What's new

India and her Muslims

Somewhere down the line harmony between the Indian muslims and hindus is very much against the concept of Pakistan. People of Pakistan continuosly need to feed their people with the fodder of evil condition of muslims in India in order to keep the the 2 nation theory going though the condition of muslims might be much worse in Pakistan. the day people realized that indian muslims and hindus are well off it will automatically debunk the creation of pakistan. So in order to justify the existence of pakistan there is need to portray every incident with the religious angle.

Muslim in India

6f29d68aa7586c79f7541b07dfa64f49.jpg

AHMEDABAD INDIA: An Indian Muslim stranded on the first floor of his house and surrounded by Hindu extremists, begs them not to burn his family and house on March 01, 2002. The police was standing by, watching the tragedy unfold without lifting a finger to help this man. Moments after this picture was taken, the man, along with his entire family was burnt to death by the Hindu mob, and his house looted.

LIE !

This is what happens when you rely on dubious sites to source your story from. I remember this personally because this photo caused a lump in my throat when i first saw it all those years ago. The gentleman in the picture is Qutu-buddin Ansari and he was rescued by the army. He moved out of Gujarat for some time before eventually returning back.

See story below and check the links for verification:

If Best Bakery is now the metaphor for justice in Gujarat, Qutu-buddin Ansari was the face of the riots. When a mob attacked the chawls at Rehmatnagar, Gomptipur, on March 1, 2002, a camera had caught Ansari. But fame soon became a burden. It became difficult for Ansari to walk the streets without avoiding the media, NGOs, or the common man. The uninvited recognition cost this 32-yr-old tailor his job. With his wife and two children, Ansari moved to Mumbai and then to Malegaon. It did not help. In August 2003, he shifted again—this time to Calcutta. But the next year, his mother’s illness brought him back to Gujarat. And this time, he resolved to face his demons. It meant giving up the relative comforts of Calcutta, but he said: ‘‘This is what I want. I had never aimed at getting any of that.’’ Today, with his brothers, Ansari is busy mending the ruptures in professional life. They have acquired four sewing machines and Ansari is pleased that the unwanted attention is slowly fading away.

The two faces of Gujarat riots
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3133605.stm

All that such falsehoods do is to allow Hindu fanatics to rubbish and distort the truth of what happened. You are actually doing their work for them. The truth is horific enough without you having to embellish it.

i'm sure a lot of people here have parents or have themselves attended Christian missionary schools -- as they provided best education and were considered most refined, not long after partition

one of my best friends is a Christian....

the worst enemy to Pakistan nationhood are the sectarian groups; i'm sure those in india who have been targetted and villified by Bal Thackeray would know what I am talking about.

Those Pakistanis that didn't realize this before, are doing so now. Slowly slowly.

p.s. I know this is WAY WAY WAY off topic; kind of silly to bring up.

but who was it that was supporting Hafiz Saeed and JuD when UN was planning to censure them?

it was the Christians and Hindus in Pakistan

i agree with most of this post

Muslim MPs call for quota within quota for women

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

New Delhi: The resentment among Muslim MPs over the women’s reservation bill continues to bubble over with several of them either calling for the proposed law to be abandoned or amended to ensure a quota within quota. The strong opposition could have a bearing on the Congress leadership though there is an opinion that Muslim support to the party may not be unduly affected by the women’s quota as the community would be largely guided by the choices it has.

Though it remains the party of choice for most Muslims at the national level, Congress would not want to take talk in Parliament of “Mulayam Singh being revived” lightly as it sees a return to power in UP as critical to its effort to consolidate its pre-eminence at the Centre.

Though its own MPs are being careful, Kishangarh MP Mohammed Asrarul Haque and Ismail Hussain from Barpeta in Assam have said that they would want a sub-quota for Muslim women. “I think the bill is overdue, but some attention has to be paid to Muslim women,” said Haque.

Other Muslim MPs in Parliament like Badruddin Ajmal, AUDF MP from Assam, are opposed to the bill in its entirety. Muslim opinion is fairly sullen to the developments and Trinamool leader Mamata Banerjee has been quick to distance herself from the bill on this account.

Friday, 12 March 2010
Juma'ah, Rabi-ul-Awwal 26 1431

Gujarat Leader Modi to be Questioned Over Deadly Riots​

5637f68c9599c29e6542b3273aa9b419.jpg

BBC News - Gujarat leader Modi to be questioned over deadly riots

Gulbarg trial: Prosecutor quits, blames judge & SIT

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Ahmedabad: The special public prosecutor (SPP) and his assistant in the Gulbarg massacre trial quit due to an alleged lack of support from the Special Investigation Team (SIT), which they represented, and a ‘biased’ trial judge.

R K Shah, who was appointed SPP for the Gulbarg trial on a Supreme Court order, along with assistant P P Nayana Bhatt resigned last month after reportedly running into a wall as far as the trial was concerned. Shah has hinted at how SIT members tried to protect police officers facing allegations by giving the prosecution very little scope to cross-examine them.

In a letter to SIT chief R K Raghavan, a copy of which is with TOI, Shah wrote about judge B U Joshi, ‘‘The attitude of the learned judge towards the witnesses, particularly victim eyewitnesses, has by and large remained hostile and unsympathetic. He browbeats them, or threatens them, or taunts them. He does not allow witnesses to go to the dock for the purpose of identification and insists on identification from witness box as if he is holding test identification parade and the most material evidence regarding identification of the accused gets affected.’’

Shah said that the judge not only humiliated him but also allowed statements recorded before police officers as evidence, thus breaching Section 162 of CrPC. ‘‘He does not read out the evidence to the witnesses as provided in Section 278 of CrPC which was the witnesses’ right,’’ wrote Shah.

Most importantly, he writes that the SIT provided statements by witnesses who were to be cross-examined when the witness was already in the box. ‘‘When I was examining an important witness like M K Tandon, the then joint police commissioner, his further statement before police and a copy of his affidavit before Nanavati Commission were put in my hand. When P B Gondia, the then DCP Zone 4, was in the witness box, his two previous statements before police and a copy of his affidavit before Nanavati Commission were given to me,’’ Shah wrote in the letter.

He also mentioned how on February 17, in the middle of his cross-examination, SIT gave him statements of witnesses recorded in April last year. Shah recounts the manner in which SIT member Ashish Bhatia ‘‘insisted that the victim eyewitnesses should depose according to their statement before SIT’’. He added that most witnesses stood by their first statements before SIT but disowned their further statements. Shah also stated how the CDs of phone call details given by IPS officer Rahul Sharma were not yet produced in the court.

Sixty-nine persons, including former Congress MP Ahsan Jafri, were killed in Gulbarg Society on February 28, 2002 and around 290 witnesses have been examined so far. Sixty-four accused are facing trial in this case in specially appointed courts.

BLAME GAME

The attitude of the judge towards witnesses, particularly victim eyewitnesses, has by and large remained hostile and unsympathetic
The judge allowed statements recorded before cops as evidence, thus breaching Section 162 of CrPC
SIT provided statements by witnesses who were to be cross-examined when the witness was already in the box

I just hope that you understand that India as much safe and home like your own town for muslims. It is 05:13 am here and I can listen to a prayer call from a nearby mosque. Can't understand what it means, must be for the first prayer of the day.

Yes its there all over the country, no problem. Though I really respectfully wish that the first one of the day is either delayed by a couple of hours or done more discreetly via mobile phones or dish TV or internet or something. :smitten:

Somewhere down the line harmony between the Indian muslims and hindus is very much against the concept of Pakistan. People of Pakistan continuosly need to feed their people with the fodder of evil condition of muslims in India in order to keep the the 2 nation theory going though the condition of muslims might be much worse in Pakistan. the day people realized that indian muslims and hindus are well off it will automatically debunk the creation of pakistan. So in order to justify the existence of pakistan there is need to portray every incident with the religious angle.

I think you are quite confused about certain things.

Maybe you should read more on the subject. Learn about Jinnah's objectives once Pakistan became reality.

incidentally, Deobandis/JUI-Hind were against partition. A lot of those elements stayed behind. And that is perfectly fine by us as it was their own prerogative.

I think you are quite confused about certain things.

Maybe you should read more on the subject. Learn about Jinnah's objectives once Pakistan became reality.

incidentally, Deobandis/JUI-Hind were against partition. A lot of those elements stayed behind. And that is perfectly fine by us as it was their own prerogative.
Sir
Jinnah's Pakistan was a beautiful entity and was perfectly in shape and what we have today is not what he would have imagined or wanted. I am talking about present day Pakistan.

Today the politicians of pakistan justify its existance on the basis as if they are saying "See we got separated thats why we are saved else we would have been in the same state" quoting some of the misfortunate incidents. Even if you go by numbers people getting killed in pakistan are more than what muslims are being killed in India.. And this has just become the only force to unify the country as otherwise the whole country seems divided in ethinic groups. there is only one I word which unites pakistan.

At any point of time if you keep aside the lenses of being a Pakistani then you can very well realize that the muslims in India are not in the bad condition as people suppose to be.

it's a minority of people who make the image bad for everyone. The social problems exist, we are a developing country.

But we have come a long way. It's only in the past 2-3 years that things really went downhill; but we believe that with the right leadership we will bounce right back up again.

but all this silly talk about indian Muslims vs. Pakistan Muslims; and you seem to suggest that we enjoy seeing communal tensions in india.

Our heart bled for the victims of Gujrat massacre, when a mob of hindu extremists killed over thousand indian Muslims.

You think we enjoyed such things? Sick!

it's a minority of people who make the image bad for everyone. The social problems exist, we are a developing country.

But we have come a long way. It's only in the past 2-3 years that things really went downhill; but we believe that with the right leadership we will bounce right back up again.

but all this silly talk about indian Muslims vs. Pakistan Muslims; and you seem to suggest that we enjoy seeing communal tensions in india.

Our heart bled for the victims of Gujrat massacre, when a mob of hindu extremists killed over thousand indian Muslims.

You think we enjoyed such things? Sick!

No not at all i never said you enjoyed it but what i mean that has become a point for political mileage within pakistan and a fodder for the general public to justify the partition. Its like giving answer to the aam public before they can question....... spew hatred among people for the hindus........ i dont think no one cares that even hindus were killed though smaller in number.

Ask a mother sir whose son is lost whether she is a hindu or a muslim the pain is always same.

BBC News - Indian school(madrassa) helping the brightest Muslims
By Sanjoy Majumder
BBC News, Patna

In a congested part of Patna, capital of India's Bihar state, stands a striking yellow building - a 100-year-old mansion that has clearly seen better days.

Inside it, in a small dark room, a young bearded cleric is reading out sermons from the Muslim holy scriptures to a group of boys seated cross-legged on the floor.

They are in their late teens, some are wearing skull caps and they all listen to him with rapt attention.

At first glance, this could be any of the region's hundreds of Islamic seminaries or madrassas, where young Muslims receive religious instruction.

But this is no ordinary seminary.

After prayers, the boys head out to a classroom, pen and notebook in hand, where they listen with equal attention to a lecture on advanced mathematics.

This is the unusual setting for Rahmani 30 - a training institute which prepares talented but underprivileged young Muslims for entry into India's best engineering colleges - the Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT).

Only the top 2% make it through the stiff entrance exam.

Getting ahead

India's large Muslim minority is consistently placed at the bottom of social and economic rankings.

Part of this has to do with education - most Muslims end up studying in madrassas, which means they have little chance of being employed in the private sector or government.

So the significance of Rahmani's initiative is not lost on anyone.

It is the brainchild of a senior Bihar police officer, Abhyanand, who takes time off from his day job to teach the boys physics.

Rahmani was inspired by a similar school - the Super 30, where Abhyanand used to work and which is also aimed at poor children but not Muslims exclusively.

"In our country, any difficult examination is very fearful because a huge number of students take part but only a few get in," Abhyanand says.

The advantage at Rahmani, he says, is the kind of students they get - mostly from poor backgrounds and determined to get ahead in life.

"They come from a rural background and that is their strength. They become competitive because, for them, it is a win or lose situation.

"If they don't make it they don't stand anywhere [socially and economically]."

Great chance

Irfan Alam, 15, the son of a barber who is preparing for the IIT exam due to be held in 2011, says it is a great opportunity.

"I wanted to make something of my life, become someone," he says smiling shyly.

The school's philosophy is inspired by the ideas of a madrassa

"It's the perfect platform. The teachers are amazing and the best part is that it's completely free."

It is a chance that few others where Irfan comes from will ever get.

His village is a good four hours drive north of Patna, with lush green wheat-fields, narrow dirt tracks and few proper buildings.

Most people here work as farm labour and a large number of the men are barbers by trade.

I meet Irfan's father, Mohammad Shafiq, outside his modest, two-room hut made of mud and straw.

Now recuperating after an eye operation, he tells me how his son displayed flashes of brilliance as a child and soon outgrew his village school.

So he decided to send him away.

"Nobody studies here. Most of the teenagers waste their time or start drinking heavily.

"I can't read and write myself and it was always my dream that my son should be educated and not become a barber like his father and grandfather."

Back at Rahmani the classes are done but the studying continues late into the night.

Irfan sits with three of his friends inside his little dorm room, pouring over textbooks and brainstorming.

In another room, one of the teachers uses a webcam to conduct a tutorial with students in another part of Bihar.

Cultural debate

It's a fascinating mix of the traditional and the modern.

"The basic philosophy of a madrassa is that the boys live, eat and study together. There is no distinction between rich and poor - everybody is equal," says Maulana Wali Rahmani, an influential cleric who heads this institute.

"There's also a culture of open debate. It's something I experienced myself while growing up in a madrassa. So we thought, why not channel these strengths in a whole new direction and see what we can achieve."

To find out how spectacularly they have succeeded, you need to travel 1,000km (625 miles), to the national capital, Delhi.

It is a completely different world in the tree-lined, sprawling IIT campus.

Young men and women stroll into their classrooms, dressed in jeans and T-shirts, back-packs slung over their shoulders.

These are India's brightest brains, many of whom will go on to work in the country's top software companies or head to Silicon Valley.

Among them is a shy, earnest young man - Shadman Anwar, part of Rahmani's inaugural batch of students last year, all 10 of whom made it through to the IITs.

"It's been a dream come true, being here with all the other students. And I don't feel as if I'm any different," he says.

His is the kind of confidence that has helped raise expectations at Rahmani, whose administrators now want to establish 10 similar schools over the next couple of years.

India's Muslim community is often said to have under-achieved, plagued by poverty, low education standards and a conservative outlook.

Now in one of India's poorest states, a small initiative is trying to break the mould.

Last edited:
Here is another story of a modern education in Madrassas in Jammu and Kashmir

Madrasah movement in Bhalessa hamlet

By Sadaket A Malik

There is an unprecedented growth in the Madarasahs owing to which the students are graduated at the pattern of Dar ul Uloom Deoband of Utter Pradesh. The unique feature of these Madarasahs is that they focus on Inter community relations. What is interesting is that donations and frequent visits by local Hindu’s to these Madarasahs.

There is an unprecedented growth of Maddersahs in a hilly hamlet Bhalessa (Doda). There is rising tide in madrasah education, as is being witnessed today. The Madersahs increased in number.

Interestingly, the number rose to 12 in an inaccessible area of Bhalessa including Thathri. Besides nurturing the Islamic clerics from these Madarasahs including Hafiz and Ulema, these institutions seemed increasingly imparting modern education also at the pattern of other government schools under the ambit of the state government.

Innovative Madrasah’s like the Jamia Gunyat ul Uloom are increasingly visible today, Jamia Gunyat ul Uloom Bhatyas established in the year 1983 and was named after Hazrat Abdul Gani Sadiqui. The madrasah is managed by Gunyat Ul Uloom Trust Bhalessa is the largest Institution imparting Madrasah and academic education to the students of hilly terrain of Bhalessa.

It currently has more than a thousand students on its rolls. Patterned on the Dar ul Uloom Deoband model, it is one of the few Madarasahs in the state of Jammu and Kashmir that provide Islamic education till the Alim Fazil or specialization level.

Besides Jamia, there are several other maddersa’s like Madrasah Asrar Ul Uloom at Neeli Bhalessa named after Shah Asrar ud Din Bagdadi (RA). Other Madrasa’s are:- Madrasah Anwar-e-Madina Gandoh, Madrasah Aweesya Ameenya Dhraveri, Gulshan-e-Madina at Dhadkai hamlet, Akhyar ul Uloom at Kahara, Gayas Ul Uloom at Gingota hamlet, Inam ul Uloom at Donadi, Ume-Sadiqa at Kilhotran, Madrasa Taleem ul Quran Bharti and Zia-ul Uloom at Thathri.

Madrasah Um–e-Sadiqa very recently founded by the Fredya Welfare Society Bhalessa headed by Alhaj Shoket Ali Batt. The madrasah is unique in the sense that it is meant for Girls only. There are as many as 80 girl students getting Islamic education. The madrasah is named after Hazrat Aishya Sidiqa (RA). The Madrasah focuses on the life and teachings of Hazrat Aishya Sadiqa (RA)

There is an unprecedented growth in the Madarasahs owing to which the students are graduated at the pattern of Dar ul Uloom Deoband of Utter Pradesh. The unique feature of these Madarasahs is that they focus on Inter community relations.

All these institutions follow the curriculum prescribed by the Jammu and Kashmir State Board for Education

These maddersa’s are either affiliated to the state education department or are the sister concerns of the Jamia Gunyat Ul Uloom Bhatyas. In Jamia there are as many as 250 students memorizing Quran popularly called Hifz.

They stay for a night in the hostels managed from the donated money by the management of the institute.

The students, neatly dressed in spotless kurta-pajamas and topis, sit in a circle on a large quilt accompanied by a qualified Hafiz or a Maulana- The teacher who teaches the students in madrasah. The Maulana translate verses of Quran or teaches as to how to pronounce the verses in a particular language. Jamia is situated in a mountainous slope where Haji Sahib’s residence is located. Haji sahib who is also regarded as a Mohatmim of Jamia.

There is a frequent visit by one and all even by the local state politicians like Union Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad to express their sympathy to Madersah on an occasions like of annual celebrations or a meeting with revered Sufi Haji Sahib.

On being prompted by management committee, the Madersah organize an annual day celebrations with the initiative of the local masses and students of nearly maddersa’s. The students stand up and deliver an impassioned speech in Arabic and recite Naat Khuwani in Urdu.

I had a frequent visit to this Institution especially in connection with the Annual day celebrations. On that very day I sit among the students to listen the details of the programme presented by the students on that day. The management focused on the importance of academic education and on how Islam positively encourages it.

Apart from Islamic education in the institution, the academic education is an indispensable part of the Jamia curriculum; The Jamia is till 10th grade and is affiliated to J&K State Board of School Education. The result is also very excellent as the institute gets 10-12 distinctions every year in the matriculation examination controlled by J&K Board of school education in this improvised area of Bhalessa.

The welcome addresses over on the annual day of Madrasah, I sit with the students and discuss their studies. One of them wants to know how to secure admission in the English department of the University of Jammu. Another wants to know how he can I prepare for Kashmir Administrative services exam after completing my graduation in Islamic studies or Arabic. A third asks me, in impeccable English, 'Why are Muslims, especially the ulema of Deoband, thought of as terrorists by many, while they had actually played a leading role in India's anti-colonial struggle?'

The students and their teachers insist that the Deobandi elders are not against modern education as is commonly imagined. Mufti Ishrat Mattu who was graduated from Jamia argues with me, 'Islam says that all beneficial knowledge can be acquired and so our ulema have never opposed what is good in the modern educational system. What they were opposed to, however, was Western culture. We can and, indeed, should acquire knowledge of all the beneficial modern disciplines, provided this is done according to our culture and that it helps us become better Muslims.

Maulana Shoket Ali QasmiPresident of Madersah Asrar Uloom Neeli Bhalessa tells me about the 60 such students. Who are enrolled in the hifz course in Asrar ul uloom to memorize the Quran.

However, Asrar Ul Uloom was sat up in 1980, It has 210 other students enrolled for academic courses upto 8th class and is recognized by the state government. The Maderasah is functioning on public donation as is clear from the very recent block constructed from the public donated money.

In contrast to most other institutions that specialize in hifz, the students here must also study English, Urdu, Mathematics and Science.

Maulana Shoket Ali Qasmi< also refers to his plans to arrange for his students to simultaneously enroll for the tenth grade examinations, so that after they finish their course they can join various different departments in regular colleges and universities. 'Our ulema must keep themselves abreast of modern knowledge and contemporary developments', he stresses. 'That is essential for them to provide proper leadership to the community'.

I ask the Mufti Abid Hussain who joined after, about the Kashmir dispute, but he brushes aside my question politely. 'We have nothing to do with politics', he says. He stresses, however, that allegations about Madarasahs in Jammu and Kashmir being allegedly involved in promoting 'terrorism' are false. 'We are completely transparent, an open book, and have nothing to hide. Mufti added that anyone can come and visit us and sit in our classrooms', he replies. 'Not a single madrasah in Jammu and Kashmir has been identified by intelligence sources as engaged in that sort of activity'. He added further that the vision of Madersah is different from the Politics of land. He explained me a curriculum of Asrar ul uloom. He added that in Madersah we offer to the aspirants the teachings like, Nazra Quran, Tajweed e Farsi, Ilm-e-Nahw, Sarf- e- tafseer, Hadees-e-Mantiq, Falsafa-e-Bayan, balagat and fiqah.

He told me as we sit in a circle on a tiny play ground at Madersah flanked by other Mufti&#8217;s. They stressed me in response to my question regarding the Hindu -Muslim relation in this hamlet. They stressed, &#8220;We talk about inter-community relations&#8221;.

Moreover, he adds, 'we must learn about each other's religions and sentiments not to condemn and denounce others, but to understand them'.

Lastly, the call (Azaan) for the Friday prayer comes floating in. As we get up to offer the prayer in nearby Jamia Masjid at Changa, the Maulana hands me a bunch of booklets that the Madrasa has published, including Taaruf of Maderasa.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom