What's new

Hilsa is back on dining table of common man

my mom makes it when i go home. i hate that hilsa fat smell. i am more of a kerala style beef fry and goan pork vindaloo man.

but then, i have always been that way. other people in family eat fish everyday.

in fact lunch today is hilsa mustard and rice. i don't feel like eating...lol..

Not a fishie. Have a low tolerance towards their odour. Have tried a few fish-based dishes though.

With yield being abundant, Hilsa is back in the kitchen bringing joy for both fishermen and fish lovers in Odisha.

Last week, one KG of Hilsa was being sold as high as Rs 800-1000 range in Paradip and adjoining marketplaces. But the prices have nosedived for the past two days following enhanced catch. The price has come down to common buyers' affordable range of Rs 200-300 a KG.

"It's good news for fishermen communities. The return from seasonal Hilsa fish is a bonus for them. Since past three years, hilsa catch was on a lower side. Those living on fishing wait for the hilsa season to earn the extra sum. But they were not able to reap additional benefits following low yield. We are hopeful of fishermen compensating the deficit of past years," said District Fisheries Officer of Kendrapara, Gyan Ranjan Samal.

"The yield was negligible last week. But it has picked up since the past three days. Earning from fishing has also multiplied consequent with increase in catch. We had skipped fishing for a day due to bad weather. Now, we are going to resume hilsa fishing," said a traditional marine fisherman, Ranjit Majumdar.

"There was 45-day-long fishing ban from April 15 till May 31 in view of breeding season. Though the fishing activity restarted from June, operation has been interrupted on several occasions thereafter due to frequent formation of low pressure. The fishermen communities were lying low. Greater yield from Hilsa would be able to do away with the lean phase," said Kendrapara District Wing President, Orissa State Traditional Marine Fish-workers' Union, Tushar Sardar.

"Hilsa is now being sold at Rs 200-300 a kg range depending on its size. The price is expected to stay on the lower side in the coming days. Now it is within the affordable range of middle and lower middle class buyers" Paradip-based Hilsa trader, Ranjit Kumar Behera said.

"We savour hilsa curry. Drop in price has given us the opportunity to buy hilsa," said a local Himanshu Sekhar Dash.

Hilsa is a sensitive fish species. And its breeding ground is mostly concentrated in the confluence of river and oceanic waters. After being bred in fresh water, the fish makes its way to seawater again by undertaking a return journey to confluence points.

Hilsa is back on dining table of common man | Business Standard News

@jaunty @scorpionx @DRAY @Dem!god @Sidak @Indischer @Indrani @wolfschanzze @levina @BDforever @desert warrior @Dash @Robinhood Pandey and other Hilsa fish lovers from India and Bangladesh. This rate will continue for a short period and if possible buy a lot, cut it and keep it in deep freezer and eat to your content. BTW if anybody is not a Hilsa lover from the above mentioned, then sorry. Please inform other members who are Hilsa lovers.

@Skull and Bones, Tum udhar baith ke research karo, Hum idhar Hilsa aahar karte hain.....:yay:

Please also make pomphret this much cheap. :cry::cry::cry:

Not a fishie. Have a low tolerance towards their odour. Have tried a few fish-based dishes though.

I believe you are from Karnataka. :sarcastic:

my mom makes it when i go home. i hate that hilsa fat smell. i am more of a kerala style beef fry and goan pork vindaloo man.

but then, i have always been that way. other people in family eat fish everyday.

in fact lunch today is hilsa mustard and rice. i don't feel like eating...lol..
i hated fish too when i was at home,,,but now that I'm away,i miss it,,,,last time i tasted hilsa was in January,,,rs.2000/kilo

With yield being abundant, Hilsa is back in the kitchen bringing joy for both fishermen and fish lovers in Odisha.

Last week, one KG of Hilsa was being sold as high as Rs 800-1000 range in Paradip and adjoining marketplaces. But the prices have nosedived for the past two days following enhanced catch. The price has come down to common buyers' affordable range of Rs 200-300 a KG.

"It's good news for fishermen communities. The return from seasonal Hilsa fish is a bonus for them. Since past three years, hilsa catch was on a lower side. Those living on fishing wait for the hilsa season to earn the extra sum. But they were not able to reap additional benefits following low yield. We are hopeful of fishermen compensating the deficit of past years," said District Fisheries Officer of Kendrapara, Gyan Ranjan Samal.

"The yield was negligible last week. But it has picked up since the past three days. Earning from fishing has also multiplied consequent with increase in catch. We had skipped fishing for a day due to bad weather. Now, we are going to resume hilsa fishing," said a traditional marine fisherman, Ranjit Majumdar.

"There was 45-day-long fishing ban from April 15 till May 31 in view of breeding season. Though the fishing activity restarted from June, operation has been interrupted on several occasions thereafter due to frequent formation of low pressure. The fishermen communities were lying low. Greater yield from Hilsa would be able to do away with the lean phase," said Kendrapara District Wing President, Orissa State Traditional Marine Fish-workers' Union, Tushar Sardar.

"Hilsa is now being sold at Rs 200-300 a kg range depending on its size. The price is expected to stay on the lower side in the coming days. Now it is within the affordable range of middle and lower middle class buyers" Paradip-based Hilsa trader, Ranjit Kumar Behera said.

"We savour hilsa curry. Drop in price has given us the opportunity to buy hilsa," said a local Himanshu Sekhar Dash.

Hilsa is a sensitive fish species. And its breeding ground is mostly concentrated in the confluence of river and oceanic waters. After being bred in fresh water, the fish makes its way to seawater again by undertaking a return journey to confluence points.

Hilsa is back on dining table of common man | Business Standard News

@jaunty @scorpionx @DRAY @Dem!god @Sidak @Indischer @Indrani @wolfschanzze @levina @BDforever @desert warrior @Dash @Robinhood Pandey and other Hilsa fish lovers from India and Bangladesh. This rate will continue for a short period and if possible buy a lot, cut it and keep it in deep freezer and eat to your content. BTW if anybody is not a Hilsa lover from the above mentioned, then sorry. Please inform other members who are Hilsa lovers.

@Skull and Bones, Tum udhar baith ke research karo, Hum idhar Hilsa aahar karte hain.....:yay:

Is Hilsa is the same as Rohu fish we get in Mumbai and Karnataka?

Karnataka ke coastal areas me jo log hain, woh bangaliyon se bhi bade machli-khor hain.:agree:

Every sea fish is very expensive these days, pomphret, king mackerel, shrimp etc. daam dekh ke hi kharidne ka man nahi karta, bas Rohu-Catla se hi kaam chalana padta hai. :cry::cry::cry:

@Cherokee and @hinduguy and @Roybot

If you want the taste of Hilsa minus the bones with the same cooking pattern then I have some other alternative fish for you. It is knows in Odia as "Khainga" (Zoological name is "Mullet sp."). It has got only one bone in the middle, but tastes some what less than but nearer to hilsa when prepared like that of hilsa. But tastes great when eaten fried with :
Whisky_rocks_2203620.jpg

Every sea fish is very expensive these days, pomphret, king mackerel, shrimp etc. daam dekh ke hi kharidne ka man nahi karta, bas Rohu-Catla se hi kaam chalana padta hai. :cry::cry::cry:

Accha hua ki mujhe seafood ki aadat nahi padi. Warna kab ka kangaal ho jaata. :sarcastic:

Is Hilsa is the same as Rohu fish we get in Mumbai and Karnataka?

lol..no no. rohu/ katla are strong fishes..strong fibrous texture...good stong scale formation...hilsa is a delicate fish..softer creamier flesh, very tasty stuff if u r into it..

otoh, they are catching hilsas early this year...i found so much eggs..less hilsa later..

halupridol, i have no idea about prices though..

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom