What's new

Featured Govt to clear $2 billion deal for Israeli-made AWACS amid stand-off with China

The numbers sold do not necessarily equate to the ultimate power of a platform. F22 has fewer sales than your JF17. Understand better.

I think that maybe a comparison too far, Phalcon readily available on the open market like Erieye at a similar cost base, a more accurate comparison maybe between say the Gripen and the F-16. Gripen is very good and in some aspects better then the F-16. The F-16 is adaptable, used widely and can plug into networks easier.

Proof of the pudding is Erieye is used by NATO, Brazil, UAE, Saudia. Many of these countries can afford top notch equipment. Yes Phalcon is a decent system but just because India use it, that does not make it better then Erieye, also I would take a SAAB 2000 over an IL-76 for servicability any day of the week, and twice on Sundays

I think that maybe a comparison too far, Phalcon readily available on the open market like Erieye at a similar cost base, a more accurate comparison maybe between say the Gripen and the F-16. Gripen is very good and in some aspects better then the F-16. The F-16 is adaptable, used widely and can plug into networks easier.

Proof of the pudding is Erieye is used by NATO, Brazil, UAE, Saudia. Many of these countries can afford top notch equipment. Yes Phalcon is a decent system but just because India use it, that does not make it better then Erieye, also I would take a SAAB 2000 over an IL-76 for servicability any day of the week, and twice on Sundays

PS When you say "understand better", try and take your own advice.

Pakistani Erieye is not the same version of erieye NATO uses. Just like Pakistan's F16 was not comparable to NATO F16s of similar model. Export versions is a downgraded version and not interoperable with NATO. Phalcon is also a much larger aircraft and platform . You are comparing a leer jet to a 747-8 . But I digress, and not here to convince you. My purpose for my original comment was to congratulate India on a purchase using our ally Israel's advanced technology, far better than anything its neighbors have and a very customized platform.

Last edited:
Lets just say I wont join indian defence sites to gloat about it.

lets say that many chinese bots and misinformation campaign failed miserably... how can you prove that you are not a BOT?

Pakistani Erieye is not the same version of erieye NATO uses. Just like Pakistan's F16 was not comparable to NATO F16s of similar model. Export versions is a downgraded version and not interoperable with NATO. Phalcon is also a much larger aircraft and platform . You are comparing a leer jet to a 747-8 . But I digress, and not here to convince you. My purpose for my original comment was to congratulate India on a purchase using our ally Israel's advanced technology, far better than anything its neighbors have and a very customized platform.

Again, you seem to be hiding ignorance as knowledge, every system on the planet is downgraded compared to that of it;s original country of manufacture. Indian Rafales are not the same as French, everyone knows this. Can Erieye operate with Link 16 and other assets that use Link 16? Yes. By the way it's "Lear Jet, not "leer jet". Is the Phalcon "far better" then Erieye? I am unsure and real capabilities of both are highly classified, what I do know is that on Feb 27th 2019, PAF were using Erieye. For me that is more of a statement than anyone anonymous poster on the internet can ever provide.....

Again, you seem to be hiding ignorance as knowledge, every system on the planet is downgraded compared to that of it;s original country of manufacture. Indian Rafales are not the same as French, everyone knows this. Can Erieye operate with Link 16 and other assets that use Link 16? Yes. By the way it's "Lear Jet, not "leer jet". Is the Phalcon "far better" then Erieye? I am unsure and real capabilities of both are highly classified, what I do know is that on Feb 27th 2019, PAF were using Erieye. For me that is more of a statement than anyone anonymous poster on the internet can ever provide.....

Thank you for pointing out my typo. Both capabilities are not "highly" classified; there is plenty of it publically available. Your Erieye is not compatible with internal NATO comms, period. It does not come with both communication equipment or software to be CISMOA compliant. Have a nice day.

Thank you for pointing out my typo. Both capabilities are not "highly" classified; there is plenty of it publically available. Your Erieye is not compatible with internal NATO comms, period. It does not come with both communication equipment or software to be CISMOA compliant. Have a nice day.

True capabilities of almost all sophisticated systems are classified, what you read on the internet is not the real capability. It's why only a select few nations are given real briefings on new equipment or aircraft, otherwise they can spend 5 seconds reading about them on Wiki. This really is very basic stuff that anyone serious about defence knows.

I am unsure if you realise what CISMOA really means. It is not a NATO standard agreement, it is specific to US equipment, we are talking about Swedish and Israeli systems. I am really getting the impression you need to read up on this subject more.

lets say that many chinese bots and misinformation campaign failed miserably... how can you prove that you are not a BOT?

Your leadership is providing ammo for trolls. Note ban to rapid lockdown. Modi is surrounded by yes men. "radar blocks clouds". Airforce "yes, great idea".

indian logic:
instead of questioning the manufacturer of the same isreali made awacs that couldn't detect nor track a single JF-17 and Mirage that bombed 6 different indian bases in broad daylight, the indians double down on it and order more!!! :woot: good job, keep it up!!! :enjoy:

2 AWACS for 2 billion dollars bloody hell. Feels like everyone is taking Indians for a ride now a days.:rofl:.I hope it is Gold platted and diamond studded for India to be willing to spend a billion for just one AWACS.
Bro if you PM is a chai wala illetrate anyone will make him fool

2 AWACS for 2 billion dollars bloody hell. Feels like everyone is taking Indians for a ride now a days.:rofl:.I hope it is Gold platted and diamond studded for India to be willing to spend a billion for just one AWACS.

Don't think it is 2 billion for 2, think it might be more than that.

Couple of points here

1) This "deal" has been "cleared" about 8 times over the last 10 years if Google is anything to go by, so lets wait and see.
2) They are ordering the same type (upgraded) of kit that they ordered 20 years ago on the same old platform. AEW has moved on since than.
3) $1 Billion per platform is insane, PAF purchased 3 kits of Erieye for $158 million, purchased planes seperately and got essentially a new AEW platform for $70 million per plane. Even if you take into account difference between Swedish and Israeli radars this price is insane, especially considering India has operated a large IL-76 fleet for years so training, infrastrcuture, spares etc is already in place
4) It is still nowhere near enough to cover both fronts and is too little too late, especially now they may actually need 24/7 coverage of LAC. Including NETA even when delivered they will only have 7 AEW. They will need at least 5 to ensure one airborne at LAC constantly. Leaves very little for other areas such as Pak border and East.
5) Choosing IL-76 for new Phalcon is a big mistake. Newer platform that will be around for longer and is more efficient would give them more time in the air. There is a reason most countries have gone with twin engined commercial airliners. Easy to maintain, quick turn around times and easy spares available commericially. The IL-76 is notoriuosly maintenence heavy and spares will require Russian levels of service.

All in all a very efficient way of wasting $2 Billion very quickly. With that money you could of either purchased 8 more NETAs and give yourself a great force of 13 planes and semi decent coverage across all of India and at the same time spent the money developing Indian defence industry. Also a big follow on order for NETA would have given potential foreign buyers such as Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Malaysia confidence. Fact IAF did not speaks volumes.
That is assuming NETA works..
It probably doesnt..hence the phalcon order

Also the reason why they arent switching plateform is time restain..recertifying a new plan will take 3-4 years and more money

That is assuming NETA works..
It probably doesnt..hence the phalcon order

Also the reason why they arent switching plateform is time restain..recertifying a new plan will take 3-4 years and more money

Yes true, but no country is stupid enough to buy just two of these platforms for $2 billion, but we are talking about India so anything could be possible.

If that's the case I have a prime real estate in Australia, Sydney, harbor view, right on the water, historic, the Sydney Opera House could be Indias for just $70 billion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom