What's new

Happy Bengali New Year

you serious? I was planning a trip to dhaka last year, did not realize it will cost me this much.
for bd national:
visa = 400 taka (fee = 0 for bd national but IVAC takes processing fee it seems)
BD passport = 3000 taka
bus fare to kol (return) = 1500 rupees
And I think I should add around 500 taka for bribes/facilitation fee.
@BDforever how much did it cost you?

Dhaka is expensive my friend..

Anyways I was talking about a family from a border village to come and get a passport then get a visa from Dhaka then they will be able to go to India. And the cost that I quoted is the lowest ballpark and I doubt they can manage with that kind of money.

Passport cost starts from 4500 Tk and for the poor who needs assistance from a broker and will end up paying 6-7000 taka per passport. Same story to avail a visa from Indian embassy where they have to visit twice. First they submit the passport to some place and the second day they will be called for interview. 90% of the cases, broker and inside people in Indian embassy will jack around 1000-2000 tk per passport to get the visa.

Holy crap!! I have read him. I find his stories very interesting but it is no way equal to Suneel or Samaresh. Have you read Sei somoy,Sat Kahon or Kal bela? Then you will know the difference.
Humayun Ahmed is a complete different type of writer and a trend setter.
Samaresh was highly influenced by Gorki but his writing was great. Never liked Sunil though (Not of my taste). Saying so, I am out of touch of any literature for the last 20 years. So cant say anything about recent publications. I heard Anisur Rahman writings are good.

Last edited:
Have you never heard of Ekushey Book Fair? It has great significance in every Bengali's life who speak Bangla. Kolkata Book fair is largest I know but has zero significance in Bengali culture but Ekushey book fair is the main book fair for Bengalis. Currently the space got more wider. Millions of Book are sold in this book fair.

Boimala20140117121317.jpg

Our Rezwana Chowdhury Bonnya teaches Rabindra Sangeet to you West Bengalis and you say we have no contribution ! LMFAOOO. What a joke! :o:

bonna.jpg

Kolkata Book fair has a special status of being an International Book Fair, a handful of book fairs have such a status, it is organized as per the international schedule and visited by many foreigners, thereby spreading knowledge about Bengalis and their literature across the globe. Same for films also.

And Rabindra Sangeet is again ours, Rabindranath was never a Bangladeshi citizen. :D

Many students from foreign countries come to Shantiniketan to learn about Bengali culture and knowledge, Bangladesh has nothing comparable to Shantiniketan. We are the true Bengalis. :chilli:

Kolkata Book fair has a special status of being an International Book Fair, a handful of book fairs have such a status, it is organized as per the international schedule and visited by many foreigners, thereby spreading knowledge about Bengalis and their literature across the globe. Same for films also.

And Rabindra Sangeet is again ours, Rabindranath was never a Bangladeshi citizen. :D

Many students from foreign countries come to Shantiniketan to learn about Bengali culture and knowledge, Bangladesh has nothing comparable to Shantiniketan. We are the true Bengalis. :chilli:

Kolkata has nothing much to do these days. They nag center for funding for this and for that. Arrange a book fair which is good by the way where BD stalls draw the biggest attention.

We have Chayanot, We have Bangla academy, We have 'International Language Institute'. Rabindranath has his biggest house in Bangladesh. He spent 20 years in Bangladesh. He is as much ours as yours.

Our Humayun Ahmed, Mohammad Zafar Iqbal, Anisul Haque, Shamsul Haque and more are better than low standard Kolkatan novelists. :chilli:

We have Chayanot, We have Bangla academy, We have 'International Language Institute'. Rabindranath has his biggest house in Bangladesh. He spent 20 years in Bangladesh. He is as much ours as yours.

Our Humayun Ahmed, Mohammad Zafar Iqbal, Anisul Haque, Shamsul Haque and more are better than low standard Kolkatan novelists. :chilli:

Rabindranath never lived in Bangladesh, Bangladesh was not there. and Bengali literature is far better than Bangladeshi literature, the whole world knows it. :D

It is the dream of Bangladeshi writers & singers to be recognized by the Kolkatans, for real Bengalis Kolkata is like what Lords is for cricket or Vatican is for Catholics. :D

Rabindranath never lived in Bangladesh, Bangladesh was not there. and Bengali literature is far better than Bangladeshi literature, the whole world knows it. :D

It is the dream of Bangladeshi writers & singers to be recognized by the Kolkatans, for real Bengalis Kolkata is like what Lords is for cricket or Vatican is for Catholics. :D

Bengali literature is also part of Bangladeshi literature. Do you know 'Amar Shonar Bangla' (My Golden Bengal) was written by Rabindranath especially to address East Bengal (Bangladesh)? He lived in this part of the Bengal for 20 years and so mesmerized by the beauty of East Bengal that when British decided to divide it from West Bengal Rabindranath wrote 'My Golden Bengal' - 'Amar Shonar Bangla'. He didn't write it for West Bengal. The whole world knows it Bangladesh represents Bengal. :D West Bengal is f**cking state of a country but We can proudly say if asked that we are from a country - Bangla Desh (Nation of Bengal). :D

Last edited:
Bengali literature is also part of Bangladeshi literature. Do you know 'Amar Shonar Bangla' (My Golden Bengal) was written by Rabindranath especially to address East Bengal (Bangladesh)? He lived in this part of the Bengal for 20 years and so mesmerized by the beauty of East Bengal that when British decided to divide it from West Bengal Rabindranath wrote 'My Golden Bengal' - 'Amar Shonar Bangla'. He didn't write it for West Bengal. The whole world knows it Bangladesh represents Bengal. :D West Bengal is f**cking state of a country but We can say if asked that we are from a country - Bangla Desh. :D
Hmmm Rabindranath Tagore? :azn:
@aazidane @idune @khair_ctg - What does the regular Bangladeshi feel about Rabindranath Tagore? :D

Bengali literature is also part of Bangladeshi literature. Do you know 'Amar Shonar Bangla' (My Golden Bengal) was written by Rabindranath especially to address East Bengal (Bangladesh)? He lived in this part of the Bengal for 20 years and so mesmerized by the beauty of East Bengal that when British decided to divide it from West Bengal Rabindranath wrote 'My Golden Bengal' - 'Amar Shonar Bangla'. He didn't write it for West Bengal. The whole world knows it Bangladesh represents Bengal. :D West Bengal is f**cking state of a country but We can proudly say if asked that we are from a country - Bangla Desh (Nation of Bengal). :D

Kabiguru Rabindranath was fortunate enough to pass away in 1941 before partition, had he been alive, the sheer brutality of Bengalis against Bengalis in the name of religion in 1946 and afterwards would have killed him as a heart-broken man. And I can only shudder at the thought of what might have happened to him had he been alive and residing at Shilaidaha in present Bangladesh at the time of partition. :)

Bengalis are tolerant, liberal, & cultured people who are intelligent enough not to be blinded by religious bigotry & hatred, Bangaliyana died in the eastern part of Bengal the day they decided to cut themselves off from a large part of the Bengalis by dividing Bengal and decided to live as East Pakistanis on the basis of their religion. :)

Even today some Bengalis are having a tough time there for being religious minorities, That's why we can safely say that Bangaliyana is safely preserved only in the western part of Bengal, eastern part, which is now known as Bangladesh, has lost the true essence of Bangaliyana long back. :-)

On topic---

10155606_617766841631971_1955140784835950497_n.jpg

Amarkhana border turns into ‘Milon Mela’ of Bangalees
Many could not check their tears as they saw near and dear ones after such a long time

The photo taken from Amarkanda border in Panchagarh yesterday shows that Bangladeshis talk to their relatives living in India

Bengali is only a secondary identity, the important & relevant part is their religious identity, and they are paying the price probably for being at the wrong side of the land, or maybe for being at the wrong side of the religion, right? :-)

Last edited:
In assam, it is celebrate as bohag bihu on 14th.

BTW. @IamBengali , why do Muslim Bangladesh celebrate such pagan festival?

Bangladesh has two biggest festivals. Eid and Poila Boishakh.

Here its celebrated as Bengali festival. Hindus do their religious customs and Muslims do celebrate Bengali new year by rally, making masks, live concerts etc. Bangladeshi Muslim Bengalis celebrate it with way more festivity than Eid. We also celebrate Eid with joy but Bengali New Year is something else for Bangladeshis. Even West Bengalis don't celebrate it as grand as Bangladeshis do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom