What's new

Hello, from America

Was it President Eisonhower who warned about the 'industrial-military complex'. I think what he warned about has happened. US foreign policy unfortuantely hurts lot of people and actually make enemies for America for no reason. But be that as it may I can't fault the average American. I will be be making my [first] visit to your country [holiday] mid Decemeber [New York] so that should be interesting. I feel I know America like back of my hand from all the American movies and TV I have watched over the years. So now I am gonna get to see for real face of America. Should be interesting.

Supp you are welcome to come by my hometown of Queens,NY aka the prefecture of the Peoples Republic of China aka Flushing,Queens where I live lol

Welcome to PDF btw I live NYC but I have family living all over the midwest and the South too

flushing-VoNY-MOTAL-3.jpg
chinatown queens.jpg

I live not far from this @Indus Pakistan will you be staying in the city(Manhattan) or Queens

Was it President Eisonhower who warned about the 'industrial-military complex'. I think what he warned about has happened. US foreign policy unfortuantely hurts lot of people and actually make enemies for America for no reason. But be that as it may I can't fault the average American. I will be be making my [first] visit to your country [holiday] mid Decemeber [New York] so that should be interesting. I feel I know America like back of my hand from all the American movies and TV I have watched over the years. So now I am gonna get to see for real face of America. Should be interesting.
It was Eisenhower indeed,
Here's an excerpt:

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist."

In his remarks, Eisenhower also explained how the situation had developed:

"Until the latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments industry. American makers of ploughshares could, with time and as required, make swords as well. But we can no longer risk emergency improvisation of national defense; we have been compelled to create a permanent armaments industry of vast proportions."

From the article itself it states;

In an effort to control the expansion of the military-industrial complex, Eisenhower consistently sought to cut the Pentagon's budget.

The former general wanted a budget the country could afford, Bowman says. He upset all the military services with his budget cuts, especially the Air Force.

Citing another quote from Eisenhower -- this one from another speech on military spending -- Bowman says, "The jet plane that roars overhead costs three quarters of a million dollars. That’s more than a man will make in his lifetime. What world can afford this kind of thing for long?"

I think he made many good points, the Cold War and fall of the European Anglo & Francois Empires meant there was a massive power vacuum in the West to be filled which America took. Creating NATO and the current situation in opposition to Russia. Some could say the Cold War never really ended but simply changed faces. It's a big topic, I think America started to really begin shifting it's policies with essentially only allowance of two parties who are practically the same outside of social policies. It's partisan politics that don't actually do much. I hope one day our government can become more diverse without just 2 major parties who just bicker with nothing being done at home while we die overseas trying to maintain a modern geopolitical empire.

I think you'll be shock concerning your visit however. America is a lot different from how movies and such portray us, maybe some parts are like that but it's a massive country so it's very different throughout. I've visited NYC once myself, the people can be a little rude there because it's a major city and because it was host to 9/11, some there are still cautious about people who look Middle Eastern or Central Asian, even Hindu Indians. Although I know there are Muslim and Indian communities in NYC so maybe looking into one of those areas you'll feel more at home. Just be careful of not travelling to a poorer area as many gangs around there will target or try to exploit a foreigner. For the most part though if you just use common sense you should be perfectly okay!

I also recommend, if you don't like NYC travelling to Los Angeles or a Miami/Orlando in Florida or California. Both are more open and welcoming of people as a whole as they're more liberal. Although you should be fine, the younger generation for the most part are very welcoming and friendly to people!

As a rule of thumb I always keep in mind the government's of our country don't represent the people as a whole at large! I hope you enjoy your vacation. Also, here is the Eisenhower article!

Supp you are welcome to come by my hometown of Queens,NY aka the prefecture of the Peoples Republic of China aka Flushing,Queens where I live lol
Thanks, I will be with my son and daughter and we will be in NY for week. We will depart Heathrow on 12th December. Was surprised about the efficiency of US Embassy. They gave us Visa Waiver within 12 hours which was nice. Although this was on regular British passports but still our names would have marked us out as 'Muslim'.

Thank you! I agree America has some good things it does regarding Counter-Terrorism, but it also does some very bad things like funding rebels for our war industrial-complexes financial survival. The biggest issue with America is usually internal though, our people are rather divided right now not only on our current leadership but also the directions to take on immigration and counter-terrorism or how bush labeled it a "war on terror". Most fellow Americans of my generation I speak to oppose our involvement in the Levant and Central Asia. It's mainly older generations who still support our conflicts in other countries really, I think as time goes on America will slowly take a more isolated outlook once our newer generation begins filling power positions & the military machine begins to slow.

Big problem is the Evangelicals down south and in the midwest are a big political block in this country and would rather sell out America for Israel at a heartbeat as for immigration big mistake tho I might be called a hypocrite for this was the 1965 Immigration Act passed by LBJ and that unleashed the immigration crisis we have today and the divisions as well all for cheap labor and yes the millitary industrial complex as well

Welcome to PDF btw I live NYC but I have family living all over the midwest and the South too

View attachment 523986 View attachment 523987

I live not far from this @Indus Pakistan will you be staying in the city(Manhattan) or Queens
Hey thanks for the wrlcome! I have a few friends in Queens, I'm from Detroit Michigan but when I visited NYC the people were rather welcoming for the most part! How would you say Queens has changed? Is it as bad as the 90's still or has it made a turnaround like Harlem?

As a rule of thumb I always keep in mind the government's of our country don't represent the people as a whole at large! I hope you enjoy your vacation. Also, here is the Eisenhower article!
Thank you. I grew up watching American TV series and movies. As young boy I was crazy about The Champions, Million Dollar man etc Then of course New York conjures up Once Upon a Time in America. So yes I really look forward to seeing New York. I think we should be fine. I can 'swim' in all cultures and having been brought up in UK I don't think America should be a problem. And as you said we should not judge people by their governments. We are all human beings.

I have gotten to know this Polish [lady] at my gym and the other day I was talking to her that when I was at school Poland was seen as a 'Warsaw Pact' country and as a enemy. Look at today.

Thank you. I grew up watching American TV series and movies. As young boy I was crazy about The Champions, Million Dollar man etc Then of course New York conjures up Once Upon a Time in America. So yes I really look forward to seeing New York. I think we should be fine. I can 'swim' in all cultures and having been brought up in UK I don't think America should be a problem. And as you said we should not judge people by their governments. We are all human beings.

I have gotten to know this Polish [lady] at my gym and the other day I was talking to her that when I was at school Poland was seen as a 'Warsaw Pact' country and as a enemy. Look at today.
Yes, many polish people live in Michigan (our state has the largest amount of polish people in the country). So I'm aware of how Poles can be seen, many of my friends have stories their family told them after fleeing during cold war. My mom's side has lived in America a while but my dad's side is newer so I'd technically be a 2nd or 3rd generation American by technicality. UK is nice though as well, my Thai friend has dual citizenship in UK and Thailand and often sends Snapchats of the UK it's a beautiful place but rains a lot as well.

If you go though, I recommend you try to avoid gift shops as they're tourist traps outside of a item or two, NYC is extremely expensive and you can find better deals away from landmarks for the same type of items so keep that in mind so you aren't swindled of hard earned cash!

UK it's a beautiful place but rains a lot as well.
It is. Possibly too left and liberal by US standards but it's a great place. A country should be about it's citizens. Look after the infirm, the poor and weak. Who gives a toss about empire and domination of foreign countries. And yes, right now it's raining in damp, wet Yorkshire. But we are used to it.

It is. Possibly too left and liberal by US standards but it's a great place. A country should be about it's citizens. Look after the infirm, the poor and weak. Who gives a toss about empire and domination of foreign countries. And yes, right now it's raining in damp, wet Yorkshire. But we are used to it.
Sadly the USA lacks on social aspects but that's slowly changing. Unfortunately we also have lots of radicals both left and right drowning out the more level-headed people in the center. Largely in due to our politics and growing distrust among the government

Hello all, I am an American & I'm not sure if it matters but of Ukrainian-Russian & Polish descent. I am here to discuss things about Islam, geopolitics, discussion about things, military history & modern equipment. As well to make friends & maybe learn more about others & their views.

I'm currently a college student studying for my Mechatronics associates degree in applied sciences & engineering. I'm hoping to also eventually get my bachelor's and master's for it.

Pleased to meet everyone!

Make sure you post to the Team USA thread.
Oh and expect to be called an Indian within 20 postings. This forum has some kind of a weird three-way going between Pakistani, Chinese, and Indian members which I suggest you avoid.

Make sure you post to the Team USA thread.
Oh and expect to be called an Indian within 20 postings. This forum has some kind of a weird three-way going between Pakistani, Chinese, and Indian members which I suggest you avoid.
Okay I will look for that thread. Although I'm majority Eastern European descent and a little German, I won't let it bother me too much. Most people I've met here so far have been very friendly and level-headed so I usually ignore the loud minority who make themselves look like fools for insulting someone without knowing them :).

Sadly the USA lacks on social aspects but that's slowly changing. Unfortunately we also have lots of radicals both left and right drowning out the more level-headed people in the center. Largely in due to our politics and growing distrust among the government
Well, I have no idea about the future but United Kingdom has a solid socially aware society. Even our right wing probably would fall somewhere on the left of the political spectrum in USA. In addition political parties are very much based on grassroots. This is especially so of the Labour Party which effectively is financed by workes unions. This the system is more in touch with what the average citizen wants rather than big business or bankers. That is not to say they weild enormous influence but by US standards they are on a tight leash. We just had Brexit despite big business doing everything to oppose it.

I also find it weird how a country of 300 million people can only have two political parties that appear to have differance that is shades of grey.

Anyway @Ortis you have a great morning/day/night depending on your timezone.

Well, I have no idea about the future but United Kingdom has a solid socially aware society. Even our right wing probably would fall somewhere on the left of the political spectrum in USA. In addition political parties are very much based on grassroots. This is especially so of the Labour Party which effectively is financed by workes unions. This the system is more in touch with what the average citizen wants rather than big business or bankers. That is not to say they weild enormous influence but by US standards they are on a tight leash. We just had Brexit despite big business doing everything to oppose it.

I also find it weird how a country of 300 million people can only have two political parties that appear to have differance that is shades of grey.

Anyway @Ortis you have a great morning/day/night depending on your timezone.
Thank you my friend you as well, it was good talking to you. Feel free to message me if you'd ever like to continue where we left off or talk about our countries more.

Manhatten. And we don't intend to go beyond New York state. I think 7 days is not enough for all of USA.

I am right across the East River from Manhattan lol and you will be landing at JFK Airport which is in Queens lol and I am in NYC, so if you need any tour guide to show you around I have friends who work in the Tour industry and if you want to meet up let me know also since Public Transport is okay yes it smells like piss but its gets you somewhere for $2.75 Metro Card you can be in the Bronx,Brooklyn,Uptown,Downtown and Queens all depends on "Train Traffic" my suggest for you skip Time Square yes its been clean but it all full of annoying tourists and screens its like Picidilly Circus in London check out Queens , and Downtown Brooklyn,also do take the Staten Island Ferry as well.

Hey thanks for the wrlcome! I have a few friends in Queens, I'm from Detroit Michigan but when I visited NYC the people were rather welcoming for the most part! How would you say Queens has changed? Is it as bad as the 90's still or has it made a turnaround like Harlem?

That's great I was born and raised in Queens,NYC is okay I am just bored of NYC and the US I rather be in Malaysia or Singapore than here which I plan to once I finish college here, Crime has been down since the 1990s and Queens, Brooklyn, and Harlem in Manhattan have been cleaned up and the areas are in the millions and we have rich buyers from all over buying property in areas that use to be very s...ity I mean Long Island City in Queens was filled with Dirty Warehouses and graffiti back in the mid 2000s now its all condos and Skyscrapers now

New York State and California are known to be pretty left but dont let that fool you there are parts of this state that are deep red or center here Staten Island which is part of NYC is very Republican and Trump Country so many of the NYC Suburbs like Long Island as well.
Okay I will look for that thread. Although I'm majority Eastern European descent and a little German, I won't let it bother me too much. Most people I've met here so far have been very friendly and level-headed so I usually ignore the loud minority who make themselves look like fools for insulting someone without knowing them :).

Yeah bee look out for trolls from all over the world but you will get use to it

Back
Top Bottom