What's new

History of Gilgit-Baltistan, AJK and Jammu Kashmir-Updates and Discussions

The People of Gilgit
By: Major brown

To attempt to trace the origin of the numerous tribes of the Gilgit Agency is a difficult task as no records are available. I have never studied their history in detail; I prefer to believe in the old traditional stories handed down from generation to generation as I consider they are much more in keeping with this romantic land.

Experts such as Drew, Biddulph and Schomberg who have really studied the history of the Agency have all disagreed on the origin of the Various tribes; far be it from me to argue with my elders and betters, so any factual statement I make in this chapter is merely my own idea and not the result of any careful study.

The two senior States are of course Hunza and Nagir. The men of Hunza are fine upstanding specimens of manhood. They are fair skinned, well built and of a generally pleasing countenance. They are cheery, friendly and humorous. Active and strong, they can turn their hand to anything whether it be agriculture, arts and crafts, road and water channel engineering, bridge building, cottage industries, or service with officers in Gilgit either in the house or in the stable. They are pleasant companions on trek and wily shikaris. They are first rate on the hillside and their powers of endurance are remarkable; before the Agency was occupied the hotter blood was accustomed to raiding but years of Pax Britannica have reduced the tribe to a peace loving but in no way indolent race.

Across the river lies the neighbouring state of Nagir. The appearance and characteristics of the men of Nagir are vastly different from those of Hunza. They are smaller and darker; their standard of living is lower and they are less enterprising.

This is a hard description and is based on the average Nagiri. There are, however, folk in Nagir who are as fine men as you could wish to meet and I have many good friends there.

The question therefore arises whether the Hunza folk and Nagiris are of the same origin. I personally think they are. But in the old days before the ever moving glaciers dosed it, there was a route from Nagir to Baltistan, and the Baltis were allowed to intermarry with the Nagiris. Later there was intermarriage with Kashmiris and with the, by then, heterogeneous Gilgitis. Such intermarriage was never allowed in Hunza; and this, I think, accounts for the fundamental difference between the two tribes. .

The Hunza people disclaim a common origin with the Nagiris. They claim that they are descended from some of Alexander the Great’s soldiers who settled in Hunza during the campaigns of the famous conqueror.

The story also goes that in olden days two princes of Persia named Abul Faiz and Abul Ghani came to Baltistan. There was a queen reigning there then whose custom was to live with any man she liked and when tired of him she would have him put to death. A similar fate awaited all sons born from such illicit love affairs. However, she fell in love with Abul Faiz but he only consented to return the love on the condition that he became her husband. As the queen was considered divine, a divine sign was required before marriage was possible. So one day Abul Faiz concealed himself on the top of a high rock. The queen fired an arrow in the direction of the rock and announced to the ignorant bystanders that in the area where the arrow fell her future husband would be found. Abul Faiz then appeared and was duly married to the queen. A son was born by the name of Jamshed. One day Jamshed set off on a shooting trip and passed down the Indus through Haramosh to Dhanyor which is on the left bank of the Gilgit river some three miles below the settlement. There he entered into conversation with the locals who informed him that there was a frightful tyrant ruling in Gilgit called Sri Badat. On one occasion Sri Badat went to a woman’s house and demanded food and she fed him with the meat of a kid that had been raised on her own milk. The king enjoyed it so much that ever after he ate nothing but the flesh of young children. Jamshed crossed to Gilgit and by chance met Sri Badat’s daughter. They fell in love with each other at first sight and they conspired to kill the king so that Jamshed could usurp the throne. Only fire could harm Sri Badat so they dug a pit near the castle gate and covered it with leaves. During the night the alarm was raised and the cannibal king rushed out of the gate to investigate. He fell into the pit and was killed by the villagers throwing burning torches on him. Sri Badat was the last Hindu king of Gilgit.

For many years after that an effigy of Sri Badat was publicly burned at the annual festival of Nauroze. The custom however died out but was revived again in 1944 by that great lover of legend and folk lore, Lt -Colonel E H Cobb, OBE, who was Political Agent, and an effigy of the tyrant ruler was burned at Sonekote amidst great excitement.

Azer Jamshecl ruled Hunza and Nagir and later his descendants, and from him the origin of the ruling families is claimed. But this genealogy is more legend than fact and little trust can be placed in it, although there was in actual fact a Hindu ruler called Sri Bädat in Gilgit.

I believe myself that the tribes of Hunza and Nagir came from some faraway place in Central Asia in the olden days and settled in the valleys they inhabit today.

Now let us look at the people of Gilgit Sub-division, Punial, Ishkoman, Kuh Ghizr, and Yasin. I am of the opinion that they are all of one stock and probably came from that strip of country called Indus Kohistan which borders the great river before it debouches on the Peshawar plain. The people of Gilgit Sub-division show traces of intermarriage with Kashmiris, Baltis, and nomadic tribes which earn their living by gold washing. Ishkoman used to be a penal settlement. In the Puniali, the Yasini, and the man of Kuh Ghizr you find a specimen of manhood which can almost vie with the Hunza folk. They are less active as their economic situation is not so serious; but they are tough, good shikaris in the mountains and capable of tremendous endurance.

The Yasini and Kuh Ghizri seem at first sight to be very dull in the head - they blame the intense cold of their country for this - but when shown what to do and how to do it, will persevere until the task is completed. The Punialis are famous as polo players - they have a team of giants.

The two main characteristics of the dress of the folk of the Gilgit Agency are the koi and the choga.

The koi, which is the headgear, consists of a bag of homespun woollen cloth some two feet in length with a round circular bottom. The bag is rolled up tightly round the edges until the padded circle so formed reaches the circular bottom or top as it now is. This cap is the traditional headwear. For festive occasions and for off duty hours a white koi is used in the rim of which is usually stuck a heron’s crest or the head feathers of the beautiful Minal pheasant. This looks very attractive indeed and suitable for these hardy mountaineers. For work, the colour of the koi is brown or grey.

The choga is a long homespun cloak reaching to the ankles with long sleeves. It is usually coloured grey or brown through the ruling classes and richer people possess white ones with beautiful designs embroidered on them by the women folk. The choga is worn over the shoulders and the sleeves hang loose. They are chiefly worn in winter as protection from the bitter winds. Everyone possesses a choga including the children.

The remainder of the dress consists of baggy trousers drawn in round the ankles and a shirt worn outside, both of whatever cloth is available in the bazaar. Striped cloth is a favourite among the Hunzawals and the more enlightened but the average peasant wears something more sombre. There is no rule, however, and it depends on what is available.

In the Gilgit Sub-division the Pathan chapli is mostly worn on the feet. In the States and Districts, however, long soft boots of home cured ibex hide are used; they are called paboos. But for the mountains and rough work and by the poorer people, the taoti is worn. A taouti is a strip of roughly cured goat skin wound round the leg and foot and held in place by a leather lace. It gives a grand grip on the hillside either on rock, shale, or grass.

European dress is much liked by the ruling classes and Officers of the Scouts and they take every opportunity of wearing it. A portly gentleman, with fair skin and possibly red hair, wearing a well cut plus-four suit, correct to a detail, might well be the village squire in England. Or the long lanky sportsman with sharp features, dressed in corduroys and long riding jacket nicely waisted, could take his place without comment among the horse copers at the Dublin Horse Show.

The houses of the peasants and zemindars are low squat buildings of stone and mud. The living quarters are entered through the byre as this keeps out the winter wind and the warmth exuding from the goats, sheep and cows acts as central heating. The living room is usually sunk below the ground level and is lit by a smoke hole in the roof. The open fire is in the middle of the floor and the smoke escapes through the roof. The floor is of dried mud and along one side of the room is a raised dais where the family sits during the day and lie crosswise at night. Adjacent to the living room is the storeroom where grain, dried apricots, and the necessities of life are kept. In Hunza the houses are spotlessly clean - elsewhere they are not so. The Mirs and Rajas have built themselves bungalows in European style with all modern comforts.

Two main meals are eaten in the day. The peasant will normally rise at sunrise and work in the fields till 9 am when he will return for breakfast. This will consist of a vegetable stew cooked in ghi (clarified butter) and chupattis - flat pancakes of bread made from wheat, barley, or maize flour depending on stocks. At midday he will take a light snack of fresh or dried apricots or mulberries, depending on the season, washed down by buttermilk. The evening meal at about 6 pm will be the same as the breakfast. On occasions a sheep or goat will be slaughtered and meat added to the diet though this is not regular. The ruling classes like European food too, and when entertained by British Officers in Gilgit they consume it with relish.

The entire population of the Gilgit Agency is Mohammedan apart from some hundred Sikhs and Hindus who are traders, merchants, and clerks. Three separate sects of Mohammedanism exist in the Agency. Hunza, Punial, and most of Yasin and Kuh Ghizr are Maulai. The Maulais are followers of H.H. The Agha Khan who claims direct descent from Ali who married Fatima, daughter of the Prophet. They care little for Muslim prejudices and are fond of locally produced wine. They unquestionably believe in God but do not indulge in praying, fasting, making pilgrimages, veiling women folk and the other religious observances of Islam. There is no religious fanaticism to contend with and an event of really great significance would be required to occasion a jehad or Holy War. They have as practical an outlook on religion as they have on life. Nagir is entirely Shiah. The Shiass believe that the first three Khalifas or disciples of the Prophet, Abu Bakr, Osman, and Omar, were bogus and recognise only Ali whom the Sunnis believe was the fourth. The best description of the difference between the Shiahs and the Sunnis is that the former might be regarded as High Church Mohammedans and the latter as Low Church. The Shiahs are fanatically religious in Gilgit and obey the lessons of the Holy Qoran to the letter.

The Sunnis are tolerant and liberal minded though devout. There are a few Sunnis in Yàsin, and Kuh Ghizr; Ishkoman is mixed Sunni and Maulai; Chilas is wholly Sunni; there is one Shiah family in Hunza; the Gilgit Sub-division is mixed Shiah and Sunni and this is the only real danger spot on account of religion in an otherwise contented Agency. The rivalry between the Sunnis and Shiahs (or Shi’ites) is extremely serious, especially in the Sub-division and unless the situation is handled very carefully there is always the likelihood of a regrettable breach of the peace. Only under exceptionally significant circumstances would the Sunnis and Shiahs unite in one movement. In the Sub-division a balance of power must always be maintained and the usual modus operandi of trouble makers is to aggravate this rivalry. Such methods never fail and such persons must be crushed with a strong hand.

The languages of the Agency are interesting. Shina is the lingua franca of this area and generally talked. Shina belongs to the Indo-Iranian branch of languages and is akin to Pushto, Hindustanj, and Persian. For a scholar with a knowledge of these three languages Shina easy to master, especially since the vocabulary is necessarily limited.

Khowar, the language of Chitral, is of the same stock and is talked in Yasin and Kuh Ghizr owing to the Chitrali influence in these two districts.

The language of Hunza, Nagir proper, and the upper portion of the Nagir valley, and certain villages in Yasin is Burushaski, which is really akin to no known language in the world. Its vocabulary is entirely its own and it is a very difficult language to attempt to learn. There is simply no information to give on the origin of this language so it must just remain one of the mysteries of Central Asia.

Shina is talked in Punial, Gilgit Sub-division, the lower portion of Nagir, and a dialect of Shina is found in Chilas, varying very little but pronounced more broadly.

Hindustani or Punjabi, as it is called, is understood everywhere and is a sufficient go-between for the unenterprising foreigner. [1]

[1]Chapter 1, The Gilgit Rebellion by Major Brown

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy, @Joe Shearer ,@Kambojaric ,@Tergon18 ,@unleashed ,@hellfire ,@Arsalan ,@Kaptaan ...

Any questions? it's all very familiar description and surprisingly sounds like an account made quite recently.

PS: I am mixture, Half Hunzik, half Ghizri and Gilti blood in me too:disagree::lol:.

Last edited:
The People of Gilgit
By: Major brown

Enjoy, @Joe Shearer ,@Kambojaric ,@Tergon18 ,@unleashed ,@hellfire ,@Arsalan ,@Kaptaan ...

Any questions? it's all very familiar description and surprisingly sounds like an account made quite recently.

PS: I am mixture, Half Hunzik, half Ghizri and Gilti blood in me too:disagree::lol:.

I am happy for you that the author takes a flair with words to assist his physical descriptions of a beautiful country and a handsome people. Having said that, I have issues with Maj. Brown.

When I read it in the original, I was struck unpleasantly by the reek of racism that imbued it (Brown has gone further than he did in this book in other writings, including letters, and those references are downright nauseating). That generation was obsessed by colour and complexion, and this man was no different. There is so much sociological matter scattered in this short exposition, that it would take a learner paper merely to parse it.

The only way I could bring myself to read it was to imagine it to be an account of a markhor shooting expedition, and treat it with the detachment that would demand.

The religious (and sectarian) demographics of the undivided state of Jammu and Kashmir (from the 1941 Census report).

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 69
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
  • image.png
    image.png
    2 MB · Views: 70
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
Religious and ethnic breakdown of the undivided State of Jammu and Kashmir (from the 1941 Census)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    705.8 KB · Views: 81
  • image.png
    image.png
    673 KB · Views: 1,615
  • image.png
    image.png
    619.7 KB · Views: 66
  • image.png
    image.png
    821.1 KB · Views: 69
  • image.png
    image.png
    732.8 KB · Views: 61
  • image.png
    image.png
    811.1 KB · Views: 65
  • image.png
    image.png
    761.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image.png
    image.png
    760.7 KB · Views: 71
All snapshots taken from 1941 Census report

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    858.7 KB · Views: 65
  • image.png
    image.png
    675.1 KB · Views: 63
This cannibal Shri Badat character seems to be interesting. Some western scholars like John Mock seem to allege he was a mythical character. What is the local opinion on Shri Badat @WAJsal ?

This is a piece by Ahmed Hasan Dani on this topic:
According to traditional history,the main ruling dynasty in Gilgit is known as the Trakhans. It is from this dynasty that the rulers of Nager and Hunza derive their origin. Similarly, the rulers of Yasin, Punial and Chitral had close connections with them. It is only the history of Baltistan which had its separate role to play, although that also had links with Gilgit on several occasions. Tradition traces the origin of the Trakhans to an imaginary Kayani prince of Persia, by name Azur Jamshıd, who is said to have fled here after the Arab conquest of Persia and secretly married Nur Bakht Khatun, the daughter of the Buddhist king Srı Badat. A son was born, who was named Kark or Garg. Although Azur Jamshıd is credited with having overthrown Sri Badat and succeeded to his throne, he chose to abdicate sixteen years later, after handing over the throne to his queen, who ruled until her son grew up. The son, Kark, held power for fifty-five years and was succeeded by Rajah Sau Malik.

page 222, THE WESTERN HIMALAYAN STATES by A. H. Dani

Do people in Azad Kashmir self identify as Kashmiris? I mean I know the whole J&K state is basically 5 areas - Jammu(Dogri people), AK(Pothohari? Pahari?), Gilgit-Baltistan, Kashmir and Ladakh. Given there are very few native kashmiris on that side of border, isn't there any movement or atleast some recognition of the fact by natives that it isn't a Kashmir proper region?

Im dogri guy from jammu .bt now live in chandigarh. Kindly Post more info without bringing any politics

The princely state of Jammu & Kashmir, in addition to the Kashmir valley comprised of 4 or 5 ethnical different regions.

· Jammu province: Districts of Jammu, Jasrota (Kathua), Udhampur, Reasi and Mirpur.

· Kashmir province: Districts of Kashmir South (Anantnag), Kashmir North (Baramulla) and Muzaffarabad.

· Frontier districts: Wazarats of Ladakh and Gilgit.

· Internal jagirs: Poonch, Bhaderwah and Chenani.

· Frontier illaqas: Punial, Ishkoman, Yasin, Kuh-Ghizer, Hunza, Nagar, Chilas.

I shall attempt to give the back ground as to how & when these areas because part of the State of Jammu & Kashmir according to my research. Since we have the good fortune of having a few members from the Northern Areas; I would welcome any errors in my facts or the time line.

Jammu.

The Dogra state of Jammu was established by Dhruv Dev during the last years of the Mughal Empire. Raja Gulab Singh, a direct descendant, was 16 years old in 1808, when Ranjit Singh conquered Jammu. Gulab Singh along with his brothers Dhyan Singh and Suchet Singh joined the Sikh army. Gulab Singh soon distinguished himself in battles, and after the conquest of Kishtwar (1821) and the subjugation of Rajpuri; Gulab Singh was made a hereditary Raja of Jammu in 1822.

Ladakh.

The conquest of Kishtwar meant that Ranjeet Singh controlled the two roads which led into Ladakh. Even though their ruler paid tribute to the Kashmir, Ladakh has been an independent kingdom for a very long time. After Ahmed Shah Abdali captured Kashmir, Ladakhi was also subjugated, however after Kashmir’s freedom from Afghan rule, Ladakh became independent again.

Despite the mountains and glaciers barring the way, Dogra troops under General Zorawar Singh conquered the whole of Ladakh in in early 1834 and Ladkah came under the Sikh rule. In 1841, Chinese forces defeated the Sikh army and besieged Leh. After being checked by the Sikh forces, in September 1842, the Chinese and the Sikhs signed a treaty which stipulated no transgressions or interference in the other country's frontiers. The British defeat ofthe Sikhs in 1846 resulted in transfer of sovereignty over Ladakh to the British,

When Kashmir was sold to Gulab Singh of Jammu in 1846. Ladakh was turned over to Gulab Singh as well.

Aksai Chin.

One of the earliest treaties regarding the boundaries in the western sector was signed in 1842. British commissioners attempted to meet with Chinese officials to discuss the border they now shared. The boundaries beyond the extremities of Aksai Chin near Panggong Lake and near the Karakoram Pass were well-defined, but the Aksai Chin area in between lay undefined. This was referred to as Johnson Line.

In 1897 a British military officer, Sir John Ardagh, proposed a boundary line along the crest of the Kun Lun mountains north of the Yarkand River. At the time Britain was concerned at the danger of Russian expansion as China weakened, and Ardagh argued that his line was more defensible. The Ardagh line was effectively a modification of the Johnson line, and became known as the "Johnson-Ardagh Line".

In 1893, a map of the boundary proposed by China to George Macartney, the British Conusul-general at Kashgar. This boundary placed the Lingzi Tang plains, which are south of the Laktsang range, in India, and Aksai Chin proper, which is north of the Laktsang range, in China. Macartney agreed with the proposal and forwarded it to the British Indian government.

The Karakoram Mountains formed a natural boundary, which would set the British borders up to the Indus River watershed while leaving the Tarim River watershed in Chinese control, and Chinese control of this tract would present a further obstacle to Russian advance in Central Asia. Though no official boundary had ever been negotiated, China believed that this had been the accepted boundary. This became the Macartney-MacDonald Line.

In 1908, the British took the Macdonald line to be the boundary, but in 1911, the Xinhai Revolution resulted in the collapse of central power in China, and by the end of WW1, the British officially used the Johnson Line. However they took no steps to establish outposts or assert actual control on the ground. In 1927, the line was adjusted again as the government of British India abandoned the Johnson line in favour of a line along the Karakoram range further south.

Upon independence in 1947, the government of India used the Johnson Line as the basis for its official boundary in the west, which included the Aksai Chin. From the Karakoram Pass, the Indian claim line extends northeast of the Karakoram mountains through the salt flats of the Aksai Chin, to set a boundary at the Kun Lun mountains and incorporating part of the Karakash River and the Yarkand River watersheds. From there, it runs east along the Kunlun mountains, before turning southwest through the Aksai Chin salt flats, through the Karakoram mountains, and then to PanggongLake.

13 October 1962, China and Pakistan began negotiations over the boundary west of the Karakoram Pass. And in 1963, the two countries settled their boundaries largely on the basis of the Macartney-MacDonald Line, which left the Trans Karakoram Tract in China, although the agreement provided for renegotiation in the event of a settlement of the Kashmire dispute. India did not recognise that Pakistan and China have a common border and claimed the tract as part of the domains of the pre-1947 state of Kashmir and Jammu.

Gilgit – Baltistan - Kargil.

Ali Sher Khan, ruler of Skardu in the late 16th and early 17th centuries conquered most of the principalities of Purig and introduced Balti culture in the Kargil district. In 1840, Zorawar Singh invaded Baltistan, captured the Raja of Skardu and annexed his country into the Sikh empire. Baltistan, Purig, Zanskar and present-day Leh district were put under a single administrative unit.

In 1947 Kargil was part of the district of Ladakh, a sparsely populated region with diverse linguistic, ethnic and religious groups, living in isolated valleys separated by some of the world's highest mountains. The Ladakh district had three tehsils (sub-districts), named after the cities of their headquarters: Leh, Skardu and Kargil. The district headquarters shifted between the three locations each year.

On 1 November 1947, a rebellion organized by commander Major William Brown of the Gilgit Scouts, overthrew Ghansara Singh, Administrator of the region on behalf of the Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir

The Kasmir War of1948 ended with a ceasefire line that divided the Ladakh district, putting the Kargil and Leh tehsils on the Indian side and the Skardu tehsil on the Pakistan side.

The two Indian tehsils were soon promoted to districts and Ladakh was named a Division, in the Indian state of Jammu & Kashmir. Pakistan renamed the Skardu tehsil Baltistan and divided it into further districts.

Hunza.

Hunza was an independent Princaplity for centuries. It was ruled by the Mirs of Hunza who took the title of Thum. However, Hunza Mirs acknowledged China as suzerain since 1761.

In 1847 then Mir of Hunza supported China in suppressing a rebellion in Yarkand following which China granted Mir Ghazanfar Khan of Hunza a jabir ( Land Grant) in Yarkand and paid the Mir an annual subsidy. In the late 19th century Hunza became embroiled in the rivalry between Britain and Russia for control of the northern approaches to India.

In 1888 the Russian Captain B. Grombchevsky visited Hunza, and the following year the British Captain F. Youndhusband visited Hunza to express British displeasure.

Younghusband formed a low opinion of the then ruler, Safdar Ali, describing him as "a cur at heart and unworthy of ruling so fine a race as the people of Hunza". In 1891 the British mounted the Hunza-Nagar campaign and gained control of Hunza and the neighbouring valley of Nagar with the last fully independent ruler, Mir Safdar Ali Khan escaping to China.

His younger brother Mir Mohammed Nazim Khan was installed by the British as Mir in September 1892 and Hunza became a princely state in a subsidiary alliance with the British India; a status it retained until 1947. However, when the war erupted between Pakistan and India over their dispute in Kashmir, the Mir of Hunza acceded to Pakistan.

Nagar.

Nagar, founded in the fourteenth century, was an autonomous was a princely state, but had been a vassal of the Maharaja of Jammu & Kashmir since 1868, despite never being directly ruled by Kashmir. The rulers of Nagar were, sending annual tributes to the Kashmir Durbar until 1947.

British had gained control of the Nagar state following the Hunza- Nagar Campaign (1889-1893). In November 1947, Nagar acceded to Pakistan, which became responsible for its external affairs and defense, while Nagar maintained internal self-government.

In 1968, Syed Yahya Shah, the first educated politician of the valley, demanded civil rights from the Mir of Nagar. In 1974, ZA Bhutto forced the Mir of Nagar to abdicate. The area was then merged with the Northern Areas.

Last edited:
Flying over the Himalayas: RAF Flight to Gilgit in November 1934
6a00d8341c464853ef01b7c8dbbfc6970b.jpg

During the 1930s, the RAF conducted a number of flights to Gilgit. These flights served political purposes through projecting British power into this remote region of her Empire, propaganda purposes from the resulting prestige of conducting daring flights of exploration, and allowed the exploration of prospects for civil aviation.

A flight during November 1934 is particularly richly illustrated by a file from the India Office Political and Secret Department records. In addition to a detailed written report, the file also contains forty-five aerial photographic prints.

The outward bound flight, comprising five Hawker Harts, departed from Risalpur at 8:05am on 5 November 1934. The flight flew via Daggar, Kandar, and Patan following the Indus Valley. It arrived at Gilgit at 10:10am. The flight proceeded smoothly, but unfortunately poor visibility limited the use of the camera; only eight exposures were taken.
6a00d8341c464853ef01b8d2661ec8970c.jpg

The aircrew remained at Gilgit for three day camping at the edge of the landing ground. A programme by the local resident which included a chikor shoot, polo, and a display of dancing by men of the Gilgit Scouts kept them entertained. During their stay they undertook demonstration and reconnaissance flights; sadly due to a fuel leak in the photographic aircraft no photographs were taken.

The flight departed Gilgit on 8 November at 10:30am. The fuel leak in the photographic aircraft could not be rectified in time due to the amount of dust at the aerodrome, so only four aircraft made the return flight. Luckily the camera was transferred to another aircraft and a large number of exposures were taken during the return trip.
During the return flight a number of aerial photographs were taken of Gilgit town and the surrounding country.

Gilgit-Fort.jpg

The flight proceeded down the Indus Valley and obtained pictures of a number of very high peaks including Rakaposhi, Haramosh, and Nanga Parbat. The flight then descended, circled over Chilas, then proceeded along the Darel Valley as far as Reshmal [?]. It then returned back along the Indus Valley as far as Shiwai at which point a return course was set for Risalpur.

The flight returned to Risalpur at 1:20pm. The photographic aircraft returned with a relief plane the following day.

The photographs, along with the rest of this file’s content, are available to view free of charge on the Qatar National Library’s online portal.

Robert Astin
Content Specialist, Archivist British Library / Qatar Foundation Partnership

Further reading:
British Library, Coll 5/39 ‘Flights of RAF aeroplanes to Gilgit; flights of foreign aircraft over Gilgit and Chitral’ IOR/L/PS/12/1993
http://pamirtimes.net/2017/07/02/flying-over-the-himalayas-raf-flight-to-gilgit-in-november-1934/
@Joe Shearer

The princely state of Jammu & Kashmir, in addition to the Kashmir valley comprised of 4 or 5 ethnical different regions.

· Jammu province: Districts of Jammu, Jasrota (Kathua), Udhampur, Reasi and Mirpur.

· Kashmir province: Districts of Kashmir South (Anantnag), Kashmir North (Baramulla) and Muzaffarabad.

· Frontier districts: Wazarats of Ladakh and Gilgit.

· Internal jagirs: Poonch, Bhaderwah and Chenani.

· Frontier illaqas: Punial, Ishkoman, Yasin, Kuh-Ghizer, Hunza, Nagar, Chilas.

I shall attempt to give the back ground as to how & when these areas because part of the State of Jammu & Kashmir according to my research. Since we have the good fortune of having a few members from the Northern Areas; I would welcome any errors in my facts or the time line.

Jammu.

The Dogra state of Jammu was established by Dhruv Dev during the last years of the Mughal Empire. Raja Gulab Singh, a direct descendant, was 16 years old in 1808, when Ranjit Singh conquered Jammu. Gulab Singh along with his brothers Dhyan Singh and Suchet Singh joined the Sikh army. Gulab Singh soon distinguished himself in battles, and after the conquest of Kishtwar (1821) and the subjugation of Rajpuri; Gulab Singh was made a hereditary Raja of Jammu in 1822.

Ladakh.

The conquest of Kishtwar meant that Ranjeet Singh controlled the two roads which led into Ladakh. Even though their ruler paid tribute to the Kashmir, Ladakh has been an independent kingdom for a very long time. After Ahmed Shah Abdali captured Kashmir, Ladakhi was also subjugated, however after Kashmir’s freedom from Afghan rule, Ladakh became independent again.

Despite the mountains and glaciers barring the way, Dogra troops under General Zorawar Singh conquered the whole of Ladakh in in early 1834 and Ladkah came under the Sikh rule. In 1841, Chinese forces defeated the Sikh army and besieged Leh. After being checked by the Sikh forces, in September 1842, the Chinese and the Sikhs signed a treaty which stipulated no transgressions or interference in the other country's frontiers. The British defeat ofthe Sikhs in 1846 resulted in transfer of sovereignty over Ladakh to the British,

When Kashmir was sold to Gulab Singh of Jammu in 1846. Ladakh was turned over to Gulab Singh as well.

Aksai Chin.

One of the earliest treaties regarding the boundaries in the western sector was signed in 1842. British commissioners attempted to meet with Chinese officials to discuss the border they now shared. The boundaries beyond the extremities of Aksai Chin near Panggong Lake and near the Karakoram Pass were well-defined, but the Aksai Chin area in between lay undefined. This was referred to as Johnson Line.

In 1897 a British military officer, Sir John Ardagh, proposed a boundary line along the crest of the Kun Lun mountains north of the Yarkand River. At the time Britain was concerned at the danger of Russian expansion as China weakened, and Ardagh argued that his line was more defensible. The Ardagh line was effectively a modification of the Johnson line, and became known as the "Johnson-Ardagh Line".

In 1893, a map of the boundary proposed by China to George Macartney, the British Conusul-general at Kashgar. This boundary placed the Lingzi Tang plains, which are south of the Laktsang range, in India, and Aksai Chin proper, which is north of the Laktsang range, in China. Macartney agreed with the proposal and forwarded it to the British Indian government.

The Karakoram Mountains formed a natural boundary, which would set the British borders up to the Indus River watershed while leaving the Tarim River watershed in Chinese control, and Chinese control of this tract would present a further obstacle to Russian advance in Central Asia. Though no official boundary had ever been negotiated, China believed that this had been the accepted boundary. This became the Macartney-MacDonald Line.

In 1908, the British took the Macdonald line to be the boundary, but in 1911, the Xinhai Revolution resulted in the collapse of central power in China, and by the end of WW1, the British officially used the Johnson Line. However they took no steps to establish outposts or assert actual control on the ground. In 1927, the line was adjusted again as the government of British India abandoned the Johnson line in favour of a line along the Karakoram range further south.

Upon independence in 1947, the government of India used the Johnson Line as the basis for its official boundary in the west, which included the Aksai Chin. From the Karakoram Pass, the Indian claim line extends northeast of the Karakoram mountains through the salt flats of the Aksai Chin, to set a boundary at the Kun Lun mountains and incorporating part of the Karakash River and the Yarkand River watersheds. From there, it runs east along the Kunlun mountains, before turning southwest through the Aksai Chin salt flats, through the Karakoram mountains, and then to PanggongLake.

13 October 1962, China and Pakistan began negotiations over the boundary west of the Karakoram Pass. And in 1963, the two countries settled their boundaries largely on the basis of the Macartney-MacDonald Line, which left the Trans Karakoram Tract in China, although the agreement provided for renegotiation in the event of a settlement of the Kashmire dispute. India did not recognise that Pakistan and China have a common border and claimed the tract as part of the domains of the pre-1947 state of Kashmir and Jammu.

Gilgit – Baltistan - Kargil.

Ali Sher Khan, ruler of Skardu in the late 16th and early 17th centuries conquered most of the principalities of Purig and introduced Balti culture in the Kargil district. In 1840, Zorawar Singh invaded Baltistan, captured the Raja of Skardu and annexed his country into the Sikh empire. Baltistan, Purig, Zanskar and present-day Leh district were put under a single administrative unit.

In 1947 Kargil was part of the district of Ladakh, a sparsely populated region with diverse linguistic, ethnic and religious groups, living in isolated valleys separated by some of the world's highest mountains. The Ladakh district had three tehsils (sub-districts), named after the cities of their headquarters: Leh, Skardu and Kargil. The district headquarters shifted between the three locations each year.

On 1 November 1947, a rebellion organized by commander Major William Brown of the Gilgit Scouts, overthrew Ghansara Singh, Administrator of the region on behalf of the Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir

The Kasmir War of1948 ended with a ceasefire line that divided the Ladakh district, putting the Kargil and Leh tehsils on the Indian side and the Skardu tehsil on the Pakistan side.

The two Indian tehsils were soon promoted to districts and Ladakh was named a Division, in the Indian state of Jammu & Kashmir. Pakistan renamed the Skardu tehsil Baltistan and divided it into further districts.

Hunza.

Hunza was an independent Princaplity for centuries. It was ruled by the Mirs of Hunza who took the title of Thum. However, Hunza Mirs acknowledged China as suzerain since 1761.

In 1847 then Mir of Hunza supported China in suppressing a rebellion in Yarkand following which China granted Mir Ghazanfar Khan of Hunza a jabir ( Land Grant) in Yarkand and paid the Mir an annual subsidy. In the late 19th century Hunza became embroiled in the rivalry between Britain and Russia for control of the northern approaches to India.

In 1888 the Russian Captain B. Grombchevsky visited Hunza, and the following year the British Captain F. Youndhusband visited Hunza to express British displeasure.

Younghusband formed a low opinion of the then ruler, Safdar Ali, describing him as "a cur at heart and unworthy of ruling so fine a race as the people of Hunza". In 1891 the British mounted the Hunza-Nagar campaign and gained control of Hunza and the neighbouring valley of Nagar with the last fully independent ruler, Mir Safdar Ali Khan escaping to China.

His younger brother Mir Mohammed Nazim Khan was installed by the British as Mir in September 1892 and Hunza became a princely state in a subsidiary alliance with the British India; a status it retained until 1947. However, when the war erupted between Pakistan and India over their dispute in Kashmir, the Mir of Hunza acceded to Pakistan.

Nagar.

Nagar, founded in the fourteenth century, was an autonomous was a princely state, but had been a vassal of the Maharaja of Jammu & Kashmir since 1868, despite never being directly ruled by Kashmir. The rulers of Nagar were, sending annual tributes to the Kashmir Durbar until 1947.

British had gained control of the Nagar state following the Hunza- Nagar Campaign (1889-1893). In November 1947, Nagar acceded to Pakistan, which became responsible for its external affairs and defense, while Nagar maintained internal self-government.

In 1968, Syed Yahya Shah, the first educated politician of the valley, demanded civil rights from the Mir of Nagar. In 1974, ZA Bhutto forced the Mir of Nagar to abdicate. The area was then merged with the Northern Areas.

On part of Ladakh conquest i beg to differe what you have written Zorvark singh who was termed as the Neoplan of india had to fight with Budhists and defeated them completely after that during his campains furhter inside the Tibet region he fought near chisul with the Budhist army of Tibet mot china as their was no china at that time Hunza and Blatistan was also par of jis campains me being from the same area have heard many folk lores about Gen. Zoravar Singh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorawar_Singh_Kahluria

Back
Top Bottom