What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far we understand, it is ready for IOC, they are ready, may be awaiting our Neta's date to unveil

Deccan Herald confirming the Jan 10 date for the induction of LCA. Maybe only the IOC will be granted in DEC.

LCA to be inducted next month

The first Tejas squadron will receive its initial operational clearance at a function on January 10, catapulting India to a select club of nations that built a fighter plane from scratch. The historic first squadron will be stationed at Sulur near Coimbatore, sources said. Defence Minister A Kantony will be present at the function.

Here is some extra info which I found interesting.

The second LCA squadron will be stationed at Kayathir near Tuticorin, where the IAF is developing a new fighter base. The small World War II base will be converted into a major aviation hub in a few years.

LCA to be inducted next month

After three decades of development, the first squadron of indigenous light combat aircraft (LCA) Tejas is all set to be inducted into the Indian Air Force(IAF) next month.

The first Tejas squadron will receive its initial operational clearance at a function on January 10, catapulting India to a select club of nations that built a fighter plane from scratch. The historic first squadron will be stationed at Sulur near Coimbatore, sources said. Defence Minister A Kantony will be present at the function.

Even though the development began in 1983, the first LCA technology demonstrator flew only in 2001. Four years later, the IAF placed the first order of 20 Tejas at a cost of Rs 2,700 crore. Subsequently, it placed an order for another squadron.

The second LCA squadron will be stationed at Kayathir near Tuticorin, where the IAF is developing a new fighter base. The small World War II base will be converted into a major aviation hub in a few years.

After receiving the initial operational clearance, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) will manufacture the first 20 Tejas aircraft in two batches of 10 planes each.

So far, HAL has manufactured two technology demonstrators, five prototypes and 28 limited series production aircraft with imported engine. However, HAL will continue to upgrade the indigenous fighter as the IAF plans to induct close to 200 LCAs and 20 twin seater trainer versions in the long run.

Along with the 126 medium multi-role combat aircraft and fifth generation fighter aircraft LCA will be one of the mainstay planes of the IAF in the coming decades. The mark I planes will be inducted by 2014.

The mark II version of the LCA with a more powerful engine, better aerodynamics and advanced avionics is also under development. The naval version of the LCA, to be used in aircraft carriers, are also under development. Most of the delay in the LCA programme was due to the technical difficulties and resource crunch faced by the research team under defence research and development organisation.

The problem was compounded by the sanctioned imposed by the US in 1998 following Pokhran II. All of a sudden, scientists found that the door was shut on them and many key components and equipment needed for producing a fighter plane was simply not available. Subsequently, they had to develop those sub-systems as well.

The booming IT industry in Bangalore and Hyderabad also contributed to the woes of the LCA team with many young and mid-career engineers and technical hands leaving the LCA industry in search of greener pastures.

Only after placing the order in 2005 that the IAF stationed a 14-member LCA induction team, headed by an Air Vice Marshal in Bangalore to steer the indigenous fighter to its destination.

So far, HAL has manufactured two technology demonstrators, five prototypes and 28 limited series production aircraft with imported engine

is it 28 or 8 ?

HEY guyz today at mid day, i clicked MI 17 taking off from THANE AIRFORCE STATION,simply wanna share with you all
Picture080.jpg

Last edited:
nothing can be done till they do some thing regarding the angle of attack until they fix the problem IAF will not accept

HEY guyz today at mid day, i clicked MI 17 taking off from THANE AIRFORCE STATION,simply wanna share with you all
Picture080.jpg

Bhai Saab..Kahan rahte ho aap..??

Keep posting such pics..:tup:

Tejas' IOC saga: It’s a light, late, yet great story!

Tejas4.jpg

Tejas1.jpg

It’s now official. India’s Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas will be given the initial operational clearance (IOC) in January 2011 and not on December 27. However, Tejas’ makers at the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) are burning the mid-night oil to get the platform and systems certified through the Centre for Military Airworthiness and Certification (CEMILAC), as per the original December-27 deadline.“As of now, we have fixed it has January 10 and this again is a verbal confirmation and nothing is in yet, in black and white. There are a host of VIPs who are scheduled to attend the event in Bangalore, including Defense Minister A.K. Antony. A final decision will be taken next week,” military sources tell Tarmak007. While ADA-DRDO is still working out the final template of the event, there are multiple theories floating as to what the event would be finally called. While one set claims that it would be called Release to Service, another school of thought says it will be ‘Dedication of Tejas to Nation.’ Then there’s a ‘third front’ which firmly believes that it can’t be called IOC as there are a couple of more platforms from the Tejas flight-line to be flown\tested and hence it has to be IOC-1.Says a top source at ADA: “Release to Service of a product whose standard of preparation is for IOC. We are about to finish what was demanded. When an aircraft reaches the final phase, there will be some minor issues. This is not an Indian phenomenon, but seen world over.”
And, here are some confirmations:
1) The squadron formation of Tejas will most likely happen only in mid-2011.
2) The first platform (SP-1) from the initial block of 20 will be ready only by June\July 2011.
3) LSP-7 and LSP-8 will be ready only in March/April 2011.
4) Test pilots from IAF’s elite Bangalore-based unit -- Aircraft System and Testing Establishment (ASTE) -- will fly Tejas soon after all IOC formalities are done.
5) Pilots from IAF will have to undergo the following before flying Tejas: intensive simulation training, studying the flight manuals and grasping the flight reference records. The pilots will also be given familiarization sessions.
“Normally our (IAF) Test pilots will have 2,000-3,000 hours of flying logged against their names. Squadron pilots will not\might not have this kind of expertise (w.r.t. number of hours as against test pilots) and hence pre-flight preparations become very vital. We will start with our evaluation trials with Test pilots (other than NFTC pilots). We have many experienced boys and some were up there flying the MMRCAs during the trials,” a senior IAF official tells Tarmak007.Insiders confirm that the morale of Team Tejas is sky high with 98 per cent of certification process completed when this blog goes live on X-Mas eve. “By December 27, we will have one more flight of LSP-5 to test some points. We are ready. No issues with the dates spilling over to next year,” says an engineer with CEMILAC.Interestingly, another IAF official, who attended a meeting of Tejas think-tank on December 21 in New Delhi, says the program as complex as Tejas, will have some last-minute issues. “Having come this far, we are keen to ensure that everything is in place. But, the truth is they (ADA-HAL) have asked for some concessions and we have given it, after discussions,” he said.So folks! Independent-India’s first home-grown fighter plane is ready.It’s light! But it’s late! OK. Agreed. But, isn’t it great?

Bhai Saab..Kahan rahte ho aap..??

Keep posting such pics..:tup:

Thane airforce stn!!dint i ever told you that my father is in indian airforce lol. I got lots of pics of up closeup personlise pics of Su30k when they were 1st inducted but problem is they all are photographs as they taken long back in 1998 and am too lazy to get them scanned yaar.

Thane airforce stn!!dint i ever told you that my father is in indian airforce lol. I got lots of pics of up closeup personlise pics of Su30k when they were 1st inducted but problem is they all are photographs as they taken long back in 1998 and am too lazy to get them scanned yaar.

Thane has got airforce station ? Blimmme....where exactly ? My in laws stay in thane and i never knew about a airforce station......

Thane has got airforce station ? Blimmme....where exactly ? My in laws stay in thane and i never knew about a airforce station......

THANE AIRFORCE STATION ,KOLSHET ROAD ask ur in-law about kapurwadi mate ,he will tell you in details lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom