What's new

India developing sub-sonic 1,000-km range cruise missile 'Nirbhay': DRDO chief

Buddy, how far does it hit? How far does Tomahawk and Kh-55 hit?

Tomhawk dosent have that much speed, and more over BRAHMOS has more speed and accuracy....... And difficult to intercept, almost impossible..... And Higher range of brahmos with more speed is on its way, in development phase....

Probably a sale pitch to lure customer such as Pakistan because other than China and Pakistan, against whom India will field Brahmos? and Raytheon will sell its systems to China is not very likely an option. Anyway, it would have been more reasonable to include the name of P-800 Oniks/Yakhont from which Brahmos is derived and which is in use by Americas/allies enemies such as Iran, Vietnam and Indonesia.
Sounds so. It is plain common sense that a subsonic missile cannot intercept a super sonic missile while it is performing a manouvre. :pop:

Missile Technology Control Regime

The Bhramos was developed in these guidelines. Go through this and this will explain the range. The Nirbhay is comparable to Tomahawk in specs. Let it enter service first then we can compare it for real.

Let's not even bring the US or RF into this.

China: DH-10: 4000km, CEP 10m<
India: Nirbhay: ? ?

Going to sleep...

Last edited:
Let's not even bring the US or RF into this.

China: DH-10: 2500km, Mach 2.5+
India: Nirbhay: ? ?

Going to sleep...

What are you trying to imply here? Yeah Nirbhay is 1000 kms in range. So what? and DH 10 is 2500 kms. and supersonic. I never denied that. Its based on the KH 55. So what are u trying to convey? And till date no one has seen it.

Or i have a feeling right now that u are dragging me into a 'weewee' measuring contest?

What are you trying to imply here? Yeah Nirbhay is 1000 kms in range. So what? and DH 10 is 2500 kms. and supersonic. I never denied that. Its based on the KH 55. So what are u trying to convey? And till date no one has seen it.

Or i have a feeling right now that u are dragging me into a 'weewee' measuring contest?

Did I mention GNSS?

I dont know about Chill or anyone..just answer me my question. Thats all I need. I need to expand my knowledge on these, so kindly help me.

yes. Type 348 radar. Range: 450+ km. Resolution: 0.5 m2

Type 348 Radar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it is at least not inferior to AN/SPY-1's range, which is at least 100 nm = 190 km around. like the AN/SPY-1, it is an S band radar.

the only problem is the insane cost of the radar which runs at 12500 dollars per MMIC compared to 500 dollars for the american one.

it has absolutely no problem tracking and destroying any airborne threats.

yes. Type 348 radar. Range: 450+ km. Resolution: 0.5 m2

Type 348 Radar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it is at least not inferior to AN/SPY-1's range, which is at least 100 nm = 190 km around. like the AN/SPY-1, it is an S band radar.

the only problem is the insane cost of the radar which runs at 12500 dollars per MMIC compared to 500 dollars for the american one.

it has absolutely no problem tracking and destroying any airborne threats.

Ok so is it operational?

Ok so is it operational?

yes but due to the insanely high cost, 25x that of the american model, it has only equipped the 2 052C destroyers. this was achieved in 2004. apparently, the cost has still not gone down, which would explain why we cannot build any more 052Cs even though we desperately need them.

Due to Brahmos's supersonic speed it has to fly higher, at around 20m above the water surface. This makes it easier to detect by radar. The Nirbhay however could be wave-skimming at 5m, which is below the height of the radar. It could also maneuver more easily.

Despite Nirbhay being inferior to other similar cruise missiles it is a huge step forward for india. For india, 1000 km range is more than enough and would make the nirbhay functionally the same as any other cruise missile.

yes but due to the insanely high cost, 25x that of the american model, it has only equipped the 2 052C destroyers. this was achieved in 2004. apparently, the cost has still not gone down, which would explain why we cannot build any more 052Cs even though we desperately need them.

Due to Brahmos's supersonic speed it has to fly higher, at around 20m above the water surface. This makes it easier to detect by radar. The Nirbhay however could be wave-skimming at 5m, which is below the height of the radar. It could also maneuver more easily.

Despite Nirbhay being inferior to other similar cruise missiles it is a huge step forward for india. For india, 1000 km range is more than enough and would make the nirbhay functionally the same as any other cruise missile.

Care to explain the bold part of ur statement.....

Just coz it has lesser range 1000km compared to 2000 or so.... how is ur point valid...
Coz missile doesnt mean range only.... and in other paramteres it will be definately far better then ur Chinese equivalent one which might have more range(only higher range).....

What myth did you debunk?...everyone knows Bhramos isnt Godsent...it can be intercepted..but by a very few systems in this world which are inaccessible to our adversaries. some times even a man armed with an AA can shoot down the Bhramos. But the probablity of kill might be very low.

Several, including Brahmos is stealth and Brahmos has no IR signature. I was about to debunk the high maneuverability canard but I got tired of the name calling and insults...
http://www.defence.pk/forums/india-defence/53380-brahmos-high.html

Our major Adversaries in the region are Pakistan and China. Do they possess anything close to ESSM or the SM3? Or atleast the Barak? Nothing, zilch, nada. So in this region the Bhramos reigns supreme.

I have no idea if Pakistan or China have counter measures, I'll leave Pakistani and Chinese member to answer that question.

And if anyone thinks Bhramos, Raptor or anything cant be brought down then they are delusional.

Thank you :agree:

Last edited:
Sounds so. It is plain common sense that a subsonic missile cannot intercept a super sonic missile while it is performing a manouvre. :pop:
Ruby, Death.By.Chocolate was talking about RIM-162 ESSM which can cruise at mach4+ hence it can intercept a supersonic CM.

"Stinger is a short range air defense weapon, but the RIM-162 Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile (ESSM) is much more effective against cruise missiles and supersonic cruise missiles. The probability of an ESSM intercepting a Brahmos,sea skimming Exocet or cruise missile is much higher. I was surprised to discover the Raytheon ESSM brochure actually mentions the Brahmos by name :eek: ".

d4c-122363-2.jpg

Looks a lot like the SS-N-22 Sunburn, from what I've read the Krypton evolved into SunBurn(Moskit) and later Yakhont.

Boeing/Zvezda-Strela MA-31

.... I was surprised to discover the Raytheon ESSM brochure actually mentions the Brahmos by name :eek:

http://www.raytheon.com/capabilitie...cuments/content/rtn_rms_ps_essm_datasheet.pdf

You wouldn’t have been surprised if you had known that Brahmos was initially conceived and developed by the Soviet to counter US carriers.

Some analysis goes that this is precisely the reason that Brahmos hasn’t succeeded in opening an international market, as it has been effectively blocked by USA.

I have no idea if Pakistan or China have counter measures, I'll leave Pakistani and Chinese member to answer that question.

Thats something i would also want to know; maybe senior members such as Blain, X Man, Mean Bird or Muradk can some shed some light on this.

But from what i know is that we have radar guided Anti Air Craft Guns, SAMS located at strategic points, hundreds maybe thousands of MANPADS and obviousally our fighter aircrafts. But the reason why i am optimistic that we can intercept Brahmos is because in the next 2-3 years we will have 8 AWACS in our inventory. Our Ground Radar System is already extremely lethal thanks to the Americans and our Chinese friends. It was demonstrated Post Mumbai when Indian Jets were intercepted and locked on when they were 4km inside Pakistani Air Space.

Back
Top Bottom