What's new

Has Bangladesh Really Left India and Pakistan Behind in Per Capita Income?

As far as I know, Bangladesh is a homogeneous country.
Therefore, Bangladesh has greater development advantages than Pakistan and India.
I believe Bangladesh's economy can achieve rapid development.

Exactly.

Why anyone is surprised that BD economy is showing higher and more stable growth is the question.

India is doing ok but Pakistan should be doing better.

If a small homogeneous country like BD got its act together and worked towards it dedicatedly, it is quite possible for it to have higher per-capita figures than a LARGE DIVERSE country like India.

But, as far I as I see & understand, the actual picture right now is very different. India is aflush with illegal immigrants from BD so much that they have become a 'votebank' in few places.

Gold is useless wealth as it doesnt provide financing for the economy. Better if we have saving in the form of our currency in our country bank.

The saving will be used to grow the economy when the money is lend to entrepreneur by bank or lend to our government ( the bank buy our gov bond).

More money put on the bank will also lower interest rate and if we put on Islamic bank it means we will help our banking system healtiness and make our banking ( financial system ) stronger since the interest rate will be based on our bank profitability.

Gold is useless wealth as it doesnt provide financing for the economy. Better if we have saving in the form of our currency in our country bank.

The saving will be used to grow the economy when the money is lend to entrepreneur by bank or lend to our government ( the bank buy our gov bond).

More money put on the bank will also lower interest rate and if we put on Islamic bank it means we will help our banking system healtiness and make our banking ( financial system ) stronger since the interest rate will be based on our bank profitability.

Tell that to women. :D

The global annual gold production is about 3600 tons, worth about 200 billion US dollars. However, the annual global gold consumption demand is only 900 tons. So in fact, the average depreciation rate of gold is faster than that of currency.
To make matters worse, the earth's gold reserves are 40000 megatons, with an average of 550 tons per person. In other words, there are enough gold mines on earth for us to mine for 1100 billion years.

Bold part: I think you misunderstood the word "Machi"/ Mach, which in reality is "Majhi" or کشتی والا/ ناو والا in Urdu.

There is probably no poem on Mach or Fish in Bengali. At least I have not encountered such a poem. But there are sayings like, "Mache-bhate Bangali", It means something like .مچھلی اور چاول سے ھی بنگالی لوگ ھوتے ھیں .

Like I said it was my memories from my Childhood and majhi sounded like machi which i related to machli (fish). anyways good to know it now :)

Although I wish best for Bangladesh, Pakistan is still a way better country than Bangladesh.

I wonder who posted this topic.

As far as I know, Bangladesh is a homogeneous country.
Therefore, Bangladesh has greater development advantages than Pakistan and India.
I believe Bangladesh's economy can achieve rapid development.
Plus unlike Pakistan, Bangladesh lives in a relatively peaceful neighborhood and doesn't have existential threats from three sides (Iran, India and Afghanistan). Nor has it fought wars against two superpowers and regional powers ever in it's history. Pakistan has done exactly that continuously over the last forty years.

Pakistan has had to push back against Soviet and India sponsored and trained terrorism during the 70's and 80's and 90's even now India with collaboration of Iran and US continually keeps the terrorism simmering in Pakistan.

Additionally, Pakistan has been ground zero for proxy war between Iranians and Saudis throughout the last 40 years.

To have been in constant state of war for the last 40 years, hobbled by corrupt politicians, judiciary and bureaucracy, Pakistan making it this far is a miracle in itself.

Bangladesh should count itself lucky it doesn't have to contend even with a fraction of adversities that Pakistan has had to in the past five decades.

Last edited:
Although I wish best for Bangladesh, Pakistan is still a way better country than Bangladesh.

I wonder who posted this topic.
People never experienced Pakistan or visited it, a small city like Sialkot has a better lifestyle forget big city, and I even posted the video of a 300 man village so idiots can see through the b.s of very very poor rural areas

While anyone is free to see Bangladesh for themselves... I won't say much on that front...

I don't particularly care if they're good or bad, but need to stop chirping on internet (talking to idiotic racist kinds who call Pakistanis punjabis) when clearly most of the country is one big shantytown
Just like frickin visit it once to see for yourself people... There are things that internet warriors can't or don't want to see

Tell that to women. :D

This is a kind of gold than men couldnt reject :p:

1640216406463.png

People never experienced Pakistan or visited it, a small city like Sialkot has a better lifestyle forget big city, and I even posted the video of a 300 man village so idiots can see through the b.s of very very poor rural areas

While anyone is free to see Bangladesh for themselves... I won't say much on that front...

I don't particularly care if they're good or bad, but need to stop chirping on internet (talking to idiotic racist kinds who call Pakistanis punjabis) when clearly most of the country is one big shantytown
Just like frickin visit it once to see for yourself people... There are things that internet warriors can't or don't want to see
Exactly Bangladesh is not even a developing country. It is a Least developed country.

Kind of stupid to compare to a nuclear powered country like Pakistan.

I'm not even Punjabi. I'm a Muhajir of Pathan ancestry.

Last edited:
Bhai I believe having to get involved with America in Afghanistan in the WOT, and handling Afghan refugees are a bit bigger than "giving excuses". Sometimes when we in Bangladesh see things in Pakistan, we may be overly critical, but we have to put ourselves in their shoes, though we may be more disappointed as fellow "brothers and sisters" than for example, Indians are (who of course don't give a $hit and are happy to see Pakistan suffer).

We did not have to suffer any of this as a country like Pakistan and had five decades of relative peace (except the hair-pulling stunts of the two ladies). We were very lucky in that respect.

Defense of BD needs to be uncompromising against everyone regardless of who they are.

The question is about GDP and development....what should it matter why PK has fallen behind. If they say somehow the world is wrong, let them, we do not need to soothe their ego and give any ground.

Personally I would not bother defending BD against such naysayers. It is their ego that is hurt now that their racial superiority theories have been proven comprehensively wrong.

Globally established facts places BD GDP ahead of PK and India. It is what our trade and development partners are looking at. It is what financial institutions and rating agencies are using. What difference does it make to BD if some random idiots comes up with their fact. Just like trans weirdos they self identify as being more developed than BD. Let them...does not make any difference to the objective and established facts.

Defense of BD needs to be uncompromising against everyone regardless of who they are.

The question is about GDP and development....what should it matter why PK has fallen behind. If they say somehow the world is wrong, let them, we do not need to soothe their ego and give any ground.

Personally I would not bother defending BD against such naysayers. It is their ego that is hurt now that their racial superiority theories have been proven comprehensively wrong.

Globally established facts places BD GDP ahead of PK and India. It is what our trade and development partners are looking at. It is what financial institutions and rating agencies are using. What difference does it make to BD if some random idiots comes up with their fact. Just like trans weirdos they self identify as being more developed than BD. Let them...does not make any difference to the objective and established facts.

I would not be using words like "idiots" against those who simply cannot publicly acknowledge that BD has a more robust and stable economy than both India and Pakistan.

It is telling that it is now giving out loans to other countries in the region and unless it was in a good position economically it could not do so.

The surprising thing is why BD is not already a "middle-income" country somewhat equivalent to Indonesia.

Yes there was the period of 1947-1971 which massively held back BD but it has not been run as well as it should have been since 1971. BD has no ethnic issues and so should be able to follow the efficient industrialisation paths of East Asian economies like Korea and Taiwan quite closely.

I think the answer lies in the 2 decades of "democracy" under BNP and AL that did not allow the efficiency in the economy that it could have had. There was little long-term planning, particularly in terms of infrastructure that we are now seeing with AL. This lack of infrastructure held back both domestic and foreign investment that could have lifted growth for those 2 decades.

Anyway, what is done is done and BD is doing relatively well but still has a good 15-20 years before it can reach "middle-income" status, and then it can say it has achieved a major milestone since independence in 1971.

Bangladesh has 700 rivers large and small in the Ganges/Padma Delta, the whole place is floating on water. Yes, we make boats and sail them a lot.

Hundreds of years ago - we sent one of our Vanga (Bengal) Kingdom kings (King Vijaya) to Sri Lanka (Sinhala) to establish a Buddhist kingdom. That was the origin of the Sinhala royal bloodline. Vanga also had maritime connections with Burma and Thailand and that is how Buddhism spread there from Bengal.

But yes - we do sail boats, small and large, to transport, to fish, to entertain. The word "Dinghy" is a Bengali word, as are the roots of many maritime English terms. Bengal Built many British Navy vessels which participated in the Battle of Trafalgar.

"Majhee Ray" is a term that means "Hey Majhee". "Majhee" means boatman or boatswain. It is a philosophical term meaning "Mere Maola" who guides your boat (life) through stormy waters. Bangladeshis today are Sunni (Sufi) followers and Sufi philosophy of Islam preaches tolerance rather than militancy in Islam.

Here is a traditional Long-boat race video from Bangladesh which happens around the year. These are similar to Hawaiian/Thai/IndoChina racing boats. This is common across most Asian Buddhist countries where large rivers exist. They are also common in South India.

As far as maritime build traditions - local river transport - local large cargo carriers are built informally without any shipyard support and floated using inflatable rollers, Some of them are as big as coasters which can ply from our coast all the way down to Sri Lanka, along the coast if needed. This one below is a 5000 ton general cargo carrier.

Mine was 2020 figure I believe, yours is one year later.
Vijay Singha ruled from 543 BC to 505 BC. Buddhism came to Bengal only during the time of Asoka and then have major influence under the Pala's. Whatever the religion of Vijay Singha it can't be Buddhism for sure.
Trivia - His so called travel originated from Tamralipta. Even Odisa people consider them as their own.

Bangladesh just rebased its GDP in 2020-21 to year 2015-16. This has boosted its per capita income by double digits for every year since 2015-16. Bangladesh's per capita income for the 2015-16 fiscal year has now gone up to $1,737 from $1,465 in the old calculation. For the 2019-2020 fiscal, the per capita income has gone up to $2,335 from $2,024. The new GDP estimate covers 21 sectors, up from 15 sectors previously. India last rebased its GDP in 2015, a change that bumped up its per capita GDP by double digits. Nigeria's last rebasing in 2012 increased the size of its economy (GDP) by nearly 90%. Pakistan's current base year is 2005-6. Rebasing which is now long overdue will almost certainly increase Pakistan's per capita income by double digits.

In its 2014 annual report, the State Bank of Pakistan talked about a number of new sectors that are either under-reported or not covered at all: "In terms of LSM growth, a number of sectors that are showing strong performance; (for example, fast moving consumer goods (FMCG) sector; plastic products; buses and trucks; and even textiles), are either under reported, or not even covered. The omission of such important sectors from official data coverage, probably explains the apparent disconnect between overall economic activity in the country and the hard numbers in LSM."

Back
Top Bottom