What's new

How many years will it take for China to add another India's nominal GDP? 3, 4 or 5?

How many years it will take for China to add another Indian GDP?

• less than 3 years

• 3 years

• 4 years

• 5 years

• more than 5 years

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not reflected in the macronutrient profile in any meaningful way. Protein intake per person in India is satisfactory and the FAO has put the food calorie supply at more than 105% for India per capita.

For an easy comparison, I collected the consumption per capita data of some major food types (data given as China / India, in kg):

Meat: 59.6 / 4.1
Fish: 32.8 / 5.9
Egg: 62.0 / 2.5
Milk: 29.7 / 53.7
Vegetable: 348 / 84.7
Fruit: 91.6 / 52.0
Sugar & Sweetener: 110 / 23.2
Cereal: 151 / 147.0

To summarize:
  • Chinese people consumes far more high nutrition food than Indian people (milk is the only exception, but the gap is much smaller than other types like meat, fish, egg, vegetables, or sugar)
  • The consumption of cereal is on the same level. Congratulations to India!
  • Given the scaring gap, it is hard for me to believe that the nutrition condition of India could be called as "satisfactory".
  • I've been visited India twice and visited Mumbai, Delhi and Chennai. To be frankly, when walking on the streets of the largest Indian cities, the number of the malnutrition people seen is significantly higher than what I could see in China. I would suggest you to make a comparison on your own, if you could get the chance to visit China in future.

It is well known that heart diseases, colon cancer, diabetes and other forms of overconsumption diseases are taking an increasing toll on western health. So India must be wary of these problems and seek to focus on a more healthy balanced nutrition profile like that found in Japan compared to say the US....and one that is suitable for our environment and conditions.....rather than directly replicating western food consumption patters and having things like this result:

Come on! How could you insult Japan in such a silly manner?? You need to respect the following facts: Japanese eats 12x of meat compared to Indian, 9x of fish and 8x of eggs. How could you describe this as "balanced nutrition profile like that found in Japan"? That's the worst insult on Japan that I've ever seen!

Remember, low meat consumption resulted by limited economic affordability is completely different to low meat consumption for health consideration. The reason that the Chinese people could consume such a big amount of meat is that feed grain (the grain for animals) accounts for about 35%~40% of China's total grain production. The reason that the Chinese people could still eat as many cereal as Indian is that the cereal production in China is 133% higher than India (557 million tons vs. 239 million tons, data given by BRICS Joint Statistical Yearbook)

Let me make the point more clear to you: if Indian wants to eat as many meat as Chinese, Indian needs to use ALL the cereal to feed the animals!!! See? The reason that the Indian eat that few meat has NOTHING to do with vegetarian habits or health concerns, but a simple fact that Indian people could NOT afford it at all!!

Chinese people consumes far more high nutrition food than Indian people (milk is the only exception, but the gap is much smaller than other types like meat, fish, egg, vegetables, or sugar)

Sugar is high nutrition? Again there is no statistics available for the consumption of various types of lentils, pulses, paneer, millets and various other protein sources prevalent in the Indian diet that are consumed at 0 for chinese. So comparing on western diet food groups only is quite silly.

But if it helps you sleep at night, you are free to believe and troll whatever you want.

Given the scaring gap, it is hard for me to believe that the nutrition condition of India could be called as "satisfactory".

No one gives a crap what is hard or easy for you to believe. Maybe fellow Chinese trolls care about it.

I've been visited India twice and visited Mumbai, Delhi and Chennai. To be frankly, when walking on the streets of the largest Indian cities, the number of the malnutrition people seen is significantly higher than what I could see in China. I would suggest you to make a comparison on your own, if you could get the chance to visit China in future.

Yes all you chinese trolls are such experts on having visited India blah blah blah. I have been to China several times too.....I saw the good and the bad sides of it. Yes China is economically ahead....but there are some significant problems of environmental pollution, rural poverty and personal hygiene issues....just like any other developing country but on a much larger scale for various factors. It is nowhere close to 10 times better or richer than India like some members are claiming here.

Come on! How could you insult Japan in such a silly manner?? You need to respect the following facts: Japanese eats 12x of meat compared to Indian, 9x of fish and 8x of eggs. How could you describe this as "balanced nutrition profile like that found in Japan"? That's the worst insult on Japan that I've ever seen!

Thats why I said we should aim to get to a locally catered diet like what Japanese have. They have not blindly gone for a full copy of the western diet pattern like what Chinese seem to be doing (because they are in love with copying the West 100% ). I am not saying the Indian diet should mimic the Japanese one, I am saying we must follow the concept of following the concept of maximum nutrition, minimum impact. The human body can only use so much protein after which the trade off of production is wasted unless you are a strength trainer or athlete....which are a small minority of people.

Thats why I posted the average kilocalorie intake of India combined with the protein intake per day per person...both of which meet the minimum guidelines by the FAO and are hence deemed satisfactory. Adult Malnutrition is now at 15% (compared to China 10%)...the major focus that remains is under - 5 year old malnutrition....the latest figures of which also show marked improvement there too.

If you still believe that 300 kg consumption of random vegetables by one country is better than 100 kg consumption in another (without any breakdown as to what sorts of vegetables they represent)....then thats also your opinion. Its not a very good or informed one....but hey whatever makes you feel better.

BTW, the worst insult ever is when a Chinese opens his mouth after eating stinky tofu.:sick::wacko:

Remember, low meat consumption resulted by limited economic affordability is completely different to low meat consumption for health consideration. The reason that the Chinese people could consume such a big amount of meat is that feed grain (the grain for animals) accounts for about 35%~40% of China's total grain production. The reason that the Chinese people could still eat as many cereal as Indian is that the cereal production in China is 133% higher than India (557 million tons vs. 239 million tons, data given by BRICS Joint Statistical Yearbook)

Yet we have a cereal production more than 8 times that of Pakistan ...yet they consumed 4 times more meat than us with the same cereal per capita consumption.....yet they consume fewer calories and the same amount of protein in the macronutrient statistics than us.

You have little to no idea about the crop efficiency cycles of various protein rich legumes and pulses grown in the subcontinent....that are not cereals but used as animal feed.

You simply think the western model of using cereals for animal food is the only way....and you expose your ignorance at the same time. Plus you have no idea about the environmental impact and input cost of growing plant based protein compared to animal protein either. Again you think meat is the only protein source for some reason and that it is inherently superior... again blindly seeking justification from western consumption (which is now moving away from that model...yet China feels it should get there anyway no matter the environmental cost).

You really think having 56 g of protein for an average person is very much different to having 80 - 90g of protein daily? Are Chinese people on average 80 - 90 kg? I think not. the extra unused protein gets excreted through your kidneys....and in the long run can cause health issues to the society if they dont follow a balanced diet and iftheir body types are not meant for that kind of overnutritional stress (see the Obesity epidemic in China's children).

Let me make the point more clear to you: if Indian wants to eat as many meat as Chinese, Indian needs to use ALL the cereal to feed the animals!!! See? The reason that the Indian eat that few meat has NOTHING to do with vegetarian habits or health concerns, but a simple fact that Indian people could NOT afford it at all!!

Many don't want to eat as much meat per capita as the Chinese. Many indians forego meat for cultural reasons even if they have the financial means. The health angle is just another justification combined with the environmental one. If people can live healthy lives and get their required nutrition in a different model to the stereotypical western one (like the local Japanese diet that Japan has successfully tailored for to their own requirements and benefit from that)....why do you have a problem with that? Not everyone is going to follow in China's footsteps 100%....as much as that would give you an ego boost. Everyone will decide for themselves what suits them best. Live and let live...trying to say your model is the only model and is superior blah blah with no scientific backing makes you look silly....when the evidence clearly points that protein consumption in India is adequate, kilocalorie consumption is adequate and the BMI of average Indian is well within normal range. The only challenge that remains is proper distribution of the food so that absolutely everyone is covered (a small percentage still are not)....logistics governing this and issues such as health and sanitation.

There is nothing wrong in the inherent Indian diet as long as it is a balanced one like anywhere else in the world. Balanced does not need to include large quantities of meat. That has scientifically been proven.

we prefer soybean milk.

Maybe that explains why you are trolling out of frustration:

Is Soy Milk Bad for Men? | LIVESTRONG.COM

In all seriousness though, just like Chinese use soy as an alternative for milk, there are many protein based crops that are not covered in these statistic websites but are consumed in large quantities by many Indians....which act as effective protein sources.

After all ask yourself why is Indian protein consumption 56 g per person per day when the meat consumption is very low.

You will also notice that meat consumption is very low in Sri Lanka as well and quite low in Indonesia....are you going to tell me they are also very nutritionally poor?

He's a bit strong minded these days. He normally isn't this aggressive.

That's alright. I usually don't mind these kind of threads and certainly opinions of random people over the internet should not bother us. However, we should try to absorb all that is positive, that should be the takeaway from this thread.
Yes, China is a bigger economy and ahead of India in a lot many aspects. We should try to identify our gaps and work towards closing them.

They know what is in store for them in future. Already feeling the heat and hence the Post.

(like the local Japanese diet that Japan has successfully tailored for to their own requirements and benefit from that

the Japanese people eat slightly fewer meat than Chinese ( 48.8kg vs. 59.6 kg), but eat more fish than Chinese (53.7kg vs. 32.8kg). This is something that we could call "balance". But I really don't see anything relevant with balance from the Indian diet.

meat consumption is very low in Sri Lanka as well and quite low in Indonesia

Do you really want to compare India with the two countries? Sri Lanka eats 4.4x of fish compared to India, 1.6x of meat and 1.1 x of eggs; Indonesia eats 4.8x of fish, 3.2x of meat and 1.9x of eggs.

The list I show covers all most all the major food types of human beings: meat, fish ,egg, milk, vegetable, cereal, fruits and sugar/sweets. Yes, it is not an exhaustive list, but I highly doubt if there are any missing food types that could serve as the major energy resource to human.

You simply think the western model of using cereals for animal food is the only way.
Are there any other ways for big amount of animal meats if you don't feed them cereals? feed them another animal? or feed them human flesh?

Plus you have no idea about the environmental impact and input cost of growing
Since Indian people almost eat no meat. Then India must be a country with no environmental issues! Am I right?

If it means that much to you, go ahead. I'm not personally posting anything like that on an internet forum thanks. Or I'm going to blur everything out...and at that point....whats the point.
A good argument to hide the fact that you've never been to China before, although you claimed you did. Good job!

If you still believe that 300 kg consumption of random vegetables by one country is better than 100 kg consumption in another (without any breakdown as to what sorts of vegetables they represent)....then thats also your opinion. Its not a very good or informed one....but hey whatever makes you feel better.

So you mean even if one country only consumes a very very small fraction of vegetable compared to China, it still could absorb more nutrition than China? If yes, there must be a magic vegetable behind! Could you please let me know what it is? Seriously! I will introduce it to China. I could become billionaire with that!!

So you mean even if one country only consumes a very very small fraction of vegetable compared to China, it still could absorb more nutrition than China? If yes, there must be a magic vegetable behind! Could you please let me know what it is? Seriously! I will introduce it to China. I could become billionaire with that!!
PPP-fruit.
In PPP hegemony, a 500g veggie is reckoned as 1.5kg.

As Obesity Rises, Chinese Kids Are Almost as Fat as Americans - China Real Time Report - WSJ

BN-CZ630_obesit_G_20140529052338.jpg

Chinese kids are more obese than their South Korean and Japanese counterparts....even though those countries are way more rich than China. You may soon be approaching US levels even.

Where is your source for this. I could only find the Economist data and this site:

How big per capita food expenditures in your country? - knoema.com

Both which state Chinese food consumption per capita is roughly double that of India in US dollar terms.

For a country where the rate of malnourished children is over 40%, using the childhood obesity rate to argue it has healthier children than those more developed countries is absurd. It is a cold joke! Tell your theory to those Indian families whose parents can not afford to provide two square meals per day to their children, they probably would want to lynch you. Your attempt is both ruthless and cruel.

I think this thread is getting too nasty, the amount of food consumed per person or lack of food should not be used to score points.

In a better world, every person shouuld have enough to eat by limiting meat consumption and increasing plant based diets. This way there is plenty of food for humanity as a whole while drastically limiting environmental impact of producing inneficient foodstuffs like red meat.

I grew up poor as hell and know the difficulty of having less than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom