What's new

I have less faith on my army that you have on yours, Sharif told Manmohan Singh in New York

Democracy loving Nawaz Sharif's thugs attack Supreme Court of Pakistan.

After a calm coup, Pakistanis celebrate
The public expresses relief at Tuesday's ouster of Prime Minister
After a calm coup, Pakistanis celebrate - CSMonitor.com
By Farhan Bokhari, Special to The Christian Science Monitor / October 14, 1999

As he drove by in his cab, Nisar Ali raised a 'V' for victory sign, waving to a group of soldiers outside Islamabad's international airport.

Related stories

Ads by Google
Call Forward - Free Trial
Forward international toll free
calls to any phone. Instant online.

tollfreeforwarding.com/CallForward
Subscribe Today to the Monitor

Click Here for your FREE 30 DAYS of
The Christian Science Monitor
Weekly Digital Edition

Stopping at a gas station for a fill-up, Mr. Ali gestured to the attendant and grinned. "I'm so happy today. Nawaz Sharif is gone."

Ali was just one of the many Pakistanis who were celebrating the downfall of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's government, removed in a military coup on Tuesday. Mr. Sharif for months has been growing increasingly unpopular at home, mainly due to Pakistan's increasing economic weakness. Relations with the military have also eroded, particularly following Sharif's decision last July to withdraw from the Kashmir conflict with India.

Across the country, a general calm presided as many people stayed at home the day after Sharif abruptly dismissed Gen. Pervaiz Musharraf and Army troops quickly moved to take control. In a predawn address yesterday, General Musharraf told the country, "For the moment, I only wish to assure you that the situation in the country is perfectly calm, stable, and under control." In anticipation of a run on the banks, yesterday was declared a public holiday. Pakistan's stock markets were also closed to prevent panic selling.

Analysts said Sharif's government's failure to collect taxes of 354 billion rupees ($7 billion), which was the target during the July-June financial year, meant that resources earlier allocated for developmental projects had to be withheld. Collections at the end of the year were about 18 percent behind target.

Sharif was criticized by business leaders, asking not to be identified, who argue that his government failed to encourage new foreign investment in Pakistan. Many companies have decided to take their business elsewhere, because Sharif's government acquired a reputation of being a regime that did not fulfill its promises on policy matters. As a result, total direct foreign investment in Pakistan during the last financial year was only $360 million, or almost 40 percent below the previous year.

While Pakistani public reaction to the military coup was generally one of welcome, the businessmen note that the government installed by Musharraf, the military chief, would have to address issues that are important to the general public - such as improving health-care access and education for the impoverished.

Says Ghazi Salahuddin, a widely read newspaper columnist, "The real challenge facing the new government would be to improve the quality of life for people. A government which improves the lives of the people would be the one that would gain legitimacy."

Senior government officials however noted that the initial reaction from countries outside the world, including the US, which condemned the coup, was the first and possibly a knee-jerk reaction to the military takeover.

One senior official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said, "The US and other Western countries would have to take note of the fact that a nuclear-capable country like Pakistan can not be forced to go in to economic disarray. There will be condemnation of the coup, but that doesn't mean that Pakistan would be isolated."

However, Western diplomats note Musharraf would have to move fast to convince the outside world that the coup he led would not be followed by a harsh rule where human rights are widely abused. Some diplomats say it was likely that Musharraf may appoint a team of technocrats, a reference to eminent Pakistanis in different fields, to run the government for a specified period of time before fresh elections are held.

Officials say that the dismissed Sharif is being kept under house arrest at an unspecified home in Islamabad.

(c) Copyright 1999. The Christian Science Publishing Society

allthough the thread isnt is about , the militry take over, but still a few of NOORA age ts are trying hard to justyfy, the paid political traitorship , of a media group & its paid servent HM?

His personal opinion was about the most important institution of this country. Also he was meeting Manmohan as PM of Pakistan not some ordinary guy.

So you would have no issues with Indian PM discussing internal issues of India with Pakistani PM? Will the Indian population accept it?
Well this is not a public statement that Nawaz Sharif made ,had it been public such fracas over it was understandable. The issue that they were discussing was LOC,and as i said India is dealing with multiple power centers in Pakistan when it comes to border related issues and MFN.Its no secret.

I have less faith on my army that you have on yours, Sharif told Manmohan Singh in New York : North, News - India Today

@Tameem @cb4 @Chak Bamu

So don't you guys think this is the right time to charge ganja for article 6 and hanged for treason? Or article 6 is only for Musharraf?

@Jazzbot @Patriots @batmannow

Check Ganja's baighairiti please.
Ok !!!! consider thing from his perspective. his army chief got them into a war without the PM knowing , then when he wanted to fire the COAS the army chief organised a coup.
you really think a person is going to forget that?

That is only for how long we need them until some party shows that it is worth a vote
This is exactly what I meant when I said that pakistanis change their voices every decade. You can't switch between military and Civilian rule. Simply because None of them can do well in chaos and this jumping will hurt the economy the most.

I have less faith on my army that you have on yours, Sharif told Manmohan Singh in New York : North, News - India Today

@Tameem @cb4 @Chak Bamu

So don't you guys think this is the right time to charge ganja for article 6 and hanged for treason? Or article 6 is only for Musharraf?

@Jazzbot @Patriots @batmannow

Check Ganja's baighairiti please.

first of all only a 16 year old will believe this news
2nd, In Pakistan we had 3 martial laws, India had none.
3rd, there is no bigger dumbistani than you if you believe a PM of one country have this kind of conversation with PM of enemy country.

Well army of any country is to be respected, after all they protect the country. But your country had many times in the past been taken over by your army, throwing the parliamentarian system haywire.
I would like to know if Pakistani awaam was really living happily under the Mushi regime??
whenever our great army, took over the country, its just because they had no choice ?
thts why our country only progreesed in the rule of militry?

This is exactly what I meant when I said that pakistanis change their voices every decade. You can't switch between military and Civilian rule. Simply because None of them can do well in chaos and this jumping will hurt the economy the most.
We def can...freedom of speech, expression whatever... :enjoy:

whenever our great army, took over the country, its just because they had no choice ?
thts why our country only progreesed in the rule of militry?
What do you 've to say about Gen.Zia-Ul Haq's regime???
And why did Paksitani awaam rejoice on streets after Mushi's resignation??

What do you 've to say about Gen.Zia-Ul Haq's regime???
And why did Paksitani awaam rejoice on streets after Mushi's resignation??
pakistani awam, went to distribute sweets on both of the takeovers, of genrls ?
you dont know that?
both were patriotic hawks, did best of thier abilities, then proved with sacrifices of power & body?
find it one genrl doing that in india?

Well Indian army is totally different from Pakistan army... and no one doubts the general's courage or patriotism..... and Yeah... they implement the decisions of Indian government.... not the other way....

pakistani awam, went to distribute sweets on both of the takeovers, of genrls ?
you dont know that?
both were patriotic hawks, did best of thier abilities, then proved with sacrifices of power & body?
Thankfully we 've never had narcissist generals,they were hawkish towards the enemies and not towards the government.

Back
Top Bottom