What's new

ICC Men's Cricket World Cup

1700076898835.png

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has announced the appointment of Shan Masood as the Test captain and Shaheen Afridi as the T20Is.

The board announced the development in a post on social media platform X - formerly Twitter.

Shan has been appointed captain till the end of the ICC World Test Championship 2023-25. His first assignment will be a three-match Test series against Australia starting from December 14.

Meanwhile, Shaheen will lead Pakistan Men’s Team in the T20I format and his first assignment will be the five-match T20I series in New Zealand from January 12 to 21 January. The 23-year-old quick has bagged 64 wickets in 52 T20Is.

Shaheen has also captained Lahore Qalandars in PSL and has helped the side win the tournament twice in two years in the 2022 and 2023 editions.

The move comes shortly after Babar Azam stepped down as-format captain, following a humiliating World Cup campaign.

He was under fire after Pakistan failed to perform in the Asia Cup and continued the same momentum into the World Cup — where they crashed out before reaching the semis.

I guess these Pakistani legends knows a thing or two about cricket rather than any PDF members, elite or otherwise.

A new pitch was prepared in Wankhede stadium to give both teams a fair chance in the Semi-Final match. Indian team have had the opportunity to play on the other pitch in Wankhede stadium during the Group Stage and ICC accepted Indian request to choose it instead. New Zealand had not played a match in Wankhede stadium during the Group Stage in fact.

Problem is that Mitchell McClenaghan speculated that NZ bawling attack can be effective on the new pitch before the Semi-Final match and this speculation was sufficient to create panic in BCCI and ICC allowed Indian team to play the match on the pitch it had experience with. If this switch is not controversial then why would ICC pitch consultant Andy Atkinson have reservations about it?

Some players might have a different take on this issue but a controversy is a controversy. ICC should come up with strict rules for any World Cup tournament to leave no room for controversy in the future. The objective should be to make World Cup matches as fair as possible for all teams.

Any person having principles can understand a controversy.

Indian team winning a match in an Indian ground while being allowed to play on a familiar pitch and winning the toss as well, does not make it a better team. Everything was in your favor in these conditions.

World Cup Semi Final and Final matches should be on a fresh pitch in a completely neutral venue. This will show which is the better team and what pressure is in real sense.
I see that you didn't answer a single of my questions because speculation is more convenient than looking at facts. Has either the ICC or NZ Cricket Board or even NZ team complained about any rules not being followed? Williamson, whose team actually played on the pitch, was gracious in defeat and admitted the better team won and there was nothing v about how the pitch played, but some crybabys will always be crybabys. Conditions in every single World Cup have favored the home team. The ICC has rules in place to govern the extent of the home team advantage and no one has claimed any rules were broken.

Absolutely boring match due to pitch switch. Indian team wasn't confident in its chances on a fresh pitch so ICC came to its rescue. Looking forward to what Australia can do.
Pakistan is out , all matches will be boring .now look forward for your test series in Australia .

Last edited:
Dr Nauman Niaz

Bizarre II

That Babar Azam has stepped down or coerced into calling it a day is routine in our fragile aimless cricket set up.

If the PCB Management Committee contemplated redressing all problems sacking the captain must be the byproduct of their La La land.

I believe appointing @shani_official captain for Tests & wisely naming @saudshak as his deputy will give a better spectacle.
Will this resolve all problems, marginalize the wedge between our template of cricket & rest of the top teams where India’s rise & solidity remains a case study.
It won’t.
A few may know Pakistan after they won the Benson & Hedges World Cup in 1992, there was discontent even against Imrån Khan by the time team had reached Singapore.
Imrån was gone & by 1996 Wasim Akram was their captain.
He was removed followed by a gauntlet of players captaining Pakistan.
Akram was back again in 1999.
A new captain Waqar Younis went to South Africa captaining Pakistan in 2003.
He was left in the lurch & Inzamam Ul Haq was their captain in 2007.
He was removed, and Shahid Afridi led Pakistan in India in 2011. He was gone too.
Misbah Ul Haq was the captain in 2015 & Sarfraz Ahmad was there in 2019.
In 2023 we had Babar.

Changing captains to qualify once for the semi finals in 24 years doesn’t seem to be a health restoring prescription.

After Babar Who? & then the next only reflects poorly on our systems.

Did we ever try changing Chairman of the PCB after heavy losses? Let’s try this one.
It may give us a permanent solution.

Let’s have the PCB Management Committee form the BOG, remove all the irritants & conduct elections of the Chairman PCB.

That will be viable giving the new incumbent a space to initiate infrastructural overhaul, modernise structures & implement reforms.
Ad hoc arrangements are failed prepositions & reinforcing failures is no literacy.

@KlasraRauf @MalickViews @iRashidLatif68 @krick3r @mak_asif

Honestly speaking it’s not Babar Azam’s loss, it is Pakistan cricket’s untimely glitch.

A new pitch was prepared in Wankhede stadium to give both teams a fair chance in the Semi-Final match. Indian team have had the opportunity to play on the other pitch in Wankhede stadium during the Group Stage and ICC accepted Indian request to choose it instead. New Zealand had not played a match in Wankhede stadium during the Group Stage in fact.

Problem is that Mitchell McClenaghan speculated that NZ bawling attack can be effective on the new pitch before the Semi-Final match and this speculation was sufficient to create panic in BCCI and ICC allowed Indian team to play the match on the pitch it had experience with. If this switch is not controversial then why would ICC pitch consultant Andy Atkinson have reservations about it?

Some players might have a different take on this issue but a controversy is a controversy. ICC should come up with strict rules for any World Cup tournament to leave no room for controversy in the future. The objective should be to make World Cup matches as fair as possible for all teams.

Sorry any given day.

More Values would be given to these gentlemen about cricket.

Listen to them - they given the remarks the post match, they told - most balance pitch prepared, and don't listen to social media's too much..

Other pakistani shows, most ex-pak cricket players, appreciated the pitch played in Mumbai

Dr Nauman Niaz

Bizarre II

That Babar Azam has stepped down or coerced into calling it a day is routine in our fragile aimless cricket set up.

If the PCB Management Committee contemplated redressing all problems sacking the captain must be the byproduct of their La La land.

I believe appointing @shani_official captain for Tests & wisely naming @saudshak as his deputy will give a better spectacle.
Will this resolve all problems, marginalize the wedge between our template of cricket & rest of the top teams where India’s rise & solidity remains a case study.
It won’t.
A few may know Pakistan after they won the Benson & Hedges World Cup in 1992, there was discontent even against Imrån Khan by the time team had reached Singapore.
Imrån was gone & by 1996 Wasim Akram was their captain.
He was removed followed by a gauntlet of players captaining Pakistan.
Akram was back again in 1999.
A new captain Waqar Younis went to South Africa captaining Pakistan in 2003.
He was left in the lurch & Inzamam Ul Haq was their captain in 2007.
He was removed, and Shahid Afridi led Pakistan in India in 2011. He was gone too.
Misbah Ul Haq was the captain in 2015 & Sarfraz Ahmad was there in 2019.
In 2023 we had Babar.

Changing captains to qualify once for the semi finals in 24 years doesn’t seem to be a health restoring prescription.

After Babar Who? & then the next only reflects poorly on our systems.

Did we ever try changing Chairman of the PCB after heavy losses? Let’s try this one.
It may give us a permanent solution.

Let’s have the PCB Management Committee form the BOG, remove all the irritants & conduct elections of the Chairman PCB.

That will be viable giving the new incumbent a space to initiate infrastructural overhaul, modernise structures & implement reforms.
Ad hoc arrangements are failed prepositions & reinforcing failures is no literacy.

@KlasraRauf @MalickViews @iRashidLatif68 @krick3r @mak_asif

Honestly speaking it’s not Babar Azam’s loss, it is Pakistan cricket’s untimely glitch.
Babar doesn’t have it in him to be a captain. Just because he’s a good batter doesn’t mean he will be able to captain a side.
Pakistan picked the wrong side by omitting Fakhar - Naseem Shah was injured and poor decision making by the captain and players didn’t perform to their capabilities - perhaps a shake up will do the team good - sadly management won’t be touched because of their political allegiance

Australia off to a great start. I think India would prefer to face SA, but Australia is looking like favorites.

I am expecting final match between India and Australia.

Deep down I suspected that NZ will choke. I wanted to mention this but I was traveling.

I am expecting final match between India and Australia.

Deep down I suspected that NZ will choke. I wanted to mention this but I was traveling.
I don't think NZ choked. That would imply they had the game in their hands and blew it. They were behind right from the first over of the innings. Even when Williamson and Mitchell were batting, they were in with a chance but India were still always ahead.

Is this serious question? Australia obviously.
Why ? I think South Africa will be easier to beat than Australia. Australia are much tougher mentally and their captain is not a liability.

Last edited:
I don't think NZ choked. That would imply they had the game in their hands and blew out. They were behind right from the first over of the innings. Even when Williamson and Mitchell were batting, they were in with a chance but India were still always ahead.
Come on, now. NZ struggle to create lasting partnerships. This was apparent in NZ match against Sri Lanka as well.

Australia can create lasting partnerships in comparison.

Why ? I think South Africa will be easier to beat than Australia. Australia are much tougher mentally and their captain is not a liability.
I know. The question was stupid to begin with.

I think Bavuma is a sifarishi player, like Tom Latham and Imam ul Haq. I have no idea what Bavuma does for the team.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom