonna be a blue water navy. Both India and US will ensure that Lanka gets enough so they won't be dependent on China but they should remain dependent to them and wouldn't be able to shift into Chinese block.

Well said, @PARIKRAMA this is how I see it too.

And even from China

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom