What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be more than just a TD with Air intakes slightly redesigned for better air flow to increase AOA. The Plane which would be delivered to IAF be based on this

Actually the AoA isn't that of an issue and it will be dealt at the moment with new flight control systems integrated into the latest prototypes. Tejas achieved 22° for the IOC if I remember correctly, while the aim was 24° and compared to other fighters the difference isn't that much either (Mirage 2000 26°, Gripen limited to the same, Rafale and EF to 30+°).
The changes on the air intake to increase the airflow are needed for the new GE 414 engine and that will fix the problems with drag, which limits LCA Vmax today.

Actually the AoA isn't that of an issue and it will be dealt at the moment with new flight control systems integrated into the latest prototypes. Tejas achieved 22° for the IOC if I remember correctly, while the aim was 24° and compared to other fighters the difference isn't that much either (Mirage 2000 26°, Gripen limited to the same, Rafale and EF to 30+°).
The changes on the air intake to increase the airflow are needed for the new GE 414 engine and that will fix the problems with drag, which limits LCA Vmax today.

Well wasn't that blamed on the low thrust produced by the Ge 404 engine? I think the AoA might exceed 24 degrees with the new FCS and engine. But I dont thing the Tejas is going to enter int a turning fight because of the inherent energy bleeding of the delta wing design.

Well wasn't that blamed on the low thrust produced by the Ge 404 engine?
No, the GE 404 engine offers more than enough thrust (more thrust than Gripen C/D or JF 17 B1), but the LCA turned out to be heavier and as it seems more draggy than planned and that's why IAF wanted more thrust to achieve the development goals. IN on the other hand wanted increased internal fuel, which was important for their N-LCA re-design and operating it from a STOBAR carrier.

1981-2013
its a more than 30 years of time
shameful progress

Can you elaborate on how LCA MK-ii will "a different ball game"?

Still very speculative. But as we know LCA at present barely makes it to a 4th gen category. The Mk II is expected to bring it closer to gen 4.5 specs using modifications on the existing airframe and bringing in advanced radar and weapon systems.
While again, it's not meant to be a strike/air superiority aircraft, Mk2 is expected to be a very lethal interceptor custom made for the Himalayan battlefield.

1981-2013
its a more than 30 years of time
shameful progress

Yawn! old rant.... When was fund released for LCA???? It took 10 years for govt to approve LCA. Fund was released 12 years after first LCA was thought (1981)....

Still very speculative. But as we know LCA at present barely makes it to a 4th gen category. The Mk II is expected to bring it closer to gen 4.5 specs using modifications on the existing airframe and bringing in advanced radar and weapon systems.
While again, it's not meant to be a strike/air superiority aircraft, Mk2 is expected to be a very lethal interceptor custom made for the Himalayan battlefield.

Do you really know that what are the classifications of a 4.5th generation aircraft?
United States defines 4.5 generation fighter aircraft as fourth generation jet fighters that have been upgraded with AESA radar, high capacity data-link, enhanced avionics, and "the ability to deploy current and reasonably foreseeable advanced armaments

As far as i know the AESA radar for Tejas is nowhere in the picture ,it was once when Israel was ready to provide it but later prohibitations were put on the demand of US, other characteristics are also bit ambiguous

Do you really know that what are the classifications of a 4.5th generation aircraft?
United States defines 4.5 generation fighter aircraft as fourth generation jet fighters that have been upgraded with AESA radar, high capacity data-link, enhanced avionics, and "the ability to deploy current and reasonably foreseeable advanced armaments

As far as i know the AESA radar for Tejas is nowhere in the picture ,it was once when Israel was ready to provide it but later prohibitations were put on the demand of US, other characteristics are also bit ambiguous

mk-2 will have an aesa radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom