What's new

India brides leave husbands' homes for lack of toilets

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
I am aware that trolls will get attracted here like flies to sweets but I see this as a very positive development.

Wonder how many Indians here will recall the huge campaign in the media by the Govt & NGOs of this issue alone. It has extolled brides to do this & insist on the basics. These ladies in turn will do this for their children too.Light is seen at the end or the tunnel.

Below this article of the BBC I am reproducing another where the Corporate world has stepped in too.

All in all a great begining which shall only pick up momentum. We have a problem and a solution is being found.

BBC News - India brides leave husbands' homes for lack of toilets

Six newlywed women in a village in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh have returned to their parents because their husbands' homes had no toilets.

The women, all from Khesiya village in Kushinagar district, said they would return only after their husbands had built proper toilets at home.

Nearly half of India's 1.2 billion people have no toilets at home.

Campaigners say the problem is acute in rural India and it is the women who suffer most.

One of the brides, Gudiya, told BBC Hindi that it was very troublesome to go to the fields.

"My parents have a toilet at home, but there is no toilet in my husband Ramesh Sharma's home. Going outdoors was a big hassle, so I fought with him and returned to my parents."

Neelam Sharma, Sakina, Seeta, Nazrum Nisa and Kalavati are the others who have left their marital homes for the same reason.

Ashima Parveen, who lives in Khesiya village, said all six women had wed in the past year or 18 months.

"In villages, it is not easy for a new bride to step out of her home because here people believe in the purdah [covering the face with a veil]. In this weather when it's raining and there is water logging everywhere, it gets very difficult for these women to go out to the fields."

A lack of toilets also exposes women to a risk of attack.

In his Independence Day speech last Friday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi vowed to end open defecation.

"We are in the 21st Century and yet there is still no dignity for women as they have to go out in the open to defecate and they have to wait for darkness to fall," he said.

"Can you imagine the number of problems they have to face because of this?" he asked.

Narendra Modi's ‘Swachh Bharat’ call: India Inc queues up to invest big money in building toilets - Economic Times

Narendra Modi's ‘Swachh Bharat’ call: India Inc queues up to invest big money in building toilets

NEW DELHI/MUMBAI/KOLKATA: CSR ( Corporate Social responsibility) with a Modi imprint. The prime minister's Independence Day speech exhorted India Inc to adopt the mission of providing modern sanitation facilities nationwide. Just as the I-Day weekend got over, India Inc promised to spend big money to clean up India.

TCS, Bharti, HUL, Aditya Birla Group, ITC, Adani and Dabur are among major companies that announced big CSR spends or promised to upgrade existing programmes for building sanitation facilities, especially for girl students and women in rural India. These announcements and promises look substantial. TCS, India's largest software services firm, said it will spend Rs 100 crore building sanitation facilities for girl students in 10,000 schools.

pixel.gif

Bharti promised a Rs 100-crore budget, too, but kept the focus on Ludhiana. The Punjab district of Ludhiana is the home base for Bharti's founders, the Mittals. The company has named its CSR initiative, which will be run by the Bharti Foundation, 'Satya Bharti Abhiyan'.

Gujarat-headquartered Adani Group said its already existing CSR project on sanitation in Gujarat will be extended to states where the group is present — Maharashtra, Punjab, Rajasthan and Himachal Pradesh. It also said Adani Foundation will look at new states for this CSR project.

The Aditya Birla Group's CSR arm — Aditya Birla Centre — plans to build 10,000 facilities this year, the centre's head Rajashree Birla said. States in focus are MP, UP, Odisha, Tamil Nadu and Gujarat.

FMCG major HUL plans to construct 24,000 facilities by 2015, the company said. This is a branded CSR activity — the initiative is being powered by the Domex Toilet Academy launched nine months ago; Domex is HUL's toilet cleaner brand.

ITC also plans to build 10,000 facilities, hoping to hit this target by next year. It is strengthening its current CSR activity in this area, ITC said, adding 800-plus facilities for low-income households had been built in the last financial year in areas adjoining ITC factories in several states.

Dabur's CSR arm Subdesh, the company said, already has rural sanitation as one of its priorities. The focus will be stronger. Fifty facilities in five villages have been made the first target. Dabur said its goal is to build 80-100 facilities a year.

India's record in providing proper sanitation is abysmal. According to census data, almost 70%-plus rural households lack any facility. Even in India's cities, one out of five households does not have in-house sanitation facility.

Narendra Modi, as the Gujarat chief minister, had launched Nirmal Gujarat, a sanitation provision campaign that had received good response from the state's companies. The PM's stress on clean public spaces is well known. His 'toilets before temples' remark as chief minister had made headlines and his speeches frequently make equate prosperity and progress with clean public spaces.

Modi himself talking about cleanliness and sanitation will put the focus of the entire nation on this.

It will yield results in a few years.

Tap water to very household and toilets in every house hold will not only boost education, but will increase life expectancy and boost the economy.

Sad that we took 68 years after independence to realize this.

LOL. Exactly.

Its classic BBC British propaganda about Indian toilets, poverty etc.

I wonder if the word "caste" was used in the article. Din't bother reading it. :P
Propaganda, eh!! Similar reports were published in local newspapers too. What are they? Traitors, Mr.Hazarnaamdhari? :cheesy:

Tap water to very household and toilets in every house hold will not only boost education, but will increase life expectancy and boost the economy.

Indeed. Its a failure of our institutions.
What is sad is that despite cries that our cities are not planned - any further expansion of cities is still not planned. Consequently they still and will not have the water and sewer connections.

Its all related. The flaws i believe are mainly related to local levels - of city administration.

That is one way of looking at it.... the other way can be, Good that we have woken up now and taken this as a serious issue...

What is sad is that despite cries that our cities are not planned - any further expansion of cities is still not planned. Consequently they still and will not have the water and sewer connections.

Its all related. The flaws i believe are mainly related to local levels - of city administration.

Well the highest corruption happens in lowest level of democracy...... Which is panchayat, municipality and corporation..... It is the responsibility of these branches to improve such basic requirement of society.

Actually its not really a failure but a result of rapid growth of population coupled with large scale migration of people from the villages to the cities in search of work. Governments don't have unlimited resources at their disposal, and no government can really cope up with the speed with which make-shift settlements grow. Even with the rapidly growing economy, and with the proposed plans in hand, it will be an arduous task to provide every settlements with adequate fresh water and sewage facilities. One possible solution would be to stop the large cities from further growth, and establish smaller towns/cities so that the management of utilities could be streamlined.

Actually its not really a failure but a result of rapid growth of population coupled with large scale migration of people from the villages to the cities in search of work. Governments don't have unlimited resources at their disposal, and no government can really cope up with the speed with which make-shift settlements grow. Even with the rapidly growing economy, and with the proposed plans in hand, it will be an arduous task to provide every settlements with adequate fresh water and sewage facilities. One possible solution would be to stop the large cities from further growth, and establish smaller towns/cities so that the management of utilities could be streamlined.

Yes, even in China the rural people migrate to the cities at a rate of over 10 million EVERY year.

People ask us why we are conducting the fastest infrastructure expansion in history. When they see the numbers of people we have to support, they will understand.

This is a pace of urbanization never before seen in world history, so of course our infrastructure building must be record breaking as well, just to sustain it.

That's simply a fact of life when you are a developing country with an enormous population.

I see another big success similar to Polio Program.
I think govt and agencies have now learned how to fight social limitations and improve living and health standards.
And with Modi bringing in Corporate resources and media personalities to tackle the issue related to sanitation and cleanliness.
I am sure we will fight out this evil and will have much better living facilities as we grow in coming future.

Its people dear ....their attitude towards life dictates everything surrounding them ..you cant solve problems for thousands years if you fail find exact fault in system

Back
Top Bottom