What's new

If we have $13 billion, can we spend $1 billion for our military?

Protect them from what? The beast the Indian navy will be in the future? Good luck.

You should spend $10 billion.

:lol:

You Indians are really funny.

Two reasons why BD military is so weak:

1. Very tiny economy in the past which is fixed now.
2. Very low percentage of GDP devoted to military in the past 4 decades - around half that of India on average.

All that BD needs to do is raise military spending to 2.5-3% of GDP and see how powerful a defensive force BD becomes in 15 years time.

Yes India can take this on at the cost of losing pretty much their whole Navy in the eastern sector.:rofl:

You are still a very tiny economy.

2. Very low percentage of GDP devoted to military in the past 4 decades - around half that of India on average.

All that BD needs to do is raise military spending to 2.5-3% of GDP and see how powerful a defensive force BD becomes in 15 years time.

Yes India can take this on at the cost of losing pretty much their whole Navy in the eastern sector.:rofl:

3% of GDP is like 3 Billion dollars. So you are saying you will counter with billion dollar budget an army which has 40 billion dollars budget. And then you will also sink the whole Easter Fleet. Man even Pakistanis don't make this kind of claim. When their Navy is 10 times better than yours. Infact many of them will be cursing me for comparing their navy with your navy. You must be knowing some jadoo tona if say you can do this.

Thanks for the good laugh though. Funny post indeed.

You are still a very tiny economy.

3% of GDP is like 3 Billion dollars. So you are saying you will counter with billion dollar budget an army which has 40 billion dollars budget. And then you will also sink the whole Easter Fleet. Man even Pakistanis don't make this kind of claim. When their Navy is 10 times better than yours. You must be knowing some jadoo tona if say you can do this.

Thanks for the good laugh though. Funny post indeed.

The rebased(2005 base year) BD economy will come in around 180 billion dollars.

It is currently 130 billion dollars with a 1995 base year.

Learn some facts first, then talk.

Oh, and the BD economy is growing quicker than yours.:lol:

Lastly, Pakistan spends most of it's money on it's army and airforce but BD should focus more on Navy and Air-force.

Ok ok 3% GDP is 3.9 Billion dollars. I will give you that benefit even though its actually 110 in 2011. Happy now. Or you want more correction.

And from where did you pull that number out 180. From your magic hat or is this Bangladeshi mathematics

Ok ok 3% GDP is 3.9 Billion dollars. I will give you that benefit even though its actually 110 in 2011. Happy now. Or you want more correction.

And from where did you pull that number out 180. From your magic hat or is this Bangladeshi mathematics

Ever wondered how come BD has better social indicators than both India and Pakistan but is so much "poorer".

It is not really.

Even BD cannot defy the laws of economics.:lol:

You're the one that's hilarious.:lol:

BSF will just throw a agni over the border then you'll done.

Ever wondered how come BD has better social indicators than both India and Pakistan but is so much "poorer".

It is not really.

Even BD cannot defy the laws of economics.:lol:

Why are you changing the topic man. I asked you a simple question. How did you get that number 180.

And according to you Bangladeshis India is anyways a dirt poor country. So can we have better indicators than super power Bangladesh.

Now lets get back to your tiny economy. Where did you get that 180?

Why are you changing the topic man. I asked you a simple question. How did you get that number 180.

And according to you Bangladeshis India is anyways a dirt poor country. So can we have better indicators than super power Bangladesh.

Now lets get back to your tiny economy. Where did you get that 180?

Please argue with the Economist and people like Sen as to who has better living standards for it's masses. They will both say BD but you Indians will never accept that anyway.

The ~180 billion will be what the BD economy will be rebased to for year 2005 to as it currently is based on the 1995 base year. Many new sectors are now operating in BD since 1995 and so the current prediction of the economy does not reflect this. GDP is always an estimate and not a true size of an economy.

The rebased(2005 base year) BD economy will come in around 180 billion dollars.

It is currently 130 billion dollars with a 1995 base year.

Learn some facts first, then talk.

Oh, and the BD economy is growing quicker than yours.:lol:

Lastly, Pakistan spends most of it's money on it's army and airforce but BD should focus more on Navy and Air-force.

there r two fundamental flaws in ur argument :
1. Ur $180 billion economy dream is yet to be fulfilled
2. Both Airforce n Navy requires much more money than Army to operate n increase their strength

besides i m more interested to know as to why BD govt. isn't implementing this "base year change" plan, may be @captain planet might shed some light here...:)

btw a sudden increase in economy due to base year change will result in a sharp increase in takka value against the USD but wouldn't that also result in BD exports becoming more expensive than its counterparts...:azn:

Last edited by a moderator:
there r two fundamental flaws in ur argument :
1. Ur $180 billion economy dream is yet to be fulfilled
2. Both Airforce n Navy requires much more money than Army to operate n increase their strength

besides i m more interested to know as to why BD govt. isn't implementing this "base year change" plan, may be @captain planet might shed some light here...:)

btw a sudden increase in economy due to base year change will result in a sharp increase in takka value against the USD but wouldn't that also result in BD exports becoming more expensive than its counterparts...:azn:

Link: http://www.defencenow.com/news/777/indian-army-expects-$200-billion-to-meet-needs-over-next-five-years.html

"For 2012-13, the Indian Army has already got a budgetary allocation of over $19 billion out of the $38 billion annual Defence budget and will be spending about $4.5 billion of its allocation towards capital acquisition of new equipment and weapons."

Do some research before quoting such nonsense.

Indian Army requires as much money as the Airforce and Navy put together.

BD should double the percentage of GDP that it spends on defence(should be phased in up to 2020) and spend all the extra money on the navy and airforce. The country has the advantage, due to geography, that it does not need to spend billions buying 1000+ tanks to defend against India.

This way even with a military budget of around 4 billion dollars a year(in today's money). the BD Navy will be able to take on half the Indian Navy in a defensive role in the Bay of Bengal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Link: http://www.defencenow.com/news/777/indian-army-expects-$200-billion-to-meet-needs-over-next-five-years.html

"For 2012-13, the Indian Army has already got a budgetary allocation of over $19 billion out of the $38 billion annual Defence budget and will be spending about $4.5 billion of its allocation towards capital acquisition of new equipment and weapons."

Do some research before quoting such nonsense.

Indian Army requires as much money as the Airforce and Navy put together.

BD should double the percentage of GDP that it spends on defence(should be phased in up to 2020) and spend all the extra money on the navy and airforce. The country has the advantage, due to geography, that it does not need to spend billions buying 1000+ tanks to defend against India.

This way even with a military budget of around 4 billion dollars a year(in today's money). the BD Navy will be able to take on half the Indian Navy in a defensive role in the Bay of Bengal.

What i meant was Airforce n Navy equipments r much more costlier to purchase as well as to maintain in comparison to Army.
Indian Army is a 1.129 million personnel force whereas Indian Air force has a strength of 150,000 n IN has a strength of only 58,350 personnel so see the difference thats why IA takes the loin's share in defense budget

if u still can't understand then i can't help with ur comprehension skill

As far as taking on half of IN is concerned i'll be pleased to know some details on that front supported by facts like what equipments BDN is planning to get not with some fantasy stories...:blah:

We don't need a million troops but in modern warfare troop level is shrinking with greater importance to greater fire power with lesser weapons & advancement in technology easy to maintain & operate. A total of 300K troops in all 3 services with a strong navy with anti-sub warfare capability, a AF with decent deep strike ability & a advance Army specialized in guerilla warfare should be enough for us. The conventional power to turn NE & WB to wasteland will do the job & we no doubt have the potential for such modernization. :coffee:

We don't need a million troops but in modern warfare troop level is shrinking with greater importance to greater fire power with lesser weapons & advancement in technology easy to maintain & operate. A total of 300K troops in all 3 services with a strong navy with anti-sub warfare capability, a AF with decent deep strike ability & a advance Army specialized in guerilla warfare should be enough for us. The conventional power to turn NE & WB to wasteland will do the job & we no doubt have the potential for such modernization. :coffee:

May Bay of Bengal rise and shine. :coffee:

What i meant was Airforce n Navy equipments r much more costlier to purchase as well as to maintain in comparison to Army.
Indian Army is a 1.129 million personnel force whereas Indian Air force has a strength of 150,000 n IN has a strength of only 58,350 personnel so see the difference thats why IA takes the loin's share in defense budget

if u still can't understand then i can't help with ur comprehension skill

As far as taking on half of IN is concerned i'll be pleased to know some details on that front supported by facts like what equipments BDN is planning to get not with some fantasy stories...:blah:

You are making no sense.

My plan foresees around 40/40/20 defence spending split between Navy/Airforce/Army. It will be the Navy and the airforce(to provide air cover) against Indian carriers that will be forces used.

I am not going into any kind of discussion about weapons systems that BD will be buying with it's increased funding but you can be sure that due to the availability of Chinese weapons, BD will be able to purchase similar-capability arms at less than what India will be paying.

Too many Indians are dreaming of hegemony in South Asia but they forget that BD will also be a powerful military in the future, like Pakistan is now.

Back
Top Bottom