What's new

India Mars launch stokes Asian space race with China

This is dumb. China is at least a couple of decades ahead of India in launch technology and experience. India is making progress, but hardly a competitor. With that said, China has a long way to go to be a global leader. Our tech is still way behind the US. I hope China will be a global competitor soon with the CZ 5 rockets.

Our tech is still way behind the US. I hope China will be a global competitor soon with the CZ 5 rockets.

And the US is helping by periodically shutting itself down. :cheesy: Any news on SpaceX's Falcon Heavy? I thought it's supposed to be ready this year. Guess not. Can't wait to see humanity's first Moon based observatory operational in December. :china:

Now the delays begin.... :lol:

ISRO's maiden Mars mission delayed

I doubt this thing would launch until 2018 at least.
Chinese high IQ on the display again (although I doubt ur flags).U did not even bother to read the rticle,justtyped the random words and came up with the piece,here's what it says:
The ship-borne communication instruments, which were to track the launch of the Orbiter, are yet to reach the South Pacific Ocean leading to the delay in the mission. Two ships, SCI Yamuna and SCI Nalanda, are carrying the instruments that study the crucial period when the rocket ejects the spacecraft into space. While SCI Nalanda has reached Fiji, where the ships are to be positioned to track and relay real-time data of the launch, the SCI Yamuna has been delayed due to inclement weather conditions in the ocean.

China is building up its deep space tracking network with its Chang'e 2 spacecraft which will reach a distance of over 100 million kilometers from Earth by 2014. Chang'e 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amazing Chang 'e 2 - a courageous heroine, travelling alone in deep space for so long and so far away from home, a brilliant over achiever!

Chinese probe reaches record height in space travel
(Xinhua)

2013-7-15 8:07

english.peopledaily

BEIJING, July 14 (Xinhua) -- China's space probe Chang'e-2 has flown to an outer space about 50 million km from the Earth, marking a new height in the nation's deep space exploration, Chinese scientists said on Sunday.

The probe, which is now "in good conditions", reached the height at around 1 a.m. Sunday Beijing Time, the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defence(SASTIND) said in a statement.

Chang'e-2 will be able to travel to a distance as far as 300 million km away from Earth, according to calculations done by scientists from the Beijing Aerospace Control Center.

Chang'e-2 was launched on Oct. 1, 2010 from Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwest China and later orbited the moon to finish a more extensive probe than its predecessor Chang'e-1.

On June 9, 2011, after finishing its lunar objectives, Chang'e-2 left its lunar orbit for an extended mission to the Earth-Sun L2 Lagrangian point.

change_e_2_mission.jpg

Earth-Sun L2 Lagrangian point and the photo capture of Toutatis

Credit: Xinhuanet and regmedia

Since its blast-off, Chang'e-2 has made multi-faceted achievements: being the first to capture full coverage map of the moon with a resolution of seven meters; being the first object ever to reach the L2 point directly from lunar orbit.

On December 13, 2012, the probe flew by Toutatis, an asteroid about seven million km away from the Earth, making China the fourth after the United States, the European Union and Japan to be able to examine an asteroid by spacecraft.

china-weibo-toutatis-asteroid.jpg

Chang'e 2's pass-by photo shots of the Toutais
Credit: space.com

Chang'e-2's extended missions, which were conducted millions of km away from Earth, have tested China's spacecraft tracking and control network, including two newly built measuring and control stations in the northwest Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region and northeast Heilongjiang province, sources with the SASTIND said in an interview in December 2012.

Chang'e 2's animated path to capture the photos of Toutatis

3-D Toutatis

And that is about as good as Chang'e 2's out-reaching to Mars if she wants to!

Last edited by a moderator:
Best of luck to India.

We Asians need to stop bitching against one another..West keeps us poor, backward, and humiliated..while we do useless d!ck measuring contest, and west adds fuel to the fire.

Collective Progress in 21st century should be Asians' goal...Once we have regained our position of most dominant continent of planet, then we can 'compete' among ourselves. Till then, control your panties...

According to Pallava Bagla, science editor of New Delhi television news and author of a book about India's space efforts, Destination Moon, the country's public are especially excited about the possibility of beating China to the Red Planet.

"If India does beat China to Mars you can imagine the national pride," he told BBC News.

We dont have any issues with the cheerleader as long as they mind their own buz. It is their own money on the project.

Why that idiot wanted to make this provocation. That is not the first instance.

The cheerleaders are doing these childish antics, from test firing their missile, to the supercomputers, to the mumbai infrastructures, to the cw games .... all the fogging time!

You don't have to put down other people's achievement. If this mission is successful the experiences IRSO gain from its primary objectives are more significant than some mere scientific study which has been done many times by other space agencies.

And by saying this:

its primary objectives are more significant than some mere scientific study which has been done many times by other space agencies

you are putting down the Chinese achievements arent you?

Are you aware that every step that we take on the space missions are all fresh starts for us even though some of the landmarks that we've achieved are already historical events for some other space agencies!

Pity the ancient Sumerians, Babylonians, Egyptians, Mayans are gone. I really wish the Greeks would make a come back and start a space race with China and India. Greece was the pinnacle of science and technology for centuries.

Na chinese are not at all good at space tech and research..................not even indians are good at it..........its SUPARCO which leads the space race in asia....all hail SUPARCO.

Thanks.

Earlier in the month, I was contemplating booking October 28, 2013 off work to watch a live Indian launch of its orbiter to Planet Mareekh. While at the same time I kept thinking what if the launch is rescheduled due to bad weather or something and so, I didn't book the day off work.

The launch has now been indeed rescheduled.

Still, I wish ISRO and India all the best.

China is building up its deep space tracking and control network with its Chang'e 2 spacecraft which will reach a distance of over 100 million kilometers from Earth by 2014. Chang'e 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for this. Are there any websites, forums where this probe regularly tracked, reported?

I thought this probe may had been de-activated by now but its good to hear it still has some juice left in it.

Thanks for this. Are there any websites, forums where this probe regularly tracked, reported?

I thought this probe may had been de-activated by now but its good to hear it still has some juice left in it.

Chang'e 2 is kept close enough to the Sun so its solar panels can generated enough electricity. It has no RTG like the Voyager probes do.

And by saying this:

you are putting down the Chinese achievements arent you?

Are you aware that every step that we take on the space missions are all fresh starts for us even though some of the landmarks that we've achieved are already historical events for some other space agencies!

Now you are twisting my words. What I was saying is that the primary objectives of MOM which is to master the deep space flight management is a very important step for IRSO to go through for future missions. Even with much big scientific payload, truthly doubt that this mission will discover something new or useful for ISRO that they can easily obtain from published material from NASA.

I think that China is either very confident about its deep space exploration capability through Chang'e 2 mission or they are just not too serious about Mars mission at this stage because right now focusing on land a rover on the moon is more important than just send a probe to Mars. From that experience, the next China's Mars mission will be a full exploration mission with rover for possible discovery.

Back
Top Bottom