What's new

High cost of Indian Mirage 2000 fighter upgrade causing a rethink

New radar RBY2 and i think there is no upgrade powerful engine avilable for mirage as even mirage 5k2 using the same and this might be reason for AESA non availability.

...While officially, “negotiations are still going on”, according India’s senior foreign ministry officials, the reason for the delay seems to be that the high cost of upgrading the fighters is causing a rethink, informed sources told defenseworld.net....

...The cost of upgrading the 51 fighters is working out to an average of Euro 45 million per piece which is well over the price of acquiring a new generation fighter such as the Rafale or F-16 which is around Euro 30million-35 million.

Reading these few sentences alone, was enough to understand how reliable this article is!
The author even confirms that GoI officially says, the deal is under negotiation and then puts his complete claim only on basis of "informed sources". More interstingly is, that all figures he stated of M2K, Rafale and F16 are wrong and in Euro, instead of Dollar, while he gave the correct figure for Mig upgrade even in Dollars!

Lets put it straight :

- according to officials the deal is under negotiations and could be fixed, or even signed during the visit of president Sarkozy

- Mirage upgrade by all former reports, is said to cost €1.5 billion Euro, or around $2 billon Dollar, which means around €30 million Euro, or $40 million Dollar each

- Rafale and F16 costs more than €30 - 35 million Euros

But it's funny to see all the pro EF articles when British defmin was in India and now when French president comes, all the Dassault bashing articles are coming too. :coffee:

P.S. Rockstar and I talked about this upgrade in the IAF discussion thread recently too and this is how our M2K-5 could look like:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/1307004-post1041.html

Last edited:
The deal will France over Mirage 2000 upgrade will have impct on Rafale's pitch for MRCA, mostly from a cost point of view. Lets see how this turns out.

thank GOd we didnt chose french avionics for JF-17..JF-17 upgrade cost per aircraft was 32 million(50 aircrfat for 1.6bn)

BEst option is this replace them with Rafale and get EF or f-18 by MRCA

India used mirrage upgrade bait to cancel JFT avionics deal.

Even on this forum they openly insulted French by attributing them to greedy state.

By messing JFT deal French had already lost too much in shape of loosing UAE and reputation as a boneless and greedy supplier and at the end turned up as ultimate loosers.

thank GOd we didnt chose french avionics for JF-17..JF-17 upgrade cost per aircraft was 32 million(50 aircrfat for 1.6bn)

BEst option is this replace them with Rafale and get EF or f-18 by MRCA

No mate....IAF has been using Mirages from decades now....It takes years to fully understand a new platform and use the machine to its full potential. Also, Please don't forget the cost of adding ground supports for new platform. Mirages are excellent fighters and after upgrades they will be match for anything that our adversary can throw at us....Considering all this i believe we should convince France to reduce the cost...IMHO That will be our best deal

@batman, you are right..

I think Sarcozy will announce a major reduction in the price when he will be in Delhi.

No mate....IAF has been using Mirages from decades now....It takes years to fully understand a new platform and use the machine to its full potential. Also, Please don't forget the cost of adding ground supports for new platform. Mirages are excellent fighters and after upgrades they will be match for anything that our adversary can throw at us....Considering all this i believe we should convince France to reduce the cost...IMHO That will be our best deal

I heard somewhere that IAF spends Rs-11 Crore (110 million)on an IAF pilot for training etc.

Last edited:
Cost of the training of pilots + other related costs is higher in IAF and if we go for a new fighter, you need again training on that.

Back
Top Bottom