What's new

Has Bangladesh Really Left India and Pakistan Behind in Per Capita Income?

Bangladeshis are pretty humble and decent people from my experience. I think Bangladesh's recent successes stem from the fact that they, out of the South Asian countries, have most closely studied the East Asian model of industrialization and thus, have focused on building those labor intensive industries that served as the foundation of East Asian development for decades. It is a sound model.

Obviously, Bangladesh is just getting started and it still has overwhelming poverty, but if it continues on this path, it will become a successful country.

The other thing you need to consider is that BD is a single-ethnic country unlike India and Pakistan. It simply does not have to worry about keeping itself together like the other two need to.

BD had half the per capita nominal of both Pakistan and Indian in 2007. For 2021 the numbers are as below in US dollars:

1. Bangadesh : 2500
2. India : 2200
3: Pakistan: 1500

Yes, both Pakistanis and Indians are still richer than BD'shis due to historical higher per capita but we can see the different economic trajactories easily here between BD and India/Pakistan.

1. Bangadesh : 2500
2. India : 2200
3: Pakistan: 1500

1 USD = 179 PKR
1 USD = 85 BDT
1 USD = 75 INR

1500 USD= 270,000 PKR
2200 USD = 165,000 INR
2500 USD = 212,000 BDT

In terms of local currency values, seems like Pakistanis are higher followed by Bangladeshis and Indians come last.

That thing also proves that Bangladesh did manage to improve it's per capita especially when it was the lowest among three.

PS: BD and India have stable currencies, Pakistan on the other hand, well, never mind.

1 USD = 179 PKR
1 USD = 85 BDT
1 USD = 75 INR

1500 USD= 270,000 PKR
2200 USD = 165,000 INR
2500 USD = 212,000 BDT

In terms of local currency values, seems like Pakistanis are higher followed by Bangladeshis and Indians come last.

That thing also proves that Bangladesh did manage to improve it's per capita especially when it was the lowest among three.

PS: BD and India have stable currencies, Pakistan on the other hand, well, never mind.
You are turning an apples to apples comparison into apples vs oranges. 1 INR = 2.35 PKR. Therefore PKR 270000 ~ INR 115000. Maybe Pakistan has a slightly lower cost of living compared to India so a lower Rupee equivalent may not be that low.

1 USD = 179 PKR
1 USD = 85 BDT
1 USD = 75 INR

1500 USD= 270,000 PKR
2200 USD = 165,000 INR
2500 USD = 212,000 BDT

Interms of GDP per capita PPP:

1. BD - 6,000 US dollars
2. Pakistan - 6,000 US dollars
3. India - 7,200 US dollars

BD is growing a little faster than India and much faster than Pakistan.

Pardon me for asking a silly question, does purchasing power include gold that South Asian women hold so dearly generation after generation? No trolling please.
You are turning an apples to apples comparison into apples vs oranges.

I dunno what apple is and what orange is.
Cars are cheapest in India, expensive in Pakistan and most expensive in BD.
Petrol in expensive in India in terms of dollars and cheaper in Pakistan in dollar terms.
Petrol is expensive in Pakistan in Pakistani rupees terms and cheaper in India in Indian rupees terms.
India has more cars per capita, Pakistan has lesser.
Yet Pakistan has more highways/motorways(apparently/alledgely) than India.

Question is, how do people come to conclusion which country is better? I dunno. Do I care, not really.

Last edited:
Petrol in expensive in India in terms of dollars and cheaper in Pakistan in dollar terms.
Petrol is expensive in Pakistan in Pakistani rupees terms and cheaper in India in Indian rupees terms.

Question is, how do people come to conclusion which country is better? I dunno. Do I care, not really.
Didn't mean to offend you. I was just pointing out a technical error in the argument. The comparisons were already in a baseline currency and by converting it to local it got distorted.

Regarding the other question you asked (though not to me), I will try to provide some perspective...

One needs to differentiate between wealth and income. If you are familiar with accounting, this is similar to the difference between balance sheet and income statement. One is a status at a given point in time, the other is measure over a period of time. Gold in hand from previous years is wealth. Gold acquired this year is income (basically money getting substituted with gold). Previous year's gold is not counted as income this year, but is counted as wealth.

@UKBengali made a very valid point that the effects of Bangladesh's higher growth over India and Pakistan will show over a period of time as Bangladeshis start to accumulate wealth and can invest in better infra and production capacity. In other words, the higher income translating into higher wealth. Currently India and Pakistan are 'wealthier' than Bangladesh.

Last edited:

1. BD - 6,000 US dollars
2. Pakistan - 6,000 US dollars
3. India - 7,200 US dollars

BD is growing a little faster than India and much faster than Pakistan.

1. BD - 4680 USD US dollars
2. Pakistan - 4590 USD US dollars
India - 7500 USD US dollars

take two types of data
1) 15,16,18,12,19,21
2) 0,0,5,5,7,150
the average of data type 1 is 16.8
the average of data type 2 is 27.8

If the two types data is GDP, then data type 2 has greater GDP per capita than data type 1.

statistical averages can be corrupted when you take outliers, and in an unequal society where economic growth led by capitalism makes the rich richer and the poor poorer, you can get the illusion of prosperity when looking at GDP per capita.

If Bangladesh truely is more prosperous than India and Pakistan, I would be more interested in median household income rather than GDP per Capita.

1. BD - 4680 USD US dollars
2. Pakistan - 4590 USD US dollars
India - 7500 USD US dollars

India data that you posted is different with data on your link ( 6118 USD). 7500 USD is based on Wikipedia for 2021 projection in which Indian member must be the one who put that number.... Better use 2020 data as that is the real one while 2021 is still projection

Last edited:
Any way we should see India has 8-9 contraction in 2020 while 2021 projection will be 8 percent growth. And we can see high jump between 2019 ( before pandemic) and 2021 projection (7500 USD) which is IMO impossible to happen by looking to latest IMF projection on India 2021 growth.

India data that you posted is different with data on your link ( 6118 USD). 7500 USD is based on Wikipedia for 2021 projection in which Indian member must be the one who put that number.... Better use 2020 data as that is the real one while 2021 is still projection
Data of all the three countries are 2021 projection.

Pardon me for asking a silly question, does purchasing power include gold that South Asian women hold so dearly generation after generation? No trolling please.

omg the gold - it's ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom