What's new

India in 2012: Strategic and security challenges beckon

"If china extends a graceful hand towards India. I will be the first one to grab it with both hands"

Deputy PM,Home Minister is good.

Modi will be not be able to visit any part of India other than the BJP ruled states..our pseudo secularists, minority groups and 'human rights' organizations will makes sure of that.

But I'd love to see Montek Singh as the FM.

No offence bro, but isn't he the the man who 'redefined' Indian poverty.

Even in China, the majority of growth comes from the private sector. The big state-owned companies make the headlines, the small and medium enterprises make the growth rates.

Well, there are some great public sector companies for sure. But mostly it is the private sector that is driving the growth in India.

Many sectors have seen dramatic improvment in service and affordability soon after they were opened up. For example, getting a telephone connection used to mean a wait of many years earlier. Now, you get it siting at home and with far more reliability.

I get really confused by the politics in India. First everyone was jumping up and down about the BJP, now they seem to hate them?? Same with that Anna guy, do people hate him now?

There are people that support different sides and at different times. Democracy gives you choices and people make sub optimal choices at times.

Leaders should be elected on capability and efficiency. In India it seems to be a PR game (like in the West)... and the funny thing is that Congress has really bad PR even though everyone says they control the media!

Yes, we have a messy democracy. In fact most democracies have some measure of mess.

We can hope that with time, people and democracy will mature in India. I don't think we want a dictatorship in exchange, even if it is more efficient. The lack of institutional checks and balances makes it a possibly worse choice.

Excellent thread CD, I guess it only takes one person to turn the tide and make the environment positive. Happy new year to you and may this year bring prosperity to you and China. :cheers: :china:

Time for India to rise. The demographic dividend can be a blessing or a curse, depending on how well educated your population is. Don't miss this opportunity.

It is the new year. And check the rest of my India-related threads, they are all positive anyway.

Let's hope there are no border aggressions this year and that we may be more constructive towards each other as countries. :tup:

Well I'm assuming you are also including IAF and Indian Navy in it. So the following things are also coming up in 2012:

1) A new assault rifle
2) Attack helicopters for IA
3) MMRCA deal
4) Arjun MK2 trials
5) Nag Helina?

There must be few more things that I missed. Other forum members may enlighten us. :cheers:
well from ur list i doubt ARJUN MK2 & but i am pretty sure about mmrca deal (LOL):lol:

Is that a hope, a wish or just your thinking.

Where there is a challenge, there is an opportunity lurking somewhere.

And we have enough bright and energetic people who will seek out those opportunities and convert them. They have been doing it for the last 6 decades and the process has only accelerated in the last 2 decades.

I am here, I can tell you of the enormous change over the last two decades. Many have begun to appreciate it, some have still not caught up.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

You are right. However steps are being taken to address this.

Trillions are being invested and being planned to be invested over the next decade. It may not yet have the spped of China, it is still quite impressive.

Our friends from Japan and China and West are going to supplement our efforts on this great joureny. With their capital and expertize. ;)

no its the stagnating grain yields, depreciating rupee, and poverty reduction that's not going forward that's most worrying about India.

no its the stagnating grain yields, depreciating rupee, and poverty reduction that's not going forward that's most worrying about India.

stagnating grain yields --- no its not exactly stagnating ... its increasing but at a lesser rate, mainly coz of industrialization ... more n more farmers in poorer part of india is leaving farming and becoming migrant laborers

depreciating rupee -- actually it helps in making indian manufactured goods more cheaper and hence more competitive in international market and also ... thr are record no of inflows from NRIs both in NRE and NRO accounts ... and these increasing inflows has actually reduced india's overall account deficit from 3.7 to 3.6 percent

Poverty Reduction --- actually India is reducing poverty faster than any other lower middle income country than in whole world ... and schemes like NREGA is heavily subsidizing food and fuel to lower income groups, NREGA will prove to be a big burden in longer term(mainly coz congress wants thr vote bank on the cost of development) but still this will make life easier for lower income group... NREGA is a 100 billion $ food and fuel aid program

CD, I have to thank you for the mature outlook you are taking, hopefully other members (myself included) can follow your lead.

It is true, India does have many advantages in its favour, now all GoI/India as a whole has to do is not F**K it up!

+ regarding MMS, all this talk of "incredible India", has in a large part only been made possible by him, both during and before his time as PM. Look at all his achievements despite the SCUM around him.

Last edited by a moderator:
stagnating grain yields --- no its not exactly stagnating ... its increasing but at a lesser rate, mainly coz of industrialization ... more n more farmers in poorer part of india is leaving farming and becoming migrant laborers

depreciating rupee -- actually it helps in making indian manufactured goods more cheaper and hence more competitive in international market and also ... thr are record no of inflows from NRIs both in NRE and NRO accounts ... and these increasing inflows has actually reduced india's overall account deficit from 3.7 to 3.6 percent

Poverty Reduction --- actually India is reducing poverty faster than any other lower middle income country than in whole world ... and schemes like NREGA is heavily subsidizing food and fuel to lower income groups, NREGA will prove to be a big burden in longer term(mainly coz congress wants thr vote bank on the cost of development) but still this will make life easier for lower income group... NREGA is a 100 billion $ food and fuel aid program

here's where we differ...

i think grain yields are plateuing because of constraints on water and oil, not because of farmers leaving. China also has farmers leaving.

depreciating rupee will increase competitiveness of Indian manufactured goods on the sales end, but in increased prices for inputs at the production end and wage pressures due to lowered purchasing power for both domestic consumers and workers.

here's where we differ...

i think grain yields are plateuing because of constraints on water and oil, not because of farmers leaving. China also has farmers leaving.

depreciating rupee will increase competitiveness of Indian manufactured goods on the sales end, but in increased prices for inputs at the production end and wage pressures due to lowered purchasing power for both domestic consumers and workers.

not exactly ... actually irrigation system in last five year plan has made inroads into list developed agriculture lands in india.. even in drought prone states like Gujrat and Rajyasthan overall agriculture area has increased by many percent points ...
and yes the reason agriculture growth in india is relatively lesser around 3-4 percent is only coz of lesser worker force entering agriculture .. and you should know that india heavily subsidized this sector giving free electricity and almost free fuel to farmers ...
depreciating rupee will only hurt the imports which majority is fuel, yes it will bleed the oil companies but again on the public front it will mean more bill on govt only coz Govt will not allow more pressure and anti govt feeling in election year ... so this will affect the budget deficit... but not the Purchasing power of India overall... and depreciating rupee is already increasing our remittance and service export check this link :

Higher remittances, software services income control current account deficit - The Economic Times

Higher remittances, software services income control current account deficit

Back
Top Bottom