What's new

How China builds these, and why India never does

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a "superpower" (i.e. having global power projection) is not something that is needed or wanted.

The goal, as set by the Chinese leadership, is for China to become a "middle-income nation". And our leaders have continuously pledged not to seek regional or global hegemony.

It confuses me, as to why the word "superpower" evokes such positive sentiments from Indians.

Just a jealousy bro! and nothingelse....:coffee:

Foreign investments are welcomed only if they bring real economic benefit. The days of export processing alone is over.

Tianjin eyes more funds to flow into city

Yang Dongliang, executive vice-mayor of Tianjin municipality, told China Daily that the scale of foreign investment to be utilized by the city in 2011 is very likely to be "no less than" last year's, despite the stricter criteria in project selection.

In addition to high energy-consuming and high-polluting projects, low-end processing projects, largely relying on cheap labor costs, are no longer welcomed by the city.
Tianjin well developed in recent years aiming for better and better environment.Nine rivers joined in Tianjin but now water in short supply here.

No skyscraper higher and more beautiful than Himalayas.Indian people should always enjoy their god favored environment and make no unsuitable changing to it.

In India a project has to go through a lot of approvals due to democratic structure and other constraints such as if a Dam is planned and some villager are unhappy about it then they go to strike,and then court and political parties exploit the issue and the project is gone for 5-6 years.

On the other hand China is ruled by a handful of people who take decision(Which might/mighnot be good for local population) and is followed by whole system.

If so, please then enlighten us why Three Gorge Dam project took about 30+ years to finalized. http://www.raco.cat/index.php/HMiC/article/viewFile/57768/67739

Three Gorge Dam is obviously not so good for local (displaced) people, but good for the whole country.

No question that ruled by a handful wise men is better than rambunctious many.

If so, please then enlighten us why Three Gorge Dam project took about 30+ years to finalized. http://www.raco.cat/index.php/HMiC/article/viewFile/57768/67739

Three Gorge Dam is obviously not so good for local (displaced) people, but good for the whole country.

No question that ruled by a handful wise men is better than rambunctious many.

What do you mean, it was GREAT for the displaced. They all got paid multimillion compensations which they used to buy houses in the city which promptly skyrocketed in value. Otherwise, they were dirt poor farmers on a piece of barren land.

The real victims are the urban poor with no land, no skills and no future.

There are many Reasons, let me write down few.
1. Immature Democracy .
2. Corruption .
3. Evil communists. (They oppose all govt project)
4. Insane Activist (Medha Patekar, Roy and many)
5. Leg puller opposition.

India does once in a while, but it doesn't have the expertise China gained all these years.

If India doesn't have a major face change in 20-30+ years, yes kick dirt in our eyes all you want. But things have been changing sense 2000. When ever I do go to my village in Kerala, I do see peoples rising incomes, buying/building bigger houses, A LOT more vehicles on the road. You cant expect India to do magic right now.

And no doubt the South and Western parts of India will be way a head then parts of North and definitely eastern India in terms of Infrastructure.. And this gap will widen between South-West and North-East India.

And I have no problem saying China is a head, so what??

India does once in a while, but it doesn't have the expertise China gained all these years.

If India doesn't have a major face change in 20-30+ years, yes kick dirt in our eyes all you want. But things have been changing seens 2000, when ever I do go to my local village in Kerala. I do see peoples rising incomes, buying/building bigger houses, A LOT more vehicles on the road. You cant expect India to do magic right now.

No doubt the South and Western parts of India will be way a head then parts of North and definitely eastern India in terms of Infrastructure..

20-30 years is a long time. In 1980 China's per capita GDP was 3 times lower than the Congo (not kidding!). In 1990 China's per capita GDP was half that of African dictatorships like Cote D'Ivoire. We were still mostly a nation of farmers. Wuhan was a dump in 1995, with electricity cuts every few days, flooding every summer, the lake by my house polluted with pig sh!t and industrial waste and rampant gang crime. Today its clean, safe and a center for higher education with 30 universities. Shanghai had no subway until 1995! Today there are 2 billion riders per year.

So before you say 20-30 years, think about what can happen in just 15. How much did Mumbai change? Maybe post some pictures of Mumbai before and after. But I will just remind you, that 20-30 years is a very long time, and if nothing changes, it is the tragedy of India.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom