What's new

Gripen for Bangladesh?

JF-17 is the worst 4th generation fighter.

BD needs enough to defend against both India and Myanmar. JF-17 is not up to the mark.
Well but are we still not defending ourselves? I don't think that there will be any direct massive threat from india in near future .
Perhaps miyanmer is the main problem now. And they have ordered the Pakistani/Chinese aircraft too!
And we already have Chinese equipment. So for near future ( in order to counter miyanmer) it can be better imo if we have large numbers of fighters!
And also Gripen cost a lot ! Brazil bought 36 for 5.4 billion USD!
@UKBengali

Last edited:
2018..... and?
I don't want to/ can't explain , but I strongly believe that bangladesh will buy JF 17 after 2019 election.
Awami league politics now based on eye washing anti pakistan sentiment .
But once awami league win another election ( of course they will win ,without BNP or even BNP will participate in a nominal election where awami league will win again ) ,so they will be secured for another 5 years .If they buy Pakistan made aircraft they will be under serious problem from leftist thugs who propogate chetona/spirit of so called freedom war.

So that time there is no problem buying Pakistani made aircraft .
So I believe government is just taking time with many excuses.

I don't want to/ can't explain , but I strongly believe that bangladesh will buy JF 17 after 2019 election.
Awami league politics now based on eye washing anti pakistan sentiment .
But once awami league win another election ( of course they will win ,without BNP or even BNP will participate in a nominal election where awami league will win again ) ,so they will be secured for another 5 years .If they buy Pakistan made aircraft they will be under serious problem from leftist thugs who propogate chetona/spirit of so called freedom war.

You can bought FC 2000 from China directly more or less the same capabilities with JF 17

Cons:

1. Engine is US and so not sure if US will clear it for BD without unacceptable conditions( Sonadia base for US Navy?)
2. Sweden has a policy of no resupply for countries at war.

@Avicenna
@BDforever
@Species

The bolded part is disturbing. What is the point of buying military hardwares if there is no resupply ? Commissions for the government officials often play a big role in defense purchases and Sweden is not so accommodating when it comes to ‘commissions’.

The bolded part is disturbing. What is the point of buying military hardwares if there is no resupply ? Commissions for the government officials often play a big role in defense purchases and Sweden is not so accommodating when it comes to ‘commissions’.
I think that too a to prevent any taking sides that would ruin Sweden's place as the least hated country in the world.
It also encouraged the clients to buy more during peacetime.

Well but are we still not defending ourselves? I don't think that there will be any direct massive threat from india in near future .
Since you do not perceive any external threats in the near future, so, it is logical that BD dismantles all its armed forces, is not it? Re-building an armed forces when the country is threatened and blackmailed into submission will not be tooooo--- late, do not you think so? You really surpass the good ideas of other men.

Do you want us to believe that Pakistani planes are the only option for BD?

whats next? this one>
fb47c014c5359899f723b3b056e31d6e--star-ship-star-trek-ships.jpg

These are Inter-galactic Starships something the Indians used in Vedic times.

BD is only talking about mere Aircrafts.

Last edited:
Do you want us to believe that Pakistani planes are the only option for BD?
No when did I say that! I want better plans for bangladesh.But it looks they can't decide yet. Bangladesh air Force really need boost now.
So maybe low cost air craft can be good alternative.
I also said about indian Hal Tejas or such other low cost planes can be good to, not only pakistani JF 17 ! But since we need to fight either miyanmer or India so here no option to buy from India.
However personally my vote is for dassault rafale as I believe it's the best all-rounder . But will they buy them for it's delay delivery and high cost ?
I just wanted to say we need some good CAS aircraft as fast as possible.
Since you do not perceive any external threats in the near future, so, it is logical that BD dismantles all its armed forces, is not it? Re-building an armed forces when the country is threatened and blackmailed into submission will not be tooooo--- late, do not you think so? You really surpass the good ideas of other men.

Oh man!Not direct threat from India doesn't mean that I don't expect threat . Indian threat is to devour Bangladesh I believe. But miyanmer is already harassing us directly, crossing our air space but don't know the real amount of air craft BAF has,so I thought inexpensive jets can be good way in order to counter miyanmer.
And not expecting bigger direct threat that doesn't mean that we need to dismantle all military and build new one. Wow you are being sarcastic, while I expected good opinions from you.
However I believe Bangladesh should make it's own aircraft ( joint project) in future . So we can think of spending much money on such project !

Last edited:
When you compare it to JF-17, it is costly - about twice as much per plane.
No comparison in capability though.

True.

But with all due respect, Gripen and JF-17 are not in the same league as far as maturity. Like you said- not only in capability, but also in so many other areas such as design, reliability, MTBF and maintenance options. JF-17 is a great fighter but it needs to mature in operations and is yet unproven in daily use.

SAAB started with Lansens back in the fifties (four generation of fighters ago, Lansen->Draken->Viggen->Gripen), and all of them were about twenty years ahead of their respective contemporary fighter offerings at the times of their induction.

As far as capability to operate from two-lane roads in wartime (Runways bombed out), tough engine reliability in minus sixty degree weather (I know, probably not as important for us but good to know), design of maintenance points and regime, modular weapons change-out and many other factors appreciated by hardened operations people to keep these birds operational, SAAB fighters know no parallel. That is what counts and matters in day-to-day operations, not slim marginal claims of superior performance or flashy claims of obscure features not important in actual use.

Scandinavian planning and thinking are on another level compared to thinking from other countries. And don't forget how they always supported us, with our NGOs, our civil society values, our industry and our economy. We owe the Scandinavians (especially Swedes) something in return to support their economy.

If someone asks me - I will always pay a few dollars extra and go with Gripen. The question is (as mentioned already) whether they will sell the fighters to us with as little strings attached (and with support fulfillment as promised). Other than Brazil, the Thais have these and are reportedly happy with them as you can see in the video below.

First,second or even third hand.
It still costs more than cars in India.
Due to the high price of cars and heavy traffic people are reluctant in buying cars.
Well these are just simple logic which you lack.

What is telling is that Bangladeshis would rather buy a refurbished five year old Premio rather than the best brand new Indian sedan which has been available in Bangladesh for four decades. At twice the cost for a used Premio. Now what does that tell about the quality of Indian cars. In Bangladesh yearly sale of Indian sedans are under a hundred (a few dozen is my best guess).

No Bangladeshi would be caught DEAD being seen in any Indian-made car. No offense but it is what it is.

j-10 can fight very well against jf-17, mig-29, su-30, mirage

With all due respect - we do not know it yet. Especially against Su-30....

You can bought FC 2000 from China directly more or less the same capabilities with JF 17
Since many years China has stopped any new improvements on its FC-1. It is Pakistan that gives importance to JF-17 than China does. FC-1/JF-17 has drag issues, it takes a longer time to reach a height than similar planes, its maximum speed is lower than even F-7BG. Why it should be JF-17 when we already have similar or better plane like F-7BG?

The one advantage of JF-17 is its arsenal has BVR, and the F-7BGI does not. How many JF-17s are in operation throughout the world? There are 2400 F-7s in the world. The advantage of BVR capability has not yet been truly established in different air battles so far. Within Visual Range style of dog fighting is still followed by the pilots, who are heavily trained to focus on WVR.

Last edited:
Why are we forgetting about Mig-35?? BAF officers was present during it's opening ceremony and talk about Bangladesh's interest on this fighter, Russia offered us too . Russia is trying to save Mig's *** with this last resort so they are pushing BD, Myanmar, India and other countries for this. That's why Su-30 procurement is getting delayed. Indonesia got their Su-35 after negotiating 2 years. So today or tomorrow will get our Su-30. Waiting to see if BAF orders 16 MMRCA under G2G deal this year ( not MRCA tender). That will be big slap for those idiots spouting nonsense and hatred here.

brace yourselves for these words. bro '' why are u so jealeous ? :P We have money. we will buy everything we want. we will buy at least 2 or 3 sq for AF and 2 sq for naval strike. just a few billion dollar does not matter for BD. BD have strong economy and 3.5 x GDP than Myanmar. blah blah blah. lol yes. BD STRONK. :P

Yeah Myanmar army is soooooo STRONK that we can only see one picture of MAF's Mig-29 with full armaments. They are sooo STRONK that they build 3000 ton super stealthy shallow hull warships locally which can't even sustain sea state 4 and have pedestal mounted 3rd class air defense cause they can't afford to buy frigates from other countries.

F14_2.png

26169710_10204004141540028_7767662454439615677_n.jpg

And they are sooo STRONK that their soldier wear half-pants and uses 3rd class gear in field.

26230356_198825734001275_2576505832749622281_n.jpg

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom