What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
best ov luck indian hope fully its series production will start in 2015 :P

Tejas’ LCA Undergoes Weapons Trials in Rajasthan for Final Clearance

The induction of the ‘Tejas’ Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) with complete features and capabilities into the Indian Air force (IAF) is drawing nearer as weapon trials of the LCA are being conducted in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan. While the ‘Tejas’ LCA inducted into the IAF in the Initial Operational Clearance (IOC) configuration this year, the final operational clearance (FOC) from the IAF by end of this year after successful trials.

According to the state-run Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO), the current trials being conducted in the firing range of Jaisalmer in Rajasthan includes firing air-to-air missiles to test its capability to bring down hostile planes. As part of its first phase trials to fire bombs and missiles, ‘Tejas’ LCA underwent tests of its aerial skills and various other tests will continue till the end of this month during which the indigenously developed fighter plane will fire laser-guided bombs. A series of tests will be held in different conditions, DRDO officials added.

The ‘Tejas’ LCA will be put to intensive weapons trials at several locations including mountainous terrains before it receives its FOC. The trials will continue till the end of this month and ‘Tejas’ LCA is likely to be cleared for operational service by end of 2012. IAF has also decided to induct a total of over 7 squadrons (120 aircraft) of the advanced version of the fighter aircraft, LCA MK-II with upgraded system and capabilities. The single-engine, multi-role fighter is powered by the US General Electric's GE-F-404-IN-20 engines. Apart from the two squadrons (40 aircraft) for which it has placed orders, the IAF is expected to acquire five more squadrons (100 aircraft). The second lot would be powered by the more powerful GE-F414 engines for which the DRDO placed orders late last year. Earlier this year, it was revealed that the first test-flight of the Tejas Mark-II version, with the powerful American GE F-414 engines, can only occur only by December 2014.

The ‘Tejas’ LCA is single-engine, multi-role, supersonic fighter plane with tactical capabilities designed for better maneuverability. It can be armed with air-to-air, air-to-ground and anti-ship missiles, precision-guided munitions, rockets and bombs. Drop tanks can also be carried. The design and development of LCA is being conducted by the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) as the main contractor.

‘Tejas’ LCA, along with Indian Defence Ministry, DRDO and HAL have faced serious criticism due to the shortcomings in the project. The ‘Tejas’ project is almost three decades late and the mega cost inflation has seen the developmental cost of the project including the price of each aircraft to be manufactured skyrocket to $ 3.8 billion from the initial $ 124.5 million in the early 1980s. Besides, the ‘Tejas’ LCA is only around 60 per cent indigenous and it is powered by American GE engines since the indigenous Kaveri engine was not powerful enough. Besides that, even with the advanced Tejas Mark-II version to be readied by 2016, it will still fall behind top combat aircraft in the IAF fleet including Sukhoi-MKI, Multi-medium role combat aircraft (MMRCA) and the fifth-generation fighter aircraft (FGFA) which IAF will have in the near future.

Tejas LCA Undergoes Weapons Trials in Rajasthan for Final Clearance - Defence Now

I'm surprised that India is still testing this plane. I thought the series production had started this year. I was totally wrong.

They have set user trials before march 2012,,,,,, completed weapons trials and going for high altitude weapons trials,,,,,, IAF is really going to rock !!!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I never heard of on ground wepons testing of a fighter!
simply mentioning wepoons test would have been fine!
Why stress on high altitude?

very much necessary. high altitude operation is not a cup of tea for every fighter aircraft. remember mirage's successful high altitude ops during kargil war? just trying to make sure that LCA stands the test, should they require to do similar kinda ops.... just in case!!

Because taking off with weapons from our Himalayan region is very different compared to taking off with weapons from say an IAF base in Punjab or Rajasthan. Due to this variable terrain, IAF tests are usually cumbersome such that all our fighters suit our diverse terrains and atmospheric conditions.

---------- Post added at 04:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 AM ----------

I'm surprised that India is still testing this plane. I thought the series production had started this year. I was totally wrong.

The testing is usually endless. It continues even after induction in our case. Like our ballistic missiles; many of them have been long inducted but regular testing is done. Due to so many tests, we never know when one is being inducted and when one is ALREADY inducted. :lol:

---------- Post added at 04:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 AM ----------

best ov luck indian hope fully its series production will start in 2015 :P

Two years before the timeline you mention. 2015 is the timeline for the Mk.2 to start which will be a totally different ballgame.

Because taking off with weapons from our Himalayan region is very different compared to taking off with weapons from say an IAF base in Punjab or Rajasthan. Due to this variable terrain, IAF tests are usually cumbersome such that all our fighters suit our diverse terrains and atmospheric conditions.

---------- Post added at 04:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 AM ----------

The testing is usually endless. It continues even after induction in our case. Like our ballistic missiles; many of them have been long inducted but regular testing is done. Due to so many tests, we never know when one is being inducted and when one is ALREADY inducted. :lol:

---------- Post added at 04:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 AM ----------

Two years before the timeline you mention. 2015 is the timeline for the Mk.2 to start which will be a totally different ballgame.

Can you elaborate on how LCA MK-ii will "a different ball game"?

[/COLOR]

If that is the case, I think India should concentrating on Western weapons. India won't have to worry about keeping on testing them as they were already tested in the battlefields. Don't get the Russian stuff as they were only proven to be shot down by western planes in most battle fields.

I believe the reason India has invested so much money in this project without shutting it down is due to the design of this fighter .Its not a very easy job to design a light fighter aircraft as the smaller mass is very susceptible to turbulent flows of wind. BUT what this design generates is a very low radar cross section. Remember what US general said regarding MIG 21 bis, that how it is practically invisible to legacy F-16 radars. Well this aircraft has even lower RCS. This fact might not be highlighted now but wait until .......

If that is the case, I think India should concentrating on Western weapons. India won't have to worry about keeping on testing them as they were already tested in the battlefields. Don't get the Russian stuff as they were only proven to be shot down by western planes in most battle fields.

Just like taiwan ??I mean even to change tires of their F16 ,they need amerikan nod .??Western weapons are according to their needs ,our weapons according to our need..

Taiwan banked on US to provide you weapons..what happened when US buckled under the Chinese pressure and refused to give you any weapon.India does not want that situation

So finally you came to straight point and acted as a true sales boy.. Why you all the time try to say sweet words before showing original colours.. instead you can come to any thread and paste the same thing.. after all, the conclusion of your every post is "buy western.." which you too know wont be true in all... :no:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom