What's new

Imperial Japanese Navy [NIHON KAIGUN]

Shokaku-class Aircraft Carrier

These two were brand spanking new at Pearl Harbor, and participated in almost every major carrier battle during the war. These are my favorite Japanese carriers; big, fast, durable, and handsome. The 2 ships in this class were the IJS Shokaku and the IJS Zuikaku.

IJS Shokaku:
Shokaku1_zps3fcafa4d.jpg

IJS Zuikaku
Zuikaku_zpsc92ea4a3.jpg

shokaku3_zps6afcdcfd.jpg

The chief shipbuilders of carrier Shokaku posing with the hull of the ship two days prior to launching, Yokosuka, Japan, 30 May 1939

Zuikaku2_zps0bbf3fdb.jpg

Japanese carriers Zuikaku (foreground) and Kaga (background) underway toward Hitokappu Bay, Iturup, Kurile Islands, Nov 1941; note Zuikaku's anti-aircraft armament.

shokaku4_zps9445d3d1.jpg

Carrier Shokaku at Yokosuka, Japan, 23 Aug 1941.

Displacement: 30,000 tonnes
Speed: 35 knots
Armament: 84 aircraft, AA rockets, depth charges
Crew: 1660

Soryu-class Aircraft Carrier

Actually, these two vessels were as different as two 'sister ships' can be. Hiryu was almost 4 feet greater of beam, 2,000 tons heavier, and had her island placed on the left side and farther aft on her flight deck. The two ships that made up this class were the: IJS Soryu and the IJS Hiryu. Both carriers composed of the Carrier Force of the Combined Imperial Japanese Fleet.

IJS Hiryu:
Hiryu1_zps70a62870.jpg

IJS Soryu:
SORYU1_zpse2e36564.jpg

Soryu4_zpsb10351af.jpg

IJS Soryu docking to port

Soryu5_zps545c4a9b.jpg

D3A1 dive bombers preparing to take off from Akagi to attack Pearl Harbor, US Territory of Hawaii, 7 Dec 1941; carrier Soryu in background.

Soryu2_zps5c2280cd.jpg

Carrier Soryu fitting out at the Kure Naval Arsenal, Japan, early 1937.

Displacement: 21,000 tonnes
Speed: 35 knots
Armament: 73 aircraft, AA rockets, depth charges
Crew: 1200

PS. @Soryu , the current Soryu-class submarines were named after the Soryu-class aircraft carrier. It is interesting to note that most of the naval vessels in active service within the JMSDF are named after naval vessels of the Imperial Japanese Navy. FYI. :azn:

I also want to share a historically popular song of the Imperial Japanese Navy. The name of the song is :

軍歌:月月火水木金金: Getsugetsukasuimokugingun
English translation: {Every Day through the Week}

:yahoo: :smitten:

Thanks for the link, @Peter C . He is a revered military strategist in Japan to this day, as well as revered even in many international naval colleges. I would like to say that after his death, Yamamoto Isoroku was given a state funeral. He rests in Japan.

4695.jpg

What are these 3 circular symbols on the grave stones? They look like mangekyo sharingan. o_O

What are these 3 circular symbols on the grave stones? They look like mangekyo sharingan. o_O

That is the emblem of the Yamamoto Clan.

The writing on the gravestone says: Here rests Yamamoto Isoroku, Admiral of the Navy of the Great Japanese Empire.

He rests peacefully in Tama Reien Cemetery, in Tokyo.

Ryujo Class Aircraft Carrier

Ryujo was an odd-looking ship, to say the least, with her bridge running across the breadth of the hanger deck forward, and her distinctive undulating sheer line. She was actually a rather handy little carrier, and managed to carry 30+ aircraft on a pretty small displacement. The Japanese undoubtedly found her very useful in the early portions of the war for supplying air cover for various amphibious operations.

Ryujo1_zpsb12f97b1.jpg

Ryujo4_zps07a41334.jpg

Carrier Ryujo in Yokosuka Naval Arsenal, Japan, 20 Mar 1933; note 12.7cm anti-aircraft guns

Ryujo2_zps0006658c.jpg

Close-up view of the bow of carrier Ryujo, Yokosuka, Japan, 19 Jun 1933

Ryujo3_zps2bca3211.jpg

Close-up view of the stern of carrier Ryujo, Yokosuka, Japan, 19 Jun 1933

Displacement: 13,000 tonnes
Speed: 30 knots
Armament: 38 aircraft, AA guns, depth charges
Crew: 924

His plane crashed on an island. I believe it is still there.

They have some experience building them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyūga-class_helicopter_destroyer

Izumo-class helicopter destroyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was referring to the Japanese building a CBG with fighter jets on them. Japanese can easily make them. Helicopter carriers are good but they should have at least one nuclear aircraft carrier.

Taiho Class

The most beautiful Aircraft Carrier the Japanese built during the war, and a distinct departure design-wise, being the first Japanese carrier to incorporate a closed hurricane bow (a la contemporary British carriers).

taiho1_zps6a4f4959.jpg

taiho2_zpsde397914.jpg

Displacement: 36,000 tonnes
Speed: 34 knots
Armament: 60 aircraft, multiple guns, rockets, depth charges
Crew: 1751

Hiyo Class

Hiyo_zpsd4953612.jpg

Displacement: 27,000 tonnes
Speed: 25 knots
Armament: 53 aircraft, multiple aa guns, depth charges, rockets
Crew: 1224

Any plans to have new carriers? You could definitely make the ShinShin into a carrier based stealth fighter.

I was referring to the Japanese building a CBG with fighter jets on them. Japanese can easily make them. Helicopter carriers are good but they should have at least one nuclear aircraft carrier.

In time, my friend. In time.

There is a saying in Japanese:

Shizukade, yukkuri to, shizukana nagare wa, arekuruu kawa ni naru.

(a quiet, slow stream will become a raging river)

I always wanted to ride on board this Japanese ship ;)

View attachment 34118

I'll do it for you. :enjoy:

Shokaku-class Aircraft Carrier

These two were brand spanking new at Pearl Harbor, and participated in almost every major carrier battle during the war. These are my favorite Japanese carriers; big, fast, durable, and handsome. The 2 ships in this class were the IJS Shokaku and the IJS Zuikaku.

IJS Shokaku:
Shokaku1_zps3fcafa4d.jpg

IJS Zuikaku
Zuikaku_zpsc92ea4a3.jpg

Wow man, you guys had so many aircraft carriers even back in the 1940's.

We just recently got our first aircraft carrier in 2012. :cheesy:

Back
Top Bottom