What's new

Hilsa is back on dining table of common man

@Cherokee and @hinduguy and @Roybot

If you want the taste of Hilsa minus the bones with the same cooking pattern then I have some other alternative fish for you. It is knows in Odia as "Khainga" (Zoological name is "Mullet sp."). It has got only one bone in the middle, but tastes some what less than but nearer to hilsa when prepared like that of hilsa. But tastes great when eaten fried with :
Whisky_rocks_2203620.jpg

Whisky on the rocks ka potu kyon lagaye ho machli ke disussion me?:unsure:

Pomfret and Snappers are better tasty than Hilsa.I guess those are more expensive and not much available.

But the best Hilsas are those caught in sweet water or inland river. Once they go back to sea they taste horrible.

Whisky on the rocks ka potu kyon lagaye ho machli ke disussion me?:unsure:

Try grilled Snapper with whisky ... ? ;)

Is Hilsa is the same as Rohu fish we get in Mumbai and Karnataka?

No. As it breeds in river, but grows in sea. Basically the fisher men catch these when these fish try to come back to river to lay eggs. The fish has good omega-3 acid, good for heart.

lol..no no. rohu/ katla are strong fishes..strong fibrous texture...good stong scale formation...hilsa is a delicate fish..softer creamier flesh, very tasty stuff if u r into it..

otoh, they are catching hilsas early this year...i found so much eggs..less hilsa later..

halupridol, i have no idea about prices though..

Oh okay. We make fish only on Wednesdays in my house. That is how I keep track of days of the week. LOL. Mostly, we make surmai, halva, pomfrets, bangda, tarli, rohu, and rani. Usually 2 of those kind on Wednesday, one for fry and another for curry.

But the best Hilsas are those caught in sweet water or inland river. Once they go back to sea they taste horrible.

Try grilled Snapper with vodka:agree: ... ? ;)
for once,we agree on something...

Oh okay. We make fish only on Wednesdays in my house. That is how I keep track of days of the week. LOL. Mostly, we make surmai, halva, pomfrets, bangda, tarli, rohu, and rani. Usually 2 of those kind on Wednesday, one for fry and another for curry.

Same here. Wednesday and Sunday kafi bhid rahata hai fish bazar mein. But aaj thoda sasta tha isiliye aaj bana diya!!

:undecided:rohu n hilsa seriously

Hell, I don't know if I have seen a Hilsa. Mom tends to buy the tender fishes, so do not know why she has never cooked it. Perhaps it is not available here in the market.

try hilsa..it will be ice packed and expensive..but nevertheless...hilsa is a different taste altogether.

on topic, pamphrets are ordinary testing, its like a custom made ripe rohu..it's just easier to eat..is all..what are snappers called in bengali ?

Back
Top Bottom