What's new

ICC 2010 Twenty20 World Cup THREAD

a major fault with us is that wen eva we loose a series we change the captain. that is not a rit way to go. we need to stick with the same captain and let him work on his mistakes as well. dont even remember how many times we have changed our captain in last few years

yeah 100% agreed......we have this habit/problem since past 2 decades i remember in WC2003 about half of our team had captained Pakistan in any time of their career.

There should be only one captain and we should give him fair chance to improve his skills as a captain. Look at South Africa who has captained their side a part from Smith? or in Australia how many of them captained their side a part from Ricky Ponting to Clark?

We have a habit of changing our captain almost every second series we lose

Now we have chosen Afridi, i would say make him captain for at least 202/13 until he is retired or made a very silly mistake by eating ball again. Changing the captain divide the captain again n again

to be honest i never liked yousuf. happy he is gone. feel sorry for younus though

Who has the highest Average in ODI from Pakistan? Even playing at Number 5 (less chance to score more as overs end up pretty early) Muhammad Yousaf managed to get highest Average. You can like or dislike any one for any reason but remember him, he is one of the kind. :pakistan:

Indian Squad for the Twenty-20 World Cup 2010

e527040e2cdaa32616c819d1f2153c06.jpg

1).Mahendra Singh Dhoni (Captain and Wicketkeeper)
2).Virender Sehwag (Vice Captain)
3).Gautam Gambhir
4).Yuvraj Singh
5).Suresh Raina
6).Yusuf Pathan
7).Ravindra Jadeja
8).Harbhajan Singh
9).Zaheer Khan
10).Piyush Chawla
11).Dinesh Karthik
12).Ashish Nehra
13).Praveen Kumar
14).Vinay Kumar
15).Rohit Sharma

Last edited:
in reality indian, sri lankan, south african and somehow australian team looks better for this World Cup but we had a weaker team in 2009 World Cup also and we still managed to win the World Cup. We have played against other countries after World Cup and we still defeated Sri Lanka and New Zealand (lost 1 match from Aussies). So i am very optimistic we should be able to bring a better performance from this weaker team once again and i am hoping Pakistan will successfully defend its title Insha'Allah

Here's an interesting article. A real complement to the great Tendulkar by the current Pakistani captain.

Tendulkar's absence a blessing in disguise - Afridi

Shahid Afridi, Pakistan's captain for the upcoming World Twenty20, has said that Sachin Tendulkar's absence from the Indian team for the tournament will be a blessing in disguise for the other sides.

"The way he has blossomed in the last few years, he is only getting better and better as a batsman. If he is not playing for India in the Twenty20 World Cup, it is certainly a big advantage for other teams," Afridi was quoted in the Times of India. "If Tendulkar had played in this World Cup, I am sure he would made big impact for India."

Tendulkar voluntarily ruled himself out of international Twenty20 matches in 2007, before the inaugural World Twenty20, in order to preserve himself for the longer formats. He has been in fine form in the IPL, having scored 303 runs in the first six matches, seven runs shy of Jacques Kallis who tops the run charts. Tendulkar's purple patch led to suggestions that he reconsider his decision, but Tendulkar has ruled out such a possibility.

Afridi feels that age has not had any effect on Tendulkar's powers. "With every match he seems to be growing as a batsman and getting better. He is playing like a teenager. There is no sign of age affecting his game at all," Afridi said.

"The biggest thing that he still enjoys playing the sport and he is hunger for runs has not died at all," he said. I think even in Twenty20 cricket you need to bat properly and at times even playing out 20 overs is a big challenge for a team. You need to play orthodox cricket," Afridi said.

Tendulkar's absence a blessing in disguise - Afridi | Pakistan Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Its a real shame Sachin decided not to play T-20 for India. I was hoping he would change his mind. He has shown this IPL that he is still at the top, whichever form of cricket is being played. The fact that his opponents are pleased of his absence is a real testament to his talent.

Last edited:
Uthappa was in good form :( ..couldnt understand why they didnt selected him

Indian Squad for the Twenty-20 World Cup 2010

e527040e2cdaa32616c819d1f2153c06.jpg

3).Gautam Gambhir
4).Yuvraj Singh
5).Suresh Raina
6).Yusuf Pathan
7).Ravindra Jadeja
8).Harbhajan Singh
9).Zaheer Khan
10).Piyush Chawla
11).Dinesh Karthik
12).Ashish Nehra
13).Praveen Kumar
14).Vinay Kumar
15).Rohit Sharma

Personally I don't like the team selected. I don't know on what basis the team was selected. I don't have a problem with the first 9 plus Dinesh Karthik and Praveen Kumar on that list. I am not too sure about Vinay Kumar, but the rest do seem controversial.

Piyush Chawla: I have no idea why he was selected over amit mishra, pragyan ojha and murali karthik. All 3 have performed better in the IPL and before than Chawla.

Ashish Nehra: His bowling record isn't very impressive, and he is currently injured. Even if he recovers, he might not be at his best. Irfan Pathan will be a better choice, since he is also very handy with the bat.

Rohit Sharma: Was in bad form leading up to his selection. Also, Virat Kohli and Robin Uthappa, who have been in fine form, have bee overlooked in Rohit's favour. (But Rohit did play a couple of good innings for Deccan after his selection.)

If i were to pick the indian team (yeah, i know, i wish)

3).Gautam Gambhir
4).Yuvraj Singh
5).Suresh Raina
6).Yusuf Pathan
7).Ravindra Jadeja
8).Harbhajan Singh
9).Zaheer Khan
10).Amit Mishra
11).Dinesh Karthik
12).Irfan Pathan
13).Praveen Kumar
14).Vinay Kumar
15).Virat Kohli

So, what do you guys think? All opinions welcome.

This thread is to discuss the tournament overall and related news and topics.

Lets see how this tournament unfolds.

Good luck to all!!!!!

Sehwag out of World Twenty20

India opener Virender Sehwag has suffered a shoulder injury, which has ruled him out of the ICC World Twenty20 beginning in the West Indies on April 30. Sehwag has been advised rest for three to four weeks, and has been replaced by Tamil Nadu batsman M Vijay in the 15-man squad, the BCCI said in a statement.

The BCCI statement, however, did not mention how or when Sehwag sustained the injury. Sehwag played all 14 IPL league matches for Delhi Daredevils, scoring 356 runs at an average of 25, his last appearance being on April 18. He was deemed fit when included in the World Twenty20 squad so it's likely the injury occurred during Delhi's IPL campaign.

The blow is similar to the one India suffered before the 2009 ICC World Twenty20. Sehwag had sustained a shoulder injury during the 2009 IPL in South Africa, shortly before the World Twenty20 was due to begin. He travelled with the squad to England, but was not able to play a game. India were eliminated without winning a game in the second round.

His replacement, Vijay, has been in aggressive form for Chennai Super Kings, scoring 417 runs, including a century, at an average of 38. He has been India's back-up opener for Tests and ODIs as well.

Virender Sehwag out of World Twenty20 | Cricket News | ICC World Twenty20 2010 | Cricinfo.com

Here you go an IPL effect!

Gul's 'honesty' draws praise from Afridi, Mohsin​
Press Trust of India21 April 2010

Umar Gul's decision to withdraw from Pakistan's Twenty20 World Cup squad due to a shoulder injury has drawn praise from captain Shahid Afridi and chief selector Mohsin Khan, who feel the pacer has set a good precedent by being honest about his fitness.

Mohsin and Afridi confirmed that Gul had informed them that he was not 100 per cent fit for the mega-event because of his shoulder injury.

"It is a good gesture from a senior player and sets the right precedent for others to follow in future," Mohsin said.

"Umar told us that he was not 100 per cent fit in the camp and required more time to gain his full rhythm and fitness and that we should consider including someone else in his place for the World Cup," the chief selector added.

"I am 70 to 80 per cent fit at the moment but I do not think that is enough to play in an international event which demands 100 per cent fitness," Gul said.

"Everyone including the coaching staff was keen to have me on the team considering the fact that my bowling was of some help during the previous two editions of the World Twenty20. Majority of the stakeholders believed that I can regain fitness in ten to fifteen days but that is something that was entirely based on hope." he said.

Gul said he did not want to hurt the team's chances by hanging on to his place despite not being fully fit.

"It was a risk that I think the country and the team was not in a position to afford. I think you can only stake a claim when you feel you are in a position to deliver. I may be able to regain fitness or could never have been in a position to bowl a single delivery in West Indies . That would have been a blow to the team's chances," Gul said.

All-rounder Yasir Arafat was also ruled out of the World Cup because of a calf muscle injury and Muhammad Sami and left arm spinner Abdul Rehman were named replacements for the two unfit players in the Pakistan squad.

The ICC World Cup technical committee on Tuesday approved the changes in the Pakistan team.

Gul's 'honesty' draws praise from Afridi, Mohsin - CRICKETNDTV.com

Well done Umar Gul!!!

Back
Top Bottom