What's new

HISTORY OF MALABAR :DISCUSSIONS.

BJP government is damn right about our current school curriculum and syllabus..
when i was studying,our social study books were full of mughals,nizams,tippu history and their accomplishments,victories and independence struggles(that too mostly revolving around Gandhi,nehru and some congress leaders)...Not much about our original traditional Indian history and patriotic rulers/ kings..

Our history book never mentions about the wars of triple alliance of Kingdoms who beat back Arab invasion of India after the fall of Sindh to Arabs.

Ajit Vadakayil: TIPU SULTAN UNMASKED- CAPT AJIT VADAKAYIL

This is interesting blog on the gold looted by Tipu Sultan from the temples of Calicut.

Whole world wondered about the treasure in vaults of Padmanabha swamy temple.
But only few know that a good share about them are from Malabar .Chieftains ,Hindus and Kings during that time stock all of their golds in ships and send all of them in to Travancore with their womens and childrens .To protect all of them from Tipu's soldiers.
Tipu's father Hyder Ali once captured areas around world famous Guruvayoor Temple .But he received hefty ransom from Hindus for the protection of that temple.

Whole world wondered about the treasure in vaults of Padmanabha swamy temple.
But only few know that a good share about them are from Malabar .Chieftains ,Hindus and Kings during that time stock all of their golds in ships and send all of them in to Travancore with their womens and childrens .To protect all of them from Tipu's soldiers.
Tipu's father Hyder Ali once captured areas around world famous Guruvayoor Temple .But he received hefty ransom from Hindus for the protection of that temple.

I think Vadakayil is more right on this. The gold was taken by Tipu. Just considering that he killed over 4 lakhs Nairs there as also the history provided in the earlier pages in this thread by Kalanirnay and Levina, it is not possible that the women and children were sent over to Travencore during that time.

I think Vadakayil is more right on this. The gold was taken by Tipu. Just considering that he killed over 4 lakhs Nairs there as also the history provided in the earlier pages in this thread by Kalanirnay and Levina, it is not possible that the women and children were sent over to Travencore during that time.

Not all of them .But a significant proportion could find their place in Travancore.
There is a Royal Family in my area .Mavelikkara Royal family .Some sources mentioned they are from Malabar.
Yes they killed 4 lakhs of our people .They targeted our clan specifically because of the huge resistance showed by them.

Tipu also tried to pass into Travancore.But you should know what a happened to them

Battle of the Nedumkotta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please check this link.That was his first attempt.
During second attempt he made some victories but our Periyar betrayed him and British started their attack in Mysore.

M013630.jpg

A drawing about the Mysorean Invasion in to Travancore @Indrani

Last edited:
Ezhava from Ceylon?
That was a new knowledge.
Please explain it.
................ According to Ezhava folk songs, the Ezhava were the progeny of four bachelors that the king of Sri Lanka sent to Kerala at the request
of the Chera king Bhaskara Ravi Varma, in the 1st Century AD. These men were sent,ostensibly, to set up coconut farming in Kerala. Another version of the story says that the Sri Lankan King sent eight martial families to Kerala at the request of a Chera king to quell a civil war that had erupted in Kerala against him

................ According to Ezhava folk songs, the Ezhava were the progeny of four bachelors that the king of Sri Lanka sent to Kerala at the request
of the Chera king Bhaskara Ravi Varma, in the 1st Century AD. These men were sent,ostensibly, to set up coconut farming in Kerala. Another version of the story says that the Sri Lankan King sent eight martial families to Kerala at the request of a Chera king to quell a civil war that had erupted in Kerala against him

I thought they were also from North like Nairs .That was new info.
Can we see it in wikipedia?

@Joe Shearer sir, ^^ you are invited. :)

I am sorry, I am between jobs and also physically in transit. It isn't easy for me to keep up with the usual fora. I will try to respond if I can. Bear with me if I can't.

Bro you have no idea.
Outside of Mysore Tippu Sultan and his father was pure evil.Pure Religious Bigotary.
Nairs in Malabar opposed his invasion and show huge resistance .So he decimated all of us and made slaves that cant hold weapons. .He dont spare innocent christians also.
He further advanced to Travancore .But travancore Nair Army under Dharmaraja gave him huge defeat and bloody nose with minimal loss in Travancore side.
You can check wikipedia

'Battle Of Nedungotta'

Wikipedia is an extremely unreliable resource. DO NOT consult it except for a quick head-up.

I am sorry, I am between jobs and also physically in transit. It isn't easy for me to keep up with the usual fora. I will try to respond if I can. Bear with me if I can't.

'Between jobs' ? :unsure:

Is that a euphemism for 'Mrs.Shearer can't make up her mind whether to use me as a Cook or as a Driver 'cause whereas she is enjoying her retirement I'm Joru-ka-Ghulam' ! :p:

Our history book never mentions about the wars of triple alliance of Kingdoms who beat back Arab invasion of India after the fall of Sindh to Arabs.

I suggest a little more reading up.

There was resistance to the spread of Arabic influence into Rajasthan and Gujarat, but nothing like 'beating back' the Arab invasion, which implies that the invasion was reversed and Sindh reverted to its previous state. Far from that, the original territory conquered by bin Qasim remained as it was, an independent principality for several hundred years.

You might like to look up the history of Multan.

It is true, of course, that the resistance to further spread of Arab influence is muted. Invasions which fail rarely get reported. Invasions that succeed tend to get the attention of historians.

Is that a euphemism for 'Mrs.Shearer can't make up her mind whether to use me as a Cook or as a Driver 'cause whereas she is enjoying her retirement I'm Joru-ka-Ghulam' ! :p:

No, it is not a euphemism.

I'm between jobs. The next job is unlikely to start before end-October.

No, it is not a euphemism.

I'm between jobs. The next job is unlikely to start before end-October.
Such a serious reply Joe Sahib ! :(

Try working on Internet access as bad as the one I'm on at the moment. Enough to make a saint weep.

Such a serious reply Joe Sahib ! :(

So instead of using the 'net, I'm catching up on my reading.

Just finished Mallinson's book on the British Army: rivetting read. Also finished Fergusson on the Curragh incident. That cleared up a lot of misconceptions I've had about the 'mutiny'. Churchill comes out looking more and more of a dangerous character, the more I read about him.

I suggest a little more reading up.

There was resistance to the spread of Arabic influence into Rajasthan and Gujarat, but nothing like 'beating back' the Arab invasion, which implies that the invasion was reversed and Sindh reverted to its previous state. Far from that, the original territory conquered by bin Qasim remained as it was, an independent principality for several hundred years.

You might like to look up the history of Multan.

It is true, of course, that the resistance to further spread of Arab influence is muted. Invasions which fail rarely get reported. Invasions that succeed tend to get the attention of historians.

Yes, I know what you saying it was series of confrontation, but why was the need of not mentioning it from Indian history book when it was a very important since Arabs formed a huge empire from Spain to Sindh, almost no one in India knows why Arabs couldn't move deeper into India after conquering Sindh and as far I remember my history book mentioned in few lines about the resistance they get from France. So, why our generation aren't taught about Bappa Rawal or Nagabhatta.

Yes, I know what you saying it was series of confrontation, but why was the need of not mentioning it from Indian history book when it was a very important since Arabs formed a huge empire from Spain to Sindh, almost no one in India knows why Arabs couldn't move eastwards after conquering Sindh and as far I remember my history book mentioned in few lines about the resistance they get from France. So, why our generation aren't taught about Bappa Rawal or Nagabhatta.

The sort of history you might have consulted might be the reason. Do you know what was going on in India at that time, and between whom? To Indian historians, that other series of towering rivalries far out-shadowed what was happening in an obscure corner of the country. In contrast, in France, when the Mayor of the Palace turned back the Muslims in a famous battle, it was a key battle, absolutely at the core of their national development.

It is possible that your disappointment stems from the fact that an opportunity for showing the Muslims in defeat was missed, even though in the history of that time, it was a minor sideshow compared to the far greater drama being played out. That far greater drama is given ample space in most histories, even general purpose ones covering the history of India from the Indus Valley to the gaining of independence. Historians were not aware of the political need to re-write history to serve the purposes of contemporary electioneering.

You mentioned Bappa Rawal. There is no very good account of his times, except for the poetic exaggerations of his own bards and court poets. It is probable that the Arabs failed to make any impression on the Gurjara-Pratiharas, although the legendary account has it that the Sisodias were responsible for the resistance. Any account of this resistance taking the form of a campaign into Afghanistan is, at best, a romantic fiction.

Last edited:
Just finished Mallinson's book on the British Army: rivetting read. Also finished Fergusson on the Curragh incident. That cleared up a lot of misconceptions I've had about the 'mutiny'. Churchill comes out looking more and more of a dangerous character, the more I read about him.

I dunno the more I read History the more I realize that most of these books are essentially the author's own reading of History laced with references of choice more than anything else.

I'm increasingly inclined to believe that there really isn't such a thing as 'objective history' because there are enough facts out there, about pretty much most things, to present one's thesis howsoever one wishes to present it (within reason of course) & in the instances where there aren't the author's own preconceived notions & biases make it so.

And then most of them go a step further by extracting endless extrapolations from their facts of choice whereby a single referenced point would end up formulating a half a page long Opinion as if there is some continuity between the two in terms of both being empirical evidence as opposed to one being a statement of fact (though not always) & the other being an Opinion formed from it which could either be completely spot-on or completely rubbish.

Then there is the intellectual dishonesty of authors who'd quote one statement that goes in their favor while disparagingly brush aside another that goes against them even if it goes against them - This is exactly what the Jinnah was Secular vs Jinnah was Islamist camp does all the time !

Talked about Religion - Only a trump card, political rhetoric etc.etc.etc.

Talked about Equality - Didn't mean 'equality' equality but rather equality 'equality' i.e no presidency or the prime ministership for the non muslim.

Franky more often than not I'm nauseated when I read these books who preach their own reading of history without an iota of honesty or objectivity about the entire thing.

The more I read them (and I've been reading quite a few this past year) the more I'm convinced that there is some merit to my own view that it was never a Secularism vs Islamism thing in the Quaid's mind....that he never wanted a Secular or an Islamist Pakistan....!

Besides I was reading Z.A Suleri's My Leader which was published in '45 & thats also the impression that I got & the Quaid himself read the book & wrote a letter to the author on how well hes presented the idea of Pakistan & our struggle in that book and ordered a couple of hundred copies of that book to be distributed to the people he wanted it to be distributed & this letter formed the forward of that book !

Should I then brush this aside as just another 'pleasantry' or would the Quaid's own book review & the enthusiasm that went with it makes the book more worthy of merit than a dozen books by a dozen authors on what was Pakistan supposed to be ? What did the Quaid want ? And that whole list of questions !

Back
Top Bottom