What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
There Are Issues, But We're Reasonable Happy: IAF Vice Chief On Tejas IOC (via livefist)

I asked IAF vice chief Air Marshal PK Barbora this morning about rumoured issues that the service had with the LCA Tejas IOC parameters.

Here's his reply in full: "Any venture of this nature, making a product from scratch always takes time. It is not only in India, even Western countries have taken 15-20 years to produce an aircraft.

India's first venture has taken time. Ultimately, we are reaching the goal that we had looked for. Albeit a little late, but it's coming through and it will definitely help us move into the future.

[Regarding the specific issue of IOC], there are no serious problems that we visualise that cannot be tackled. There are issues. For the IOC part of it, we are quite reasonably happy.

Hopefully by the end of next year, we would have formed the first squadron. We would have flown the requisite number of hours which we have stipulated for ourselves. For stability, we are planning initially to have them in Bangalore. Teething problems will be there. But we will resolve them."

IAF 'reasonably happy' with LCA Tejas: Barbora

6329267724d19cef80651d.jpg

NEW DELHI (PTI): The Indian Air Force Tuesday said it is "reasonably happy" with the lightweight multirole aircraft fighter 'Tejas', which is expected to obtain the Initial Operational Clearance next month, though there are certain issues to be sorted out yet.

"There are no serious problems that we visualise that can't be tackled. There are issues and it is a joint venture... For the IOC part of it, we are quite reasonably happy," IAF Vice Chief Air marshal P K Barbora told reporters here.

He was asked whether the force was happy with the indigenously-developed LCA 'Tejas', which is expected to obtain IOC in January next year after which it would be ready for induction into the IAF.

Barbora said though the programme has come a "little late", it would help India achieve the goal of designing and developing a fighter aircraft indigenously. It would also help in future projects, he said.

The IAF Vice Chief said the first squadron of the LCA is likely to be formed by the end of next year at Sulur in Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu.

"Initially, for the sake of stability the aircraft would be based in Bangalore itself, hopefully, the teething problems, which will be there, would be resolved," he added.

The IAF is expected to induct two squadrons of the aircraft by the middle of next year.

The aircraft has been manufactured by HAL at its Bangalore facility and its designer DRDO's Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) is also based there.

Asked how many LCAs are being planned to be inducted by the IAF, Barbora said, "We have ordered for 40 at the moment and we would further look into the issue after the LCA Mk II is ready."

ADA and HAL are also working on developing the LCA Mk II, which would equipped with the GE-414 engines.

Asked to comment on the status of the M-MRCA programme, the IAF Vice Chief said the IAF had submitted its report on the field evaluation trials with the Defence Ministry around six months ago.

Under the deal expected to be worth over USD 11 billion, IAF is planning to procure 126 multi-role combat aircraft for which six aircraft including F-16, F/A-18, Gripen, Eurofighter, Rafale and the MiG 35 are in the race.

IAF 'reasonably happy' with LCA Tejas: Barbora - Brahmand.com

IAF 'reasonably happy' with LCA Tejas: Barbora

"Initially, for the sake of stability the aircraft would be based in Bangalore itself, hopefully, the teething problems, which will be there, would be resolved," he added.
teething problems ..!

integration of BVR missiles , r-77?
angle of attack..?

teething problems ..!
Yeah, i also looked into this....no more info.
But the thing is AF is not buying any more mk I, they are looking towards mkII.
In my opinion, if that also doesnot go well, then i think we should opt for Gripen. No need to settle for mediocre products when world class offers are with us. We have the offer to sell Gripen as our own product. How about that ?/ :)
Also what are the features of Naval LCA, I mean is it gonna based on mkI or mkII ?? I know some features which will be there as it will be AC borne fighter.
But we have to seriously consider its capability as it would be placed on our AC. What if its not capable to defend our AC ?/ Losing an AC would be very bad for India in case of a war.
I mean we have to seriously evaluate what we have created before induction, even if it hurts somebody's ego.
HAL has no doubt made a good fighter, this knowledge will definitely help us in future but that doesnot mean we have to purchase whatever HAL and DRDO makes.
Even Russia made Su30 but they never inducted them. They will induct PakFA.
We also should consider all points as it is about our national security. We should also go only for what is best for us.

Yeah, i also looked into this....no more info.
But the thing is AF is not buying any more mk I, they are looking towards mkII.
In my opinion, if that also doesnot go well, then i think we should opt for Gripen. No need to settle for mediocre products when world class offers are with us. We have the offer to sell Gripen as our own product. How about that ?/ :)
Also what are the features of Naval LCA, I mean is it gonna based on mkI or mkII ?? I know some features which will be there as it will be AC borne fighter.
But we have to seriously consider its capability as it would be placed on our AC. What if its not capable to defend our AC ?/ Losing an AC would be very bad for India in case of a war.
I mean we have to seriously evaluate what we have created before induction, even if it hurts somebody's ego.
HAL has no doubt made a good fighter, this knowledge will definitely help us in future but that doesnot mean we have to purchase whatever HAL and DRDO makes.
Even Russia made Su30 but they never inducted them. They will induct PakFA.
We also should consider all points as it is about our national security. We should also go only for what is best for us.

Dude, we will be inducting a mix of Mig-29k and naval-Tejas on two aircraft carriers.
I think you are aware of the capabilities of Mig-29ks.
Naval Tejas will be a complementary with Migs.
Mig-29k will be our main fighter.
Also carriers are well protected by CBGs(Carrier Battle Group).

How many air bases we have in south? Only sulur?, I think Blore base is not equipped with fighter jets now.

All the shores in South India is open to any attack now..

Even If LCA stationed at Sulur, is it possible to reach to Palk strait or Lakshwadeep to support'?

"LCA-Navy Not What We Want, But It's Ours": FONA

EDD61425776B24B7D2CA1DF91CA6.jpg

"It may not be what we want, but it is our own aircraft," says the Indian Navy's Flag Officer Naval Aviation (FONA) Rear Admiral Sudhir Pillai on the LCA Navy in an interview to FORCE magazine. He was asked how effective the LCA Navy would be for a carrier-based role given that it "only an eight ton platform". The officer's response: "I wish wish we could straightaway develop a Rafale. But seriously, we have to look at the Indian Navy and it commitment towards indigenisation. I agree that we have made a modest start, but it has been a huge learning experience. LCA Navy will remain a modest platform with an uprated engine which will give us adequate capability at sea. While it is easy to buy from abroad, sometimes it is extremely difficult to support those platforms. Our past experiences tell us that it is worth committing resources to develop our own assets."

Also, unless the LCA Navy decides to fly tomorrow or the day after, looks like it will be missing its December first flight schedule. What a pity.

Livefist - Indian Defence & Aerospace: "LCA-Navy Not What We Want, But It's Ours": FONA

Dude, we will be inducting a mix of Mig-29k and naval-Tejas on two aircraft carriers.
Dude, first look at the no.of fighters we can station on our AC.

Also carriers are well protected by CBGs(Carrier Battle Group).
I know this , i never meant that fighter jets will sink the AC. Its not possible, but they can do considerable surface damage forcing it to be decommissioned.
I think you are aware of the capabilities of Mig-29ks.
I am just saying we should be prepared for the worst. Everybody is making purchases of fighters like f16.
Even navy is saying in low volume that they don't need Naval LCA, what they want is naval rafale but nobody listens to them.

Good news.....What is the progress on Kaveri-Snecma engine ??/

Its Cancelled..... GTRE Has Single crystal Blade technology in hands now, It can Pace ahead with Kaveri now, But it would be good if going for a JV with Snecma

Cost To Develop Tejas Mk-2: $542-million

tejas2.jpg

The Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), which oversees the development of India's Light Combat Aircraft Tejas programme will be sanctioned $542.44-million (Rs 2431.55-crore) to develop the Tejas Mk-2, making up Phase-III of the programme's full scale engineering development (FSED).

Also, the deadline for final operational clearance for the Tejas Mk-1 is December 2012.

( from livefist)

Last edited:
Cost To Develop Tejas Mk-2: $542-million

tejas2.jpg

The Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), which oversees the development of India's Light Combat Aircraft Tejas programme will be sanctioned $542.44-million (Rs 2431.55-crore) to develop the Tejas Mk-2, making up Phase-III of the programme's full scale engineering development (FSED). Also, the deadline for final operational clearance for the Tejas Mk-1 is December 2012.

Livefist - Indian Defence & Aerospace: Cost To Develop Tejas Mk-2: $542-million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom