What's new

In a stunning insult to India, US ‘Hyphenates’ India & Pakistan.

It is a cultural and leadership failure from Pakistani Americans in general.

Not really. The problem is that it is impossible to promote Pakistan's interests independent of the officially khaki preferred narratives. Try advocating for schools instead of F-16s and see who attacks you for it.

India needs US more than US needs India. This a no-brainer. In both security and trade affairs, India is just one of the many options at the disposal of US foreign policy. For India on the other hand, the US is a very important partner in trade and security. In time, I believe that US will be seen as the most important security partner for India.

With respect to Pakistan, I see that US will have less expectations from Pakistan (than from India) because of the latter's close relationship with China. US will continue to offer trade privileges for Pakistan, but will expect Pakistani cooperation in security of Afghanistan.

Ultimately, both parties (India and Pakistan) will get what they pay for (from US). :cheers:

Not really. The problem is that it is impossible to promote Pakistan's interests independent of the officially khaki preferred narratives. Try advocating for schools instead of F-16s and see who attacks you for it.
I disagree - the community until recently would not even promote schools and was focused more on immigration at most. The largest Pakistani communities in the country are still one of the weakest in their area. Community is limited to mosque or kitty party events.

I disagree - the community until recently would not even promote schools and was focused more on immigration at most. The largest Pakistani communities in the country are still one of the weakest in their area. Community is limited to mosque or kitty party events.

My experience has been somewhat different, and let me just stop there.

(A member of Congress once told me directly that it is hard to advocate for aid for schools and hospitals when Pakistan's own money is spent on nuclear weapons.)

direct lobbying and involvement with the US state machinery.

Not to argue, but a member of Congress once told me directly that it is hard to advocate for aid for schools and hospitals when Pakistan's own money is spent on nuclear weapons. And it was a pretty long and honest conversation.

Not to argue, but a member of Congress once told me directly that it is hard to advocate for aid for schools and hospitals when Pakistan's own money is spent on nuclear weapons.
That could be applied conversely here as well. But someone has to explain to that member as well that nuclear weapons aren’t cheap but an imperative to keep the peace.

However, I don’t think the focus should be on aid but rather access to technology. The military has a myopic view and the dual access tech can be an issue, but the flipside can be to engage Pakistani businesses directly and provide channels for people to bypass military control on relationships with the United States.

That being said, even if lobbying leads to contacts the home reception party has to be intellectually capable of handling a congressional visit and relationship. Considering the way the elite embarrassed the country with high profile celebrity ambassador visits I doubt lobbying will have any benefit besides geopolitics for Pakistan.

P.S I was recalling a school mate of ours who(apart from being very quirky) with mediocre grades and not much else decided to apply to Harvard and then was sobbing when he received the rejection letter…later blaming anti-muslim bias for his rejection after inception from a parent or someone. Quintessential Pakistani that fellow.

provide channels for people to bypass military control on relationships with the United States.

Suffice to say that this is easier said than done, and not due to any US issues.

It is indeed true that Pakistanis have a very little pilitical clout in the US politics. I personally know some very rich donors but they stand no chance against well organized and funded Hindu groups that easily out match and out do any campaign work by Pakistanis.

As if we were not at a disadvantage already due to the religious intolerance and our perception as the country supporting anti US Talibans, we also have to contend with a huge Indian diaspora that are well paid and educated . They have established themselves in a dominating form due to their IT visas and use their positions and connections to tarnish Pakistan’s image.

Heck one of the biggest supporter and member of Pakistan caucus is Mo Khanna of Indian background.

That said Pakistanis still needs to increase their political participation and organize help for people running for the office to gain what ever leverage can.

Circumstances are such that we don’t really stand to get any sympathy and support from any politician because of the well entrenched narrative that ISI defeated Russia and now the USA .

On a side note we were lucky last month to elect six Pakistanis and most Muslims ever in the Canadian parliament.
37067DD3-B37C-44C0-A6AB-D5392016233C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom