What's new

Hello, from America

No worries my family are very traditionalist Ukrainians/Russians & Poles so I know how you may feel. Many of my friends experienced same things as you, I myself am guilty of doing it to others lol
Don,t feel guilty my freind. A culture is not just a culture it is infact a different mindset and mentality.The culture we grew up in molds us in it,s own way.
By the way our pakistani culture has a lot of drawbacks but it,s really easy fore foreigners to adjust here .They feel welcomed and the hospitality,generosity they get makes them feel at home.

Welcome & good luck with your education. I myself am not a frequent poster here but welcome anyways :-)

Welcome from another fellow American.

Hope your participation here is enjoyable, and May the force be with you.

Welcome from another fellow American.

Hope your participation here is enjoyable, and May the force be with you.

I see another fan of DC and Star Wars. I'm a very minor fan of the former, but a huge fan of the latter :D

I see another fan of DC and Star Wars. I'm a very minor fan of the former, but a huge fan of the latter :D

I'm kind of the opposite. I'm a much bigger DC fan, but do enjoy Star Wars.

The Transportation Security Adminstration is a crappy agency that hires crappy agents at US airports waste your time and a lot of US Airports were built in the 1960s so yuck old

Jesus Christ learn to write and speak English first before you criticize.

Modern day russians
I was in New York recently and I struggled to differantiate Americans and at times it felt like I was in Nigeria so I can understand why Russians would find it difficult to tell apart Paks/Indians. One minute it was like I was in Nigeria, then Nicaragua, then Italy and at times London/Berlin.

I was in New York recently and I struggled to differantiate Americans and at times it felt like I was in Nigeria so I can understand why Russians would find it difficult to tell apart Paks/Indians. One minute it was like I was in Nigeria, then Nicaragua, then Italy and at times London/Berlin.
How was your overall experience?

How was your overall experience?
Disappointing. Won't being going again.

Ps. Stick to Europe, Mediteranean, Pakistan and Far East.

Our cards [American Airlines] were stamped SSS which is some code for giving the subject a proper grilling at arrival by TSA agents. Females were spared but all males got the 'grill'. It was blatently obvious that our names had attracted the 'SSS'. It was classic racial profiling. One of us who looks more Italian then Pakistan was grilled for over 40 minutes - presumably because he has beard and wears shalwar Kameez. It was quite obvious the agents were following protocals that had been designed by some oaf who was more driven by looking to be doing then actually improving security. I mean the questions they asked were dumb. The only way you could 'trip' is if you had IQ of a cretin.

I suspect this is cause of more resentmemt then actually improbing security. But it set a bad tone to the whole visit.

Disappointing. Won't being going again.

Ps. Stick to Europe, Mediteranean, Pakistan and Far East.

Our cards [American Airlines] were stamped SSS which is some code for giving the subject a proper grilling at arrival by TSA agents. Females were spared but all males got the 'grill'. It was blatently obvious that our names had attracted the 'SSS'. It was classic racial profiling. One of us who looks more Italian then Pakistan was grilled for over 40 minutes - presumably because he has beard and wears shalwar Kameez. It was quite obvious the agents were following protocals that had been designed by some oaf who was more driven by looking to be doing then actually improving security. I mean the questions they asked were dumb. The only way you could 'trip' is if you had IQ of a cretin.

I suspect this is cause of more resentmemt then actually improbing security. But it set a bad tone to the whole visit.

The rating is in part determined by information provided to TSA by Her Majesty's agencies for her citizens. At least least rejoice you did not get the 4S treatment. :D

But that is what NYC is all about - pockets of regional cultures from all over the world. The real Americana exits outside the city in abundance if only you ventured further.

The rating is in part determined by information provided to TSA by Her Majesty's agencies for her citizens.
I doubt that. We are frequent travellers ans never have we got this sort of attention in Europe, Far East or on way back. If it was HM that 'marked' us we would get the 'grill' frequently.

But that is what NYC is all about - pockets of regional cultures from all over the world. The real Americana exits outside the city in abundance if only you ventured further.
Not really. What would be beyond New York or the 'real Americana' as you put it? More migrant cultures? American Germans in Ohio, American Irish in Boston, etc etc etc. The only real 'Americana' would be found in the native reservations. All rest of USA is as you know "pockets of evolved regional cultures'.

I doubt that. We are frequent travellers ans never have we got this sort of attention in Europe, Far East or on way back. If it was HM that 'marked' us we would get the 'grill' frequently.

But then any of the other countries you have visited are probably not as much of a target of your ire than the good ol' US of A, are they? Your profile must contain actionable data to justify the type of scrutiny you underwent as determined by a central agency and not up to the local TSA agents.

Not really. What would be beyond New York or the 'real Americana' as you put it? More migrant cultures? American Germans in Ohio, American Irish in Boston, etc etc etc. The only real 'Americana' would be found in the native reservations. All rest of USA is as you know "pockets of evolved regional cultures'.

Just the great melting pot at work, some areas more molten and homogeneous than others with the passage of time. All together they comprise Americana with something for just about everyone, if one knows where to go.

I'm kind of the opposite. I'm a much bigger DC fan, but do enjoy Star Wars.
I was like you as a kid, except Star Wars was my second favorite franchise after DC. Now Star Wars is at the top (ignoring the "sequels") and DC is waaay below. Even Marvel is very much enjoyable to me by comparison. My second favorite franchise is probably Resident Evil. But all this is a different topic.

Back
Top Bottom