What's new

India and UNSC permanent seat

The USA and Russia have used their vetoes hundreds of times, and they have never been punished for it.

In this hypothetical example, we will only need to use it once.

But chinese govt hasn't promised to use it against us! :lol:

But chinese govt hasn't promised to use it against us! :lol:

There is no need yet, since not a single member of the P5 has promised you veto power.

The Chinese government will continue stalling it, like the recent announcement where they opposed India's motion for quick reform. It can be stalled forever.

And I seriously doubt your hypothetical scenario, in which the P5 members start promising to give away veto power. :D

Come back when you have even one promise of veto power. China+Pakistan will be waiting to sink your resolution.

There is no need yet, since not a single member of the P5 has promised you veto power.

The Chinese government will continue stalling it, like the recent announcement where they opposed India's motion for quick reform. It can be stalled forever.

And I seriously doubt your hypothetical scenario, in which the P5 members start promising to give away veto power. :D

I also seriously doubt it will happen in near future, like I said in some other thread, it will happen when it becomes insignificant to India.

If India yields power and money, rest of the world will have to engage India more else UNSC wont have much credibility, not that it has now.

Actually, the UNSC is a complete anachronism, a throwback to colonial times; when some people thought that the sun shone out of somebody's fundamental orifice. Who needs a an elite club? The first UN reform required is to consign the UNSC in to the garbage-bin of history.
Or at the very least discard the veto.
All that happens is that somebody vetoes somebody else; till ......... somebody vetoes somebody else!
What on earth is the General Assembly for; if 5 guys in the UNSC can veto 192 members of the General assembly?

this whole UNSC P5 thing is flawed. I say all non permanent members should get together & kick this bullying club called P5 out of office. c'mon.. in this day & age you have 5 countries deciding the fate of rest of the world?? what planet are we living in?? i know it sounds like wet dream. then again.. majority openion should count in deciding anyone's fate!! you can't have one member ruining it for everyone else!!

Actually, the UNSC is a complete anachronism, a throwback to colonial times; when some people thought that the sun shone out of somebody's fundamental orifice. Who needs a an elite club? The first UN reform required is to consign the UNSC in to the garbage-bin of history.
All that happens is that somebody vetoes somebody else; till ......... somebody vetoes somebody else!
What on earth is the General Assembly for; if 5 guys in the UNSC can veto 192 members of the General assembly?

Will never happen. Even one single veto, can sink that entire resolution at any time.

The only solution is to form another organization.

However, the P5 represents the so called "great powers" of the world, and without them, any global organization will be worthless.

[b]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_power[/b]

The P5 and their combined allies... together account for almost all the economic/diplomatic power in the world.

Come back when you have even one promise of veto power. China+Pakistan will be waiting to sink your resolution.

kep ur personal hate aside :azn:

btw it is not more than this

crystal_ball.jpg

Agree... go for an absolute majority... Isn't that what all democracies are based on? UN reforms first before any change in the UNSC. Time for a change if they want the UN to be effective in the future. The purpose of the UN is now getting diluted.

I agree. Look at what elitism or "too big to fail" institutions has brought us. P5 MUST be abolished and replaced with UNGA or the larger rotation based UNSC. The charter also has to be changed to fight dictators and tyrants that arbitrarily suppress people and promote cross border terrorism/border wars and maintain governments against the will of their people. We will see the peoples of the world rise against their dictators more and more as technology helps information spread more and more. We need a World Body that safeguards this process. P5 is a useless bureaucratic club that must have been disbanded yesterday.

Will never happen. Even one single veto, can sink that entire resolution at any time.

The only solution is to form another organization.

However, the P5 represents the so called "great powers" of the world, and without them, any global organization will be worthless.

Great power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The P5 and their combined allies account for almost all the economic/diplomatic power in the world.

Do you remember what happened to the League of Nations?

BS. Egypt happened and if people want anything can happen. What arrogance to even talk about things like "great powers". Get out of your arrogance and fight for equal rights for all people. And, we'll welcome you to the 21st century. Peace, y'all.

I think it is hilarious how India and Indians have a problem with the UNSC etc...

But at the same time, they are also desperately trying to get a UNSC seat with veto.

How does that work? :D

I think it is hilarious how India and Indians have a problem with the UNSC etc...

But at the same time, they are also desperately trying to get a UNSC seat with veto.

If India does not get VETO as a new entrants - others wont either...and Japan-Germany included.....India would be all right that way anyway..

I think the Indian government is wrong in trying to get into this elite club. It should work with other nations to disband this entire concept of P5. You'll face opposition from my country's power corridors. But, India should help usher the world into the future rather than try and become an edifice of the past. Indians should lobby their government to support disbanding the P5 and work toward establishing a World Body that truly promotes Human Rights and quickly gets rid of oppressive dictators and government. NY's mayor Bloomberg has already said that the UN is a terrible waste of time and the US should limit its financial contributions. There are several personalities within the US that want this UNSC P5 gone as well.

that's an absurd statement to make. everyone has the right to have their own openion. state of india & majority of indian's may be desperately trying for UNSC seat. does that mean someone in minority like me can't have an openion against it? dig out my posts from the past UNSC threads & you will find my views, which are pretty much consistant. i do find this whole UNSC thing flawed. Even if india gets the same, it will still not change the fact that in this day & age you can't have handful of countries making decision for rest of the world. just my openion, for which i'm entitled to!!

Back
Top Bottom