What's new

I thought Canada was a tolerant country but I was wrong…

10169276_545919518859283_7343332264735290449_n.jpg

It was March 13, 2014 – a pleasant morning in Ottawa, the capital of Canada – when I boarded an OcTranspo bus from the University of Ottawa to go to Carleton University for some laboratory experiments.

I was very happy since my wife and child were to join me in Canada within three days after almost 10 months. They had faced some trouble with getting a visa initially and at one point I had almost thought of quitting my PhD fellowship. So it was with a feeling of contentment that everything was finally sorted and there would be a smooth road ahead, that I boarded that bus.

Suddenly, I saw that the bus driver was waving in the rear view mirror. I looked around, realising I was the only passenger, I stood up and went to him. As I approached, I heard him ask for the bus ticket. I took out my wallet, showed him the student bus pass and politely said that the rear bus door clearly had a sign stating that people with bus passes can board from the rear door. The bus driver yelled back at me quite angrily,

“But this is an Express, you a*s#@|e!”

My jaw dropped and for a moment I simply stood there in shock and staring at the bus driver. I couldn’t believe what he had just said and I didn’t understand why he had said it. This was the first time in 28 years on this planet that I had been called an A*s#@|e. I was pretty sure I hadn’t done or said anything to deserve that.

I took hold of myself and asked,

“Is this how you treat people in this country?”

And he shouted back,

“Yes, this is how we treat people in this country!”

As much as I wanted to punch him in the face or at least hurl some abuses at him, I somehow managed to calm myself down and instead asked him to stop the bus because I wanted to call the OcTranspo supervisor and report the matter to him. Obviously, the bus driver wanted me to do nothing of the sort and tried to drive off but I managed to get off the bus, noted its unique four-digit number and called the OcTranspo complaint centre.

The call centre lady took down my complaint and I asked her to keep me informed of the action that OcTranspo would take against the bus driver. However, she said that they would not be able to tell me about the investigation and action and based on her response, I began to doubt whether the company would actually do anything about my complaint at all.

I was infuriated because all the buses in Canada are equipped with multiple cameras and OcTranspo could have reviewed what had actually happened. But instead of appeasing me, the public transit company of the federal capital of Canada seemed to take no notice of a passenger’s very valid complaint.

My perfect day was destroyed and I couldn’t understand why that bus driver had abused me for no reason and why OcTranspo was unwilling to do anything about it. Being thousands of kilometres away from my country, family and people, I started to feel like an unwanted alien.

This is a feeling that only foreigners can understand in a country where you are easily identified as ‘not from here’. This feeling of alienation and hostility stayed with me the entire day and even my work in the laboratory was affected. I just couldn’t get over the fact that I had been abused, unprovoked, by a complete stranger.

I personally felt like I had been racially discriminated against since my religion and ethnicity were obvious from my appearance.

Disturbed by this incident and the lack of accountability by the concerned party, I approached the university’s international office, the legal clinic, the student federation and even the employee union since I was a teaching assistant and hence, an employee. However, no one was willing or able to guide me as to what action to take against OcTranspo.

Although I am an engineer, I have a passion for politics and being an avid reader of current affairs, I followed two local daily newspapers, the Metro and Ottawa Sun. Being a regular follower, I knew they carried such stories; in fact, I had even come across entire features dedicated to the abuse of animals. And hence, I approached both dailies with my story. However, I was surprised and further dejected when both the newspapers refused to carry my story.

I realised that this country had more rights for cats and dogs than for international students.

I had never faced a situation like this, even during my two-year studies in Scotland and Sweden, and had, so far, believed that Canada had negligible racism and gave adequate rights to its immigrant population. But this incident proved me wrong.

Not admitting defeat, I decided to channel my anger into a productive cause. I figured that there must be many international students who never reported incidents of verbal and perhaps, even physical hatred and abuse. I made up my mind that I would stand up for the rights of international students on and off campus for the rest of my stay at the University of Ottawa.

Although I continue to raise my voice against racial discrimination and advocate for immigrant rights, it has been over a month since that incident with OcTranspo and I haven’t received any reply regarding my complaint from the bus company, any university employee or department. However, being a student member of the university senate, I have been recently elected to represent the graduate students of Science and Engineering and I take this as a positive indication of increasing acceptance and inclusion of international students.

This has given me hope that even though I am an ‘outsider’ in this country and community but if I want to defend my right to respect and equality, I must stand up for it and somehow, somewhere, it will bring about a change for me and for others like me.

I do hope that the concerned authorities look into the matter with OcTranspo and if nothing else, I hope that my efforts will spare other people from facing undue discrimination and racism.​

Source: I thought Canada was a tolerant country but I was wrong… – The Express Tribune Blog

one pissed off bus driver and you conclude Canada is not a tolerant country, all you had to do is reply "suck on this" and point to you know where

If the muslims don't rise against zionist Al Qaeda, they will always be hated because of the cruelty of Al Qaeda made screaming Allahu Ackbar

Just because you have never seen a murder means it doesn't exist?

Finding excuses for the racist is really weird. I hope one day you get humiliated and we say he had a bad day don't mind

where does racism comes into this

If the muslims don't rise against zionist Al Qaeda, they will always be hated because of the cruelty of Al Qaeda made screaming Allahu Ackbar

Finding excuses for the racist is really weird. I hope one day you get humiliated and we say he had a bad day don't mind

I dont think people of the subcontinent are so liberal that they will find excuses to defend a bus driver who is less relate-able than a brown guy.
BTW I did a research on this guy and found this statement-

""Awan initially said he was “scared of white people” because of the incident.
“I should never generalize things. I have had a good experience so far, especially on campus. On campus, people have been really nice, maybe because they are educated,” he later said."

"Scared of white people", nice because "maybe because they are educated". Wow.. the "victim" is racist.

All this because someone called him an asshole? What an asshole.

Not just an asshole. An asshole that boarded the bus from the exit door in the first place. And then proceeded to get his undergarments all twisted up at being called out on it.

You get humiliated here by others ... trust me it is not because you are a muslim. sometimes as A---hole is an A--hole ;)

1St: liberals hate the racists, they defend the oppressed
Right wingers defend the oppressors
2Nd:stupid people who relativize the people's problems exist everywhere, i call them stupid

I dont think people of the subcontinent are so liberal that they will find excuses to defend a bus driver who is less relate-able than a brown guy.
BTW I did a research on this guy and found this statement-

""Awan initially said he was “scared of white people” because of the incident.
“I should never generalize things. I have had a good experience so far, especially on campus. On campus, people have been really nice, maybe because they are educated,” he later said."

"Scared of white people", nice because "maybe because they are educated". Wow.. the "victim" is racist.

You get humiliated here by others ... trust me it is not because you are a muslim. sometimes as A---hole is an A--hole ;)
It's better to defend zionist Al Qaeda who give you problems
People like this are brainless and enjoy beheaders

I saw a (desi) driver calling a black kid idiot infront of her infuriated mother (coz he took seat without telling driver he is 10 yrs and need not pay). Later on both mother and kid abused the driver with choicest expleteves.
Driving in city is a stressful job.

What a ridiculous article.

Yes, the bus driver was a jerk and, yes, the authorities should have censured the driver, but it's ridiculous to generalize this to the whole country.

So why did the guy enter the Express bus from the wrong door?

Irrelevant. The bus driver behaved unprofessionally and there's no excuse.

I saw a (desi) driver calling a black kid idiot infront of her infuriated mother (coz he took seat without telling driver he is 10 yrs and need not pay). Later on both mother and kid abused the driver with choicest expleteves.
Driving in city is a stressful job.

And I heard that you too were hurled racist slurs at because of your beard even if it was only your pet skunk wrapped around your neck as a sign of affection for the potentially nose-rattling creature you called as friend ! :unsure:

My perfect day was destroyed and I couldn’t understand why that bus driver had abused me for no reason and why OcTranspo was unwilling to do anything about it. Being thousands of kilometres away from my country, family and people, I started to feel like an unwanted alien.

Stupid written by the author something Kashif, he just purposely use this to label Canada is bad country which is not true. I don't understand why he think that no one will use bad languages when immigration come to any western countries.

Driver being low paid income is obviously frustrated with bad day, simple just ignore him and walk away. That's grown up man!

It was March 13, 2014 – a pleasant morning in Ottawa, the capital of Canada – when I boarded an OcTranspo bus from the University of Ottawa to go to Carleton University for some laboratory experiments.

I was very happy since my wife and child were to join me in Canada within three days after almost 10 months. They had faced some trouble with getting a visa initially and at one point I had almost thought of quitting my PhD fellowship. So it was with a feeling of contentment that everything was finally sorted and there would be a smooth road ahead, that I boarded that bus.

Suddenly, I saw that the bus driver was waving in the rear view mirror. I looked around, realising I was the only passenger, I stood up and went to him. As I approached, I heard him ask for the bus ticket. I took out my wallet, showed him the student bus pass and politely said that the rear bus door clearly had a sign stating that people with bus passes can board from the rear door. The bus driver yelled back at me quite angrily,

My jaw dropped and for a moment I simply stood there in shock and staring at the bus driver. I couldn’t believe what he had just said and I didn’t understand why he had said it. This was the first time in 28 years on this planet that I had been called an A*s#@|e. I was pretty sure I hadn’t done or said anything to deserve that.

And he shouted back,

As much as I wanted to punch him in the face or at least hurl some abuses at him, I somehow managed to calm myself down and instead asked him to stop the bus because I wanted to call the OcTranspo supervisor and report the matter to him. Obviously, the bus driver wanted me to do nothing of the sort and tried to drive off but I managed to get off the bus, noted its unique four-digit number and called the OcTranspo complaint centre.

The call centre lady took down my complaint and I asked her to keep me informed of the action that OcTranspo would take against the bus driver. However, she said that they would not be able to tell me about the investigation and action and based on her response, I began to doubt whether the company would actually do anything about my complaint at all.

I was infuriated because all the buses in Canada are equipped with multiple cameras and OcTranspo could have reviewed what had actually happened. But instead of appeasing me, the public transit company of the federal capital of Canada seemed to take no notice of a passenger’s very valid complaint.

This is a feeling that only foreigners can understand in a country where you are easily identified as ‘not from here’. This feeling of alienation and hostility stayed with me the entire day and even my work in the laboratory was affected. I just couldn’t get over the fact that I had been abused, unprovoked, by a complete stranger.

I personally felt like I had been racially discriminated against since my religion and ethnicity were obvious from my appearance.

Disturbed by this incident and the lack of accountability by the concerned party, I approached the university’s international office, the legal clinic, the student federation and even the employee union since I was a teaching assistant and hence, an employee. However, no one was willing or able to guide me as to what action to take against OcTranspo.

Although I am an engineer, I have a passion for politics and being an avid reader of current affairs, I followed two local daily newspapers, the Metro and Ottawa Sun. Being a regular follower, I knew they carried such stories; in fact, I had even come across entire features dedicated to the abuse of animals. And hence, I approached both dailies with my story. However, I was surprised and further dejected when both the newspapers refused to carry my story.

I realised that this country had more rights for cats and dogs than for international students.

I had never faced a situation like this, even during my two-year studies in Scotland and Sweden, and had, so far, believed that Canada had negligible racism and gave adequate rights to its immigrant population. But this incident proved me wrong.

Not admitting defeat, I decided to channel my anger into a productive cause. I figured that there must be many international students who never reported incidents of verbal and perhaps, even physical hatred and abuse. I made up my mind that I would stand up for the rights of international students on and off campus for the rest of my stay at the University of Ottawa.

Although I continue to raise my voice against racial discrimination and advocate for immigrant rights, it has been over a month since that incident with OcTranspo and I haven’t received any reply regarding my complaint from the bus company, any university employee or department. However, being a student member of the university senate, I have been recently elected to represent the graduate students of Science and Engineering and I take this as a positive indication of increasing acceptance and inclusion of international students.

This has given me hope that even though I am an ‘outsider’ in this country and community but if I want to defend my right to respect and equality, I must stand up for it and somehow, somewhere, it will bring about a change for me and for others like me.

I do hope that the concerned authorities look into the matter with OcTranspo and if nothing else, I hope that my efforts will spare other people from facing undue discrimination and racism.​

Source: I thought Canada was a tolerant country but I was wrong… – The Express Tribune Blog

And he shouted back,

Keep crying :coffee:

The whole world ain't gonna be tolerant enough for this prick.

When has calling someone asshole become racist, the driver might be having a bad day or acted rudely....from what i read it was the passenger who brought race in equation by saying is this how you treat people.What an asshole, pakistani victim complex i guess.

Winnipeg police release video of violent bus attack on Indian bus driver

bus-beating.jpg

October 2013

Police are looking for a young man who violently beat a Winnipeg Transit driver last month for not giving him a bus transfer.

Winnipeg police released a video of the explosive attack on Tuesday, asking for the public’s help identifying the man.

The incident happened on Sept. 14 around 12:30 p.m. when a man got on a bus at William Avenue and Isabel Street.

Police said the man didn’t pay the required fare and demanded a transfer from the 50-year-old driver. The video shows he then began beating the driver, punching him multiple times and kicking him.

Police originally released photos of the man on Oct. 2, but when they failed to identify a suspect, they released a video of the attack.

“When this type of violence is direct towards [bus drivers] we will take it seriously, and we will do all that we can to identify this fellow and bring him into custody,” Const. Eric Hofley told reporters. “We need to be clear that this type of behaviour is unacceptable.”

The attack lasted between two and three minutes, until two unknown men got on the bus and intervened. One of the men was also assaulted by the suspect. At one point the video dissolves, but police said it was because unidentified people on the bus enter the frame.

The young man was finally coaxed off the bus, but the confrontation continued with a group of strangers outside the bus, police said.

Safety on Winnipeg Transit buses has been an ongoing issue in Winnipeg, with concerns for drivers and passengers prompting a variety of proposals for new safety measures.

Earlier this year, city council received a report that recommended adding special constables to troublesome routes.

The Enhancing Public Safety on Transit report recommended hiring six officers, at a cost of more than $500,000 a year, to attend routes known to be dangerous for drivers and passengers.

Coun. Brian Mayes has long been calling for better security measures on Winnipeg Transit buses, but so far, the city has taken no action.

Malvinder Grewal has been a Winnipeg Transit driver for the past 10 years. He said he has been spat on several times, and drivers learn to live with a certain level of risk and abuse.

“I can take more than the average person I guess, coming from India. You learn to live with a lot of different things,” said Grewal. “Sometimes it does get rough, I guess. I guess I’ve been lucky.”

Passenger Deonauth Sarjuada has taken the bus for the past 23 years and said he usually feels safe, but occasionally passengers do disrespect drivers.

“I’ve been riding the bus for a while. [It happens] maybe once in a while,” said Sarjuada. “They just don’t want to be friendly. They just want to be sometimes rude or stuff like that.”

Bus-rider Marlene Bowman said she has a lot of sympathy for the people who have to deal with violent or angry passengers.

“For the bus driver I feel very bad because they deal with a lot, as you know,” said Bowman.

Assaults against bus drivers have actually be on the decline since 2009 but still happen about once a week.

Winnipeg Transit figures show 63 assaults happened in 2011 and 51 in 2012.

Buses equipped with cameras

All of the city’s 565 Winnipeg Transit buses are equipped with cameras and GPS systems. Transit authorities say they have seen an increase in convictions for assaults since they installed the cameras, and bus drivers are trained in assault prevention.

Officials said they are also studying new security methods for drivers.

The author is a sensitive sissy :lol:
I really cannot see anything racist or hateful in calling someone an asshole .

Irrelevant. The bus driver behaved unprofessionally and there's no excuse.

And the unprofessional conduct of one bus driver in calling out somebody breaking a clear rule is enough to launch a web tirade on how an entire country is intolerant? :lol:

BTW Talking of racism, Pakistani taxi drivers just do not want to take black customers in Dubai - a fact I've noticed a hundred times.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom