What's new

India developing sub-sonic 1,000-km range cruise missile 'Nirbhay': DRDO chief

unfortunately it is india closer to the stone age. many of your farmers unlike ours do not have access to vaccination, clean water, irrigation, hybrid crop technology, fertilizer, pesticide or schooling. instead india carries out agriculture, and presumably defense research as well, much like it did 8000 years ago in the stone age. lifespans in india and infant mortalities are also close to stone age levels.
come on mate every country in this region has its own share of problems.yeah i know your farmers are billionaires,but most important thing do they have voting right's?ooh no did i say something wrong?i fully trust my government they have already started working in right direction.for your kind information our farmers
have access to the things you have listed.they also have access to lot of schemes started by state and central government's.so don't worry about us.and yeah the voting right's i am sorry for that don't take it personally.:sniper:

I disagree, many here think supersonic missiles such as the Brahmos cannot be intercepted or neutralized.

I wouldn't relegate low flying,long range, low observable sub sonic cruise missiles to less important targets. The Brahmos is perhaps more effective when employed against time sensitive target OR for the purpose of shock and awe.

Agree with you,I tend to Subsonic cruise missile like Tomahawk cruise missiles,
the shortcoming of Subsonic cruise missile is only one:the lower speed;but it can fly at the peak of wave5~10m,long range:2000km ,lower weight:1500kg,Launch platform compatibility,lower IR characteristics,lower price:1.2million$/Tomahawk,and more smart.

the advantage of supersonic missiles is only one:the higher speed,but if the radar can trace it,and the antimissile can broke it,2~3MACH is lower than the ballistic missile;and it only can fly at lowest 20m,short range 300km,bigger:3000kg,higher IR characteristics,its engine like a big moon at night,radar can see it at more than 30km away,and higher price :3.1million$/1BrahMos,and poor anti-interference ability:the high speed let it miss the target even under 0.1second interference

NIRBHAY (FEARLESS)
nirbhay.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

THE ENGINE POWERING NIRBHAY
36mtturbofan.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Under a fast-track project that forms an integral part of India’s efforts to develop a credible cruise missile defence system, the Defence Research & Development Organisation’s (DRDO) ADE and ASL laboratories are co-developing an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) called Nirbhay (fearless) that will be both air-launched and ship-launched.:cheers: Believed to have been launched in late 2005, the project calls for the UAV to be developed as both a high-speed target drone capable of simulating the flight profiles of land-attack/anti-ship cruise missiles :sniper:like China’s DH-10A and Pakistan’s Babur, as well as sea-skimming anti-ship missiles like the A/RGM-84A Harpoon and C-802A, both of which are operational with the Pakistan Navy. In addition, a ground-launched conventional takeoff and landing (CTOL) variant of the Nirbhay is also envisaged—this being a high-speed, medium-altitude vehicle equipped with a 130kg payload for standoff, theatre-level reconnaissance—in response to a specific air staff requirement of the Indian Air Force (IAF).

To be powered by a NPO Saturn-supplied 36MT turbofan rated at 400kg thrust, the Nirbhay’s target drone variant will be capable of cruising at a speed of Mach 0.92 at medium altitudes (10,000 feet) and 1,100kph at sea level, have a flight endurance of two hours, will sea-skim at 10 metres above sea level, will be able to pull up to 6.5 G, be equipped with a 130kg payload (of up to 24 different types such as towed radar/infra-red reflector/augmentation devices, EW jammers and hit-scorer avionics), and will have a digital flight management system that will enable the drone to undertake various flight manoeuvres like snaking, pop-up and a 40-degree dive. The ship-launched variant of Nirbhay will be equipped with twin solid-propellant boosters that will be ejected once the drone is airborne, while for the IAF, it will be configured for launch from an IL-76MD transport aircraft. For recovery purposes, both variants of the drone will be equipped with parachutes and inflatable air-bags. The drone will have a maximum takeoff weight of 650kg (minus the twin boosters), overall length of 5.5 metres, wingspan of 2.5 metres, and a fuselage diameter of 0.40 metres. The Nirbhay’s theatre reconnaissance CTOL-UAV variant for the IAF will be equipped with an X-band inverse synthetic aperture radar (most likely the EL/M-20600 from ELTA Systems of Israel), a wideband two-way data link, and a ring laser gyro-based inertial navigation system coupled to a GPS receiver. Maiden flight of the drone’s first prototype is scheduled for early 2009, while its CTOL-UAV variant is expected to fly later the same year. Present plans call for procuring up to 80 drones and 30 UAVs. Series production of the Nirbhay will be undertaken by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, while the 36MT turbofans will be procured off-the-shelf from NPO Saturn. In October 2006, NPO Saturn had inked a US$100 million contract with the DRDO under which the latter will deliver, starting this December, a total of 200 36MT turbofans through to 2010.

Reported... next time be careful...IT IS UTTTELRY NONSENSE POST....

Well you guys are good at reporting nonsense of others, but don;t report the nonsense of your own.

You reported the above post, but you left to report the post of your own who started the dual first.

Typical.

Agree with you,I tend to Subsonic cruise missile like Tomahawk cruise missiles,
the shortcoming of Subsonic cruise missile is only one:the lower speed;but it can fly at the peak of wave5~10m,long range:2000km ,lower weight:1500kg,Launch platform compatibility,lower IR characteristics,lower price:1.2million$/Tomahawk,and more smart.

the advantage of supersonic missiles is only one:the higher speed,but if the radar can trace it,and the antimissile can broke it,2~3MACH is lower than the ballistic missile;and it only can fly at lowest 20m,short range 300km,bigger:3000kg,higher IR characteristics,its engine like a big moon at night,radar can see it at more than 30km away,and higher price :3.1million$/1BrahMos,and poor anti-interference ability:the high speed let it miss the target even under 0.1second interference

Well you keep ur subsonic ones....:rofl: even can try to reduce speed even furthur.....have fun with ur subsonics....

While India will move on to the Hypersonic Missile.....:coffee:

u forgot to add ur stones and arrows.We would have believed that also.

unfortunately it is india closer to the stone age. many of your farmers unlike ours do not have access to vaccination, clean water, irrigation, hybrid crop technology, fertilizer, pesticide or schooling. instead india carries out agriculture, and presumably defense research as well, much like it did 8000 years ago in the stone age. lifespans in india and infant mortalities are also close to stone age levels.

Well you guys are good at reporting nonsense of others, but don;t report the nonsense of your own.

You reported the above post, but you left to report the post of your own who started the dual first.

Typical.

hey thats not fair to call all Indians as Typical...

also just look at the post of CHilli Bihari he is just making fun of Chinese SAMs, which we all do for each other weapons......

but it does not call for farmers, vaccination, mortality rate,schooling, pesticides etc....

SO that is why i reported him...

or else whenever he will say anything agaisnt brahmos or LCA or says Arjun as Arjunk , we will also start about tibet and xinxiang etc.....and copy paste and poor humar rights and chinese arrogance etc etc.....
i dont think its fair....... i think here we have the rigth to at least make fun of the weapons if we dont think they are at par with others.....

how will anyone feel if i say mig-21 of India is like Eurofighter or F-22.....thats precisely what he did as below....

Here is a list of comparable missiles to ESSM:

HQ-17 · HQ-7 (FM-80) · HQ-64 (LY-60) · HQ-6 · HQ-61 · TY-90 · DK-9 · CQW-2 · FLS-1 · FLG-1 · FLV-1 · FL-2000(V) · SG-2 ADS · LS ADS · YT ADS · FB-6A · FL-3000N · HN-5C · TD-2000 · TD-2000B

those are our short range SAMs. they'd be quite enough to intercept Brahmos.

Last edited:
http://www.raytheon.com/capabilitie...cuments/content/rtn_rms_ps_essm_datasheet.pdf

RIM-161 SM-3 (AEGIS Ballistic Missile Defense)

AN/SPY-1 Radar

Do you have anything comparable to these? Then you can talk about CM and BM defence. Right now you need to develop more than what you have to defeat the Bhramos and I dont know about the Nirbhay as it aint ready yet.

can you tell me what chill's post about sticks and stones had to do with anything?

if not then this is double standards.

can you tell me what chill's post about sticks and stones had to do with anything?

if not then this is double standards.

I dont know about Chill or anyone..just answer me my question. Thats all I need. I need to expand my knowledge on these, so kindly help me.

Guys please its a humble request PLEASE RESTRAIN FROM GOING OUT OF TOPIC WE CAN DISCUSS IT IN A MUCH BETTER WAY..ADD POINTS WE ARE HERE TO LEARN,DISCUSS AND SHARE COME BACK TO THE TOPIC

Brahmos is a joint venture and limited to 300 km range due to MTCR.
India is looking for cruise missile with over 1000 km range.

Out of range and speed one has to sacrifice one in order to keep the size and expense in control.

Nirbhay chooses to sacrifice speed in favor of range. Also this makes it a very inexpensive missile. One can buy ten Nirbhay in place of a single Brahmos.

Brahmos = Quality (High-End)
Nirbhay = Quantity (Low-End)

We can't do with a single missile. Got to have options.

Actually, conventionally-guided supersonic CMs have many weaknesses, not just warhead size. That is why the United States, Russia, France and China stopped developing them. Russia had to dump the outdated tech somewhere.

1) Supersonic missiles has to fly higher which causes them to be picked up earlier by ship radars.

2) They have 20 to 50 times larger infrared signature, which would allow IRSTs to pick them up, easily.

3) The have less time for target acquirement. When facing ECM, they don't have a second chance.

4) Supersonic costs more than subsonic

5) Non-GNSS cruise missiles have extremely low accuracy. This is evident through Brahmos' tests where Mach 2.5 is easily achieved but often fails to hit the target. In terms of cruise missiles, it's considered obsolete if its error radius is above 10m, due to the limited payload.

6) Even the Chinese were smart enough to stop developing conventionally-guided CMs in favour of GNSS. I guess India has to learn how to walk before run.

Last edited:
Actually, conventionally-guided supersonic CMs have many weaknesses, not just warhead size. That is why the United States, Russia, France and China stopped developing them. Russia had to dump the outdated tech somewhere.

1) Supersonic missiles has to fly higher which causes them to be picked up earlier by ship radars.

2) They have 20 to 50 times larger infrared signature, which would allow IRSTs to pick them up, easily.

3) The have less time for target acquirement. When facing ECM, they don't have a second chance.

4) Supersonic costs more than subsonic

5) Non-GNSS cruise missiles have extremely low accuracy. This is evident through Brahmos' tests where Mach 2.5 is easily achieved but often fails to hit the target. With the limited payload of cruise missiles, the weapon is considered obsolete if it does not have a 10m error radius.

6) Even the Chinese were smart enough to stop developing conventionally guided CMs in favour of GNSS. I guess India has to learn how to walk before run.

Out of 21 tests the Bhramos failed only once ans the CEP is less than 2 meters. If you term that as inaccuracy then I think you are delusional.

Out of 21 tests the Bhramos failed only once ans the CEP is less than 2 meters. If you term that as inaccuracy then I think you are delusional.

Buddy, how far does it hit? How far does Tomahawk and Kh-55 hit?

Back
Top Bottom