What's new

India developing sub-sonic 1,000-km range cruise missile 'Nirbhay': DRDO chief

Hi All -

Can some body clear my doubt.
We are developing a subsonic cruise missile- Nirbhay, Range 1000+
We are developing a Hypersonic Brahmos
We are also developing Shaurya, which is again hypersonic and Range - 1000+Kms

As I understand Shaurya is a silo based canisterized missile, which will be primary weapon for Arihant N Sub.

Source - Shaurya surfaces as India's underwater nuclear missile - 1 -  National News ? News ? MSN India

Quote from the same source.

India's undersea deterrent had so far revolved around the K-15 ballistic missile, built with significant help from Russia. The K-15 was to equip the INS Arihant, India's lone nuclear-powered submarine, which is being constructed in Visakhapatnam. But now, after rigorous underwater testing, the Shaurya could be the mainstay of Arihant's arsenal.

Now is it a good idea to have a cruise missile as primary weapon than a BM like K-15? Are cruise missile better than ballistic?, If the answer is yes, then why most SSBNs use ballistic missile as their primary weapon?

Thanks
Dash

Hi All -

Can some body clear my doubt.
We are developing a subsonic cruise missile- Nirbhay, Range 1000+
We are developing a Hypersonic Brahmos
We are also developing Shaurya, which is again hypersonic and Range - 1000+Kms

As I understand Shaurya is a silo based canisterized missile, which will be primary weapon for Arihant N Sub.

Source - Shaurya surfaces as India's underwater nuclear missile - 1 - *National News ? News ? MSN India

Quote from the same source.

Now is it a good idea to have a cruise missile as primary weapon than a BM like K-15? Are cruise missile better than ballistic?, If the answer is yes, then why most SSBNs use ballistic missile as their primary weapon?

Thanks
Dash

Thats because they are SSBNs and not SSGNs which use cruise missiles as their primary weapons. The ballistic missiles are harder to intercept than cruise missiles when it comes to longer ranges.

If thats the case then Arihant being SSBN should use Sagarika as the primary weapon right?
Then we should call Arihant SSGN.

pure Troll.nothing else

On one hand you are saying "You have been building those system (S300 and eq) for years" how come suddenly, need arose to buy from Russia.

our last purchase was in 2004 and it was just delivered. we have not bought anything from the russians for 6 years. thanks.

Thats something i would also want to know; maybe senior members such as Blain, X Man, Mean Bird or Muradk can some shed some light on this.

But from what i know is that we have radar guided Anti Air Craft Guns, SAMS located at strategic points, hundreds maybe thousands of MANPADS and obviousally our fighter aircrafts. But the reason why i am optimistic that we can intercept Brahmos is because in the next 2-3 years we will have 8 AWACS in our inventory. Our Ground Radar System is already extremely lethal thanks to the Americans and our Chinese friends. It was demonstrated Post Mumbai when Indian Jets were intercepted and locked on when they were 4km inside Pakistani Air Space.

I'm sure Blain will know, well I think the Brahmos is a serious threat but it isn't unmanageable with the right tactics, training and counter measures the Brahmos can be defeated - the key as many have emphasized is early detection.

I'm sure Blain will know, well I think the Brahmos is a serious threat but it isn't unmanageable with the right tactics, training and counter measures the Brahmos can be defeated - the key as many have emphasized is early detection.

As mentioned earlier, Brahmos is only success story of the Indian military production. I wonder how come Brahmos is a success where as LCA, Arjun and Insas are abject failures. mmmm
In any case, I'll never talk about how Brahmos can be defeated unless I want people to jump all over me.

As mentioned earlier, Brahmos is only success story of the Indian military production. I wonder how come Brahmos is a success where as LCA, Arjun and Insas are abject failures. mmmm
In any case, I'll never talk about how Brahmos can be defeated unless I want people to jump all over me.

Agreed on INSAS but I wouldn't necessarily call LCA & Arjun failures, more of a work in progress. Although they do follow the hindu growth rate:D
IMHO DRDO suffers from three main issues, bureaucracy , lack of competition (they get lazy) and lack of funding (relative to Intl. budgets), DRDO still lags way behind when it comes to financial resources and therefore the ability to attract and retain skilled manpower.
Now given that the economy is growing and more funds would probably go their way, and as and when the defense sector opens up inviting more competition, we would certainly expect more success stories.

Last edited:

All chinese military hardware is Junk.... so all is a failure...

Compared to that Arjun is already a huge success as it is world class level...

and LCA is also going to be there in some time.... IT will be another sad day for you...

All chinese military hardware is Junk.... so all is a failure...

Compared to that Arjun is already a huge success as it is world class level...

and LCA is also going to be there in some time.... IT will be another sad day for you...

Rahul, give the chinese credit where it is due. by hook or by crook they have emerged way ahead of us in many spheres, we ought to take lessons and make ourselves better. believe in healthy competition bro, no need to belittle others, after all they worked just as hard.

The Arjun will smash some Pakistani armour in the next war and we will still have naysayers. I'm getting sick of this forum, the mods really need to regulate the quality of people who join.

maybe the indian T-72 and T-90 would be good vs. pakistani armor but NOT the arjun. i think you should try to look at its past behavior.

maybe the indian T-72 and T-90 would be good vs. pakistani armor but NOT the arjun. i think you should try to look at its past behavior.

agreed, all us do have apprehensions on arjun based on its past, however it may prove to be a grave error (especially from adversarial pov) to ignore the current and future developments.
Like I've said before, Arjun is still a work in progress and it would be good to keep an eye on its development.

Rahul, give the chinese credit where it is due. by hook or by crook they have emerged way ahead of us in many spheres, we ought to take lessons and make ourselves better. believe in healthy competition bro, no need to belittle others, after all they worked just as hard.

Right dear, thats right they have slight lead in manufacturing then us....we need to catch up in that....

but then Arjun is also better then everythng then what they have....
and also thier planes are at best 3.5 generation(by west standard) whereas LCA is going to be 4.5generation(by west standard) plane....
why dont they accept it..?? and look at the post to which i replied, how he was taking a dig at Arjun, LCA....

Arjun has performed against a world class tank in T-90 in trials and then proved its mettle....there is not a single chinese system that is able to withstand such trials....so i think the chinese should learn to be appreiative of the things where it is due, and accept what is true......
LCA also is going to be there is some time....
the chinese members here have a problem in accepting anything good for India... and every world class product india makes they start having pain....

Last edited:
Right dear, thats right they have slight lead in manufacturing then us....we need to catch up in that....

why dont they accept it..?? and look at the post to which i replied, how he was taking a dig at Arjun....

Arjun has performed against a world class tank in T-90 in trials and then proved its mettle....there is not a single chinese system that is able to withstand such trials....so i think the chinese should learn to be appreiative of the things where it is due, and accept what is true......

the chinese members here have a problem in accepting anything good for India... and every world class product india makes they start having pain....

realities and facts do not rely on their acceptance, so don't worry about what they (or for that matter anyone else) thinks about our progress. wht we do need is to focus on rectifying our current issues (we have a long list of that). Never live on past glories, focus on what remains to be achieved. :toast_sign:

and also thier planes are at best 3.5 generation(by west standard) whereas LCA is going to be 4.5generation(by west standard) plane....
why dont they accept it..?? and look at the post to which i replied, how he was taking a dig at Arjun, LCA....

LCA also is going to be there is some time....

sorry, we use a 4 generation system in china. our media reports 3rd generation in chinese which = 4th generation in west. don't believe us? see how many MiG-21s it takes to take down even a J-8.

but of course our progress is not affected in the least by whether you accept it or not.

Back
Top Bottom