What's new

India capable of fulfilling its own defence needs: Modi

The intention is good but India have to stop talking the talk and start walking the walk. Much like India's economy in general, it will not improve unless effective reforms and structural improvements are made and this requires greater political will and competency from the Indian Government. The Indian Government seem to think improvements will happen as a natural course of events without actually doing too much. This kind of directionless thinking will only leave India stuck in the current economic and technological rut they find themselves in. The defence sector of any advanced nation is built on a solid foundation of a strong economy and a highly advanced domestic sector, both in technology and manufacturing. This will not hapen overnight and will require a lot of hard work and good leadership to bear fruit in the long-run. India can achieve it but don't expect things to happen on good intentions alone.

The intention is good but India have to stop talking the talk and start walking the walk. Much like India's economy in general, it will not improve unless effective reforms and structural improvements are made and this requires greater political will and competency from the Indian Government. The Indian Government seem to think improvements will happen as a natural course of events without actually doing too much. This kind of directionless thinking will only leave India stuck in the current economic and technological rut they find themselves in. The defence sector of any advanced nation is built on a solid foundation of a strong economy and a highly advanced domestic sector, both in technology and manufacturing. This will not hapen overnight and will require a lot of hard work and good leadership to bear fruit in the long-run. India can achieve it but don't expect things to happen on good intentions alone.

Wrt you assertions the GoI leaving the economy to do its own thing- this is BS, they are very much aware of the need to reform now and are doing so with pace.

Wrt you assertions the GoI leaving the economy to do its own thing- this is BS, they are very much aware of the need to reform now and are doing so with pace.

Being aware of problems and actually making effective reforms are two different things. Poverty alleviation and reducing the income inequality of Indian citizens should be the number one priority of the Indian Government but India still remains one of, if not the most, unequal and impoverished countries on Earth. Until India can give quality education, basic healthcare and reliable amenities to all of its citizens, then can India start to concentrate on areas such as defence indigenization. Calling out views as BS because you don't like them won't get India anywhere. All countries have problems and it's up to their Governments to sort them out and India is no different.

Being aware of problems and actually making effective reforms are two different things. Poverty alleviation and reducing the income inequality of Indian citizens should be the number one priority of the Indian Government but India still remains one of, if not the most, unequal and impoverished countries on Earth. Until India can give quality education, basic healthcare and reliable amenities to all of its citizens, then can India start to concentrate on areas such as defence indigenization. Calling out views as BS because you don't like them won't get India anywhere. All countries have problems and it's up to their Governments to sort them out and India is no different.

Yes, because the GoI is do NOTHING to address any of the issues you have highlighted. Please do some research before you dig yourself a hole like you have.

Well India is not capable of being fully self reliant in Defence tech right now....only if they had a huge industrial base like how US and the USSR had and huge amounts of money pumped into R&D without any accountability and an economy that can support it....it is close to impossible.

Yes, because the GoI is do NOTHING to address any of the issues you have highlighted. Please do some research before you dig yourself a hole like you have.

I never said they did nothing. But until the World sees the majority of Indians being lifted out of severe poverty, then you can't say that GoI's measures have been effective so far. You are being too sensitive mate. It's just my view and you can take it or leave it. I hope India does make progress economically and militarily as it would be better for a peaceful multipolar World.

I never said they did nothing. But until the World sees the majority of Indians being lifted out of severe poverty, then you can't say that GoI's measures have been effective so far. You are being too sensitive mate. It's just my view and you can take it or leave it. I hope India does make progress economically and militarily as it better for a peaceful multipolar World.
Do you think bringing poverty down to Western levels is an overnight process??!! When the British left India in '47 65-70% of Indians were living in abject poverty (poverty was relatively unheard of 200 years earlier before India was colanised btw- but that's another conversation) now it is <30%. Still appalling high yes but India is brining ~1-1.5% (10-15,000,000) of these out of poverty every year so at this rate within our lifetimes poverty in India will be eradicated almost entirely and this rate is only going to increase as India prospers and more and more is spent and allocated in this regard. Technology with India will also pave the way (see AADHAR/UDAI scheme for more info).

As it stands India and China are the only 2 nations set to meet their UN MDGs on poverty relief by 2015 so you CAN say the GoI's policies have been effective.

btw @seven7seven which part of the UK are you in? And how old are you mate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think bringing poverty down to Western levels is an overnight process??!! When the British left India in '47 65-70% of Indians were living in abject poverty (poverty was relatively unheard of 200 years earlier before India was colanised btw- but that's another conversation) now it is <30%. Still appalling high yes but India is brining ~1-1.5% (10-15,000,000) of these out of poverty every year so at this rate within our lifetimes poverty in India will be eradicated almost entirely and this rate is only going to increase as India prospers and more and more is spent and allocated in this regard. Technology with India will also pave the way (see AADHAR/UDAI scheme for more info).

As it stands India and China are the only 2 nations set to meet their UN MDGs on poverty relief by 2015 so you CAN say the GoI's policies have been effective.

btw @seven7seven which part of the UK are you in? And how old are you mate?

Nobody said it is an easy task or has a quick fix. Like I said in my first post, in this thread, these things will take time and hard work to achieve. India has made good progress and will continue to do so at her own pace. I'm not having a go at India so stop being so sensitive about me pointing out any perceived weaknesses of India. All countries, Including the UK, have testing problems in the coming years to deal with.

I live on the South Coast of England though I used to live in London. I'm in my mid-30s though I don't know why you want to know, unless it is to question my maturity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said they did nothing. But until the World sees the majority of Indians being lifted out of severe poverty, then you can't say that GoI's measures have been effective so far. You are being too sensitive mate. It's just my view and you can take it or leave it. I hope India does make progress economically and militarily as it would be better for a peaceful multipolar World.

India was the second fastest growing major economy in the world, during the last decade. And the "fastest" growing major economy's numbers are quite disputable, since they are opaque.

And we did this with great boost to social sector spending, which has lifted millions out of poverty already. 3/4th the population has a mobile phone; the country is foodgrain surplus; rural incomes are rising at a fast pace.

It is a different matter.. and will vary from person to person ..whether you believe all this happened because of government policiies ... or inspite of them.

That said, there is no let up .. that economy continues to remain the key focus, for years to come, as well.

They guy has a good business mind, however, does not have an iota knowledge about bleeding edge defense technology. He should stick to manufacturing something he can comprehend, Tata Nano.

Not at all mate, was just wondering. What attracted you to PDF? Are you of Asian descent?

I am British through and through. I did live in Hong Kong for a while when I was little because of my father's work which I guess gives me my more Chinese-centric outlook on the World. I'm generally interested in Asian affairs as I find it to be the most interesting and dynamic part of the World right now. Asia will lead the World in the coming decades so it's best to be familiar with Asian affairs :)

They guy has a good business mind, however, does not have an iota knowledge about bleeding edge defense technology. He should stick to manufacturing something he can comprehend, Tata Nano.

Please, he is a politician through and through (his degree is in Political science FFS)- he knows squat about defence or business hence these absurd statements.

Back
Top Bottom