What's new

How the Urdu language and literature slipped into darkness in Bangladesh

A lot of Bengali educated class still incorrectly believe Urdu to be the mother tongue of Pakistanis. They were never told that we Pakistanis have more than 70 languages and Urdu is only one of them. Therefore, Bengalis are brainwashed to hate Urdu in order to hate Pakistan. Even India recognizes Urdu to be one of there many recognized languages.
It is the bad influences from the Kolkata based West Bengali propaganda machine which never accepted the formation of Pakistan where East Bengalis actively joined in 1947.
We didn't want some alien tongue from Uttar Pradesh as our language of administration. In Bengal you speak Bengali, as simple as that.

We didn't want some alien tongue from Uttar Pradesh as our language of administration. In Bengal you speak Bengali, as simple as that.

This is a long subject and although it is buried now, the Urdu subject will resurface in BD just as the Farsi/Dari issue is coming back in Pakistan.

As a Muslim, I understand that you love your language, but you should realize that your destiny and vision needs to be larger, and language holds the key to that.

This is a long subject and although it is buried now, the Urdu subject will resurface in BD just as the Farsi/Dari issue is coming back in Pakistan.

As a Muslim, I understand that you love your language, but you should realize that your destiny and vision needs to be larger, and language holds the key to that.
My own idea is to reinstate Urdu as a subject of study in Class Vlll, lX, and X as it was before the 1971 war. People already know how to speak Hindi. Hindi is very similar to Urdu except for the syllables. However, we cannot read the Hindi script also.

The addition of Urdu as a subject would help people in BD to learn basic Urdu. This will help our people abroad to communicate with both Pakistanis and Indians.

A Pakistani or an Indian living in any of their respective Province learn at laest three languages. For example, a Punjabi from Pakistan learns Punjabi, Urdu, and English. But, in our case, we learn only two languages, Bengali and English.

My own idea is to reinstate Urdu as a subject of study in Class Vlll, lX, and X as it was before the 1971 war. People already know how to speak Hindi. Hindi is very similar to Urdu except for the syllables. However, we cannot read the Hindi script also.

The addition of Urdu as a subject would help people in BD to learn basic Urdu. This will help our people abroad to communicate with both Pakistanis and Indians.

A Pakistani or an Indian living in any of their respective Province learn at laest three languages. For example, a Punjabi from Pakistan learns Punjabi, Urdu, and English. But, in our case, we learn only two languages, Bengali and English.
Sorry but Hindi and its variants are useless for Bangladeshis in a practical sense. All effort should go into learning English and, as an option, Chinese.
English along with technical skills will enable Bangladeshis to both develop local industries as well as take up well paying jobs overseas instead of slaving for Arabs.

We do not have the luxury to spend limited resources on useless activities. The more Bangladesh distances itself from backward countries the better.

If it was upto me, I would ban all Indian Pakistani and Middle Eastern TV channels and only run Western (including Turkish), Chinese and East Asian channels.

I would also add, that some things are not done by choice, but by virtue of your history and experiences.
We being in the west, and closer to the wider Islamic community, and closer to the heartland that produced great thinkers in Islamic history, gave us different experiences, and a different perspective.

Bangladesh being a Muslim majority region, and surrounded by non-Muslim cultures was surely to have a different perspective, plus because it was and is a uniformly a Bengali area, it could hold onto a single calling of a Bengali culture and Bengali language. Which played a part in the decisions they have made. Some among us misunderstand their intentions, due to that history.

But, I would warn anyone who questions their love of Islam, which I've learnt some here hint towards, a very wrong conclusion. They feel the brotherhood with Pakistanis, a lot more then Pakistanis realise, It is an important point, that needs to be told. But, the fact is the wounds of 1971 are still fresh among some Bengalis, so, some things will take time. Only difference is, we have chosen to move on and somehow dealt with our pain quietly, they as yet, have not.

The situation in my opinion isn't so simple, the above is my interpretation. Whatever the actual reality, there is one thing of which I am certain, If I had to choose non-Pakistani communities to cover my back, as if my life depended on it, Bengalis would be near the top of that list, not the government, the people. I am certain time will prove me right.
Most BD people are not even good speakers of Bengali itself let alone other languages. As such BD people's intellectual development remains at the low ebb.

Most of the Europeans learn two or three languages and all the Indian and Pakistani students learn two or more languages. BD people only half-learn one Bengali language. Please read the following excerpt.

"-------------------. The studies suggest the bilingualism improves the brain’s executive function. It helps with ignoring distractions to stay focused, switching attention willfully from one thing to another and holding information in mind. Learning another language is one of the most effective and practical ways to increase intelligence, keep your mind sharp, and buffer your brain against aging".

Last edited:
You are an idiot, what the heck are you talking about?
You keep making silly comments, that have no relevance to the discussion, and without explaining yourself.
I am going to block you, because you have nothing useful to say. Stop wasting my time.

You started off by calling yourself a b.st.ard, then you continue by making silly irrelevant comments, when I've already asked you to provide reasoned answers for a proper discussion, you have not.

Go get a brain, before you include yourself in a discussion, stop wasting my time.
Read Bilal Khan. You might learn some history and stop you running with your mouth.

You know, you give yourself away as soon as you start attacking anyone who questions you. The man asked you to present proof for your claims. Do it. Otherwise, walk away.

I'm sure he can present at least a dozen researches conducted by third parties into your claims which categorically state that your claims are false.

Sorry but Hindi and its variants are useless for Bangladeshis in a practical sense. All effort should go into learning English and, as an option, Chinese.
English along with technical skills will enable Bangladeshis to both develop local industries as well as take up well paying jobs overseas instead of slaving for Arabs.

We do not have the luxury to spend limited resources on useless activities. The more Bangladesh distances itself from backward countries the better.

If it was upto me, I would ban all Indian Pakistani and Middle Eastern TV channels and only run Western (including Turkish), Chinese and East Asian channels.

why not ban Islam as well while you are it? but, its your country, so do what you want.

A Pakistani or an Indian living in any of their respective Province learn at laest three languages. For example, a Punjabi from Pakistan learns Punjabi, Urdu, and English. But, in our case, we learn only two languages, Bengali and English
Punjabi learn Urdu because it's the Lingua Franca of Pakistan.

Indians learn Hindi as Lingua Franca.

But we don't need third language as compulsory language, as 98-99% speak in Bengali.

Punjabi learn Urdu because it's the Lingua Franca of Pakistan.

Indians learn Hindi as Lingua Franca.

But we don't need third language as compulsory language, as 98-99% speak in Bengali.
You will agree that most BD people are not even good speakers of standard Bengali itself let alone other languages. As such BD people's intellectual development remains at the low ebb.

Most of the Europeans learn two or three languages and all the Indian and Pakistani students learn two or more languages. BD people only half-learn one Bengali language. Please read the following excerpt from the internet source.

"-------------------. The studies suggest the bilingualism improves the brain’s executive function. It helps with ignoring distractions to stay focused, switching attention willfully from one thing to another and holding information in mind. Learning another language is one of the most effective and practical ways to increase intelligence, keep your mind sharp, and buffer your brain against aging".

Back
Top Bottom