What's new

India get the first 3 MiG29UPG fighters

MiG corporation passed the first 3 MiG29 fighters modernised till UPG version over to India

10022011_MIG-29UPG_IAF.jpg

That's a Sukhoi Flanker, not a Mig 29

AFAIK, it's for fuel. Thus it's range is about 50% more than Mig-29M

During a dogfight or a low level flight in the range of AAA, one bullet in this and you can kiss the air craft goodbye. I, know for a fact,its for EW suite, mostly the fuel is carried internally. Having, drop tanks down below and a tank right on the top is a huge God damn risk.

During a dogfight or a low level flight in the range of AAA, one bullet in this and you can kiss the air craft goodbye. I, know for a fact,its for EW suite, mostly the fuel is carried internally. Having, drop tanks down below and a tank right on the top is a huge God damn risk.

Apparently most fighters have considerable exposure of their CFTs.

So, according to you this new EW suite is a weak point of the aircraft..

No according to him, the idea that the big hump is just a big fuel tank that can be taken on and off is incorrect.
The New Spine holds both Fuel and an EW suite.
The EW sits towards the cockpit ,..ironically below the fuel that sits on top.
The UPG upgrade is actually just an improved SMT package for India.
mig29-smt.jpg

2038328.jpg

At the Paris airshow in June 1997 MAPO-MiG revealed an extensive midlife upgrade available for aircraft of the above types. The most extensive modification is to increase internal fuel capacity by 960kg (2,116lb), or about 1,182 litres (260gal), by eliminating the auxiliary inlet system in the centroplan and adding a conformal large spine as on the 9-13...

MiG-29SMT

It's an easy modification of the airframe, the other option would be stretching the frame, like it is the case at the F18SH, Gripen NG, or the LCA MK2.

No offence they look ugly:P

They are, but as long as it fits the bill and improves the capabilities of the fighter it's worth it.

Back
Top Bottom