What's new

Happy New Year 2012! Taiwan's GDP is now Half a Trillion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Rechoice turned my Happy New Year and/or Taiwan thread into a China-Vietnam thread, I might as well discuss Vietnam's economy.

Vietnam, wracked by economic woes, plans new reforms | Reuters

"Vietnam, wracked by economic woes, plans new reforms
"
Facebook CEO just Visited Vietnam, he may offer some help to Vn economy :cool:
Facebook CEO Visits Vietnam Over Christmas

Written by
Erica Thinesen
view bio
Since starting a freelance writing business in 2006, Erica J. Thinesen has been working with small and medium-sized businesses to create...
27 December, 2011 vietnam facebook mark zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg's visit to Vietnam has drawn the attention of the tech community throughout the world. However, the massively popular social networking site's Vietnamese wing has refused to provide any details regarding his surprise visit to the Asian nation.

Apparently the Facebook founder, along with his girlfriend and a seven-person entourage landed in the northern mountain town of Sa Pa in Lao Cai Province in a couple of choppers on Christmas eve.
Facebook CEO Visits Vietnam Over Christmas | ITProPortal.com
CEO%20FACe.jpg

Let's enjoy the New year with our buffalo :partay:

This is the most clever 3D light show that I have ever seen. It's worth watching from the beginning to the very end.

[Note: Thank you to Unnamed Sweeper Monk for the videolink.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Who still does not believe that PDF is overrun by Indian (R0H1T, who is thankfully banned), Vietnamese, and Filipino trolls?

I've reported Aquino. I hope the moderators ban him immediately. It is impossible to create threads and discuss the INTENDED TOPIC!

My China-Africa thread was derailed by R0H1T. Now, my Happy New Year and/or Taiwan thread is being hijacked by Aquino (a Filipino troll); who is joining Rechoice (a Vietnamese troll).

I'm getting fed up because more of you keep coming out of the woodwork. What the hell?! I'm on 7 forums and only PDF has this troll infestation problem.

How many times do I have to say this guys? Go start an anti-China thread in the World Affairs forum. That's why the World Affairs forum exists. The Chinese sub-forum is for discussion of Chinese issues in accordance with the THREAD TOPIC. Can you guys read?

In the past six months, I've started ONLY TWO THREADS. Both threads have been ruined by you trolls. See that "Post New Thread" button? Go start your own threads.

I am not troll, I am donating documents to support your thread? My evidences makes your butt hurt or you are a Vietnamese?

You sound like a Vietnamese to me, those people are always denying negative proofs on them!

No. I want you to create your own thread on poverty. This thread is about Happy New Year and/or Taiwan.

Can you read the thread title? Where is Vietnam or poor people mentioned in the title: "Happy New Year 2012! Taiwan's GDP is now Half a Trillion!"

----------

Update: Thank you to Santro for deleting the latest troll's posts. Come on guys, R0H1T has already been banned. How many more examples do you need? Stop trolling in my two threads. Either post something relevant or go make your own thread.

Help? Help you by what? He is just a CEO of a company? What is he going to help you? Does he own few trillion dollars?

LOL I hope they won't turn you into a new Libya LOL
Heheh, at least his trip can help some VNese having few thousand dollar, so they can buy something for new years 2012 :partay:

Since Rechoice turned my Happy New Year and/or Taiwan thread into a China-Vietnam thread, I might as well discuss Vietnam's economy.

Vietnam, wracked by economic woes, plans new reforms | Reuters

"Vietnam, wracked by economic woes, plans new reforms
By Tran Le Thuy and John Ruwitch
HANOI | Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:46pm EST

(Reuters) - After four years of economic instability, Vietnam is embarking on reforms some believe could be its most significant since steps started in 1986 that ended stifling central planning and, eventually, turned the war-torn country into a tiger.

However, there's substantial skepticism that policymakers can fend off resistance to major change from state-owned companies and other interest groups, including private conglomerates, whose influence has surged.

Months of heated discussion have produced a consensus that Vietnam, wracked by Asia's worst inflation and other woes, needs to change tack, as it did 25 years ago when the "Doi Moi" (renovation) policy took flight.
SHIFTING GROWTH MODEL

At a crossroads in the mid-1980s when the economy was moribund, liberalisation that unleashed individuals and industries made Vietnam into a rising star. But in recent years, the star has burned out, and the country has evolved from one of Asia's most promising economies into one of the most unstable.
REFORM OR STAY BEHIND

There is little dispute about the challenges.

Inflation has surged well above 20 percent twice in the past three years while foreign exchange reserves have slumped and the Vietnamese dong has lost more than 20 percent against the dollar. Vietnam's external debt has risen above its peers to more than 40 percent of gross domestic product (GDP) while credit-to-GDP has soared to 125 percent.

Foreign direct investment pledges have slumped, dropping 22 percent this year so far from the same part in 2010.
Last year, all three major ratings agencies -- Fitch, Moody's and Standard & Poor's -- downgraded the country of nearly 90 million people.

Experts say the root of Vietnam's boom-to-bust dilemma lies in excessive investment in inefficient state-owned corporations, which suck up capital and have diversified wildly from their core competencies into sectors such as property and stocks -- both of which have faltered."

Yup, you are right. I and many other Vietnames are really upset with the economic situation of Vietnam today. This is a long story and I think the main reason comes from Vietnam government currently headed by Nguyen Tan Dung. Our economy now is much worse than other ASEAN countries and is impossible to compare to Taiwan. Taiwanese is very great, they have built up a strong economy, advanced-technology country. Good job to them!!!

Yup, you are right. I and many other Vietnames are really upset with the economic situation of Vietnam today. This is a long story and I think the main reason comes from Vietnam government currently headed by Nguyen Tan Dung. Our economy now is much worse than other ASEAN countries and is impossible to compare to Taiwan. Taiwanese is very great, they have built up a strong economy, advanced-technology country. Good job to them!!!

My other thread, where "China canceled $30 billion in debt by 35 African countries," shows China's generosity towards cooperative countries. I'm actually surprised that Vietnam has not taken a more sophisticated approach in its relations with China.

Firstly, China discovered the South China Sea and islands 1,400 to 2,000 years ago. It is indisputable that the South China Sea and islands belong to China. China intends to assert its ownership to the South China Sea and islands to ensure that U.S. military vessels do not freely move along the southern coast of China.

Secondly, Chinese and Vietnamese interests are different in the South China Sea and there is an easy compromise. Vietnam is only disputing Chinese sovereignty over the Paracel Islands, because of the oil in the seabed. In other words, Vietnamese interest is primarily financial. Vietnam wants the oil revenue.

I am certain that the Chinese government is willing to offer a revenue-sharing agreement with Vietnam with regard to some of the overlapping claims (e.g. along the lines of the deal offered to Japan; see citation at bottom of post).

Thirdly, if Vietnam continues to pursue an unilateral goal of grabbing China's Paracel Islands and other nearby islands then the worst-case scenario is that the PLA will march on Hanoi and burn it to the ground.

China is currently primarily a land power. The U.S. is primarily a sea power in Asia. Vietnam is geographically connected to China. There is nothing the U.S. can do to stop the PLA from capturing Hanoi. That is just common sense.

Have you noticed the U.S. is unwilling to invade North Korea despite the North Koreans testing atomic weapons? Why not?

During the Korean War from 1950-1953, China had pushed the U.S. Army into a pocket. According to standard military doctrine, once you have pushed your enemy into a pocket, you annihilate the closely compacted enemy troops with heavy artillery. The only reason China did not annihilate the U.S. Army in Korea was to avoid being nuked by President Truman (see citation below).

Today, China has plenty of thermonuclear weapons. The United States can no longer deter China from using its full might in an Asian land war. Also, China's military technology has become a near-peer to the United States. With the weight of millions of Chinese soldiers behind Chinese military technology, the United States has practically no chance of stopping the PLA in a country neighboring China.

In other words, I'm saying Vietnam's attempt to seize the Paracel Islands will never work. Just ask the Georgians and their attempt to seize control of Abkhazia and South Ossetia from the Russians.

Fourthly, the most rational approach for Vietnam is to negotiate with China and try to obtain the best deal that you can. Seek a revenue-sharing agreement along the terms of the Sino-Japanese agreement. Also, ask for overseas aid.

The Africans have already consumed $30 billion of forgiven Chinese debt. I don't think China would notice a few extra billions in foreign aid to a nation willing to cooperate with China. This is the best outcome that Vietnam can achieve.

If Vietnam continues to believe in the fantasy whispered by Uncle Sam of Vietnamese hegemony over the Paracel Islands, you will find the PLA at your door very soon. You will also find Uncle Sam nowhere to be found. Just ask the Georgians. Where was the U.S. Army?

It should be obvious that the United States will not directly fight the nuclear-armed Russians or the near-peer Chinese. China is not currently on a war-footing. However, if China feels threatened, it can produce massive numbers of Type 052C destroyers and other warships at will. China chooses not to do so and Uncle Sam prefers the status quo.

There are limits to the extent that the United States is willing to antagonize China. The United States will not actively intervene in a Sino-Vietnamese war.

-----

CmqCq.gif

"Retreat to Pusan Perimeter. American and South Korean forces end more than a month of retreat by establishing, finally, a stable defensive line outside the city of Pusan, at the far southeastern tip of the peninsula. The shattered remnants of the South Korean army and the entire American force in Korea crowd into the tiny area behind the so-called Pusan Perimeter; the entire rest of the country, more than 90% of Korea's land area, is now under Communist control. Over the next six weeks, North Korean forces will launch a series of ferocious assaults against the Pusan Perimeter, hoping to achieve a decisive victory to end the war. But the Americans hold the line, buying time for General MacArthur to organize a counterattack." (Source: http://www.shmoop.com/korean-war/timeline.html)

http://thephora.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56424

"US generals actively considered the use of Atomic Bombs from the very beginning, even before China intervened. US presidents considered the use of the A-Bombs after PVA entered.

[From Blair]

On June 1950, Eisenhower met with Collins, Haislip, Ridgway, Ike suggested use of two atomic bombs in the Korea area.

In July 1950, MacArthur suggested plan to use atomic bombs to 'isolate the battle fields".

[From Hastings]

On November 30 1950, President Truman said in a press conference: "There had always been active consideration of its[Atomic Bomb's] use...".

On December 24 1950, MacArthur submitted a list of 'retaliation targets' in China and North Korea, requiring 26 atomic bombs.

In January 1953, US tested its first tactical nuclear weapon, and the JCS considered its use 'against military targets affecting operations in Korea.'"

----------

http://www.rfa.org/english/energy_watch/japan-06262008204554.html

"China-Japan Oil Deal
By Michael Lelyveld
2008-06-26

After years of discord, China has agreed to cooperate with Japan on developing a disputed offshore gas field. But major challenges lie ahead.

BOSTON—China’s decision to share a disputed gas field may mark a significant breakthrough with Japan, but analysts caution that major issues remain unsettled between the two Asian powers.

On June 18, China’s Foreign Ministry confirmed reports that it had agreed on joint development of the East China Sea gas field that has been at the center of border quarrels with Japan for the past four years.

Under the agreement, Japan will participate in exploiting the offshore Chunxiao field, which Japan calls Shirakaba, and will jointly explore nearby areas, the ministry said. While Japan will make “financial contributions” to the gas field project, “profits will be distributed on favorable terms to China,” said the Tokyo daily Yomiuri Shimbun.

The two countries have been at odds over the undersea resources since China National Offshore Oil Corp. (CNOOC) started drilling in 2004 near waters claimed by Japan.

Tokyo charged that CNOOC was tapping into gas on Japan’s side of a median line in an area known as the Xihu Trench. China claims a wider economic zone, based on the extent of its continental shelf."

My other thread, where "China canceled $30 billion in debt by 35 African countries," shows China's generosity towards cooperative countries. I'm actually surprised that Vietnam has not taken a more sophisticated approach in its relations with China.

Firstly, China discovered the South China Sea and islands 1,400 to 2,000 years ago. It is indisputable that the South China Sea and islands belong to China. China intends to assert its ownership to the South China Sea and islands to ensure that U.S. military vessels do not freely move along the southern coast of China.

Secondly, Chinese and Vietnamese interests are different in the South China Sea and there is an easy compromise. Vietnam is only disputing Chinese sovereignty over the Paracel Islands, because of the oil in the seabed. In other words, Vietnamese interest is primarily financial. Vietnam wants the oil revenue.

I am certain that the Chinese government is willing to offer a revenue-sharing agreement with Vietnam with regard to some of the overlapping claims (e.g. along the lines of the deal offered to Japan; see citation at bottom of post).

Thirdly, if Vietnam continues to pursue an unilateral goal of grabbing China's Paracel Islands and other nearby islands then the worst-case scenario is that the PLA will march on Hanoi and burn it to the ground.

China is currently primarily a land power. The U.S. is primarily a sea power in Asia. Vietnam is geographically connected to China. There is nothing the U.S. can do to stop the PLA from capturing Hanoi. That is just common sense.

Have you noticed the U.S. is unwilling to invade North Korea despite the North Koreans testing atomic weapons? Why not?

During the Korean War from 1950-1953, China had pushed the U.S. Army into a pocket. According to standard military doctrine, once you have pushed your enemy into a pocket, you annihilate the closely compacted enemy troops with heavy artillery. The only reason China did not annihilate the U.S. Army in Korea was to avoid being nuked by President Truman (see citation below).

Today, China has plenty of thermonuclear weapons. The United States can no longer deter China from using its full might in an Asian land war. Also, China's military technology has become a near-peer to the United States. With the weight of millions of Chinese soldiers behind Chinese military technology, the United States has practically no chance of stopping the PLA in a country neighboring China.

In other words, I'm saying Vietnam's attempt to seize the Paracel Islands will never work. Just ask the Georgians and their attempt to seize control of Abkhazia and South Ossetia from the Russians.

Fourthly, the most rational approach for Vietnam is to negotiate with China and try to obtain the best deal that you can. Seek a revenue-sharing agreement along the terms of the Sino-Japanese agreement. Also, ask for overseas aid.

The Africans have already consumed $30 billion of forgiven Chinese debt. I don't think China would notice a few extra billions in foreign aid to a nation willing to cooperate with China. This is the best outcome that Vietnam can achieve.

If Vietnam continues to believe in the fantasy whispered by Uncle Sam of Vietnamese hegemony over the Paracel Islands, you will find the PLA at your door very soon. You will also find Uncle Sam nowhere to be found. Just ask the Georgians. Where was the U.S. Army?

It should be obvious that the United States will not directly fight the nuclear-armed Russians or the near-peer Chinese. China is not currently on a war-footing. However, if China feels threatened, it can produce massive numbers of Type 052C destroyers and other warships at will. China chooses not to do so and Uncle Sam prefers the status quo.

There are limits to the extent that the United States is willing to antagonize China. The United States will not actively intervene in a Sino-Vietnamese war.

-----

CmqCq.gif

"Retreat to Pusan Perimeter. American and South Korean forces end more than a month of retreat by establishing, finally, a stable defensive line outside the city of Pusan, at the far southeastern tip of the peninsula. The shattered remnants of the South Korean army and the entire American force in Korea crowd into the tiny area behind the so-called Pusan Perimeter; the entire rest of the country, more than 90% of Korea's land area, is now under Communist control. Over the next six weeks, North Korean forces will launch a series of ferocious assaults against the Pusan Perimeter, hoping to achieve a decisive victory to end the war. But the Americans hold the line, buying time for General MacArthur to organize a counterattack." (Source: The Korean War Timeline of Important Dates)

America Threatens to Nuke China: A History - The Phora

"US generals actively considered the use of Atomic Bombs from the very beginning, even before China intervened. US presidents considered the use of the A-Bombs after PVA entered.

[From Blair]

On June 1950, Eisenhower met with Collins, Haislip, Ridgway, Ike suggested use of two atomic bombs in the Korea area.

In July 1950, MacArthur suggested plan to use atomic bombs to 'isolate the battle fields".

[From Hastings]

On November 30 1950, President Truman said in a press conference: "There had always been active consideration of its[Atomic Bomb's] use...".

On December 24 1950, MacArthur submitted a list of 'retaliation targets' in China and North Korea, requiring 26 atomic bombs.

In January 1953, US tested its first tactical nuclear weapon, and the JCS considered its use 'against military targets affecting operations in Korea.'"

----------

China-Japan Oil Deal

"China-Japan Oil Deal
By Michael Lelyveld
2008-06-26

After years of discord, China has agreed to cooperate with Japan on developing a disputed offshore gas field. But major challenges lie ahead.

BOSTON—China’s decision to share a disputed gas field may mark a significant breakthrough with Japan, but analysts caution that major issues remain unsettled between the two Asian powers.

On June 18, China’s Foreign Ministry confirmed reports that it had agreed on joint development of the East China Sea gas field that has been at the center of border quarrels with Japan for the past four years.

Under the agreement, Japan will participate in exploiting the offshore Chunxiao field, which Japan calls Shirakaba, and will jointly explore nearby areas, the ministry said. While Japan will make “financial contributions” to the gas field project, “profits will be distributed on favorable terms to China,” said the Tokyo daily Yomiuri Shimbun.

The two countries have been at odds over the undersea resources since China National Offshore Oil Corp. (CNOOC) started drilling in 2004 near waters claimed by Japan.

Tokyo charged that CNOOC was tapping into gas on Japan’s side of a median line in an area known as the Xihu Trench. China claims a wider economic zone, based on the extent of its continental shelf."

Firstly, China discovered the South China Sea and islands 1,400 to 2,000 years ago. .
Recently chinese tried to find in old books something description about the islands in oversea, where mames was different and man can't identification where is this in the world. But chinese made vague aexplanation to state that such islands are Paracel, Spratsly Islands bolong to China. It's big lies
If China can find in your old book someting mentioned to Moon in ancent time then state that chinese could dicovered it first and then the Moon is indisputable planet belong to China ? In fact discovered it fist are Arabis or India bussiness men, they are first did bussiness with Vietnam, China and Japan in ancient time, Chinese didnt dicovered islands first. You stated also that China is mainland country.

Vietnam has been made official administative control over Hoang Sa and Truong SA Islands from time of 1600 years when the Lord Nguyen Hoang obyed command from Le's Kingdom went to south to rule southern areas of Great Viet, Đại Việt. Hundreds years in the past we didn't have any trouble with China until 1900 years. In fact Qing's Dynastry did'nt care about Islands. Around 1900 year Vietnam authority protested China about Chinese robbers by Hoanh Sa. Cantonese Govenor stated that Hoang Sa no belong to China then China don't have responsible about such accidents.

In the past navy of Vietnam is developed as well. When you could read our history book, in time of civil wars beetwwen Le's Kingdom and Mac's Kingdom in Vietnam, when Mac's attacked Le's in Thanh Hoa Provence they usually using warships first, becourse it can do quickly and secretly, and then if it may be, not in advantage position, soldiers can retreat to the sea. Same thing has been made in the wars between Viet and Champa.

Secondly, ... I don't like to comment more about what you posted. It's noting diffrnce from agressive article of Global Time, English version of Ren min re pao. I may turn back if I have time.

fSJAx.jpg

(Source: Military Strength of China)

Rechoice, be honest, describe a plausible scenario where Vietnam can prevail against China militarily. Go ahead, try it. I thought so. It's not possible.

It's like asking Cuba, even with outside help, to describe a scenario where it prevails against the United States. It is plainly ridiculous.

As a Vietnamese, you should be glad that China is such a reasonable country. If China behaved like the Soviets or Germans, they would have annexed the northern half of your country by now.

Today's China is a near-peer to the United States with thermonuclear weapons, a $7 trillion economy, and growing around 8% per year. China's military contains 4,092 aircraft (see chart above), 1,389 helicopters, 22,795 land weapons, and 562 total navy ships.

Don't forget, with an $100 billion annual military budget, China is constantly upgrading (e.g. prototype J-20 Mighty Dragon stealth fighter) its arsenal and building more weapons (e.g. Type 99A2 main battle tanks).

Are you still holding onto the fantasy of the United States somehow fighting a war on Vietnam's behalf? You should read item #4 in my post below. In 1962, China's military technology was decades behind the United States and yet, the United States refused to grant India's repeated desperate requests for 12 squadrons of jet fighters.

Vietnam's probability of success against China, with or without outside help, is ZERO. What's the point of arguing with the world's third-largest thermonuclear power (e.g. at least 294 megatons of thermonuclear warheads) and second-largest military budget? Catch my drift?

Four important lessons from 1962 Sino-Indian border war

1. When the People's Daily newspaper publishes an article warning you to back off, you better listen. It is a prelude to war. The Indians ignored the warning from the People's Daily in 1962 and they paid the price of defeat in the Sino-Indian border war.

This lesson is applicable today to Vietnam and the Philippines. After the People's Daily, Xinhua, and Global Times warned them of military action, Vietnamese and Filipino provocations in the South China Sea stopped.

Sino-Indian War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"On 22 September 1962, the People's Daily published an article which claimed that "the Chinese people were burning with 'great indignation' over the Indian actions on the border and that New Delhi could not 'now say that warning was not served in advance'."[37][38]
On 14 October, an editorial on People's Daily issued China's final warning to India: "So it seems that Mr. Nehru has made up his mind to attack the Chinese frontier guards on an even bigger scale....It is high time to shout to Mr. Nehru that the heroic Chinese troops, with the glorious tradition of resisting foreign aggression, can never be cleared by anyone from their own territory... If there are still some maniacs who are reckless enough to ignore our well-intentioned advice and insist on having another try, well, let them do so. History will pronounce its inexorable verdict... At this critical moment...we still want to appeal once more to Mr. Nehru: better rein in at the edge of the precipice and do not use the lives of Indian troops as stakes in your gamble." [38]"

----------

2. Chinese weaponry stationed across from Taiwan can be moved to the Indian sector. In 1962, China moved heavy artillery. In the current context, China can move 1,800 short-range ballistic missiles from the Taiwan sector for use against India.

"Chinese attention was diverted for a time by the military activity of the Nationalists on Taiwan, but on 23 June the U.S. assured China that a Nationalist invasion would not be permitted.[30] China's heavy artillery facing Taiwan could then be moved to Tibet.[31] It took China six to eight months to gather the resources needed for the war, according to Anil Athale, author of the official Indian history.[31] The Chinese sent a large quantity of non-military supplies to Tibet through the Indian port of Calcutta.[31]"

----------

3. PLA's blitzkrieg will slice through the enemy's best troops.

"Marshal Liu Bocheng headed a group to determine the strategy for the war. He concluded that the opposing Indian troops were among India's best, and to achieve victory would require deploying crack troops and relying on force concentration to achieve decisive victory. On 16 October, this war plan was approved, and on the 18th, the final approval was given by the Politburo for a "self-defensive counter-attack", scheduled for 20 October.[2]
At 5:14 am, Chinese mortar fire began attacking the Indian positions. Simultaneously, the Chinese cut the Indian telephone lines, preventing the defenders from making contact with their headquarters. At about 6:30 am, the Chinese infantry launched a surprise attack from the rear and forced the Indians to leave their trenches.[36]

The Chinese troops overwhelmed the Indians in a series of flanking manoeuvres south of the McMahon Line and prompted their withdrawal from Namka Chu.[36] Fearful of continued losses, Indian troops escaped into Bhutan. Chinese forces respected the border and did not pursue.[7] Chinese forces now held all of the territory that was under dispute at the time of the Thag La confrontation, but they continued to advance into the rest of NEFA.[36]
Western theatre

On the Aksai Chin front, China already controlled most of the disputed territory. Chinese forces quickly swept the region of any remaining Indian troops.[42] Late on 19 October, Chinese troops launched a number of attacks throughout the western theatre.[8] By 22 October, all posts north of Chushul had been cleared.[8]"

----------

4. In 1962, the United States rejected India's plea for military jets. Today, China is a well-armed thermonuclear power. What are the chances that the United States would be willing to supply India with a single bullet in the next Sino-Indian border war?

"Involvement of other nations

During the conflict, Nehru wrote two desperate letters to JFK, requesting 12 squadrons of fighter jets. These jets were necessary to beef up Indian air strength so that an air war could be initiated safely from the Indian perspective. This request was rejected. According to former Indian diplomat G Parthasarathy, "only after we got nothing from the US did arms supplies from the Soviet Union to India commence." [57] In 1962, President of Pakistan Ayub Khan made clear to India that Indian troops could safely be transferred from the Pakistan frontier to the Himalayas.[58]"

@ to Martian2

You don't have any new arguments for the debate on Islands are made under official administrative of Vietnam from long time. Vietnam has been controlled it as recognized by international law and regulation worldwide accepted. China have to respect also EZZ of Vietnam under UNCLOS are signed by China. Your post obve is no thing more than threatening and bulling Vietnam.

11vietnam-articleLarge.jpg

Hanoi (AsiaNews) – As it prepares to survey the Spratly Islands for oil and gas, China continues to chase Vietnamese fishing boats. In a few days, the Association of South East Asia Nations (ASEAN) will meet for its annual summit on security. The territorial disputes between China and other nations over the islands in the South China Sea will be on its agenda.

Fishermen from the Vietnamese province of Quang Ngai reported on Saturday that a Chinese naval ship, bearing the number 44861, “threatened a Vietnamese fishing boat, numbered QNG- 98868TS, with machine guns. About ten Chinese sailors boarded the vessel and beat Vietnamese fishermen and seized about a tonne of fish”.

In China, media have reported the arrival of Ocean 981, a deepwater drilling platform. It is 650 metres long, 136 metres high, and has a load of 30,000 tonnes. It can drill at depths of 1,500-3,000 metres, and ha operational costs of about a US$ 1 million a day.

By engaging in such a survey, China is staking its claim to the area. Experts believe the South China Sea has an estimated equivalent of around 35-50 billion tonnes in oil and gas, second only to the Persian Gulf.

Beijing has been aggressive in claiming sovereignty over the Spratly and Paracel Islands, which Vietnam has been exploiting for more than a thousand years for its fishing and other resources. China sent its ships into the area for the first time in 1974.

At that time, the islands were controlled by the Saigon-based Republic of Vietnam, whilst China had good relations with Communist-controlled North Vietnam, whose capital was in Hanoi.

Vietnam now wants the issue of sovereignty to be debated in an international forum and has called on the United States and ASEAN to play a role in finding a peaceful solution through negotiations that would also guarantee free shipping in the sea.

Meanwhile, Vietnam and the United States are involved in joint naval exercises (15-21 July) that do not include actual arms exercises but involve sports and civilian exchanges.

China has always rejected third parties in its bilateral relations. However, Beijing has never engaged Vietnam directly, except by sending its own ships into disputed areas. It has called on Washington to reconsider planned joint activities with Hanoi. Conversely, Vietnam wants to strengthen trade and other ties with the United States.

Under the circumstances, Hanoi hopes that ASEAN, which meets in a few days time in Bali, will provide a forum for a diplomatic solution. In addition to ASEAN members (Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Laos and Myanmar), China, the United States, Japan, Australia and other nations will participate.

Experts believe China will reject any international approach to a matter that involves its maritime space, which it views crucial for national security.

Tokyo is also involved in maritime disputes with Beijing. Japanese foreign ministry spokesman Satoru Satoh recently said that his government hoped for constructive discussion in Bali on the South China Sea issue.

"We recognise that the issue of the South China Sea is a matter of common interest for the international community," he said.

http://http://www.asianews.it/news-en/South-China-Sea:-Vietnam-wants-ASEAN-as-forum-for-negotiations-22126.html

Vietnam is a very weak country with a $94 billion economy. It is facing a monstrous China with a $7 trillion economy and an annual $100 billion military budget.

Please note China's $100 billion military budget is larger than Vietnam's entire GDP. Also, China is a full spectrum military power. My point is a practical one. Why do you Vietnamese keep whining?

If China decides to step on you, you get stepped on. There's nothing you can do.

Tell you what, I'll show you some of China's military weapons. You can show me some of Vietnam's best military weapons. And we'll let the reader decide whether Vietnam has a chance against China or not.

aJwZr.jpg

Type 99 Main Battle Tank

B83lE.jpg

WZ-10 Attack Helicopter

OWpnS.jpg

J-10 Air Superiority Fighter

qju5G.jpg

KJ-200 AEW&C (i.e. Airborne Early Warning & Control)

ggGBo.jpg

KJ-2000 AWACS (i.e. Airborne Warning and Control System)

0Qjgp.jpg

Type 054A Jiangkai II Frigate

mzX1D.jpg

Type 052C Lanzhou-class Destroyer

RyGGh.jpg

Type 039 Song-class Diesel-electric Attack Submarine

poGP1.jpg

Type 093 Shang-class Nuclear Attack Submarine (SSN)

0W8cq.jpg

Type 094 Jin-class Nuclear Ballistic Missile Submarine (SSBN)

U6CPE.jpg

Anti-Ship Ballistic Missile (ASBM)

Tx6td.jpg

DF-11A Conventional Short-Range Ballistic Missile (SRBM)

jurtN.jpg

CJ-10 Land Attack Cruise Missile (LACM)

Nalcx.jpg

DF-31A Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM)

KViQz.jpg

Mid-course Ground Based Interceptor (GBI) [a highly-modified system based on HQ-9 seen here]

0W8cq.jpg

Type 094 Jin-class Nuclear Ballistic Missile Submarine (SSBN)

Bro, this is not the true Type 094, it was the damn western media who has misguided so many people.

China never showed any pic of the Type 094 yet.

Martian2 said:
Vietnam is a very weak country with a $94 billion economy. It is facing a monstrous China with a $7 trillion economy and an annual $100 billion military budget.

Please note China's $100 billion military budget is larger than Vietnam's entire GDP. Also, China is a full spectrum military power. My point is a practical one. Why do you Vietnamese keep whining?

If China decides to step on you, you get stepped on. There's nothing you can do.
Then try to set up a single guard point in SCS(East sea)first, if China have the guts. Action speak louder than words:coffee:
201210tuan04204842462.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom