What's new

German air force to bid 'Pharewell' to last F-4Fs

Manticore

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Germany will retire its last operational McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantom IIs on 29 June, with the veteran type's duties having been assumed by Eurofighter units.

After almost 40 years of service, the final interceptors will be retired during a decommissioning event to be staged at the Luftwaffe's Wittmund air base.

The final German examples are operated by the air force's JG 71 "Richthofen" squadron, which was also the first to begin flying the type, in March 1974. Delivered in 1973, its first F-4F, 37+01, received a special livery for the occasion.

A total of 263 Phantoms were acquired by Germany, the air force says, including 88 in the RF-4E reconnaissance configuration, from 1971.

Flightglobal's MiliCAS database shows Germany's retirement of the Phantom will reduce the global frontline fleet of the type to 431 aircraft, operated by the air forces of Egypt, Greece, Iran, Japan, South Korea and Turkey. The US Air Force also has more than 150 examples, which have been adapted for use as QF-4 aerial targets.

PICTURE: German air force to bid 'Pharewell' to last F-4Fs

GetAsset.aspx

I used to live in Trier, and the F-4's would go by at full-afterburner (on their way to the Fulda gap, common exercise). Would knock you off your feet. Of course, those were mainly US ones....early 70's. When you go to an air show these days they seldom give you a real sonic boom.

So Germans are only looking in to getting EF-2000s?
And is there any project of 5th Generation going on in EU???

So Germans are only looking in to getting EF-2000s?
And is there any project of 5th Generation going on in EU???

Nope, they also have the Tornados, which will be upgraded to extend the life and additional drones are meant to be procured. EU looks only Eurocanards, F35 and mainly on UCAVs for the future. The next NG fighter project will come only to replace the Eurocanards.

So... Germans will have an all-EFT air force now?

Classy!

About time they militarized.

So... Germans will have an all-EFT air force now?

Classy!

About time they militarized.

Germany isn't militarising,they have 143 EF on order and they will keep around 80 Tornados.220+ jets isn't that big.They don't need to,contrary to what stupid people are blabering around here Europe is quite united,there won't be a war within and even with the downsizing there is no force in the world(i doubt there will ever be) that can take on the european countries combined.I'm just amazed how people who don't live here and don't have a clue are telling us how things are,you can't even compare the relations between european countries amongst themselves and what's going on in the rest of the world.

Germany isn't militarising,they have 143 EF on order and they will keep around 80 Tornados.220+ jets isn't that big.They don't need to,contrary to what stupid people are blabering around here Europe is quite united,there won't be a war within and even with the downsizing there is no force in the world(i doubt there will ever be) that can take on the european countries combined.I'm just amazed how people who don't live here and don't have a clue are telling us how things are,you can't even compare the relations between european countries amongst themselves and what's going on in the rest of the world.

Calm down, Romanian friend. Militarizing doesn't essentially mean attacking other states.

I was simply saying that it was about time since WW2 that they move towards a stronger military.

There is no harm in strengthening national defence right?

Calm down, Romanian friend. Militarizing doesn't essentially mean attacking other states.

I was simply saying that it was about time since WW2 that they move towards a stronger military.

There is no harm in strengthening national defence right?

Ok,sry for beeing to jumpy :P

Anyway,they actually will have/have a much weaker military than they had during the Cold War(60's-90's).Downsizing is the operative word,not only for Germany but for the whole European continent.

Back
Top Bottom