What's new

How many years will it take for China to add another India's nominal GDP? 3, 4 or 5?

How many years it will take for China to add another Indian GDP?

• less than 3 years

• 3 years

• 4 years

• 5 years

• more than 5 years

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, I do believe India has made a great progress in the last 20 some years, but how much the poorest segment of the society has been benefiting from the development is totally different question.

Worst forms of poverty have dropped considerably:

PG_15.07.08_GlobalMiddleClass_overview_221.png

We are on the threshold of creating a larger middle income consumer class like China started to do back in 2000ish.

China’s middle class surges, while India’s lags behind | Pew Research Center

is a very interesting read. I would suggest it. It shows the decade lag economically quite well.

You started this conversation by pretending that you are an erudite scholar in economics. a couple of posts later, you are a trash-talking ignoramus. Quite a steep fall, I must say.

Your initial assertion was that PPP is no measure at all. Now you have modified it to the extent that it serves as a useful measure of poverty. That serves me fine. Lower wages translating into higher PPP might trouble you, but it also means that those earning low wages have to spend less on their own consumption basket. PPP may not be a very good indicator of what you can buy outside your country (say, it does not mean that India will pay less for the defence equipment that it imports from other countries) and hence does not impact the purchasing power of a country qua imports and purchases made abroad. But as for spending within the country, it is the benchmark.

You got yourself tangled up in just one example of the computing device, whereas the real issue, as I have pointed out, is purchasing power within and outside. Never complicate things more than they need to be.
LOLpretensions of an erudite scholar?That has been your behaviour all along and not mine.I on the other hand have just kept to my knowledge base and poked fun at your lofty pretensions at lying through your teeth.
I still stand by my assertion that PPP is not a quality benchmark at all.The reason why I entirely dismissed it is that the focus of this thread is middle class and as has been proved irrefutably here-it is nearly useless for measuring it,particularly for economies like India that have little manufacturing or quality standards overall.

PPP may not be a very good indicator of what you can buy outside your country (say, it does not mean that India will pay less for the defence equipment that it imports from other countries) and hence does not impact the purchasing power of a country qua imports and purchases made abroad. But as for spending within the country, it is the benchmark.

The part in bold italicised is your argument and just shows your ignorance or downright lying on the matter.As I have pointed out a couple of posts above,PPP is useless even for spending within the country as soon as you move out of the very basic demands of food etc. and goes for a middle class lifestyle at similar quality levels.Unless you want o ignore the quality factor which of course you are so anxious to.

You got yourself tangled up in just one example of the computing device, whereas the real issue, as I have pointed out, is purchasing power within and outside. Never complicate things more than they need to be.

The very simple examples were to get down to your levels and simply demonstrate to everyone on this forum,yes even those completely ignorant of PPP and nominal benchmarks what an ignorant buffon you are, who hopes that that technical jargon will make up for your lack of comprehension an attempts at lying.That the basic items or services which require unskilled labour benefit from the PPP perspective yet the aspirations and consumption of middle class lifestyle requires products and services that require more of manufactured good and services that require highly skilled labour and expensive,advanced infrastructure and it is here that the PPP advantage vanishes and inmany ways these are more expensive in countries with high PP like India where there is almost no manufacturing and suffers from a lack of highly trained labour force.

What you simply can't get is-spending inside a country doesn't magically lower your costs.You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that anything that costs an arm and a leg in the international market will magically have it's price reduced to a third or less because of PPP.It is this basic misconception that Indians seem to have i.e, PPP magically reduces all their expenditures by 3 times whereas in reality that is dictated by your lifestyle choices-want to enjoy the PPP advantage?Live a pauper struggling to make ends meet.Want a decent middle class one?Say goodbye to PPP for all intents and purposes

Finally,if you still have issues wrapping around why PPP is useless for any country which seeks to be more than a hand to mouth entity.

Last edited:
Why you Chines always post fake data and are liked by the fellow Chinese members?

Let me help you guys...

Life expectance of India is 68.3 (2015) and that of China is 75.2 (2015)

Geoba.se: Gazetteer - The World - Life Expectancy - Top 100+ By Country (2015)

In 1990, China's life expectancy was 68.6 and India's was 58.

Global Health Observatory Data Repository

So 1990 is 1970 for you?

regarding the social issues raised by you, pray tell me what are these?

1) Poverty reduced from 47% in 1990 to 19% in 2015
2) Literacy increased from 55% to 72%
3) Per capita GDP from 855 USD to 1750 USD in 2015.

Should I post UNHDP links too?

HUfu6.gif

Having noodle(without meat) in the cheapest eatery on the street, cost around 5 yuan($0.78).
U may find cheaper one in India, but the eatery I mention on the street is equipped with A/C and wifi.
View attachment 263444
In India that may cost $1.6 dollars without a fan let alone an A.C. and of course,wi fi?more chances of striking oil than that.Of course you can get a roadside stall one at 16 cents but I doubt one will live long if one does actually eat that.

From your own graph... 2015-2020 for India and 1985-1990 for China.

And the links I posted are from United Nations. Indias life expectancy in 2015 in same as that of China's of 1990. Nothing to be proud of. I agree. But why tell lies that its 1970s?

It all depends on the source you use, change the source and you get different data.

Lets agree that China has done better on social parameters (similar to say Kerala, TN, Sri Lanka) and India is catching up now. The social indicators coming out of India are improving faster than at any time period before....so there is no shame, whatever Chinese trolls like to mock about. Though I consider @Dungeness to not be a troll seeing how he actually has some valid debate points and positive intent it seems.

And the links I posted are from United Nations. Indias life expectancy in 2015 in same as that of China's of 1990. Nothing to be proud of. I agree. But why tell lies that its 1970s?

We Chinese like to talk about what we have done, hence 2010-2015 number is used. You Indian love to talk about "future" so you prefer 2015-2020 figure (looks better for Indians too). As simple as that. Don't get mad if others prefer the former. :cheesy:

We Chinese like to talk about what we have done, hence 2010-2015 number is used. You Indian love to talk about "future" so you prefer 2015-2020 figure (looks better for Indians too). As simple as that. Don't get mad if others prefer the former. :cheesy:
My god! I need to explain this also.... Ok here it goes...

The data in the graph shows a block of 5 years. For the one you quoted... the data is from 2010 to 2015. The end of the block, where 2015-2020 starts IS THE DATA FOR 2015 !!!! Today is 2015, remember?

So the block which shows 2015-20 actually starts at 2015..... got it?

It is not rocket science. :)

Seriously, i always find it interesting the need to put down Indian growth and Indian development trends. What's the point? Do members here find elation and joy in pointing out the flaws of nation states? Seriously, one developing country telling another developing country, "hey, you, developing country! look how more developed i am! even tho i'm not super , ultra developed like say JAPAN, or USA, or GERMANY, i'm superior to you because i make $5000 more than you! Hah! Even tho i make a fraction compared to the developed nations, doesn't matter, what counts is how much superior i am to you! bah, now go the corner and cry and regret in your misery and glorify me because i have developed more than you....!!"

Hmm, you see how ridiculous this looks and sounds to citizens coming from 1st world? :)

Its just silly.

The graph was posted just to prove I was not lying as my Indian friend was accusing me to. I am no here to prove India is inferior to Chinese. I just want to tell my Indian friends that GDP number is nothing, comparing to the importance of inclusive development, as they keep bring up India is 15 years behind China because GDP number says so.

How convenient of you to not post the table :woot::

f08GSOb.jpg

China tourism arrivals have already started to decrease back then?:o:

BTW, 8-9 millions tourists visiting India in 2015 roughly. And it is epxected to double to 16 million+ by 2025 and keep increasing at a fast pace as the sector gathers momentum. So it wont be long till India is in top 10 table for Asia tourist arrivals.

Indian tourism trajectory is quite good but still a long way to go....just like other sectors of its economy (still in take off phase).

http://www.wttc.org/-/media/files/reports/economic impact research/countries 2015/india2015.pdf

Also we should look at tourism receipts as well:

International tourism, receipts (current US$) | Data | Table

Already India is in the top 10 in Asia for that (Almost double Indonesia Receipts)

For 2013 some examples:

China - 56 billion USD

India - 19 billion USD

Japan - 17 billion USD

Indonesia - 10 billion USD

:coffee: And you have similarly and conveniently left out the little nation of "Singapore" which equal to India or even Hong Kong (SAR of China) that dwarf India completely.

Whatever, IMO India is still categorized and belongs to the third world list of nation.

And for as long as India do not do anything about her growing and runaway population, all these argument forwarded by nationalistic Indians will tantamount to nothing more than DREAMS.

Imagine folks will murdered another person in India because of an allegation he ate a cow. And they all yearn to go to a cattle nation called USA. :cheers::cheers:

The graph was posted just to prove I was not lying as my Indian friend was accusing me to. I am no here to prove India is inferior to Chinese. I just want to tell my Indian friends that GDP number is nothing, comparing to the importance of inclusive development, as they keep bring up India is 15 years behind China because GDP number says so.

Its all relative. To be honest, what's the most important thing is that both China and India are developing on a positive linear pathway. Focus on constructivist views, instead of focusing and wasting unnecessary energy on proving who is superior to who. Its not a race, there is no arbitrary "prize" to reach first world status. In the end of the day the average Guo and Lakshmi still has to work, has to go to school, and has to pay taxes.

Just saying.

My god! I need to explain this also.... Ok here it goes...

The data in the graph shows a block of 5 years. For the one you quoted... the data is from 2010 to 2015. The end of the block, where 2015-2020 starts IS THE DATA FOR 2015 !!!! Today is 2015, remember?

So the block which shows 2015-20 actually starts at 2015..... got it?

It is not rocket science. :)

Maybe you did not notice, the "future" in the graph was in shade. You are trying too hard, my friend! If you really want to talk about the future, look the India in 2045-2050 from the graph, you are still 40 years behind China. :cheesy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom