What's new

History lessons.....British Indian Empire.....

Let's also talk about the Dutch presence in Sri Lanka too

This is a most intelligent suggestion, one, however, that does not go far enough.
From that point of view, there is a common element running through the entire history of colonialism.
There are also lessons to be learnt from those who did not go under colonial rule - Japan, China, in spite of being ruled by the Mongols. It is amazing that no others come readily to mind, in Asia or in Africa.

Let me ask a question from all of you aspiring history analysts: why were people from Calcutta known as Ditchers?
don't know... never heard this term...

but when britisher started trading from calcutta they bought 3 villages, satnuti, kolikata and one more to form calcutta and they build fort willam there as there store house.....

First you have go back to 1600 with the founding of the British "East India Company" the company was founded to make trading with the east indies easier and more attractive to merchants. However soon it began primarily focusing on just the Indian subcontinent.

As the years went on the company began occupying land in India and having their own private armies. They would frequently do battle with Mughal empire.

By 1857 there was a rebellion against the company in India due to the fact that paper covers on rifles that had to be bitten off were latexed with products made from pork and beef. Cows are of course sacred animals in India.

The rebellion lasted 2 years and lead to the collapse of the Mughlas. Which prompted the British army occupying the country, the East India Company would be dissolved a few years later. In replacement of the East India Company would be the British military.

Thus the British Raj India began and the start of British occupied India.

[.......victorianweb.org/history/empire/india/index.html']British control of India[......URL] .........
[........victorianweb.org/history/empire/india/before.html"]India before the British[...../url]....

yes... u are correct..Portuguese and dutch came before british ....and obtained their trading rights....

yes I missed dutch. you know the name of dutch/Potrugese/British companies that were trading in the subcontinent?

Also you ever wonder why there were no Indian companies seeking trading rights in Britain, Portugal, or Netherlands?

I also suggest you give your own views on the quoted text. See if they are lacking info or balanced analysis.

p.s. I'll read victorianweb.org/history site time permitting.

Aaahh thats easy ,they entered India following the footsteps of Portuguese (who made their way in through kerala) .....and then the divide and rule policy was used extensively.Rest they say is history.

I wish you had started a thread on great Indian dynasties instead of british empire ,which actually reminds me of our slavery days.

@FaujHistorian welcome back!!! :-)
FYI: @scorpionx
yes u know pretty well....bachpan me khoob padhai ki thi , lagta hai...:lol:
u don't have office tomorrow..why u awake this late...

This is a most intelligent suggestion, one, however, that does not go far enough.
From that point of view, there is a common element running through the entire history of colonialism.
There are also lessons to be learnt from those who did not go under colonial rule - Japan, China, in spite of being ruled by the Mongols. It is amazing that no others come readily to mind, in Asia or in Africa.

European imperialism was driven to find India. The pretext for Christopher Columbus to find a route to the "Indies" was the catalyst that led to the accidental discovery and colonization of North and Southern America.

If we remember , during this time , Europe depended in Ottoman monopoly of spice trade , the European powers were driven to find another route to find India and Cathay (China).

The Spanish conquistadores even called the native peoples of North America as Indians. They referred to them as "Indios" simply because they thought they had reached India.

It was much later when Ferdinand Magellan discovered the Pacific Route , and the Philippines that his successors would finally establish link to the much desired and sought after Cathay and the Indies.

East India company Intro...

The East India Company (EIC), originally chartered as the Governor and Company of Merchants of London trading into theEast Indies, and more properly called the Honourable East India Company, was an English, and later (from 1707)[1] British joint-stock company,[2] formed to pursue trade with the East Indies but that ended up trading mainly with the Indian subcontinent, Qing Dynasty China, North-West Frontier Province and Balochistan. The company rose to account for half of the world's trade, particularly trade in basic commodities that included cotton, silk, indigo dye, salt, saltpetre, tea and opium. The company also ruled the beginnings of the British Empire in India.[3]

The company received a Royal Charter from Queen Elizabeth in 1600,[4] making it the oldest among several similarly formed European East India Companies. Wealthy merchants and aristocrats owned the Company's shares.[5] The government owned no shares and had only indirect control. The company eventually came to rule large areas of India with its own private armies, exercising military power and assuming administrative functions.[6] Company rule in India effectively began in 1757 after the Battle of Plasseyand lasted until 1858 when, following the Indian Rebellion of 1857, the Government of India Act 1858 led to the British Crown to assume direct control of India in the new British Raj.

The company was dissolved in 1874 as a result of the East India Stock Dividend Redemption Act passed one year earlier, as the Government of India Act had by then rendered it vestigial, powerless, and obsolete. The official government machinery of British Indiahad assumed its governmental functions and absorbed its presidency armies.

yes u know pretty well....bachpan me khoob padhai ki thi , lagta hai...:lol:
u don't have office tomorrow..why u awake this late...

Slept at the wrong time ....woke up at the wrong time. And tomorrow my mind will be foggy.
Oh lord!!

Frankly I wanted to stay away from this thread the moment i read the word "British" but the habit of yapping forced me to make my post.

Ciao!

you know why BEIC was dissolved by British gov?
Even in India, the company’s trading monopoly was abolished in 1813, and by the 1850s it was little more than a managing agency for the British government’s administration of India. After the Indian mutiny in 1857, for which the company was held partly to blame, it was liquidated and its assets transferred to the crown on 2 August 1858.

Aaahh thats easy ,they entered India following the footsteps of Portuguese (who made their way in through kerala) .....and then the divide and rule policy was used extensively.Rest they say is history.

I wish you had started a thread on great Indian dynasties instead of british empire ,which actually reminds me of our slavery days.

@FaujHistorian welcome back!!! :-)
FYI: @scorpionx

Thanks Levina.

Are you your sure Portugese started from Kerala?

I always thought they started from Goa.
I believe Goa still has two "farms" that were established by Portugese.

It was fascinating to learn the type of farms they setup.

First you have go back to 1600 with the founding of the British "East India Company" the company was founded to make trading with the east indies easier and more attractive to merchants. However soon it began primarily focusing on just the Indian subcontinent.

As the years went on the company began occupying land in India and having their own private armies. They would frequently do battle with Mughal empire.

By 1857 there was a rebellion against the company in India due to the fact that paper covers on rifles that had to be bitten off were latexed with products made from pork and beef. Cows are of course sacred animals in India.

The rebellion lasted 2 years and lead to the collapse of the Mughlas. Which prompted the British army occupying the country, the East India Company would be dissolved a few years later. In replacement of the East India Company would be the British military.

Thus the British Raj India began and the start of British occupied India.

There was in fact neither beef nor pork on the ammunition.

Second, these were not paper coverings on rifles, but on bullets, the cartridges containing gunpowder.

The replacement of the East India Company was not the British military.

yes I missed dutch. you know the name of dutch/Potrugese/British companies that were trading in the subcontinent?

Also you ever wonder why there were no Indian companies seeking trading rights in Britain, Portugal, or Netherlands?

I also suggest you give your own views on the quoted text. See if they are lacking info or balanced analysis.

p.s. I'll read victorianweb.org/history site time permitting.
nope never wondered of any dutch and Portuguese company in india.....

hmm... there were no indian companies because we were self sufficient in most of the things...and moreover we didn't have that great naval armada at mogoul rule.. and then we mostly have cottage and small industries ...our people never thought of trading in thisway.....

European imperialism was driven to find India. The pretext for Christopher Columbus to find a route to the "Indies" was the catalyst that led to the accidental discovery and colonization of North and Southern America.

If we remember , during this time , Europe depended in Ottoman monopoly of spice trade , the European powers were driven to find another route to find India and Cathay (China).

The Spanish conquistadores even called the native peoples of North America as Indians. They referred to them as "Indios" simply because they thought they had reached India.

It was much later when Ferdinand Magellan discovered the Pacific Route , and the Philippines that his successors would finally establish link to the much desired and sought after Cathay and the Indies.

good post.

By the way Europeans knew the Eastwards sea rout to India and far east.

Back then for simplicity, the whole region beyond Middle East all the way to China was called "India".

Back
Top Bottom