What's new

How do you Chinese view the rapid development of the past 35 years?

I think that there should be more ethnographic as well as other qualitative research methods could be used to understand the Manchu cultural trait in Japan. Another research methodology that could be used as well could include semiontics, hermeneutics , case study and phenomenology.

Semiotics is a science of non-linguistic communication forms and has been designed as a general science of a number of communication forms including the natural language (Turkcan, 2013). Semiotics, which is used for the analysis of a number of communication languages, helps describe the specific operational rules by determining the sub-systems included in the field it examines. Turkcan (2013) conducted a study that shows how the semiotic approach could be considered as an effective way to diversify the diagnostic techniques used by educators and by parents to give meaning to students’ inner worlds and their viewpoints about the environment and to monitor their mental processes while analyzing the drawings of students.

Hermeneutics is the theory of text interpretation and has been widely seen in use in theology as well as philosophy. The hermeneutic framework integrates the analysis and interpretation of literature and the search for literature. According to hermeneutics understanding is not a linear process, but one that it is informed by earlier understanding (Boell and Cecez-Kecmanovic, 2014).

A mixed ethnographic and case study that was don to explore the cultural relationship between Japan and Manchuria in historical praxis was the study of the Manchu Princess named Aisin Gioro Hsien-yu; 愛新覺羅·顯玗. She took up the Japanese name of Yoshiko Kawashima and was a spy for Japan, and raised an army during the period of Manchukuo. She is just an example of the many high profiling Manchu nobility that eventually settled in Japan, and taking up Japanese identity.

--------------
THis part is removed by Ahuacamolli because he cannot post links
--------------

It is hard to say that 'there are no significant Manchu population in modern Japan', as the grand children or children of Manchurian immigrants to Japan have now taken a Japanese identity as well as Japanese names, however they still retain the cultural imprint.

You know that in Japan there are close to 1 million Japanese of Korean origin, as well as over 600,000 Japanese who are of Chinese origin. I would not be surprised if the Manchukuojin are included in this Chinese immigrant population poll. After all, Manchus are an ethnic group in China.

Btw, are you Manchu? We also have another member here who is ethnic Manchu @sahaliyan .

I'm completely ignorant about semiotics and hermeneutics, and it takes some time to learn them.

As for Yoshiko, you just mentioned one of the few exceptional cases that Manshu people existed in China. Generally Manchus live in China and Manshu people live in Japan. However, there exist a few and only a few Manchu in Japan and Manshu in China.

Again there's no "Manchukuojin"; they were Manshukokujin. We can be friend but only if you stop labeling Manshukoku a Manchu state.

I am not a Manchu but my grandma was a Manchu who once lived in Manshukoku. She learned how to sing the Japanese anthem Kimigayowa. It has also been confirmed from my college classmates who have grandparents lived in Manshukoku that Kimigayo was taught compulsorily in Manshukoku. Most residents in Manshukoku have forget various "Anthems of Manshukoku" but still remember Kimigayo. So imagine how they will feel if you call Manshukoku a Manchu state.

Still I have one of my Manchu friend who was actively learning Manchu (we have free and open-to-all Manchu courses provided in Beijing and the Northeast). He used to speak some, but once he ends his study he forgots almost all. It has been an impressive experience for me to have a trip to the Great Wall yet not quite impressive for him.

To understand the cause of current status of Manchu culture, you can read the following article:

triple double u 。 wsj 。 com \ articles \ SB125452110732160485

This article is basically written in good manner nevertheless one of its claim is not quite accurate:
As the dynasty collapsed toward the end of the 19th century, Chinese migrants flooded in.​
which should be
Shortly before the dynasty collapsed, the Manchu emperors lifted the off-limit and ordered Han Chinese migrants flooded in (in order to prevent Russian insurgency).​

Unfortunately, yes, we've been seeing this recently, and most of the time they are international students from the Middle East. One recent example , was a case in which a Saudi Arabian grad student took it upon himself to destroy Buddhist statues at Sensoji Temple. The statues were over a thousand years old.

Foreigner Arrested For Smashing Statues Of Buddha At Sensoji - japanCRUSH

Thank you very much!

Hmm... it seems I asked it too late so that the one who was guilty has already been found out. Do you have any links to Japanese news which are posted before the Arabian grad student was found guilty? I want to know what was the first reaction of the most common Japanese netizen who read the news: who did they think was the one most likely to have done that?

Unfortunately, yes, we've been seeing this recently, and most of the time they are international students from the Middle East. One recent example , was a case in which a Saudi Arabian grad student took it upon himself to destroy Buddhist statues at Sensoji Temple. The statues were over a thousand years old.

Foreigner Arrested For Smashing Statues Of Buddha At Sensoji - japanCRUSH

Have to say that quite a few Muslim is becoming incresingly extremal recently... They wasn't like that. Someone must have done something.

I'm completely ignorant about semiotics and hermeneutics, and it takes some time to learn them.

As for Yoshiko, you just mentioned one of the few exceptional cases that Manshu people existed in China. Generally Manchus live in China and Manshu people live in Japan. However, there exist a few and only a few Manchu in Japan and Manshu in China.

Again there's no "Manchukuojin"; they were Manshukokujin. We can be friend but only if you stop labeling Manshukoku a Manchu state.

I am not a Manchu but my grandma was a Manchu who once lived in Manshukoku. She learned how to sing the Japanese anthem Kimigayowa. It has also been confirmed from my college classmates who have grandparents lived in Manshukoku that Kimigayo was taught compulsorily in Manshukoku. Most residents in Manshukoku have forget various "Anthems of Manshukoku" but still remember Kimigayo. So imagine how they will feel if you call Manshukoku a Manchu state.

Still I have one of my Manchu friend who was actively learning Manchu (we have free and open-to-all Manchu courses provided in Beijing and the Northeast). He used to speak some, but once he ends his study he forgots almost all. It has been an impressive experience for me to have a trip to the Great Wall yet not quite impressive for him.
To understand the cause of current status of Manchu culture, you can read the following article:

triple double u 。 wsj 。 com \ articles \ SB125452110732160485

This article is basically written in good manner nevertheless one of its claim is not quite accurate:
As the dynasty collapsed toward the end of the 19th century, Chinese migrants flooded in.​
which should be
Shortly before the dynasty collapsed, the Manchu emperors lifted the off-limit and ordered Han Chinese migrants flooded in (in order to prevent Russian insurgency).​

Hi,

The term we are referring to is 滿洲国 -- and I believe the Chinese lexicon for it is 'Manzhuguo', the Japanese form is either 'Manchukuo' or 'Manchukoku'. If you prefer that I use Manchukoku over Manchukuo, then that is fine, I don't mind referring it as Manchukoku. I just want to let you know that Japanese people say 滿洲国 as 'Manchukuo'.

As per the your personal anecdote of your grandmother remembering the lyrics of our Japanese National Anthem "Kimi-Gayo" , this is understandable because form 1930 till 1945, the State of Manchu-koku / 滿洲国 was considered part of the Japanese Empire. In fact, during this time, there were over 5 million Japanese civilians who had settled Manchu-koku , developing the city of Hsingking (later it would be renamed as Changchun), which was the capital of 滿洲国. In fact, the driver of demographic development in Manchukoku were Japanese civilians and Korean civilians who took lessons from developing Korea into mega-proportion. Manchuria was made into a heavily developed region of the Japanese Empire in just less than 15 years.

Let me share some pictures of how Manchukoku was developed heavily:

dalian81.jpg

7454750.jpg

Hsingking Railway terminal

South_Manchuria_Railway_LOC_03283.jpg

Japanese built the Hsingking Railway System, the most advanced in China Mainland at the time

Manchukuo_Hsinking_avenue%20in%20the%20capital,%20Changchun%20renamed%20Hsinking.jpg

Downtown Hsingking, 1935. The capital of Manchukoku

Showa_Steel_Works.JPG

One of the hundreds of industrial plants in Manchukoku, as part of Japanese Empire

Sui-ho_Dam_under_construction.JPG

Sui-Ho Hydroelectric Dam, one of the many major projects built in Manchu-koku under Japanese Empire

Our Chinese Muslim culture is often ignored by the world. Below is the image of Lhasa mosque in 1993 and 2009. It has been destroyed twice in 1959 and 2008:
Entrance_to_old_mosque_in_Lhasa_-_1993.jpg

Mosques_in_Lhasa3.jpg

As can been seen, it looked (I meant the old one; as for the new one... well...) more Tibetan than the mosques in Gilgit-Baltistan:
Chakchan_Masjid.jpg
Chaqchan_mosque_khaplu.jpg

And our Niujie Mosque:
Niujie_Mosques02.jpg

Niujie_mosque_main_prayer_hall.jpg

All images cited here are either CC-by-SA or GFDL images token from Wikipedia.

Our Chinese Muslim culture is often ignored by the world. Below is the image of Lhasa mosque in 1993 and 2009. It has been destroyed twice in 1959 and 2008:
Entrance_to_old_mosque_in_Lhasa_-_1993.jpg

Mosques_in_Lhasa3.jpg

As can been seen, it looked more Tibetan than the mosques in Gilgit-Baltistan:
Chakchan_Masjid.jpg
Chaqchan_mosque_khaplu.jpg

And our Niujie Mosque:
Niujie_Mosques02.jpg

Niujie_mosque_main_prayer_hall.jpg
Old mosques were always designed with strong Chinese characteristics. So were churches in China.
2012, Moxi Town, Western Sichuan
屏幕快照 2015-04-22 17.16.28.png

2011, Xining, Qinghai Province
屏幕快照 2015-04-22 17.17.50.png

屏幕快照 2015-04-22 17.18.02.png

Hi,

The term we are referring to is 滿洲国 -- and I believe the Chinese lexicon for it is 'Manzhuguo', the Japanese form is either 'Manchukuo' or 'Manchukoku'. If you prefer that I use Manchukoku over Manchukuo, then that is fine, I don't mind referring it as Manchukoku. I just want to let you know that Japanese people say 滿洲国 as 'Manchukuo'.

As per the your personal anecdote of your grandmother remembering the lyrics of our Japanese National Anthem "Kimi-Gayo" , this is understandable because form 1930 till 1945, the State of Manchu-koku / 滿洲国 was considered part of the Japanese Empire. In fact, during this time, there were over 5 million Japanese civilians who had settled Manchu-koku , developing the city of Hsingking (later it would be renamed as Changchun), which was the capital of 滿洲国. In fact, the driver of demographic development in Manchukoku were Japanese civilians and Korean civilians who took lessons from developing Korea into mega-proportion. Manchuria was made into a heavily developed region of the Japanese Empire in just less than 15 years.

Let me share some pictures of how Manchukoku was developed heavily:

dalian81.jpg

7454750.jpg

Hsingking Railway terminal

South_Manchuria_Railway_LOC_03283.jpg

Japanese built the Hsingking Railway System, the most advanced in China Mainland at the time

Manchukuo_Hsinking_avenue%20in%20the%20capital,%20Changchun%20renamed%20Hsinking.jpg

Downtown Hsingking, 1935. The capital of Manchukoku

Showa_Steel_Works.JPG

One of the hundreds of industrial plants in Manchukoku, as part of Japanese Empire

Sui-ho_Dam_under_construction.JPG

Sui-Ho Hydroelectric Dam, one of the many major projects built in Manchu-koku under Japanese Empire

It was not Manchukuo but Manshukoku. The Chinese lexicon is not Manzhuguo but Weimanzhouguo. You can call it either Weimanzhouguo or Manshukoku, but don't use the term Manchu.

That's fine, let's agree to this.
That's good. I believe you can get the difference between マンジュ and まんしゅう. The former is written in katakana with Manchu pronunciation :smitten:.

I love the external facade. The fusion of the Chinese architecture with Muslim one.
Yes, the new Lhasa mosque looks great, if it's built somewhere else. I still think the government should recover the Lhasa mosque in its original style and build the new one beside it.

Old mosques were always designed with strong Chinese characteristics. So were churches in China.
View attachment 216877

2011, Xining, Qinghai Province
View attachment 216879
View attachment 216878
Yup, and Pakistan is the only country other than China that have such nationalistic mosque. (In both Gilgit and Baltistan; perhaps Pashtunkhwa also)

View attachment 216877

Wow! You sure that in this ancient Qiangic-Tibetic city we have such a beautiful mosque? What is it called? And why is there a cross on its head?

It's not suprising that in Central and Western Tibet there are mosques, but really a suprise when such happens in Eastern Qiangic-Tibetic area.

Yup, and Pakistan is the only country other than China that have such nationalistic mosque. (In both Gilgit and Baltistan; perhaps Pashtunkhwa also)

Wow! You sure that in this ancient Qiangic-Tibetic city we have such a beautiful mosque? What is it called? And why is there a cross on its head?

It's not suprising that in Central and Western Tibet there are mosques, but really a suprise when such happens in Eastern Qiangic-Tibetic area.
It's not a mosque but a catholic church.

It's not a mosque but a catholic church.
Ahhh... That's it. It looks impressive, but it's better to post churches and mosques separately.

Below is the remain of a traditional Chinese church in Beijing; it was an Assyrian Church of the East:
204189921441592675.jpg

(Proprietary photo under temporary use)

Such an architecture style has been extinct since European missionaries came to China, thus till now the Chinese government still don't like western missionaries and is labelled "anti-Christian" by western missionaries.

Ahhh... That's it. It looks impressive, but it's better to post churches and mosques separately.

Below is the remain of a traditional Chinese church in Beijing (such architecture style has been extinct throughtout the history); it was an Assyrian Church of the East:
204189921441592675.jpg

(Proprietary photo under temporary use)
Nice! A crucifix atop a lotus?

Nice! A crucifix atop a lotus?

Yup.

BTW, let me show my condolence to the passing away of Mar Dinkha IV. (It took me five minutes to Google how to spell "condolence")

Yup.

BTW, let me show my condolence to the passing away of Mar Dinkha IV. (It took me five minutes to Google how to spell "condolence")
This church never come to China again once it leaves. But it idi come to Hong Kong:
Director of Hong Kong based Jingjiao Fellowship Received by Catholicos-Patriarch | Assyrian Church News

Inu baniha ! :-)
If you want to learn more or practise your Manchu, you are welcomed to visit China for a study.

We offer free courses.

my home is in shanxi province,i live in linfen ,it is a little city,but it is very chinese style i live beside the fenhe river,i think it is beautiful
psb

psb

my home is in shanxi province,i live in linfen ,it is a little city,but it is very chinese style i live beside the fenhe river,i think it is beautiful
psb

psb
by the way,it is my photo in 2014,now i am in university in shandong,ifyou want more photo ,please wait until 7th month

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom