What's new

In Islamabad: “You can’t eat here because you are Pakistani”

Even I was pi$sed off reading the blog. But the owner justified himself well in the Der Spiegel translation. There are enough people who will charge the owner of conspiring to deIslamize Pakistan and 'spoil' young Pakistanis.

Main problem is that Mullah brigade is responsible for it, their religion always remains in danger. But - Yes, what they have written is offensive & insulting, instead they should clearly write non-Halal food on their sign board & menus and any Pakistani who still want to go there should be allowed.

Main problem is that Mullah brigade is responsible for it, their religion always remains in danger. But - Yes, what they have written is offensive & insulting, instead they should clearly write non-Halal food on their sign board & menus and any Pakistani who still want to go there should be allowed.
Of course their current policy has to change.
But I thought selling alcohol to Muslims in Pakistan is against the law. Which means the burden of scrutiny is on the seller. Otherwise the law would be something like 'muslims should not drink alcohol'. So the seller probably has no option but to exclude some people by law. May be it won't happen in Islamabad, but the guy has legitimate fears. I guess the parallel here is to check people based on their passport just like id is checked for age before selling alcohol.

discrimination on basis of attributes, not nationality. this is illegal.

There's an old joke:

Q: How do you keep Jews out of a country club?
A: Admit one.

As long as the "elites" of Pakistan can get in, they will make sure the riffraff stays away.

I ask again.
What happens if they specifically point out that they serve non halal food in their restaurant.
What happens next time there is a youm-e-ishq-e-rasul or protest against US or x/y/z. The locals would find it a convenient place to vent terming it un-islamic.

I think the main issue for the entrepreneur would be safety of his investment. Its not as if he is making more money by stopping Pakistanis. He would be making lesser money than if locals also frequented his place.

Firstly, you need to understand how these mullah-inspired torchings work. Half the time, they are a cover for business vendettas. When they are not business related, the mullahs have an implicit go-ahead from their powerful sponsors.

This restaurant caters to the very elite in Pakistan: foreign diplomats and top-tier Pakistanis. All these people are about as connected as you can get. If there is any harm to their loved ones, the mullah knows he will have the actual army at his doorstep.

Secondly, as I mentioned, exclusive restaurants have been serving alcohol for decades and they haven't burned down. The only thing that gets burned down is the cheap shack serving poorer Pakistanis.

Finally, if safety was really the critical factor, a foreigners-only establishment is also a magnet. It's like putting up a sign saying, "maximize your kaffir-to-Muslim kill ratio".

To work in a french restaurant — Islamabad

28 Aug 2013
Date Posted
Ad details
  • In this ad: I am offering a job
  • Company Name: Restaurant LA MAISON
  • Position Type: Full-time
  • Salary Range: Rs 15,000 Monthly
  • Type: Bartender
Need 1 bartender, 1 waiter , 1 helper in the kitchen and 1 sweeper.

Integrity and honesty is a must.

The customers will be only foreigners so English is required.

Please send a CV with attached picture.And we will contact you for am interview.

To work in a french restaurant - Islamabad - Restaurant Jobs - Food Service Jobs - bartender job

This piece must be phony. If you try to find "La Maison" in Islamabad, Pakistan in any of the online restaurant guides, e.g. Trip Advisor, it's not to be found.

Last edited:
Are you sure it's not a misunderstanding? Because restaurants serving non-halal or haram beverages they might have put for foreigners. Because I remember last time there was a restaurant that did this was closed by the Islamabad Capital City police. I doubt it's true because the owner would have had his behind kicked and by an angry mob. It cannot be true.

This piece must be phony. If you try to find "La Maison" in Islamabad, Pakistan in any of the online restaurant guides, e.g. Trip Advisor, it's not to be found.

I sent a message with my email in the spaces. Let's see what the response is. Because when searching for this restaurant all I get is this and the article already posted here and also a 2009 piece which was a misunderstanding by a restaurant owner serving food during Ramzan, which is what I suspect this is all about

Terrible that in this day and age there is apartheid in this country. Imagine a french restaurant in paris advertising a certain section of society would not be admitted, there would be another Paris mob. So what happened to their secular ideals - and social justice for all. The fact is if someone wishes to eat halal or not is up to the individual rather than impose it on mass. Who made these people the moral police. The banning has nothing to do with the halal issue but more to do with keeping the joint free of the riff-raff - in this case every Pakistani - no matter the education the class, the fraternity. The owner tried to justify his abhorrent behaviour by citing another wrong. Is he retarded? The place should be closed down and the owners arrested under the racism act.
There is difference between French crowd and Pakistanis (thats why differential treatment)
You will burn the place down if they tell you that they serve Non halal and pork.
no one willingly bars certain section of society and cut down his target customers but as i mentioned in this case the owner is against uncivilized, adamant crowd which relates every thing to religion.

Why some Pakistani posters are getting their panties in a bunch on such a trivial issue.

Every major restaurant around the world and every major airport in 80% countries serve halal/haram thing at the same place.

Why then we have to go crazy on someone opening a restaurant in Pakistan?

Really really childish discussion. Sorry to say.,

The problem is simple, in a free country , you expect to go freely to any resturant
you also expect to go to any villa or own a nice appartment by sea.

There is an issue of allowing freedom to eat and freedom to live to Pakistani citizen and that is against the rules of country infact it can be challenged in court of law by sueing the resturant or hotel

You can't deny services to Pakistani citizen, specially in Pakistan.

The smaller issue is , well will they object to pork , un halal meat or wine or drinks , that is a personal issue , you don't need to show your passport for it.

Hotel/Resturant is not a Airport !!!

In end a Pakistani must have Full Right to eat what he wants , and drink what he wants, the resturant should maintain seperate cleaning areas for washing or cooking Pork vs Halal food.

French food can be also Halal French Food , don't have to be French Bigot in order to enjoy french food

Now if some JI guys do protest against the resturant , government must provide protection to the hotels and resturants.

By the way every known franchise is open in Saudi Arabia and UAE , QATER etc
  • They have halal food on menu
  • Pizza Hut 100% halal, McDonalds, KFC , Italian resturants, french resturants
  • They don't stop their citizens from entry to hotel or resturants (Yes they have dress code)
  • They certainly do not refuse service
  • UAE hotels sell drinks to forigners
What is happening in Pakistan , Its ILLEGAL and complaint should be filed in court

The issue is , the Management for the Hotel sees Pakistani Citizens inferior so it does not serves them simple case of discrimination

Last edited:
Is it only because they used to serve non-halal food? And by that, was it a reference to Pork? Is pork offered in any Restaurant in Pakistan?

It's not just pork but things like escargot apparently. But that is not the issue here, another french restaurant was protested against in 2009 for prohibiting Pakistanis: Cordon Rouge - Islamabad, Pakistan - French Restaurant, Bar | Facebook

The thing is, selective entry is one thing but this is down right ludicrous, and what i find deeply annoying and vexing is that the same Indians who are crying at western colonial injustice against their diplomat's are laughing at why Pakistanis are upset at being denied entry to a restaurant on their OWN SOIL!

Really really childish discussion. Sorry to say.,

People are protesting the entry policy of the restaurant, not the food they serve. 7 seas also serves pork and haram, so does the Canadian, British and American club. The entry policy is what is at question, if it is a selective foreigners only club, relocate it to the Dip Enclave like Cordon Rouge.

People are protesting the entry policy of the restaurant, not the food they serve. 7 seas also serves pork and haram, so does the Canadian, British and American club. The entry policy is what is at question, if it is a selective foreigners only club, relocate it to the Dip Enclave like Cordon Rouge.

Give some time. They will allow it.

Let them establish a little bit.

there are 100s and 1000s of eateries. Let them have a policy based on discrimination for a year or two.

Believe me, the bottom line is the biggest teacher for any businessman.

peace

u wont believe but beef n pork r sold in every city n most villages.........koi halla nahi hota
Nope. Both are very very uncommon. You will find in some very impoverished/shady places - but beef is very uncommon.

It's not just pork but things like escargot apparently. But that is not the issue here, another french restaurant was protested against in 2009 for prohibiting Pakistanis: Cordon Rouge - Islamabad, Pakistan - French Restaurant, Bar | Facebook

The thing is, selective entry is one thing but this is down right ludicrous, and what i find deeply annoying and vexing is that the same Indians who are crying at western colonial injustice against their diplomat's are laughing at why Pakistanis are upset at being denied entry to a restaurant on their OWN SOIL!

Is escargot bad? :azn: I have no idea - me a veggie :angel:

The problem is simple, in a free country , you expect to go freely to any resturant
you also expect to go to any villa or own a nice appartment by sea.

There is an issue of allowing freedom to eat and freedom to live to Pakistani citizen and that is against the rules of country infact it can be challenged in court of law by sueing the resturant or hotel

You can't deny services to Pakistani citizen, specially in Pakistan.

The smaller issue is , well will they object to pork , un halal meat or wine or drinks , that is a personal issue , you don't need to show your passport for it.

Hotel/Resturant is not a Airport !!!

In end a Pakistani must have Full Right to eat what he wants , and drink what he wants, the resturant should maintain seperate cleaning areas for washing or cooking Pork vs Halal food.

French food can be also Halal French Food , don't have to be French Bigot in order to enjoy french food

Now if some JI guys do protest against the resturant , government must provide protection to the hotels and resturants.

By the way every known franchise is open in Saudi Arabia and UAE , QATER etc
  • They have halal food on menu
  • Pizza Hut 100% halal, McDonalds, KFC , Italian resturants, french resturants
  • They don't stop their citizens from entry to hotel or resturants (Yes they have dress code)
  • They certainly do not refuse service
  • UAE hotels sell drinks to forigners
What is happening in Pakistan , Its ILLEGAL and complaint should be filed in court

The issue is , the Management for the Hotel sees Pakistani Citizens inferior so it does not serves them simple case of discrimination
Sounds nice bro - but I would not trust the Govt for providing security. Think from the perspective of the business owner. :) He is also losing Business this way. But according to him, the security of the eatery is more important than letting the local people in. Ironical but true.

Back
Top Bottom