What's new

ICC 2010 Twenty20 World Cup THREAD

What the captains said

Chris Gayle - “During the layoff I was able to do a lot of work and I'm feeling strong again.

I played really well (against Canada where his 100 runs came off just 199 balls) but I know I still have improvements to make before we start the World T20 tournament. I want be more balanced at the crease and work more on shot selection.”

Michael Clarke - “I think I can definitely still take it up a notch. But I can't walk out there and smack the ball out of the park from the very first ball. I know I won't be successful like that. For me it's important to play my shots, to use my strengths, my speed, my running between wickets and my energy in the field. With the squad we have if we need blokes to walk in there and hit it out of the park, we've got a lot of those players. I don't think I have to do that.”
I played really well (against Canada where his 100 runs came off just 199 balls) but I know I still have improvements to make before we start the World T20 tournament. I want be more balanced at the crease and work more on shot selection.”

Graeme Smith - “We won't be here for most of the football World Cup, but we will be gathering around television sets and watching. I'm sure South Africa is going to deliver a wonderful World Cup. You know that there's a lot of expectation. Everyone is hoping that we can bring back a trophy. ''It's a short tournament and its quite intense. What better way to give Bafana some confidence than if we do well in the Caribbean?”

Shakib Al Hasan - “I think there is a possibility for us to beat Pakistan because, at the moment, Pakistan cricket is unsettled with different kinds of crisis and injury problems,” Shakib said in Mirpur, prior to the team's departure. So we have to do something in the first match if we want to play the second round, but that doesn't mean we play bad cricket against other group opponents Australia.”

Daniel Vettori - “I've always thought I'd play until I was about 35 and Test cricket is the part of the game that I want to persevere with. While most of his contempories plot their exit by bowing out of Test play to spend their twilight years chasing the Twenty20 dollars, Vettori's roadmap heads in the other direction. One of only two cricket millionaires in New Zealand, along with Brendon McCullum, thanks primarily to playing Twenty20 in the Indian Premier League, Vettori will concentrate on the less lucrative but pure form of Test cricket.

Mahendra Singh Dhoni - “We will be going into the Twenty20 fully prepared, though we will have very little time to refresh ourselves. As professionals, we are always committed to giving our best. There can be no excuse for failure.”

Brett Lee out of World Twenty20 with arm injury

Brett Lee's hopes of making an international comeback have been dashed by a muscle strain in his right forearm that will force him out of the ICC World Twenty20. Lee suffered the problem during Australia's one-run warm-up loss to Zimbabwe and the team has requested a replacement player, likely to be either Doug Bollinger or Ryan Harris.

The injury is a major blow for Lee, who has not played for his country since October and was making his return from elbow surgery. Lee felt pain after taking 1 for 13 in four overs and later had MRI scans, and a team spokesman said the strain was unrelated to his elbow trouble.

"It's a muscle strain," the team spokesman told AAP. "We have gone to the ICC Technical Committee to ask for a replacement player."

The latest problem will raise further questions over the future of Lee, 33, who retired from Tests in February but wanted to remain a key Twenty20 and one-day player. A broken thumb curtailed his IPL season and although he retained his Cricket Australia contract, his ongoing injury worries must be a concern for the team management.

Australia play their second warm-up game against the Windward Islands on Thursday before their opening match of the tournament proper against Pakistan on Sunday. Bollinger and Harris are the front-runners to replace Lee, having both had strong summers in the shorter formats.

Zimbabwe shock Australia with warm-up win

April 27, 2010

Zimbabwe 173 for 7 (Chigumbura 76, Johnson 4-23) beat Australia 172 for 7 (Clarke 49) by 1 run

I hope our performance in the Caribbean catches the eye of some IPL team-owner:D
Hamid Hassan, Afghanistan's star allrounder, hopes to use the World Twenty20 as a launching pad into the big league
IPL every players dream:azn:

are bhai shaoib par se to ban hata do na(after all he is MR.consistent in pakistan)

aur plz bring younis khan

whole pakistan tem will be lookin good

are bhai shaoib par se to ban hata do na(after all he is MR.consistent in pakistan)

aur plz bring younis khan

whole pakistan tem will be lookin good

Pak team is balanced only few players missing
Imran Farhat
Imran Nazir
Umer Gull

There is no place for
Abdul Rehman
Hammad Azam
Fawad Alam

No need for Malik and Younis ....both are in poor form from last 2 years.

Afghanistan v Ireland

Afghanistan won by 5 wickets (with 3 balls remaining)

Back
Top Bottom