What's new

Gripen for Bangladesh?

Gripen E would be the version that BD would be interested in.
That would come to 65-70 million dollars each.
BD is unlikely to order more than a single squadron at a time.
Say it orders 16, that would be 1 billion US dollars. It can pay
for them over 5 years I would say. Remember BD defence budget is growing
7% a year in real terms and so these weapons will become cheaper
over time.
In comparison, the J-10 price is below 30 million. I believe, BAF will go for the Chinese option. It can buy 16 units of China at half the price. Whatever may the export earnings, BD is still an underdeveloped country striving hard to float above the water. Shall it spend $60/70 million for a single unit of plane? I have difficulties to understand the urge for spending such an amount. Other components of BAF remaining weak, only Gripen cannot enhance its ability to strike quick and far. Everything should be in tandem with each other.

In comparison, the J-10 price is below 30 million. I believe, BAF will go for the Chinese option. It can buy 16 units of China at half the price. Whatever may the export earnings, BD is still an underdeveloped country striving hard to float above the water. Shall it spend $60/70 million for a single unit of plane? I have difficulties to understand the urge for spending such an amount. Other components of BAF remaining weak, only Gripen cannot enhance its ability to strike quick and far. Everything should be in tandem with each other.

J-10B is around 45 million dollars per plane.

J-10B is around 45 million dollars per plane.
No, it is about $40 million a piece. However, BAF may get it at a discount, who knows.

http://en.people.cn/90001/90776/90786/6875587.html

Below is a news report that says China has offered its J-10 planes to BAF.

China Offered Bangladesh Air Force J-10B Fighter Jet, Y-20 Heavy Lift Transport & KJ-200 AEW&CS Aircrafts worth $1Bn in Soft Loan to Counter India-Bangladesh Defence Agreement

China giving $1 billion to Bangladesh Air Force to buy Chengdu J-10B, Y-20 heavy lift transport aircraft and many more. A Russian blog and East Pendulum twitter account tweeted that Bangladesh and China negotiating each-other for $1 bn arms deal almost all of which is related to aircrafts. China offered 16 Chengdu J-10B, 1 Xian Y-20 heavy lift military transport aircraft, 1 Shaanxi KJ-200 AEW&C aircraft, and 7 K-8W Karakorum intermediate jet trainer aircrafts to Bangladesh Air Force.

China trying to counter india’s $500 million loan to Bangladesh to buy Russian weapons. It is now prestige issue for Beijing to maintain high-ground regarding Dhaka. Delhi offered military training, arms and other supports during indian defense minister monohor porikar’s Dhaka visit, which Bangladesh Armed Forces rejected then.

Still this is a rumor, though, experts believe that what is rumored regarding China-Bangladesh military dealings is true. Because previously Bangladesh bought Chinese fighter trainers to train BAF’s combat pilots. Many Bangladeshi pilots got training in China for flying J-10 fighter jets. And this is expected for many days that BAF would buy Chengdu J-10B jets in some number.

As BAF currently operating Lockheed Martin C-130J Hercules medium transport aircrafts and need a bigger one, they choose newly developed Chinese heavy lift Y-20 military transport aircraft which is analogous to American C-17 Globemaster III

No, it is about $40 million a piece. However, BAF may get it at a discount, who knows.

China Offered Bangladesh Air Force J-10B Fighter Jet, Y-20 Heavy Lift Transport & KJ-200 AEW&CS Aircrafts worth $1Bn in Soft Loan to Counter India-Bangladesh Defence Agreement

China giving $1 billion to Bangladesh Air Force to buy Chengdu J-10B, Y-20 heavy lift transport aircraft and many more. A Russian blog and East Pendulum twitter account tweeted that Bangladesh and China negotiating each-other for $1 bn arms deal almost all of which is related to aircrafts. China offered 16 Chengdu J-10B, 1 Xian Y-20 heavy lift military transport aircraft, 1 Shaanxi KJ-200 AEW&C aircraft, and 7 K-8W Karakorum intermediate jet trainer aircrafts to Bangladesh Air Force.

China trying to counter india’s $500 million loan to Bangladesh to buy Russian weapons. It is now prestige issue for Beijing to maintain high-ground regarding Dhaka. Delhi offered military training, arms and other supports during indian defense minister monohor porikar’s Dhaka visit, which Bangladesh Armed Forces rejected then.

Still this is a rumor, though, experts believe that what is rumored regarding China-Bangladesh military dealings is true. Because previously Bangladesh bought Chinese fighter trainers to train BAF’s combat pilots. Many Bangladeshi pilots got training in China for flying J-10 fighter jets. And this is expected for many days that BAF would buy Chengdu J-10B jets in some number.

As BAF currently operating Lockheed Martin C-130J Hercules medium transport aircrafts and need a bigger one, they choose newly developed Chinese heavy lift Y-20 military transport aircraft which is analogous to American C-17 Globemaster III

that news article(the one from people .cn) is from 2010. so they most certainly do not cost around 40 million a piece. And Gripen E would most likely cost around 100 million a piece. also BAF currently operates C130B and negotiating for the J variants AFAIK.

What political strings? We like the western way and we are too much dependent on western countries. We must have close relation with the west anyway......

It is often quoted as a reason for BD not considering western stuff.... I personally think it is a load of crap.... it has been to date all about money. That is less of an issue now.

For BAF I think we must have a western platform as these are significantly better than Russian or Chinese.

that news article(the one from people .cn) is from 2010. so they most certainly do not cost around 40 million a piece. And Gripen E would most likely cost around 100 million a piece. also BAF currently operates C130B and negotiating for the J variants AFAIK.

Nope, Gripen E is 2/3rds the cost of Rafale and Eurofighter that cost around 100 million dollars per plane.
It is cheaper as it is single-engined compared to the other two planes.

BAF although small has all other elements in place..... it only lacks jets in my opinion.

It is often quoted as a reason for BD not considering western stuff.... I personally think it is a load of crap.... it has been to date all about money. That is less of an issue now.

For BAF I think we must have a western platform as these are significantly better than Russian or Chinese.

I doubt whether Rafale or Eurofighter are significantly better than J-10C.
Remember that the J-10C has cut-down J-20 radar and other avionics and also has
the same stealth coatings as well.

I think J10c is a good plane.... but I also think it is prudent to buy from different sources.... I personal choice would be BAF comprising of Chinese and a Western platform.

AL-31FN is the replacement engine for the Chinese WS-10 turbofan engine in J-10B and J-10C. AL-31FN is a Russian engine. It is also used in SU-27. Its thrust is 134.3 kN (30,200 lbf).

Some people wrongly think that because the Chinese planes are cheaper than the western ones, therefore, they are inferior. But, it may not be the reality. We have to think of the technical features of a plane and not its export price as the base of quality. Prices go up and down because of the labor cost in a country and the labor efficiency as well. Chinese hourly wages are much lower than the western countries.

AL-31FN
270px-Saturn_AL-31_FN_1.jpg

http://en.people.cn/90001/90776/90786/6875587.html

Are you confident that Bangladesh could use Chinese fighters against Myanmar? The best bet for Bangladesh is to go for the F-16s.

If they can why can't we?? Both air forces have mostly Chinese fighters in their fleet.

Does Bangladesh exert the same kind of influence on China as Myanmar does? Not even close. In case of Bangla-Myanmar war China would undoubtedly support Myanmar. Period. China would only support Bangladesh in case of Indo-Bangla war.

Are you confident that Bangladesh could use Chinese fighters against Myanmar? The best bet for Bangladesh is to go for the F-16s.
F-16 is certainly the best bet. But, it is expensive and the US govt. may not be willing to sell it to BAF. BD has to allow a reconnaissance outpost somewhere near Teknaf as a concession.

F-16 is certainly the best bet. But, it is expensive and the US govt. may not be willing to sell it to BAF. BD has to allow a reconnaissance outpost somewhere near Teknaf as a concession.

May be or may not be but it would ensure Bangladesh gets strong support from US & the west on Rohingya issue against Myanmar.

Myanmar has influence over China?? Since when?? :o: I thought it was the opposite. China has influence on both sides but not that much on BD like they have on Myanmar. In case of war they will try to stop it instead of supporting anyone. Cause they have business and other interest in both country. And no one is stupid to ground their fleet during war whether China stop giving supply or not. Both party will fight till their last ammo and weapon if there's a war.

Myanmar provides both gas and access to BoB & Indian Ocean to China. Bangladesh does not have a direct border with China and cannot provide neither of them. You would be naive to think China would support Bangladesh against Myanmar in case of a war.

Back
Top Bottom