What's new

Giant 3D Printer

Industrial 3D printers are a revolution in technology.
But also very expensive. Right now, it's not something a small company can afford to use in a big enough scale to be profitable. This will only occur when larger companies use it on a large industrial scale, which would lower the price of said printers.

A few old pictures。A lot of water has since passed under the bridge::enjoy:

s_e710db8005f04dc9a2904c051062db74.jpg

s_7928ff890bcf400f8bb81baf5b8e91e9.jpg

s_28739fa00ecd427ba31b0a0f6c4769d0.jpg

s_e07bfb3e6e05406bbdd2d8c2786f6fbe.jpg

s_c84caa82829d4b48b85423d3d54a7361.jpg

With the technology,it now takes China literally months to turn blue prints into a flying prototype,and at much less cost。 :smitten:

Beyond prototyping and 3-D concept demonstrations, I think 3-D printing has an excellent outlook for individualized prosthetic devices in medical applications. In that application each person is one of a kind and the value of the part, say a heart valve component, is very high.

With the technology,it now takes China literally months to turn blue prints into a flying prototype,and at much less cost。 :smitten:

Only if we have the material and the material has to be pulverized before hand doesnt it?

How many countries can manufacture 3-D printers?

China, USA, UK, japan, Germany France .. do I miss anyone?

Last edited:
I understand what you're saying. 3D printing does have it's benefits.But the simple fact that additive manufacturing works with layers of material and therefore it is not known for the material properties it imparts on the products.

What I'm trying to say is, the parts you mention are likely highly specialized and relatively small. I.O.W not suitable for large scale manufacturing.

Okay :)

Today fighters are much more expensive, produced in much smaller scale than in the old days, so 3D printing technology is very cost-effective in this industry.

Today fighters are much more expensive, produced in much smaller scale than in the old days, so 3D printing technology is very cost-effective in this industry.

You might be right, let's see how it goes :)

Only if we have the material and the material has to be pulverized before hand doesnt it?

How many countries can manufacture 3-D printers?

China, USA, UK, japan, Germany France .. do I miss anyone?

I think you mean industrial scale printers.

Small scale printers are made in India too :)

It's not just the up coming 3d printers, China is world leader in the current tech too, it's the leader in CNC machines and forges, correct me if I am wrong.

February 07, 2014

3D printing huge objects will impact the world economy not small hobbyist crap

China is investing heavily in 3D printing, just like those in the U.S. and Europe.

In June, China announced a gigantic 3D printer, which they claimed was the world’s largest at the time, with a 1.8 meter build diameter. Basically the thing could print out a nice sized bathroom vanity if you wanted it to.

Southern Fan Co. (As Translated from Chinese), is completing a printer this month which will be able to print out metal objects approximately 6 meters, or 18 feet in diameter and 10 meters long (33 feet). The metal parts can weigh up to 300 tons.

The company will be able to print out the entire frame of just about any four wheeled automobile on Earth.

There is a 3D printer in China for large titanium parts. They are fabbing the titanium main frame of the windshield of a domestically made C919 passenger aircraft. A Huaming team used 3D printing technology to make the part. It only took 55 days and cost less than $ 200,000. Normally they would order from Europe and it would cost $ 2,000,000 for production by die forging and delivery would take up to two years.

There are already several large scale industrial 3D printers in China, including the one in the image above, in which a team at Beihang University has been able to print out several complex titanium alloy structures. This includes parts used in satellites, rockets, and nuclear power plants. These are actual parts, and not prototypes for parts. Also larger parts such as titanium alloy landing gear for jets, as well as large main force bearing frames of air crafts have been, and continue to be produce by this printer.

3D printing huge objects will impact the world economy not small hobbyist crap

Back
Top Bottom