What's new

Gripen for Bangladesh?

Why are we forgetting about Mig-35?? BAF officers was present during it's opening ceremony and talk about Bangladesh's interest on this fighter, Russia offered us too . Russia is trying to save Mig's *** with this last resort so they are pushing BD, Myanmar, India and other countries for this. That's why Su-30 procurement is getting delayed. Indonesia got their Su-35 after negotiating 2 years. So today or tomorrow will get our Su-30. Waiting to see if BAF orders 16 MMRCA under G2G deal this year ( not MRCA tender). That will be big slap for those idiots spouting nonsense and hatred here.

In light of the recent crashes, of the yak-130 (and the supposed faulty FBW of it), do you think it would be the right choice for us to go after a new and unproven platform like Mig-35?

In light of the recent crashes, of the yak-130 (and the supposed faulty FBW of it), do you think it would be the right choice for us to go after a new and unproven platform like Mig-35?

Is J-10 or Jf-17 proven platform?? Mig-35 is just an upgraded Mig-29 with upgraded avionics, radar, engine, heavier payload and longer range. So yeah proven or not i will put my bet on Mig-35 than putting it on J-10 or JF-17 cause that's best we can get with our limited budget. J-10 can be good option but China's own engine tech isn't matured yet. And our pilots are familiar with Russian and Chinese fighters. So yeah Mig 35 is good replacement for F-7. The Gripen is almost out of the question, you do realize that you have to spend more money in inducting new platform for training, infrastructure, weapons-ammo, spares etc than Russian-Chinese aircraft. Stick with Russian-Chinese options for now. It will be surprising for many of us if BAF goes for Western aircraft breaking the trend and if they can get that without any problem and with full features. Cause i don't believe we can afford western aircraft with this budget, not yet. And hey accident happens. Even western aircraft crashes sometimes. Doesn't mean you have to stop everything. Even if you want to you don't have much options. Those are even worse than the first one.

Last edited:
Since many years China has stopped any new improvements on its FC-1. It is Pakistan that gives importance to JF-17 than China does. FC-1/JF-17 has drag issues, it takes a longer time to reach a height than similar planes, its maximum speed is lower than even F-7BG. Why it should be JF-17 when we already have similar or better plane like F-7BG?

The one advantage of JF-17 is its arsenal has BVR, and the F-7BGI does not. How many JF-17s are in operation throughout the world? There are 2400 F-7s in the world. The advantage of BVR capability has not yet been truly established in different air battles so far. Within Visual Range style of dog fighting is still followed by the pilots, who are heavily trained to focus on WVR.
Even at it's current form, JFs are deadly in networked environment!!! With block 3 it'll be deadlier!!! And, maintenance cost is low. A great way to build on #s and capability!!! TuAF is also considering it. Not to mention the Turkish additions like ASELPOD, EW-POD etc. and very special PAF tricks (that comes with a free mind that can utter "La Ilaha" from the bottom of the heart even for 40 seconds).....

Last edited by a moderator:
Is J-10 or Jf-17 proven platform?? Mig-35 is just an upgraded Mig-29 with upgraded avionics, radar, engine, heavier payload and longer range. So yeah proven or not i will put my bet on Mig-35 than putting it on J-10 or JF-17 cause that's best we can get with our limited budget. J-10 can be good option but China's own engine tech isn't matured yet. And our pilots are familiar with Russian and Chinese fighters. So yeah Mig 35 is good replacement for F-7. The Gripen is almost out of the question, you do realize that you have to spend more money in inducting new platform for training, infrastructure, weapons-ammo, spares etc than Russian-Chinese aircraft. Stick with Russian-Chinese options for now. It will be surprising for many of us if BAF goes for Western aircraft breaking the trend and if they can get that without any problem and with full features. Cause i don't believe we can afford western aircraft with this budget, not yet. And hey accident happens. Even western aircraft crashes sometimes. Doesn't mean you have to stop everything. Even if you want to you don't have much options. Those are even worse than the first one.

Of course BD can afford a Western fighter like Gripen.

They may come in at 60-65 million US dollars apiece but operational costs are much lower than Russia or even Chinese. Over the "life-cycle" of the aircraft the total cost would be similar.

You aware that the 1 billion dollar a year that BD government has been spending on Padma Bridge since 2015 will finally come to an end at the end of this fiscal?

Just asking , if Bangladesh can afford western equipment then why do you suggest for gripen? I believe f16 will be better for bangladesh.
Just cost is slightly higher ! What say you? Honestly I don't know much about military jets

They may come in at 60-65 million US dollars apiece but operational costs are much lower than Russia or even Chinese. Over the "life-cycle" of the aircraft the total cost would be similar.

You aware that the 1 billion dollar a year that BD government has been spending on Padma Bridge since 2015 will finally come to an end at the end of this fiscal?

As i said it will be surprising. Wake me up when it will happen. I will gladly join the celebration.

Just asking , if Bangladesh can afford western equipment then why do you suggest for gripen? I believe f16 will be better for bangladesh.
Just cost is slightly higher ! What say you? Honestly I don't know much about military jets

F-16 has a very old 1970s airframe and the Swedish plane has a more modern design is one big advantage.

F-16 will soon come to the end of production as buyers are running out and so spares and upgrades will be an issue. Gripen will be the primary plane for Sweden and large customers like Brazil for decades to come, and so spares and upgrades are guaranteed.

US will most probably ask for some kind of basing rights in BD in exchange for F-16 and this is totally unacceptable to BD. Yes Gripen can also be blocked by US due to engine but I think BD will have to give less to get it than F-16.

F-16 has a very old 1970s airframe and the Swedish plane has a more modern design is one big advantage.

F-16 will soon come to the end of production as buyers are running out and so spares and upgrades will be an issue. Gripen will be the primary plane for Sweden and large customers like Brazil for decades to come, and so spares and upgrades are guaranteed.

US will most probably ask for some kind of basing rights in BD in exchange for F-16 and this is totally unacceptable to BD. Yes Gripen can also be blocked by US due to engine but I think BD will have to give less to get it than F-16.
Yes good point ,Thank you .

Yes good point ,Thank you .

I believe that the new Gripen E is so potent that even a fleet of 12 can shoot the whole of the 50 or so Mig-29s and JF-17s of Myanmar out of the sky with ease.

The AESA radar on the Gripen E is made by the UK which has radar technology on par with US and the one on the Mig-35 is the poorest - even inferior to the one of the Chinese J-10C fighter. Gripen also comes with Meteor ramjet AAM which is rated to be the best long-range AAM in the world currently.

I believe that the new Gripen E is so potent that even a fleet of 12 can shoot the whole of the 50 or so Mig-29s and JF-17s of Myanmar out of the sky with ease.
Yes I also heard something like ( from a professional) that number doesn't make anyone winner ,but sophisticated logistics are the key .
So probably you are not wrong in this case . But I will be surprised if the ratio is such high ,means if 12 aircraft can really beat 50/60! But if it's the reality then of course we need it.

Last edited:
Yes I also heard something like ( from a professional) that number doesn't make anyone winner ,but sophisticated logistics are the key .
So probably you are not wrong in this case . But I will be surprised if the ration is such high ,means if 12 aircraft can really beat 50/60! But if it's the reality then of course we need it.

Maybe not 50/60 in a single battle but over a period of time. Losses of Gripen to Myanmar's Mig-29s and JF-17 will be miniscule as it so much more advanced in terms of it's technology and also it's network centric warfare which the other two aircraft lack.

Maybe not 50/60 in a single battle but over a period of time. Losses of Gripen to Myanmar's Mig-29s and JF-17 will be miniscule as it so much more advanced in terms of it's technology and also it's network centric warfare which the other two aircraft lack.
Yes got it . It was a fruitful discussion for my better understanding,I am convinced now. thank you again ! :)

MIG-35 also has a brand new FBW system which the previous MIG-29 lags. And this is where my concern stands. Mig 35 has not been formally inducted in Russian AF,in fact its still in flight testing. so, IMHO, not enough flight hours has been logged to hint that its FBW system is fully mature. JF-17 afaik,does not have a FBW system. I dont know much about crashes of j-10 due to faulty FBW

MIG-35 also has a brand new FBW system which the previous MIG-29 lags. And this is where my concern stands. Mig 35 has not been formally inducted in Russian AF,in fact its still in flight testing. so, IMHO, not enough flight hours has been logged to hint that its FBW system is fully mature. JF-17 afaik,does not have a FBW system. I dont know much about crashes of j-10 due to faulty FBW

Not all aircraft require FBW. Mig-29 is designed to auto stabilize whereas SU-30 cant even fly without a fbw.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom